Going on the hunt alone

Rhonlynn

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Yes, I was taught the same thing when I was growing up, and I know that is what they teach in many areas. It is definitely NOT the recommended procedure on NYC buses or the subway system. It is definitely NOT the recommended procedure in areas of gang activity. The law enforcement officer who lives next door confirmed that "avert your eyes/keep moving" is what they teach in this area. But hey, come on out to our NYC urban areas and test your method ... let me know how you do.

It worked for me last time I was in downtown Dallas, it worked for me all up and down the Atlantic ports in Europe, and island hopping in the Carribean. Of course in a city that disarms its law abiding citizenry the criminals can feel bold.

AtP

I'm new to this, but I've been out both solo and with friends/family. For me, the best things in life are shared with loved ones, and that extends to geocaching. There's nothing wrong with going solo, and that sure beats no geocaching at all! I just like to be with someone, that's all.

Like many other posters, it bugs me that we live in a society where women (and increasingly men, too) cannot feel comfortable being out alone. I can remotely relate to this. The last hunt I was on took us to a spot that had all the earmarks of gang activity, judging from the grafitti, spray cans, and beer bottles. I was with a friend and while we're not big he-man types, but we're both in good shape and athletic. However, this place definitely gave us the creeps and I wouldn't want to be there in the evening.

I was in Germany on business earlier this year and spend a week in Munich. The women I talked to there about this topic couldn't even relate to feeling uncomfortable while out alone. Two of them regularly jogged through parks at night without hesitation (and not together). Not an extensive sampling, but revealing nonetheless.

I always carry pepper spray, a cell phone and a stout walking stick. I have contemplated carrying a .45 automatic and probably will add this at sometime. My main fear is getting biten by a poisonous snake (Rattle, Coral or Cottonmouth) and not being able to get help soon enough. I live in N FL, and nearby S GA has the highest concentration of rattlesnakes per square foot in the whole US. Gators are only a consideration during mating and nesting season, when they enlarge their territories and become more aggressive. Wild Pigs, bears, Jaguarundi? -- luckily I haven't seen any of these yet but they are there too.

I agree with tntyz. When I got interested in geo-Caching, I got interested because I thought it was a great way for my other half and I to spend some time together. We already enjoyed "rolling picnics" where we just head out in the car and stop whenever we see something nice and pack a lunch to eat along the way. The most miles we put on one of those trips was a little over 600, so driving to nearby caches should not be a problem at all for us. hehehehehe

I have thought of doing some alone, especially when I know I will be in an area that has some. But it just does not seem to have the same enticement as it does when you have someone to share it with.

I like going with my kids but when they are remote

and in the woods I'll go alone or with my dog. When I go at night into the forest I prefer to go alone most of the time, I hunt and fish, i'm also very suspicious of strangers by nature. To the guy 6'4" and 230+ lbs, all I got to say is be careful, do'nt kid yourself-remember DELIVERANCE..ya'll too can be made to squeal like a hog.. icon_eek.gif

I like going with my kids but when they are remote

and in the woods I'll go alone or with my dog. When I go at night into the forest I prefer to go alone most of the time, I hunt and fish, i'm also very suspicious of strangers by nature. To the guy 6'4" and 230+ lbs, all I got to say is be careful, do'nt kid yourself-remember DELIVERANCE..ya'll too can be made to squeal like a hog.. icon_eek.gif