Going on the hunt alone

Rhonlynn

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonlynn:

Does anyone hunt for Geocaches alone? If you know where you're going...That is...

I quite often cache alone - if it's nice outside, and I fancy a walk, I'll go do a cache.

But I find I am normally more successful when I go with friends, or with my partner. That way, we tend to rely less on the GPS, and one of us ends up looking in the correct spot.

But it also depends where it is. I don't mind hiking in the woods alone - but a lot of women would (so would a fair few men). I wouldn't cache alone in a place I had never been to before - just in case the worst happened.

If I do go alone, I make sure that people have known I've gone out (makes sense really) - again, just in case the worst happens.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

Yeah, I normally cache alone. Sometimes with my wife and son, or a friend, but usually alone. I mostly cache at lunch or before work so it's just easier to cache by myself. I would not want my wife to cache alone as I have been some places that are not exactly the safest in the world. I'm a pretty big guy so I don't scare too easy and I usually carry a hiking staff and it has many uses!

icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

Yeah, I normally cache alone. Sometimes with my wife and son, or a friend, but usually alone. I mostly cache at lunch or before work so it's just easier to cache by myself. I would not want my wife to cache alone as I have been some places that are not exactly the safest in the world. I'm a pretty big guy so I don't scare too easy and I usually carry a hiking staff and it has many uses!

icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

Over 2oo caches and the majority of them have been alone. Safty would really depend on where you were going and the difficulty of the cache. I have fallen out of trees fallen in creeks, all while alone, came across maybe 15 rattlers. Alot of the caches here in So Cal you could call urban so they would be alright to do alone, although with all the homeless in the area if I was a female I wouldn't do them alone, I guess it all boils down to, do you feel safe by yourself.? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Over 2oo caches and the majority of them have been alone. Safty would really depend on where you were going and the difficulty of the cache. I have fallen out of trees fallen in creeks, all while alone, came across maybe 15 rattlers. Alot of the caches here in So Cal you could call urban so they would be alright to do alone, although with all the homeless in the area if I was a female I wouldn't do them alone, I guess it all boils down to, do you feel safe by yourself.? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I just wanted some opinions. I'm female, and a nurse, and know the majority of the trails around here, where quite often these are hidden. I found my first Geocache today, alone. I'm a nurse, and my off days are often two in a row in the middle of the week, then I'm working for a few days. I don't know anyone who has the days off I do, so I went alone today, and found it, without much trouble. It was really fun.

Well, I should say that I too am a RN who works 12 hour shifts and as a result have 4 days a week free to geocache or whatever. I usually go by myself because there is no one else free on the days and times that I like to go.

Recently, I had somthing happen which caught me off gaurd. I was checking on a remote cache which was suppose to be in an area not frequently visited. Low and behold, while at the cache site, I encountered a couple looking for "mushrooms" and a guy who was mountain biking. This in the middle of the week. Seems that some of those caches are not so remote after all. I would recommend caution while geocaching and always at least have a cell phone and preferabably a means of self defense at hand. Granted most people are benign, but it only takes one.

Wesley Horto

I often go with my family, but sometimes when I get some free time I go out on my own. Today I went on one sort of remote cache, and kind of wished I had brought something more than my hiking staff for protection. I saw along the trail some waste from some large animal that ate something with fur. I'm no expert, so I'm probably wrong, but it looked kinda like cougar poop. I had no cell phone reception out there, and though I had my FRS radio, chances of reaching anyone on it in an emergency were slim to none. But all went fine...it just kind of got me thinking about preparedness for situations, and self-reliance when all alone.

Also, the cache required some climbing, which I don't like to do...plus I'm a bit afraid of heights...but I came a long way for this, and so I went for it anyway, and it all worked out fine. But all the "what ifs" were certainly going through my mind.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by Drive-in:

Recently, I had somthing happen which caught me off gaurd. I was checking on a remote cache which was suppose to be in an area not frequently visited. Low and behold, while at the cache site, I encountered a couple looking for "mushrooms" and a guy who was mountain biking. This in the middle of the week. Seems that some of those caches are not so remote after all. I would recommend caution while geocaching and always at least have a cell phone and preferabably a means of self defense at hand. Granted most people are benign, but it only takes one.

Wesley Horto

Not that there is anything wrong with being a woman. I just cannot relate to what it must be like for some women when alone some place and a stranger(s) happens by and the first thought that runs through your mind is 'what would I do...?'

Being 6'4" and 230+ lbs. is usually sufficient deterent to prevent unwanted hostility from strangers.

To answer the topic question, I've never geocached with anyone else. I think that's the attraction for me. It's one of the few things I prefer to do alone. Hiking through the bush etc. is often good contemplation time. Everyone needs to be alone once in awhile to reflect on things. The fresh air and uncorrupted environment is ideal for that. Although, I wouldn't mind running into someone once in awhile either.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

....unless I'm introducing people to the sport or with really close friends. I usually go for hunts that require a moderate hike and this gives me a chance to enjoy the solitude of the outdoors.

Nonetheless, I may be alone but I almost always have the company of my two four-legged companions. So I guess I kinda have a couple of guardian angels (actually, they're more like imps).

27485_300.gif

My favorite caches, hikes, etc. are the long, hard, challenging ones. They're also the ones that nobody else seems to believe they are capable of doing. icon_biggrin.gif

I've done a few caches with a person or few along, but the vast (um, make that *VAST*) majority have been solo. Among those are two hikes >20 miles, several Arkansas and Tennessee mountain hikes (12 miles or less), an 8.5 mile downstream paddle, a 4-hour paddle in the Tensaw River delta, and a lot more hiking and paddling (including in 3-4 foot waves on Lake Pontchartrain).

The thing to remember about solo caching (or anything) is that you *are* alone. If you need help or medical attention, you had better have it with you. If you've got cell towers near enough, great, but other than that, be careful. Oh, while a GPS receiver will not necessarily stop you from getting lost, at least you'll know *precisely* how lost you are. icon_biggrin.gif

My favorite caches, hikes, etc. are the long, hard, challenging ones. They're also the ones that nobody else seems to believe they are capable of doing. icon_biggrin.gif

I've done a few caches with a person or few along, but the vast (um, make that *VAST*) majority have been solo. Among those are two hikes >20 miles, several Arkansas and Tennessee mountain hikes (12 miles or less), an 8.5 mile downstream paddle, a 4-hour paddle in the Tensaw River delta, and a lot more hiking and paddling (including in 3-4 foot waves on Lake Pontchartrain).

The thing to remember about solo caching (or anything) is that you *are* alone. If you need help or medical attention, you had better have it with you. If you've got cell towers near enough, great, but other than that, be careful. Oh, while a GPS receiver will not necessarily stop you from getting lost, at least you'll know *precisely* how lost you are. icon_biggrin.gif

I go alone most of the time. Other times my wife comes along. I _do_ genrerally take the mutt, not that she is any security!

I do worry at times. I'm a 53 year old male. The other day I was at a local park and noticed that all the other people there were male. Come to find out it is a well-known gay pick-up spot. No danger, but uncomfortable for me!

I have been concerned about dogs, though. Many are let to run loose. I'll be getting some pepper spray soon...

Bluespreacher

I am just getting started (13 so far) and I have managed to bring my daughter along on all of them so far. I can see that I am a lot more interested in going out caching than she is and a time will soon come when I will have to do most of my outings on my own. I don't look forward to that as half of the fun for me is sharing the experience but many of you seem to be having a good time alone so maybe it will be more interesting than I imagine.

Just as Maj. Bach said earlier, I'm glad I'm not a woman. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to always think "what would I do if" everytime I step into an unfamiliar area. I have gone solo on all but a couple of my finds. I too have strange hours, so it's easier for me to go by my self. Is there any other RN's with your schedule? What about someone with your schedule at another facility that you could get addicted.

I've gone out hunting by myself. I have martial arts background a couple of huge Labs, and sometimes a colt .45. I wouldn't think of going out with out my Labs. But only becuz they make the hike more fun. And I don't look like a total nut out there, talking to myself.

When I can, I drag my husband, granddaughter, or a friend tho.

What I do today is Important - I spent a day in my life doing it.

I am in your geographic area, and I cache alone quite often. Yes, there are several caches in the area where I would be concerned for your safety (worse parts of town, hazardous locations or just plain spooky). If you see an interesting cache in the area, look at the logs people have written. They will clue you in: for example, see Salute To Batman (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1850&logs=y&decrypt=)

If you still want to go and need a partner, you could probably convince me to go along with you once in a while. Also, note that virtual caches are almost always right by the road and if you feel unsafe, you can just keep on driving.

of course, the other suggestions are still good too:

- leave a note telling where you are going

- take proper safety and protective gear

- take a cell phone

- be aware of your surroundings all the time

- beware of strangers (oooh, that includes me, doesn't it?)

- listen to that little voice that says "this doesn't look like a really good place to be" and leave

I was considering taking pepper spray along with me when traveling in unfamiliar areas. I was thinking more for fending off dogs on the loose and crazies wanting to give me a hard time. I began to think about it when I was out with my daughter and found myself more concerned about her safety than mine, but I am now considering it for my solo outings too. Does anyone have any experience with pepper spray?

Geocacher posted May 01, 2002 06:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was considering taking pepper spray along with me when traveling in unfamiliar areas. I was thinking more for fending off dogs on the loose and crazies wanting to give me a hard time. I began to think about it when I was out with my daughter and found myself more concerned about her safety than mine, but I am now considering it for my solo outings too. Does anyone have any experience with pepper spray?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't pepper spray my dog. Most dogs I have come across are territorial, and won't bother you aside from maybe barking a warning for their owners sake. I've had a couple run up at me as if to jump me. but as long as i faced them and yelled in an authoratative tone, they back off. But then, i'm comfortable around dogs, so this may be easier said then done.

I feel, its the way you carry yourself more then anything. whether its animals or people, if you have an air of confidence about you, your less likely to be bothered. You might not be 6'5 but if you act like you are, it will come across.

Always be aware of your surrounding. look people as well as dogs in the eyes. acknowledge them in passing. If they had any thoughts of attacking you, you just foiled them.

It doesn't hurt to have something in your hand or pocket just in case. a hand full of small stones, thrown at an attacker will usually cause enough surprise to help you get away. Pepper spray doesn't work, unless you get it directly in their eyes. that means standing there aiming. its quicker to throw a rock and run.

I do alot of solo "Bush" hiking / seeking here in the desert south west ---- some areas are desolate

(paths less travled) I e-mail one omy children as to the area I'm going to --- if the old mad does not show up at a given time the can / will call out the dogs. Pepper spray, oh well I do carry it when I cycle --- have used it once (big dog)

Get Out & Enjoy icon_razz.gif

Mzee --- The Seeker!

I do alot of solo "Bush" hiking / seeking here in the desert south west ---- some areas are desolate

(paths less travled) I e-mail one omy children as to the area I'm going to --- if the old mad does not show up at a given time the can / will call out the dogs. Pepper spray, oh well I do carry it when I cycle --- have used it once (big dog)

Get Out & Enjoy icon_razz.gif

Mzee --- The Seeker!

For those uncomfortable with firearms. A stout walking stick will do fairly well. I almost never carry but I do like a good stick. This is good for stability in some cases, knocking back thorns, and can be intimidating if necessary.

Just an option. icon_wink.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

For those uncomfortable with firearms. A stout walking stick will do fairly well. I almost never carry but I do like a good stick. This is good for stability in some cases, knocking back thorns, and can be intimidating if necessary.

Just an option. icon_wink.gif

inceptor

quote:
Originally posted by megatech:

... I'm with the guy who said he takes his Colt.45 along! I have a permit and so does my wife. Sadly your own safety is really up to you. ... Carry concealed, and be discreet, and you will be ok. I don't think anyone would blame a woman. I don't carry every time,but depending where I am going, I might. Remember the movie "Deliverance"? Need I say more?

Yeah, right. And by the time you got out your concealed weapon, you'd be singing "Sooo-weee."

quote:
Originally posted by Lost & Found:

... I feel, its the way you carry yourself more then anything. whether its animals or people, if you have an air of confidence about you, your less likely to be bothered. You might not be 6'5 but if you act like you are, it will come across.

Always be aware of your surrounding. look people as well as dogs in the eyes. acknowledge them in passing. If they had any thoughts of attacking you, you just foiled them. ...

Where y'all from? 'Round these parts, they teach kids and older folk NOT to look people who appear to be uneasy or "out of place" in the eye or acknowledge them when passing. You could be the next victim of a gang initiate ... or just a reg'lar ol' sociopath.

Of course, around here, I'm usually the one exiting the woods, disheveled and carrying gear, so I always offer any seniors and mommies I pass on the trails a smile and friendly greeting to lessen their anxiety. And I keep walking. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on May 05, 2002 at 09:01 AM.]

quote:

... I feel, its the way you carry yourself more then anything. whether its animals or people, if you have an air of confidence about you, your less likely to be bothered. You might not be 6'5 but if you act like you are, it will come across.

Always be aware of your surrounding. look people as well as dogs in the eyes. acknowledge them in passing. If they had any thoughts of attacking you, you just foiled them. ...

Where y'all from? 'Round these parts, they teach kids and older folk NOT to look people who appear to be uneasy or "out of place" in the eye or acknowledge them when passing. You could be the next victim of a gang initiate ... or just a reg'lar ol' sociopath.

Of course, around here, I'm usually the one exiting the woods, disheveled and carrying gear, so I always offer any seniors and mommies I pass on the trails a smile and friendly greeting to lessen their anxiety. And I keep walking. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on May 05, 2002 at 09:01 AM.]

Ive only been at this for a little over a month now and have only logged a few hunts. My wife has joined me on a couple but i have gone alone on most. Ive never had a concern about another person causing me grief, but i have seen a few snakes, spiders, and other creepy crawlers. Not common to be bitten by one of these, but it only takes one time. Just use common sense, let someone know where you are going, keep your eyes open, bring water and extra batteries for the GPSR if its a long trek, wouldnt hurt to carry a cell phone either. Remember that a cell phone wont work everywhere!

reply to bassoonpilotWhere y'all from? 'Round these parts, they teach kids and older folk NOT to look people who appear to be uneasy or "out of place" in the eye or acknowledge them when passing. You could be the next victim of a gang initiate ... or just a reg'lar ol' sociopath.

Looking people in the eye is something my dad taught me growing up. He is U.S.M.C. Retired. As I mentioned in an earlier messege, I have martial arts background. He was my first instructor. I stand by my statement. acknowledge ... be aware.. Even law enforcement officials tell you the same thing.

He also taught me how to use a Colt .45

icon_wink.gif

reply to bassoonpilotWhere y'all from? 'Round these parts, they teach kids and older folk NOT to look people who appear to be uneasy or "out of place" in the eye or acknowledge them when passing. You could be the next victim of a gang initiate ... or just a reg'lar ol' sociopath.

Looking people in the eye is something my dad taught me growing up. He is U.S.M.C. Retired. As I mentioned in an earlier messege, I have martial arts background. He was my first instructor. I stand by my statement. acknowledge ... be aware.. Even law enforcement officials tell you the same thing.

He also taught me how to use a Colt .45

icon_wink.gif

I agree with Lost&Found. Looking the stranger in the idea is the way to go, in my opinion.

When you come across a stranger, you have a limited amount of time to size up the situation. If you don't look them in the eye, you lose valuable information and you appear weaker.

quote:

reply to bassoonpilot:

Yes, I was taught the same thing when I was growing up, and I know that is what they teach in many areas. It is definitely NOT the recommended procedure on NYC buses or the subway system. It is definitely NOT the recommended procedure in areas of gang activity. The law enforcement officer who lives next door confirmed that "avert your eyes/keep moving" is what they teach in this area. But hey, come on out to our NYC urban areas and test your method ... let me know how you do.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

When you come across a stranger, you have a limited amount of time to size up the situation. If you don't look them in the eye, you lose valuable information and you appear weaker.

Absolutely! Sometimes you can diffuse a situation with a friendly smile, OR you can see something coming. I can go from nice to @$$*@!! in about .5 seconds. icon_biggrin.gif

I usually cache by myself. A person by themselves can be a target. A man by himself people will wonder about. When I can get the wife to go, people seldom give us a second glance. We are just another couple out for a walk.

inceptor

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Absolutely! Sometimes you can diffuse a situation with a friendly smile, OR you can see something coming. I can go from nice to @$$*@!! in about .5 seconds. icon_biggrin.gif

I usually cache by myself. A person by themselves can be a target. A man by himself people will wonder about. When I can get the wife to go, people seldom give us a second glance. We are just another couple out for a walk.

inceptor

I've done most of my caches usually with one or two of my kids, but when summer gets here and if the cache is back in the hills I'll probably do it alone.

Which brings another problem, we do have Mtn. Lions out here, there is even a warning on the local bike path in town about "Cats"

So if I'm alone I will be carrying an insurance policy made by Remington. icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

I've done most of my caches usually with one or two of my kids, but when summer gets here and if the cache is back in the hills I'll probably do it alone.

Which brings another problem, we do have Mtn. Lions out here, there is even a warning on the local bike path in town about "Cats"

So if I'm alone I will be carrying an insurance policy made by Remington. icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->