New Cache Type!!!

avroair

I'm not sure I got this right or not, but I recall reading somewhere the meaning/explanation of the word Geocache.......

Geo = Earth,

Cache = stashed goods/supplies.

Now, I may be missing something here but, does this not make the term "Earth Cache" redundant?

Could there not be a more appropriate name for this new cache type that isn't just a new way of saying the same thing we refer to all our caches as?

Like perhaps Eco Cache?

Just a question of curiosity.

Earthcaches are educational virtual caches which are being developed around the world. They aim to provide geocachers with a small lesson about the geology of the wonderful planet on which we live. Earthcaches are a project of the Geological Society of America and its partners (including Groundspeak).

Earthcache Central

... wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.

I have used the geosociety.com on-line submission form twice (two submissions on the same EarthCache in the NoVa/MD area) both submissions came back/rejected saying the delivery address was "unknown" and not deliverable. I sent the GSA a separate e-mail asking for guidance, but so far...no response.

Regards,

Bill

Based on what I have been reading, there should be the opportunity to place some in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I have identified a couple spots that might qualify. I sent the NPS an email to see if they are interested.

My question is: do all the NPS Earthcaches have to participate in the grant project? The formal grant submission, 10 day work requirement, publication history and geologist status knocks me out of the running if that is the case.

Doh! 10 days of work!! :D

I'd forgotten about this but the EarthCache listing I'd submitted had gotten approved, listed, and found by several folks.

Sounds like they enjoyed the hunt - and the destination - so I'm a happy earthcache lister!!!

Cool.....

Hey, if that's eligible, how about Bear Rock in Pyramid Mtn? I read somewhere that its the largest single boulder in NJ. Tripod Rock would probably qualify, but there's already a cache there. There are numerous other erratics (that's erratics, not erotics guys) in northern NJ that might be eligible.

Most of the sites I can think of already have caches. Turtle Rocks, Millington Gorge, the Great Swamp, Hatfield Swamp.

Hmmm, maybe Sandy Hook is a possiblity? Being in the Gateway National Recreation Area, real caches are banned there. There might be a way to incorporate Sandy Hook as an earthcache.

Some other ideas might be found here, here and here.