Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Sorry LeadDog and Earthdog Patrick. I posted the event on both of the other Indiana forums, but not on this one.

Yes, Ali Kat's B-day is actually the 6th, so I planned it all out for the 5th, and got busy and didn't type the page up....and then Mr. I beat me to the punch. So we corresponded back and forth and decided that 6pm would be enough time for you to do his event, cache till dark, and then head up to her event for dinner, cake, and a couple beers to take the chill off. Hope you can come.

Sorry LeadDog and Earthdog Patrick. I posted the event on both of the other Indiana forums, but not on this one.

Yes, Ali Kat's B-day is actually the 6th, so I planned it all out for the 5th, and got busy and didn't type the page up....and then Mr. I beat me to the punch. So we corresponded back and forth and decided that 6pm would be enough time for you to do his event, cache till dark, and then head up to her event for dinner, cake, and a couple beers to take the chill off. Hope you can come.

Aw that sucks, to bad it didn't work out the other way around! Well tell Ali, Nana & Papa 501 wishes her well, but we'll have to see her at a later date. Hope everyone has a great time though.

Anyone planning on geocaching in the blizzard thats comming <g>

Star

Blizzard - I love Blizzard's. Really like the Snickers one. But, any flavor will do. :laughing:

Oh! you're talking about the weather. Already was out today. Quit around 1:00pm when the visability started to get too low. Picked up 11 caches and went over 600 today. If they approve it, hid one as well.

Torry, I thought of you recently while I was caching. Oh, I just knew your mind would fly to that special place only it knows the way to. No, the muse was prompted by this photo, and I thought you might have some fun with it:

02df8910-84bc-4721-a35d-047fe6c6a501.jpg

Sheesh. I need to visit more often. Didn't even notice this. .... hmmmmmmmm...

"... this little piggy went to market ...."

Anyone planning on geocaching in the blizzard thats comming <g>

Star

Blizzard - I love Blizzard's. Really like the Snickers one. But, any flavor will do. :laughing:

Oh! you're talking about the weather. Already was out today. Quit around 1:00pm when the visability started to get too low. Picked up 11 caches and went over 600 today. If they approve it, hid one as well.

Congratulations to you !!!

I wish. the one in the driveway is a grand prix( 4 door) and the one on the lower left is a another grand prix (2 door) and the one on the lower right is a Chrysler Concorde. Now that I really look at the pix thay do look the same although there all different tones of red.

took me 2 hrs to get the driveway clean.

I wish. the one in the driveway is a grand prix( 4 door) and the one on the lower left is a another grand prix (2 door) and the one on the lower right is a Chrysler Concorde. Now that I really look at the pix thay do look the same although there all different tones of red.

took me 2 hrs to get the driveway clean.

Today would have been Dads 78th birthday, Happy Birthday Dad.

It's also the one year anniversary of Cybret, DieselDoc, and Blackjeep Squadron finding the caches here where I finally got to meet them. Hooray!

And an Early Merry Christmas as well. :mmraspberry:

Awwwww...I had forgotten all about that! What a great day!

Thanks for the memory!

And Merry Christmas!

Today would have been Dads 78th birthday, Happy Birthday Dad.

It's also the one year anniversary of Cybret, DieselDoc, and Blackjeep Squadron finding the caches here where I finally got to meet them. Hooray!

And an Early Merry Christmas as well. :rolleyes:

Awwwww...I had forgotten all about that! What a great day!

Thanks for the memory!

And Merry Christmas!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...42-dccc41e503d6

A great day indeed. :)

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I wanted to ask an Indiana-specific question and I figured this thread would be the best place. My architecture professor and I are working on a project where people use geocaching to retrace a pilgrimage that we've designed between New Harmony and St. Meinrad's Indiana.

We had a studio project where each student designed a building for 20 sites along our route between the two cities and we want to go and plant those proposals along the route as soon as the weather allows.

What I'm interested to know is how you guys, the veteran geocahers of Indiana, would propose we get people to actually follow the route we designed rather than just inputting the waypoints and hopping on and off the highways to find the above mentioned sites. We have directions and a pretty cool google-earth map; but we don't know how well the idea of explicit directions would mesh with geocaching--and the practice of geocaching is the real cool part of the project so we want to set this experience up in a way that would be inviting to geocachers. Any advice you have would be really wonderful!

-Isaac/nomovement

What I'm interested to know is how you guys, the veteran geocahers of Indiana, would propose we get people to actually follow the route we designed rather than just inputting the waypoints and hopping on and off the highways to find the above mentioned sites.

-Isaac/nomovement

There is NO WAY to bend Geocachers to your will. They will circumvent your intentions EVERY TIME.

They are like squirrels at the bird feeder--you cannot defeat them.

You could, however, require photos of things along the route--and make it a huge multi that requires going to the caches in order, to gather clues as to where to go next--but I don't know if the smiley hounds will want to find so many stages...

One thing you could do is host a meet and greet at a local restaurant, then hand out the coords and everybody could caravan to the caches... Make sure it is a place that serves salty greasy food and beer, tho! :back:

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I wanted to ask an Indiana-specific question and I figured this thread would be the best place. My architecture professor and I are working on a project where people use geocaching to retrace a pilgrimage that we've designed between New Harmony and St. Meinrad's Indiana.

We had a studio project where each student designed a building for 20 sites along our route between the two cities and we want to go and plant those proposals along the route as soon as the weather allows.

What I'm interested to know is how you guys, the veteran geocahers of Indiana, would propose we get people to actually follow the route we designed rather than just inputting the waypoints and hopping on and off the highways to find the above mentioned sites. We have directions and a pretty cool google-earth map; but we don't know how well the idea of explicit directions would mesh with geocaching--and the practice of geocaching is the real cool part of the project so we want to set this experience up in a way that would be inviting to geocachers. Any advice you have would be really wonderful!

-Isaac/nomovement

You proposal sounds very interesting. I love it when caching shows me architectural gems, and your post made me go and look up St Meinrad's, which is new to me, and now I am planning on visiting the area just to see the abbey (and cache,too of course. Too bad the cache at the abbey's gates was disabled in July. The last log reads as if the cache is done for good, but it's only disabled and not archived.)

As mentioned, you could make it a long multi cache, and include a hint or coords for the next stage in each cache along the way, but be aware that doing that has an intrinsic problem: one missing or muggled cache stops the entire game until you can get there to fix it. Another option is to make each stop it's own independent cache (and additional smiley for each find, which is always nice for cachers) and include a partial hint for a final bonus cache, so that it is necessary for the cacher to complete the entire series in order to find the bonus cache, which should be a large cache with lots of good swag, as a prize and incentive to complete the game. And if you specify that only by finding each one in the proper order will put the hints in the right order to make sense for the finale, that may help with your linear pilgrimage some. Problem with that idea is that no cacher MUST complete all stages if they don't care about seeking the final; they still get grins for every one they did find.

And yes, it's true that neither idea compels the cacher to forgo the freeway in favor of your pilgrimage route. But many will, if you state that clearly in your descriptions, because for many of us, caching is more about the journey than the numbers, and I truly appreciate and enjoy caches that show me history, architecture, nature and beauty. Show me that along the way and I won't want to miss a mile of it.

Looking forward to your game!

Any advice you have would be really wonderful!

-Isaac/nomovement

Welcome to the forum! Your idea sounds intriguing! I agree with 2qwerqe and also with sixdog (can't believe that! :rolleyes: ) - there is no way to ensure that some cachers won't just freeeway hop to pick up the individual caches. Having said that, one idea is to name each cache sequentially in the order you would like them to be found, such as Architectural Tour #1 - *name of proposed building at this stop", Architectural Tour #2 - "name of proposed building at this stop', etc. That would at least give those of us who are after more than the smiley (although we want the smiley, too) an easy way to follow the path you design. It would also be nice if you bookmarked the whole series so all the caches could be downloaded in one file.

We don't get down your way too often, but we have camped at Harmonie SP before and just need a good reason, like a cool cache series, to make a return trip. Count us among those who would find the theme interesting. Good luck with your idea!

Mrs. Car54

Great replies everybody. Thanks for your help. I have to say to Earthdog that of course we don't want to try to bend geocachers to our will, if we tried, I'm sure we'd get ex-communicated. And, umm, There this cool little biker-bar that's right on the route, so don't count out getting a few beers and maybe a prime rib sandwich. One of my concerns about a 20-stop cache is that it might take too much time and that obligation might be off putting; so I was thinking maybe we could try to group the caches in groups of 2-4. All of the sites average about 4 miles from each other so that way, people might not even see a benefit of going back to the highway.

In response to 2qwerqe, You should go to St. Meinrads anyway because it is so beautiful. When you see the chapel you might think you're in Europe; but you're not. We actually have someone in Indiana who is going to hide and maintain all of our caches (with her two boys) so if anything was muggled, we could have it fixed within a week of its reporting. I really like the idea of hiding hints about the next stop with each cache and that sounds like a real ball so thanks for the suggestion! There are some really amazing spaces between the different sites and it is really eye-opening what a beautiful country we live in...but only of you go on the right streets. Would it be sacrilege to include a map with our cache? It would give a structure to the path without really revealing where the cache is actually hidden...

Car 54, thanks for your input. New Harmony is a really cool little town, and there's a diner there with the best 1.98 bacon cheeseburgers I've ever had. We will definitely try to either present the series together or at least bookmark them in order with appropriate titles.

Keep the advice flowing-you guys are the ones who know. That said, what, in your opinion, is really good swag? We've only done one geocache so far (here in Chicago) and it got removed from geocaching because the kid who set it up made it a little risky...lesson learned; but he did have cool schwag-it was an old Police t-shirt (like sting police)..I'm trying to figure out what kind of prize could be really appropriate for the project. One Idea I had would be to put sequentially numbered coins in each cache, and when each member completes the route, they can trade those coins for a book about this project that we're going to publish. Does that sound cool?

Thanks again,

nomovement

... That said, what, in your opinion, is really good swag? ... One Idea I had would be to put sequentially numbered coins in each cache, and when each member completes the route, they can trade those coins for a book about this project that we're going to publish. Does that sound cool?

Thanks again,

nomovement

The coin/book trade idea is great! I would definately strive to complete the game for that book. But it can get expensive for you if each cacher needs 20 coins to redeem for the book. (maybe one coin per 4-5 caches/stages as you indicated would be better for you.) Of course, you will get the coins back and can reuse them, but be aware that some coin hounds out there keep and collect coins, and you can count on many of them going missing. Because once they are separated from the cache, the casual cacher who finds one won't know it's intended purpose and will treat it like any other coin: move it along cache to cache, or keep it in a collection. Pathtags are less expensive; you might look into that idea.

As for other good swag: good is in the eye of the beholder, but camping/outdoor items and toys for the kids are always appreciated.