Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Got a new personal best on one-day geocache finds yesterday on a run with the venerabale Buddaman-found 32 caches, 31 of which were these ISQ things in cemeteries--they are easy to do and fun and I would recommend them to anyone who likes to GEOCACHE inINDIANA. Found cacahes in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.found caches by Team Tigger and Kodiak kid and the SHADOW and I think, *Mystery Dog*

;)

Hi all.

A question about caching in Indiana. :rolleyes:

I know that the DNR requires permits to place in any of the state-run FWAs. Has anyone tried to place caches there - if so, how frustrating was it to get a license? There are several nice spots way down in the tip of Indiana (near Hovey Lake), and I was just wondering if the general consensus was it's worth trying for the license, or that since there's an endangered species there, there's no chance, or ... (it's a waterfowl, and I'm not thinking a cache requiring a boat, so...

The cache that is already in that FWA was placed there without a license, so the owners weren't able to help with the process. (I checked). They hadn't realized you needed a license, so they're removing it (I encouraged them to try asking, but we'll see what they opt to do).

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried getting a license to place in an FWA and if there was tons of red-tape, or if it went smoothly, or whatnot.

Thanks!

Hi all.

A question about caching in Indiana. :D

I know that the DNR requires permits to place in any of the state-run FWAs. Has anyone tried to place caches there - if so, how frustrating was it to get a license? There are several nice spots way down in the tip of Indiana (near Hovey Lake), and I was just wondering if the general consensus was it's worth trying for the license, or that since there's an endangered species there, there's no chance, or ... (it's a waterfowl, and I'm not thinking a cache requiring a boat, so...

The cache that is already in that FWA was placed there without a license, so the owners weren't able to help with the process. (I checked). They hadn't realized you needed a license, so they're removing it (I encouraged them to try asking, but we'll see what they opt to do).

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried getting a license to place in an FWA and if there was tons of red-tape, or if it went smoothly, or whatnot.

Thanks!

The DNR FWA's are NWTE IMHO,TMSAISTI!

Are all you APE'ers ready?

Hey all. I guess that I'm the first to get back home to INDIANA after a big day of GEOCACHING over in Illinois. I believe that our Project APE run was a phenominal success. Several cachers in our group hit milestones today with the APE cache. Let's see if I can remember them all:

• Joypa - 350
  • Rupert2 - 400
  • Car54 - 400
  • -{LoS}-Xile - 800
  • WilliamsFamGC - 900
  • 4damFam - 1000 finds!
  • and me with 531 :D

Congratulations to all. I think that we'll have to do something similar in the near future.

Hey all. I guess that I'm the first to get back home to INDIANA after a big day of GEOCACHING over in Illinois. I believe that our Project APE run was a phenominal success. Several cachers in our group hit milestones today with the APE cache. Let's see if I can remember them all:
  • Joypa - 350
  • Rupert2 - 400
  • Car54 - 400
  • -{LoS}-Xile - 800
  • WilliamsFamGC - 900
  • 4damFam - 1000 finds!
  • and me with 531 :D

Congratulations to all. I think that we'll have to do something similar in the near future.

congrats to all!

Have any of you seen these Windows Live Local bird's eye images of indy? It's like you're in a plane right above the city. They would be awesome for finding landmarks near a cache location. I hope we get these things for the whole state soon.

Heres the 90 Minutes of Gas geocache area in birds eye mode.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...2c%20IN%2046038

Edit: I just realized if you click on the compass you can rotate too. Awesome!

Edited by dougsmiley
Sounds like you guys had a good time. Wish I could of came, but from the Muncie area, it was just too long of a drive. Maybe next time!

I'm from warsaw and i drove down there to go with them. and there were people that drove allot farther than me to meet in Lafayette.

should have went It was a blast. :ph34r:

Sounds like you guys had a good time. Wish I could of came, but from the Muncie area, it was just too long of a drive. Maybe next time!

I'm from warsaw and i drove down there to go with them. and there were people that drove allot farther than me to meet in Lafayette.

should have went It was a blast. B)

Yeah, and Wulf came from Canada. Thanks for the beer!. We had fun GEOCACHING in ILLINOIS!

:ph34r::);)

Since I can't be there all I can do is read the logs...

4damFam found Mission 12: Blind Canal (Project APE Cache)

#1000!!! I came up for this cache as a milestone, along with several other cachers from Indiana. This one was definitely a good one for the big milestone.

Thanks to Team Shydog for organizing the group and leading a fun expedition! And thanks to everyone that came along, which made it an even more memorable experience. It was great to be with such a fantastic group of cachers for this milestone.

78333ac6-7b1f-45c1-8fc8-150ad3d2ff32.jpg

Indiana cachers hitting milestones

This is the group of cachers hitting this APE cache as a milestone. From left to right: Rupert2 - #400, WilliamsFamGC - #900, -{LoS}-Xile (back) #800, 4damFam - #1000, Mrs and Mr (back) Car54 - #400, and Joypa - #350.

WOW!!!

:blink::blink:

WEll, well, well, I am SO glad you folks had SO MUCH FUN drinking beer and GEOCACHING in ILLINIOS while this poor little dog had to stay home

ALL ALONE

ALL BY HISSELF

Just chewing on his dog cud, while the humans had so much fun.

Humpf!

:blink:

Oh my poor Patrick!

They left me all alone with my kitten and Min too. *pout*

I guess I should take comfort and knowing we shared exile from their fun.

At least they didn't lie to me when told me I had to stay home since you wouldn't be there.

poorweiner.jpg

-I'm just a poor weiner in a blanket-

Edited by ~Mystery Dog~

I see the accolades of yesterday's APE run are flowing well. To that end, I've been looking at a couple of possible sequels:

• Beverly: The oldest cache in Illinois (GC28), dating back to 13 May 2000. It's located near Barrington Hills, about 20 miles west of O'Hare Airport, not far off of I-90. There's also 55 caches within five miles of Beverly, from which a plan could be developed.
  • BoB: Placed by Team Idiot Savant (Genius Loci and Hutt), this is a series of 99 caches that stretch over about 12 miles in northern Chicago suburbs. See here for the "first" of the series. Given the density, this is a way of racking up a lot of cache finds in one day. A large group from Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Indiana tacked these last November, with one saying that he found 112 that day!

It is possible to go for both, but the BoB series is about 20 miles from Beverly. It doesn't sound far, but remember that this is Chicago. :blink:

I'm thinking that 8 April might be a good day to plan for. It currently doesn't conflict with any events in the region, and it's the first Saturday of daylight-saving time. Let me know if there's any interest in this.

Sounds like a good date. I'll come if I can. Don't be suprised if I get lost in chicago and never find you though, :blink:. BoB sounds like an awesome series of caches.

If anyone else is thinking of going from east-central indiana, let me know and maybe we can carpool.

Edited by dougsmiley
[*]BoB: Placed by Team Idiot Savant (Genius Loci and Hutt), this is a series of 99 caches that stretch over about 12 miles in northern Chicago suburbs. See here for the "first" of the series. Given the density, this is a way of racking up a lot of cache finds in one day. A large group from Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Indiana tacked these last November, with one saying that he found 112 that day!

I'm thinking that 8 April might be a good day to plan for. It currently doesn't conflict with any events in the region, and it's the first Saturday of daylight-saving time. Let me know if there's any interest in this.

Sign me up for the BoB run!!! We can do this!!! :blink:

WEll, well, well, I am SO glad you folks had SO MUCH FUN drinking beer and GEOCACHING in ILLINIOS while this poor little dog had to stay home

ALL ALONE

ALL BY HISSELF

Just chewing on his dog cud, while the humans had so much fun.

Humpf!

:blink:

Hey we were asking about the not so local celebrity... I was hoping that You'd have been coming along Patrick

[*]BoB: Placed by Team Idiot Savant (Genius Loci and Hutt), this is a series of 99 caches that stretch over about 12 miles in northern Chicago suburbs. See here for the "first" of the series. Given the density, this is a way of racking up a lot of cache finds in one day. A large group from Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Indiana tacked these last November, with one saying that he found 112 that day!

Sign me up for the BoB run!!! We can do this!!! :huh:

JAPTKD and I could easily have our arm twisted into going on a BoB run.

I PQed the bob series and looked at it in google earth. All 99 of them are within a 10 mile stretch along the lake. Certainly possible to find all of them in one day. The ones i've looked at are all close to parking lots, although some of them might cost $$ to park in.

I really hope I can come to this one. Again, if you're coming from the eastern side, indy and below, we should meet up somewhere and carpool.

Once we're in chicago, we should pile into as few vehicles as possible. Parking, getting lost, getting in the wrong lane, etc. will all be a problem. Thankfully, there will be at least one (probaly two!) gps's in each car, :unsure:.

It's starting to look like a BoB run is the one of interest, so unless there's a large outcry for Beverly, we can plan on going after the group of 99 in April. Should we be successful, everyone should hit a milestone on that trip. :unsure::anibad:

TeamLich has all the BoB caches bookmarked and public through any of the series. That makes it easy to create a PQ about them. I guess that I could spend the next three months plotting an optimum route for the run. In the meantime, we can get those stickers ready as -{LoS}-Xile suggested. (Good idea, I might add.)

The fastest I have heard anyone doing all 99 of the BOB caches was 5 hours. Jim of Prairie Partners and Dave of BBF did it in 6 hours. Daggy and I meandered and did it in 8 hours. Most of the caches are curb side parking and in good areas so you don't have to worry about your safety. All the logs are on metal strips velcroed to signs. You would definitely need radios because of the frequent turns and getting turned around. The Beverly Cache if I remember right was about a .40 hike. Easy terrain though. It is west of Chicago and the BOBs are north of the city. Traffic is a big problem when going through or around Chicago. Allow lots of travel time from Indiana to the start of the caches. Sounds like fun though. The BOBs will wear you out. It is funny how jumping in and out of a car all day is so tiring. Rather be hiking.

Deermark

The fastest I have heard anyone doing all 99 of the BOB caches was 5 hours. Jim of Prairie Partners and Dave of BBF did it in 6 hours. Daggy and I meandered and did it in 8 hours. Most of the caches are curb side parking and in good areas so you don't have to worry about your safety. All the logs are on metal strips velcroed to signs. You would definitely need radios because of the frequent turns and getting turned around. The Beverly Cache if I remember right was about a .40 hike. Easy terrain though. It is west of Chicago and the BOBs are north of the city. Traffic is a big problem when going through or around Chicago. Allow lots of travel time from Indiana to the start of the caches. Sounds like fun though. The BOBs will wear you out. It is funny how jumping in and out of a car all day is so tiring. Rather be hiking.

Deermark

The stickers should bevery small--half the size of an address return label or smaller--One of the preps we should do is practicing jumping in and out of vehicles!! Do it ten times a day, then work your way up...should be fun!

If as many as I think are going, we'd better make the stickers even smaller or we'll run out of room to put all of them on a logbook. Looks like a good meeting point would be BoB 1, right off of I-94.

Self-inking stamps would be alot easier than stickers. Theres a 3/4" X 3/4" version with 4 lines. That should fit on these logbooks. They're only $13 custimized how you want. Printer ink and sticker paper would be much more expensive. I'll just put:

08/04/06

DougSmiley

BoB Cache Run

Edited by dougsmiley

Deermark

i thought you said it was about three hours Mark.. LL maybe i just had that cheese ball and Brownies and other snacks stuffed in my ears at the Cachemas party...

Wow...there's been a huge Indiana invasion on my watchlist lately. You people get your own APE CACHE!!!! :laughing:

Congrats to everyone who found it. It really is a cool bit of caching history. Love the logs and the stories. I'll have to check for pictures when I get off this dial up and back on my broadband at home.

If any of you can make it, we're going to hold a meet n' greet in Terre Haute on the 26th of January. Would love to have you there!

Wings n' Things Nite

Bret

If any of you can make it, we're going to hold a meet n' greet in Terre Haute on the 26th of January. Would love to have you there!

Wings n' Things Nite

That's on a Thursday, which means that I would have to be into work the next day. On the other hand, Terre Haute is only about 90 minutes from Lafayette, so it might be doable. I'll see how I feel about going to a Thursday night GEOCACHING event further south in INDIANA as the date approaches.