Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

52805c90-6e8d-495d-b9b9-a866ad03a0a1.jpg

Well we have officially become the Beatles of Geocaching!! We have fans all over, even people in California want everybody to know who there favorite cachers are. Looks like we may have to start charging an appearance fee to come to the major events like the B.A.G.O. Hot Dog Bash and etc...!! :)

Oh MY!!

I took that as "I Luv Wet Willys", so that means you will still have to make a payment to the B.A.G.O. Bathroom Remodeling fund if you want to come hang out with us Indiana cachers again next year :)

I was thinking it meant "I Luv Wally World".

Oh MY!!

I took that as "I Luv Wet Willys", so that means you will still have to make a payment to the B.A.G.O. Bathroom Remodeling fund if you want to come hang out with us Indiana cachers again next year :)

We are NOT commiting funds to "bathroom remodeling" --If you people wouldn't squirm around you wouldn't get splinters in your butts!! (But you still have to bring uyour own TP) :)

Finally received an e-mail from the DNR in reply to the one I had sent them concerning the geocaching policy. My e-mail to them simply suggested a public hearing to discuss the policy, like they do for deer hunting regulations and such. I also suggested that the properties could hold more than 25 caches each, although I agree a limit must be in place. Here is the reply I got...

Your email expressing concern over the current Indiana DNR geocaching policy was received through our Upper Wabash Reservoirs geocaching account and forwarded to me.

Since geocaching began in 2000, geocaches proliferated in the Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs, and the DNR was forced to address the issue. Public comments were taken and geocachers were present at meetings held as the DNR drafted the first geocaching policy. The current geocaching policy was approved at the Natural Resource Commission quarterly meeting in November of 2004, and initiated on January 1, 2005. A geocaching forum thread in November of 2004 discussed this proposal, and provided follow up from geocachers that were present in the discussions.

The 25 geocaches per property rule has an administrative reason, rather than an ecological background. It is merely too difficult to manage via permitting hundreds of geocaches on some of our properties that have large acreage.

The majority of the feedback received regarding the policy has been positive. In the future, should changes in recreation use on DNR lands create a need to review the policy, we will re-address the current policy at future NRC meeting agendas are posted online for citizens to see at www.in.gov/nrc.

Just thought I would share it with everyone. Does anyone recall the original discussion on the forums that they speak of in this reply??

Pretty interesting that the 25 cache limit is administrative and not ecological. I don't think geocaching was as popular in 2004 as it is now. I'd say the policy needs to be reevaluated. I'm not a big fan of using permits for geocaches. I think it will be a growing trend that will not be good for the hobby. Today, I saw some caches archived "at request of LaPorte County Parks Department due to not having permit. Please remove container as soon as possible. The parks department allows caches, but they must have a permit."

Pretty soon parks will need new signs

that read "No Dogs, No Skateboarding, No Alcohol, and No Geocaching"

"No Cute Little Dogs, No Skateboarding, No Alcohol, No Geocaching, No Pigs, No Methane Dispensing Cows, No extinct Polar Bears, and Most of All,

No Disgusting Slimey Planet-killing Human Beings Allowed"

or

KEEP OFF THE FREAKIN' GRASS!!!!

"No Cute Little Dogs, No Skateboarding, No Alcohol, No Geocaching, No Pigs, No Methane Dispensing Cows, No extinct Polar Bears, and Most of All,

No Disgusting Slimey Planet-killing Human Beings Allowed"

Or

Welcome to Laporte County Parks, you can enjoy our parks as long as you sit in you cars and don't move.

The Kosciusko county visitors bureau is putting out some caches as part of a contest to promote area attractions. Saw the article on the front page of The Paper. Here is a link if you want to read it:

http://www.the-papers.com/OnlinePubs/defau...-14-08-05-20-08

Stopped in and got more info on Saturday. As the article stated, there are 3 differently themed multi-caches you can do (but you don't have to do all 3). Each of the 3 multis have nine stages. At each stage you collect a jigsaw puzzle piece and a clue to the next stage. Once you collect all nine jigsaw pieces, you can turn them in at the visitors bureau for a chance at prizes. The stages of the caches may be located in Marshall, Kosciusko, or Allen county as it is a joint effort between the three counties.

We found the first stage in two of the caches so far.

So is anyone doing the 30 Cache Dash? I know four cachers have logged one of the caches here in Kosciusko county. We've found five so far, and I know that one other cacher has found at least those same five. How about any of the cachers in Allen county, anybody there start on those caches? Anybody find all nine to complete a multi-cache yet?

Pretty interesting that the 25 cache limit is administrative and not ecological. I don't think geocaching was as popular in 2004 as it is now. I'd say the policy needs to be reevaluated. I'm not a big fan of using permits for geocaches. I think it will be a growing trend that will not be good for the hobby. Today, I saw some caches archived "at request of LaPorte County Parks Department due to not having permit. Please remove container as soon as possible. The parks department allows caches, but they must have a permit."

As popular NO, but there were still quite a few cachers and caches yes. I don't understand why people think filling out a single piece of paper is bad for geocaching. I know one cacher in Indiana who picked up a archived cache and placed a cache on DNR property all in one afternoon. This is DNR and cities property and they can do what they want with it. We, as cachers, should be thankful that they let us use their property, they could just as easily ban geocaching. Granted, we make them money by going to the parks to geocache also, so it would be foolish to ban geocaching. I think the permits are not a bad idea for several reasons. 1. If they do a control burn they know where the caches are. 2. They can control the number of caches, that way there isn't too many to where it becomes an ecological problem for the park. 3. I would also think that filling out a permit for parks will help put an end to the many bomb squad stories we have all heard, because no one knew what the container in the park was. 4. I don't think many of us realize what all goes into being a member of the DNR involves. I don't know exactly but I do know that they are always counting and collecting evidence to make sure the ecological system is in check for the area and are studying the animals in the parks to learn more about them. So if they also have to worry about fifty caches in a park that takes away from what the DNR was really intended for.

I don't understand how we can complain about filling out a sheet of paper when right now the majority of us have been finding the Spring Geocaching Quest caches where the state park is giving away prizes. These are also the same parks that did the Fall into Geocaching game that awarded Tee-shirts and Geocoins as prizes. So do I feel that filling out a sheet of paper that takes maybe twenty minutes to fill out is a terrible thing that will not be good for Geocaching, NO WAY!

As popular NO, but there were still quite a few cachers and caches yes. I don't understand why people think filling out a single piece of paper is bad for geocaching. I know one cacher in Indiana who picked up a archived cache and placed a cache on DNR property all in one afternoon. This is DNR and cities property and they can do what they want with it. We, as cachers, should be thankful that they let us use their property, they could just as easily ban geocaching. Granted, we make them money by going to the parks to geocache also, so it would be foolish to ban geocaching. I think the permits are not a bad idea for several reasons. 1. If they do a control burn they know where the caches are. 2. They can control the number of caches, that way there isn't too many to where it becomes an ecological problem for the park. 3. I would also think that filling out a permit for parks will help put an end to the many bomb squad stories we have all heard, because no one knew what the container in the park was. 4. I don't think many of us realize what all goes into being a member of the DNR involves. I don't know exactly but I do know that they are always counting and collecting evidence to make sure the ecological system is in check for the area and are studying the animals in the parks to learn more about them. So if they also have to worry about fifty caches in a park that takes away from what the DNR was really intended for.

I don't understand how we can complain about filling out a sheet of paper when right now the majority of us have been finding the Spring Geocaching Quest caches where the state park is giving away prizes. These are also the same parks that did the Fall into Geocaching game that awarded Tee-shirts and Geocoins as prizes. So do I feel that filling out a sheet of paper that takes maybe twenty minutes to fill out is a terrible thing that will not be good for Geocaching, NO WAY!

I agree.

This is DNR and cities property and they can do what they want with it. We, as cachers, should be thankful that they let us use their property, they could just as easily ban geocaching.

It's true the IDNR treats it as "their property"--but actually the reservoir waste lands belong to the citizens of Indiana and/or the United States (In the case of Corps of Engineers land)...and their ultimate ability to "do what they want with it" rests with the voters and our elected <_< representatives.

This is DNR and cities property and they can do what they want with it. We, as cachers, should be thankful that they let us use their property, they could just as easily ban geocaching.

It's true the IDNR treats it as "their property"--but actually the reservoir waste lands belong to the citizens of Indiana and/or the United States (In the case of Corps of Engineers land)...and their ultimate ability to "do what they want with it" rests with the voters and our elected <_< representatives.

The more our masters tells us what to do and where to go, what tree to pee on and what ball to fetch, the less free we are and the more our spirit withers in the depths of despair and depression.

The more our masters tells us what to do and where to go, what tree to pee on and what ball to fetch, the less free we are and the more our spirit withers in the depths of despair and depression.

Pretty deep thinking for a little dog that eats grass then throws it up... B)

Pretty deep thinking for a little dog that eats grass then throws it up... B)

If you're done talking to yourself, can we get back on topic: GEOCACHING IN INDIANA NOT IN THE WOODS ANYMORE?

Just thought I would jump in with a big hello. Just got started and grabbed my first cache last Friday! I'm soooo addicted. Am working on my sig. item and have plans for several other homemade items... I'm definitely in trouble!

Anyway, hello everyone and I look forward to the continual hunt!

Coyoteguy in Southern Indiana

Just thought I would jump in with a big hello. Just got started and grabbed my first cache last Friday! I'm soooo addicted. Am working on my sig. item and have plans for several other homemade items... I'm definitely in trouble!

Welcome Coyoteguy. Good luck on your hunt.

Watching the news and thought I'd imitate torry here. Of course, i'm not as good, since I could only come up with four.

4. If another car is already stranded in the water, by all means, try it yourself.

3. Berettas are actually NOT submersible, despite popular belief. If you want proof, ask some evansville cacher..

2. Just because you open your door and stare down like an idiot doesn't mean your neon is going to keep moving.

1. If you can no longer see the cement wall of the bridge, you might consider turning around. YES, this means you, redneck with monster truck.

A bridge near here actually washed out, and someone tried to drive through the flood over the bridge that was no longer there. Darwin Award candidate? :grin:

Watching the news and thought I'd imitate torry here. Of course, i'm not as good, since I could only come up with four.

4. If another car is already stranded in the water, by all means, try it yourself.

3. Berettas are actually NOT submersible, despite popular belief. If you want proof, ask some evansville cacher..

2. Just because you open your door and stare down like an idiot doesn't mean your neon is going to keep moving.

1. If you can no longer see the cement wall of the bridge, you might consider turning around. YES, this means you, redneck with monster truck.

A bridge near here actually washed out, and someone tried to drive through the flood over the bridge that was no longer there. Darwin Award candidate? :grin:

On my trek home I actually watched a guy keep going past three people waving their arms and telling him to stop. He tried to gun it halfway through.

Five minutes later he was sitting on the hood of his car smoking a cigarette from his newly made "car island."

Top ten signs you shouldn't be allowed to drive in bad weather.

10. There are more than three videos of you being rescued by a helicopter.

9. Your last car is now a man-made reef.

8. They've named a ditch after you.

7. Your car emergency kit includes jumper cable, duct tape and Jim Beam.

6. When you see a "Road Closed" sign you retort,"Wrong. They're open 24 hours."

5. Your spouse has the car painted bright orange to make it easier for the snowplows to dodge you.

4. The people in the AAA phone room recognize your voice.

3. "The key to being safe is to get home faster than the other people."

2. Salt truck drivers use your car as a landmark.

1. NOAA storm chasers use you for bait.

Welcome!

You soooo our kind of guy! :rolleyes:

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Indiana cachers. We've been caching for nearly a year now, but are just now becoming true addicts. We're even planning a vacation centered on geocaching. Nice to see a lot of familiar names here. Thanks for all the great caches in our area!

It's also great to see such genius in a little dog . . . :lol: . . . who's apparently a whiz at spelling . . . :rolleyes:

Edited by Indiana Johnson

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Indiana cachers. We've been caching for nearly a year now, but are just now becoming true addicts. We're even planning a vacation centered on geocaching. Nice to see a lot of familiar names here. Thanks for all the great caches in our area!

It's also great to see such genious in a little dog . . . :rolleyes:

Not only that, but I know how to spell "genius"!!

:lol:

It's also great to see such genious in a little dog . . . ;)

Not only that, but I know how to spell "genius"!!

:)

The dog can be calmed down with hotdogs. :)

hello to all the new people. i've been caching since november, but just recently gotten the addicted part. pretty bad when you can't go to sleep because you are thinking of hiding places or ways to camouflage a cache. :)

Welcome aboard.

Just try to ignore the little white doggie with the bladder condition.

hello to all the new people. i've been caching since november, but just recently gotten the addicted part. pretty bad when you can't go to sleep because you are thinking of hiding places or ways to camouflage a cache. :)

Welcome aboard.

Just try to ignore the little white doggie with the bladder condition.

I love the smell of napalm sizzling bacon in the morning!

It's the smell of

GEOCACHING IN INDIANA NOT IN THE WOODS ANYMORE!!!

I shot this video just over the line in IndiANNER today. Not too far from a couple caches.

If you were driving home through Brazil you were more than just over the line, you were almost up to me. Should have come on up and howdy friend. :-)

They announced on the news that Interstate 70 will be closed into next wek because of the flood. This is the first time since it was built that water has forced it to close, and this time the water was four feet deep over the highway. That stretch of road is about twenty feet above ground level so that was some deep water, and it washed part of the road away so it has to be rebuilt and repaved before it can reopen.

So US 40 will be packed solid until it does reopen, hope I don't need to head west for any reason.

I shot this video just over the line in IndiANNER today. Not too far from a couple caches.

If you were driving home through Brazil you were more than just over the line, you were almost up to me. Should have come on up and howdy friend. :-)

They announced on the news that Interstate 70 will be closed into next wek because of the flood. This is the first time since it was built that water has forced it to close, and this time the water was four feet deep over the highway. That stretch of road is about twenty feet above ground level so that was some deep water, and it washed part of the road away so it has to be rebuilt and repaved before it can reopen.

So US 40 will be packed solid until it does reopen, hope I don't need to head west for any reason.

And I hope I don't need to head that far east!

The only reason I made it to Brazil is that 41 was closed for construction and 36 was closed because powerlines were down. I decided it would be safer to head to Brazil than try the backroads.

Everything was fine westbound until I hit the edge of Terre Haute...where they were getting people off the interstate. That slowed down to a crawl.

Yah for CyBret, hero of turtles everywhere (or at least one turtle in a flooded area of Indiana)!

Nice video--scary though. Hope it settles down soon.

Yah for CyBret, hero of turtles everywhere (or at least one turtle in a flooded area of Indiana)!

Nice video--scary though. Hope it settles down soon.

Unfortunately that was the ONE I was able to save....you don't want to see the picture of the one I was too late for. :blink:

And then there was the one that was big enough to take care of himself!

After talking with the in-laws down in Martinsville, it seems that most of the valley is flooded south of 242.

The trailer park across the street from the walmart has water to the roofs.

Do you just stick your hands into guardrails for caches? I pulled back some high grass yesterday in Ohio and this is what I found.

17a07093-12d9-4106-8385-bcda0aaec987.jpg

Cool!! :blink:

It's an Eastern Garter Thamnophlis sirtalis sirtalis.

How long was it? About two feet or so?

When it finally uncoiled and moved away it was probably a little over 2 feet. It stayed there for a good 3 minutes or so waiting for me to leave.