Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Well, we didn't make the picnic. I was home suffering from a nasty chest cold/sore throat all day and had to work Saturday evening. Glad to hear everyone had a good time. Now that it's over, TEAM RETRIEVER will be caching our DNR property caches. All except Missing Dental Work that is. We'll keep that one alive. The rest will be archived and then we'll put out a couple of new caches at each property.

So Lead Dog , when ya gonna get busy and Find some more caches if you are out of Ideas to place them ?

PS , Started this Thread so as not to annoy BigMike . Sorry BigMike.

Since we are no longer allowed to cache at the reservoirs, we will be looking for free woods--until then, its Main Streets, cemeteries, lamp post skirts, and stop signs... :)

Edited by SixDogTeam

So Lead Dog , when ya gonna get busy and Find some more caches if you are out of Ideas to place them ?

Since we are no longer allowed to cache at the reservoirs, we will be looking for free woods--until then, its Main Streets, cemeteries, lamp post skirts, and stop signs... :)

Lead Dog I can teach you how to fill out a permit(but i know that is against your morals) :):wub::D:lol:

Since we are no longer allowed to cache at the reservoirs, we will be looking for free woods--until then, its Main Streets, cemeteries, lamp post skirts, and stop signs... :grin:

... city parks, county parks, public access fishing areas and ramps ... It hurts to go to a nice city park with lots of nooks and crannies only to find someone has claimed the area with a camo-ed film can in the bark of a tree next to the parking lot.

We are making a road trip in the morning to once again try our luck at Mean Streak, GC12Z46, down in Muncie. If anyone wants to join in the search with us for this elusive little bugger that would be great!

With any luck we should be at the park by 7:00 a.m. when it opens to begin the nightmare....Uh, I mean search.

Wish us luck!

GeoWoodstock VII Announced

Pack your bags. GeoWoodstock in closer to home next year. Jogps announced next year's venue at GW VI this weekend. It will be held in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. Bell Buckle is just south of Nashville.

If you've never been or heard of GeoWoodstock. It is the place to be on Memorial Day weekend. You can meet many of the icons of geocaching,get face to face with some of those people you've talked with on the forums, trade geocoins and pathtags, visit vendor shops where you can buy most anything about geocaching.

GWVI was held in Sacramento, Califormia this weekend. With 3,000+ in attendance, it was the biggest GeoWoodstock yet. I can assure you it was fantastic!

Hope to see Indiana represented well at GWVII!

GeoWoodstock VI - GC1CG5G

Edited by daggy

Finally received an e-mail from the DNR in reply to the one I had sent them concerning the geocaching policy. My e-mail to them simply suggested a public hearing to discuss the policy, like they do for deer hunting regulations and such. I also suggested that the properties could hold more than 25 caches each, although I agree a limit must be in place. Here is the reply I got...

Your email expressing concern over the current Indiana DNR geocaching policy was received through our Upper Wabash Reservoirs geocaching account and forwarded to me.

Since geocaching began in 2000, geocaches proliferated in the Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs, and the DNR was forced to address the issue. Public comments were taken and geocachers were present at meetings held as the DNR drafted the first geocaching policy. The current geocaching policy was approved at the Natural Resource Commission quarterly meeting in November of 2004, and initiated on January 1, 2005. A geocaching forum thread in November of 2004 discussed this proposal, and provided follow up from geocachers that were present in the discussions.

The 25 geocaches per property rule has an administrative reason, rather than an ecological background. It is merely too difficult to manage via permitting hundreds of geocaches on some of our properties that have large acreage.

The majority of the feedback received regarding the policy has been positive. In the future, should changes in recreation use on DNR lands create a need to review the policy, we will re-address the current policy at future NRC meeting agendas are posted online for citizens to see at www.in.gov/nrc.

Just thought I would share it with everyone. Does anyone recall the original discussion on the forums that they speak of in this reply??

Finally received an e-mail from the DNR in reply to the one I had sent them concerning the geocaching policy. My e-mail to them simply suggested a public hearing to discuss the policy, like they do for deer hunting regulations and such. I also suggested that the properties could hold more than 25 caches each, although I agree a limit must be in place. Here is the reply I got...

Your email expressing concern over the current Indiana DNR geocaching policy was received through our Upper Wabash Reservoirs geocaching account and forwarded to me.

Since geocaching began in 2000, geocaches proliferated in the Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs, and the DNR was forced to address the issue. Public comments were taken and geocachers were present at meetings held as the DNR drafted the first geocaching policy. The current geocaching policy was approved at the Natural Resource Commission quarterly meeting in November of 2004, and initiated on January 1, 2005. A geocaching forum thread in November of 2004 discussed this proposal, and provided follow up from geocachers that were present in the discussions.

The 25 geocaches per property rule has an administrative reason, rather than an ecological background. It is merely too difficult to manage via permitting hundreds of geocaches on some of our properties that have large acreage.

The majority of the feedback received regarding the policy has been positive. In the future, should changes in recreation use on DNR lands create a need to review the policy, we will re-address the current policy at future NRC meeting agendas are posted online for citizens to see at www.in.gov/nrc.

Just thought I would share it with everyone. Does anyone recall the original discussion on the forums that they speak of in this reply??

The thread is "DNR geocaching rules" I don't know how to make a like. It shows on the first page of the forums for the Midwest.

Fungus alert for 2querque... 2qwerky ... 2querq ... Awwww ... you know who you are ...

Montpelier5-24-08041.jpg

In May

Montpelier11-24-07029.jpg

In October

Same tree, same fungus. In Montpelier, Indiana. Any idea what it is?

Yes, I know who I are. They look like beefsteak polypores to me. There are several varieties, some as thick as an Outback prime rib, and some as thin as a Walmart NY strip. These almost look like bacon to me! All varieties resemble raw beef, thus the moniker.

Fungus alert for 2querque... 2qwerky ... 2querq ... Awwww ... you know who you are ...

Montpelier5-24-08041.jpg

In May

Montpelier11-24-07029.jpg

In October

Yes, I know who I are. They look like beefsteak polypores to me. There are several varieties, some as thick as an Outback prime rib, and some as thin as a Walmart NY strip. These almost look like bacon to me! All varieties resemble raw beef, thus the moniker.

Thanks!

So... who's coming down to my next cook-out? I'm cooking ... steak. Yeah. That's it.

New cacher from Jeffersonville, IN. Been caching since the beginning of March. Already hid a few of my own.

Hiya! I'm willing to bet you'll find more than a few chronics down in your neck of the woods.

We met Moobeat at the Flash event. He was just as nice as his logs, too. The last I saw of him, he was sitting with Deermark, eating dessert. I am relieved to learn that Deermark did not immediately whisk him away on an impromptu trailmix.

Moobeat, if Deermark ever suggests a little outing, ask him how many hills there will be. If he says, "Just a couple of little ones" --run!

And if Torry tries to feed you--run the other way even faster. Never accept food from the pig!

Thanks!

So... who's coming down to my next cook-out? I'm cooking ... steak. Yeah. That's it.

Torry, PLEASE don't eat any shrooms based on my amatuer identification. I could be wrong, and with mushrooms that could be DEAD wrong. A professional ID often relies on spore pattern, spore counts and even microscopic study to determine the exact variety. My old eyeballs shouldn't be trusted, especially if you're planning on eating them.

The only wild shrooms I ever eat are giant puffballs, because they look like nothing else in the kingdom and cannot be confused with anything that'll kill you or make you halucinate. Even morels have an evil twin (false morels) that will fry your liver. I don't trust them.

[Thanks!

Torry, PLEASE don't eat any shrooms based on my amatuer identification. I could be wrong, and with mushrooms that could be DEAD wrong. A professional ID often relies on spore pattern, spore counts and even microscopic study to determine the exact variety. My old eyeballs shouldn't be trusted, especially if you're planning on eating them.

The only wild shrooms I ever eat are giant puffballs, because they look like nothing else in the kingdom and cannot be confused with anything that'll kill you or make you halucinate. Even morels have an evil twin (false morels) that will fry your liver. I don't trust them.

To distinguish giant puffballs from poisonous species such as Scleroderma areolatum you have to cut them open--the edible puffballs will have a solid white interior. Here's a handy page to view.

They sure do grow to a nice size, though!

As for morels....My beloved N1 is trying to become a hickory chicken hunter, and that makes me just a tad nervous. I may try to talk him into enlisting an expert in finding "real" morels and then becoming morel farmers.

Or...even better yet....

Don't eat any mushrooms unless they have an USDA label on the top of the styrofoam container.

That's what I do!!!!

I go one better - never eat 'shrooms at all! There's a fungus among us! :anibad:

Mrs. Car54

So... um ... I was ... um ... "testing" some of my harvest and I may have misunderstood 2qwerqE's warnng.

I can't find my clothes and the firemen want me to come down from the roof.

I ain't comin' down until the giant bats back off.

So... um ... I was ... um ... "testing" some of my harvest and I may have misunderstood 2qwerqE's warnng.

I can't find my clothes and the firemen want me to come down from the roof.

I ain't comin' down until the giant bats back off.

Please, please please, Torry, for the love of all that is right and holy: FIND YOUR CLOTHES!!!!

Moobeat, if Deermark ever suggests a little outing, ask him how many hills there will be. If he says, "Just a couple of little ones" --run!

I couldn't even imagine how different my definition of hill and Deermark's is judging by the last few of his caches I have done!!

52805c90-6e8d-495d-b9b9-a866ad03a0a1.jpg

Well we have officially become the Beatles of Geocaching!! We have fans all over, even people in California want everybody to know who there favorite cachers are. Looks like we may have to start charging an appearance fee to come to the major events like the B.A.G.O. Hot Dog Bash and etc...!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Wolverine Warriors

Well we have officially become the Beatles of Geocaching!! We have fans all over, even people in California want everybody to know who there favorite cachers are. Looks like we may have to start charging an appearance fee to come to the major events like the B.A.G.O. Hot Dog Bash and etc...!! :)

Moonshine better still be free though! :)

Hi there! New cacher here, along with my family. We found our first cache today, and it was really exciting! We didn't have much luck with the other four we looked for, but that's not gonna stop us! However, someone suggested we should see if an experienced cacher would let us go along one time, because I don't quite have the trick of finding things yet. We're in Lake County, waaay up north. :)

Anyway. Just wanted to say hi, see if anyone had any tips for the newbie. (Apologies if this is garbled; it's kind of late here and I should be sleeping.)

Hi there! New cacher here, along with my family. We found our first cache today, and it was really exciting! We didn't have much luck with the other four we looked for, but that's not gonna stop us! However, someone suggested we should see if an experienced cacher would let us go along one time, because I don't quite have the trick of finding things yet. We're in Lake County, waaay up north. :)

Anyway. Just wanted to say hi, see if anyone had any tips for the newbie. (Apologies if this is garbled; it's kind of late here and I should be sleeping.)

Check out the upcoming summer events--you can meet people who will take you under their wing...

Welcome to the fun Kitrona, the first cache find is always a great feeling. Congratulations. Some advice I would pass on is to look for regular size traditional caches until you get a few more cache finds under your belt. Avoid micros if you can for the time being, these little guys still stump the most experienced cachers at times. And if you can't find caches, then the game will lose it's fun feeling. Have fun :) .

Chris-Team Shydog

Well we have officially become the Beatles of Geocaching!! We have fans all over, even people in California want everybody to know who there favorite cachers are. Looks like we may have to start charging an appearance fee to come to the major events like the B.A.G.O. Hot Dog Bash and etc...!! :)

Oh MY!!

I took that as "I Luv Wet Willys", so that means you will still have to make a payment to the B.A.G.O. Bathroom Remodeling fund if you want to come hang out with us Indiana cachers again next year :)

Welcome to the addiction!! I'd invite you to go with me and Slightlysavvy sometime but we are wwwaaayyy down south :)