Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder if it would make sense to poll the candidates J for Indiana's governor (Gov. Daniels, Rep. Long Thompson, and Mr. Horning) what their opinions on GEOCACHING in INDIANA are. I suspect that the winner would have influence on the IDNR and thus might be worth while at least posing the question. Just something to contemplate.

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder if it would make sense to poll the candidates J for Indiana's governor (Gov. Daniels, Rep. Long Thompson, and Mr. Horning) what their opinions on GEOCACHING in INDIANA are. I suspect that the winner would have influence on the IDNR and thus might be worth while at least posing the question. Just something to contemplate.

BAD IDEA!! Don't tell the politicans about Geocaching in Indiana. They'll just tax it and license it and make a bunch of laws about it. You are one crazy Limey, mate!!

BAD IDEA!! Don't tell the politicans about Geocaching in Indiana. They'll just tax it and license it and make a bunch of laws about it. You are one crazy Limey, mate!!

Well, I'm not too worried about that. Indiana's legislature isn't exactly known for competency. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still debating the value of pi. :laughing:

Howdy! I am a neocacher just starting out. I was born and raised in Goshen and now live in Pendelton. Looking forward to receiving my Garmin Venture HC tomorrow and getting started as there are 10 within a block of my work and 2 right by my house. Hope to run into some of you out in the field!

VG19

I'd be more concerned with them leasing it out!

Does anyone know how I can go about finding/developing a list of the Oldest Active Geocaches in Indiana? I know about the first three placed in 2000... :)

If you’d like to figure out which was the first cache hidden in your state, you can create a Pocket Query that’ll tell you. Here’s how:

Under your Account page on Geocaching.com, select, “Build Pocket Queries”. Then click “Create a new query”, and select the following options:

* Within States/Provinces (select yours)

* Within radius of 500 miles

* Placed During (this is the key field)

o Between September 1, 2000 and December 31, 2000

Then click “Submit Information” and on the next page, select “Preview the Search”. You should now have a list of the first set of geocaches placed in your state. For example, running this query for California returns a list of 16 caches, the oldest being Phil’s Memorial Cache in San Diego County near Big Laguna Lake, placed on September 10, 2000.

If there isn’t a cache in your home state that falls within this search criteria, try extending the end date of the query until it produces some results.

You can also modify this query to, say, find the oldest caches within a set radius of your home (using the From Origin query selection). Or, of all the caches you have found so far, find the oldest geocache hidden (check the “I have found” box). You may have to play around with the end date a bit to generate results you can use.

Of course, if you use a geocaching database program like GSAK you can simply sort your different cache lists by the date placed field to generate the same information.

Can someone develop a list of the 50 oldest active caches in Indiana for us, if this has not been done????

Working on this now, I've got the list, and will be making it into a bookmark list.

Done!

Indiana's 50 oldest

let me know if that doesn't work :)

Does anyone know how I can go about finding/developing a list of the Oldest Active Geocaches in Indiana? I know about the first three placed in 2000... :)

If you’d like to figure out which was the first cache hidden in your state, you can create a Pocket Query that’ll tell you. Here’s how:

Under your Account page on Geocaching.com, select, “Build Pocket Queries”. Then click “Create a new query”, and select the following options:

Then click “Submit Information” and on the next page, select “Preview the Search”. You should now have a list of the first set of geocaches placed in your state. For example, running this query for California returns a list of 16 caches, the oldest being Phil’s Memorial Cache in San Diego County near Big Laguna Lake, placed on September 10, 2000.

If there isn’t a cache in your home state that falls within this search criteria, try extending the end date of the query until it produces some results.

You can also modify this query to, say, find the oldest caches within a set radius of your home (using the From Origin query selection). Or, of all the caches you have found so far, find the oldest geocache hidden (check the “I have found” box). You may have to play around with the end date a bit to generate results you can use.

Of course, if you use a geocaching database program like GSAK you can simply sort your different cache lists by the date placed field to generate the same information.

Can someone develop a list of the 50 oldest active caches in Indiana for us, if this has not been done????

Edited by PMaholm

Working on this now, I've got the list, and will be making it into a bookmark list.

Done!

Indiana's 50 oldest

Thanks!

Worked great for me. I see a cache that we had adopted, MISSING DENTAL WORK, is on the list. With the DNR enforcing their geocaching policy, I was going to archive that cache. I think I'll leave that one out now, but by following the rules. Would be a shame to archive one of Indiana's oldest 50 caches, huh.

Done!

Indiana's 50 oldest

No. Taxing it is politically unfavorable.

Now leasing it to a foreign company for 75 years so they can tax it is a winning proposal. :)

Edited by FloatingSpots

Anyone interested in a non-electric campsite during Memorial Day?

The campsite is in Shades.

The price is right. FREE! :)

The site is reserved for the three days required.

Plans change and there is a no cancel policy on holiday weekends...

I'm hoping that someone can use it...

Jon

Edited by FloatingSpots

The Kosciusko county visitors bureau is putting out some caches as part of a contest to promote area attractions. Saw the article on the front page of The Paper. Here is a link if you want to read it:

http://www.the-papers.com/OnlinePubs/defau...-14-08-05-20-08

Thanks for the heads up--journalistically a very amateurish article--doesn't tell much about the promotion--just WHERE to find out about it. Call or stop in --duh!--No, thanks!

Does anybody know if these caches will be listed on GC.com? :D

The Kosciusko county visitors bureau is putting out some caches as part of a contest to promote area attractions. Saw the article on the front page of The Paper. Here is a link if you want to read it:

Thanks for the heads up--journalistically a very amateurish article--doesn't tell much about the promotion--just WHERE to find out about it. Call or stop in --duh!--No, thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. It referenced GC.com toward the beginning. However, it didn't mention it. I believe tomorrow is the beginning of the contest. Maybe we will see the notifications in the AM?

I was wondering the same thing. It referenced GC.com toward the beginning. However, it didn't mention it. I believe tomorrow is the beginning of the contest. Maybe we will see the notifications in the AM?

Since i only live about 1/2 mile from the visitors bureau i shall look into it.

Well i went there and the people will have flyers tomorrow so after work I will get some and bring to the spring picnic. and no the caches are not going to be listed on gc.com. .

I will get more info tomorrow.

Edited by Buddaman

Does anyone know how I can go about finding/developing a list of the Oldest Active Geocaches in Indiana? I know about the first three placed in 2000... :D

The simplest way to see Indiana caches in order of their placement is by clicking the 'List newest in Indiana' link found on your my account page. Then click the arrows that take you to the last page, which is the oldest caches placed. There are 8655 caches is IN currently.

inlink.jpg

Does anyone know how I can go about finding/developing a list of the Oldest Active Geocaches in Indiana? I know about the first three placed in 2000... :D

The simplest way to see Indiana caches in order of their placement is by clicking the 'List newest in Indiana' link found on your my account page. Then click the arrows that take you to the last page, which is the oldest caches placed. There are 8655 caches is IN currently.

inlink.jpg

cool, he never thought of that!

Lead dog and I want to host a cold sandwich and SODA POP event at this cache site, very soon: :)

OLDEST CACHE IN THE WORLD :)

SIMILAR TO THE EVENT WE HAD AT0P HANGING ROCK--REMEMBER? (THAT WAS WINE AND CAVIAR THIS WILL BE LIVERWURST SANDWICHES AND ROOTBEER :D :D

THIS CACHE IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD!!! OLDER THAN JEREMY!!!! :D

mAYBE THERE SHOULD BE A SPECIAL ICON FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Does anybody know if these caches will be listed on GC.com? :)

I am aware of the hwy30cachebach. I was involved in hiding one of the caches. It should be up and running in Marshall County by this afternoon. The other two counties are up and running now I believe.

They tried to get the cache as an event or multi but couldn't get it okayed since there is no single starting point. It is a partnership of Marshall, Kosciusko, and Allen Counties so it wasn't fair to start it in only one county. Kosciusko county has a cacher on the CVB staff who helped organize it.

She tried to get it accepted as a multi but again you need to have only 1 starting point. I am told completing either of the three multis puts you in a drawing for prizes and I believe $$$.

Stopped in and got more info on Saturday. As the article stated, there are 3 differently themed multi-caches you can do (but you don't have to do all 3). Each of the 3 multis have nine stages. At each stage you collect a jigsaw puzzle piece and a clue to the next stage. Once you collect all nine jigsaw pieces, you can turn them in at the visitors bureau for a chance at prizes. The stages of the caches may be located in Marshall, Kosciusko, or Allen county as it is a joint effort between the three counties.

We found the first stage in two of the caches so far.

Hello Indiana Cachers! I've been trying to register for the Midwest Geobash for a couple of days but the site is down or something - anyone have ideas on how to register or where the new site is?

Here's the link to the site:

Midwest Geobash 2008

If you are having trouble after that, please email info@midwestgeobash.org, and one of the administrators (myself included) will try and help. Please be specific/detailed in your email to help us help you :huh:

See you in August . . .

TMA

Here's the link to the site: Midwest Geobash 2008

If you are having trouble after that, please email info@midwestgeobash.org, and one of the administrators (myself included) will try and help. Please be specific/detailed in your email to help us help you :huh:

See you in August . . .

TMA

Thanks for the response - that is the site I've been trying to get to - I sent the email to the address you posted - it bombed out in Yahoo, I got a failure message - so I tried it from work just now. Hopefully you will receive it soon and can help me out. All I see is a weird site that has nothing to do with geocaching - I sent you the screen shot of it in the email.

Can you tell me when and where the bash is this year - since I can't get to the site? Thanks!

It looks like that darn Duck forgot to pay for the Domain name when he left last year, or maybe it is the Chicken that is causing havoc. Either way, the site was working last night, and it was down this morning when I left for work at 5am.

The Bash is going to be back at Kendallville, IN. The dates are August 7-10. I am looking forward to another fun time. The page for the event is GC154HT.