Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

I have archived my seven caches over at Salamonie, but will not be able to pick the containers up until Saturday May 10th. Feel free to go find them and log them until then.

My two cents..

I think the DNR policy is fair and the permit system is one we can work with. It is a policy that has been in place for over two years now,it is also a policy that was not used by the majority of the cache owners in the area, myself included. It has just not been enforced in the Upper Wabash area until now. It is sad to lose such a large number of caches at one time, but I don't think it is the end of caching for the area. When I hosted the Spring picnic at Salamonie State Forrest back in 2006 I worked with the DNR there to place caches for us to find. They were very helpful and open to geocaching as a recreational use for the property. We even had a geocacher give a demonstration on geocaching at the Interpretive Center on the morning of the picnic.

If you look at the size of each SRA in the Upper Wabash area you see that each one is eligible for the maximum amount of caches (25). If I apply my limited math skills, that is 3(SRA's) X 25 (Caches) and you get 75 new caches each year within a 40 mile radius. That does not sound bad to me.

Will this take some extra work on our part as a cache owner? Yes. Do I think it is worth it? Yes. Am I willing to put in the extra work to have a cache placed in such a wonderful area for my friends to go out and find? Hell Yes.

Thanks for listening,

Chris-Team Shydog

If you look at the size of each SRA in the Upper Wabash area you see that each one is eligible for the maximum amount of caches (25). If I apply my limited math skills, that is 3(SRA's) X 25 (Caches) and you get 75 new caches each year within a 40 mile radius. That does not sound bad to me.

This sounds great, but this is only going to work if every cache gets archived every year. The current policy just states that the permit expires after 1 year, not that it cannot be reapplied for with a slight movement of the current cache.

We went out today and pulled most of ours as they were not even close to being one of the first 25 caches on the properties. While out we were fortunate enough to see a half dozen deer and a pair of Bald Eagles soaring! What really got us today though was the simple fact that while picking up our half dozen caches, we picked up 10 times that amount of shotgun shells that were laying on the ground. Guess since hunters have a permit they can just leave all their garbage. (Sorry, but that had to be said!)

I have been wondering though as I've been looking at the hundreds of caches being archived and I am a little curious. Does the ROW not apply to the borders of these properties?

Okay, I'm going to suggest this like I did back when the ACRES properties enforced their rules...I feel we should establish a small group or committee of geocachers to discuss this with the DNR. We could either meet with DNR officials or the individual property managers. Whoever meets with them will need to be very professional and open minded in their approach.

It would have been nice if we'd been given that opportunity when they first discussed writting policy.

Wulf

"If we'd been given that opportunity.."??? Well, my experience tells me that the DNR has a pretty fair open door policy. You can't sit back and wait for an invitation. You've got to get on the offensive and go to them. If you think about it, we've had this opportunity to discuss it with them for the past couple of years, since most of us knew about it, but yet did nothing. We have only ourselves to blame for the policy being what it is yesterday, today and tomorrow.

What really got us today though was the simple fact that while picking up our half dozen caches, we picked up 10 times that amount of shotgun shells that were laying on the ground. Guess since hunters have a permit they can just leave all their garbage. (Sorry, but that had to be said!)

As a hunter, and one who hunts Huntington Reservoir quite a bit, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been trying to preach that for years. I pick up my empty shells and all of my trash. Usually have my game vest full of other people's crap by the time I get back to the truck. Not to mention last fall I let my labrador carry out empty pop cans and plastic bottles. So just to set the record straight, not all hunters are litter bugs!! I think it's just people in general. I've seen the same amount of trash at some of the picnic areas and local parks too. If you don't believe me, participate in one of those "Adopt A Highway" programs. I did that for the first time up near Leo, about a month ago. I never new our roadways were so filthy!!!

People doing community service should have to start out at the reservoir! And there should be stiffer fines for people caught littering.

:D

What really got us today though was the simple fact that while picking up our half dozen caches, we picked up 10 times that amount of shotgun shells that were laying on the ground. Guess since hunters have a permit they can just leave all their garbage. (Sorry, but that had to be said!)

So just to set the record straight, not all hunters are litter bugs!! I think it's just people in general.

:D

Please don't think that I was trying to say that all hunters were litterbugs. That was not my intention, just my frustration.

This sounds great, but this is only going to work if every cache gets archived every year. The current policy just states that the permit expires after 1 year, not that it cannot be reapplied for with a slight movement of the current cache.

That is where I think the work part comes in to play. If a cacher is willing to go thru the permit process to get a cache placed, and follow the guidelines for a year, it should not be too hard to do it again in a new location the next year. Thanks to all the cache owners that have placed caches in this area, I have found many spots that would be great for a quality, back to roots type geocache.

Chris

Maybe we need to work with them to find out the reason behind the one year limitation? Maybe extending this part out would be more beneficial. As for a committee not everyone has the luxury of living in close proximity to a DNR property. I think that might be why the response has been limited. I belive the support is behind you. However, not all of us has the ability to actively participate in meetings depending on distance, time etc. If you need suggestions or ideas please let me know.

Okay, I'm going to suggest this like I did back when the ACRES properties enforced their rules...I feel we should establish a small group or committee of geocachers to discuss this with the DNR. We could either meet with DNR officials or the individual property managers. Whoever meets with them will need to be very professional and open minded in their approach.

It would have been nice if we'd been given that opportunity when they first discussed writting policy.

Wulf

"If we'd been given that opportunity.."??? Well, my experience tells me that the DNR has a pretty fair open door policy. You can't sit back and wait for an invitation. You've got to get on the offensive and go to them. If you think about it, we've had this opportunity to discuss it with them for the past couple of years, since most of us knew about it, but yet did nothing. We have only ourselves to blame for the policy being what it is yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Sorry, I should have editted my quote better. I was refering to the ACRES "We're too polite to just say no" policy.

The DNR policy isn't bad, just time consuming. We could have got the old Michigan DNR policy that asked for $25 per permit.

Wulf

Maybe we need to work with them to find out the reason behind the one year limitation? Maybe extending this part out would be more beneficial. As for a committee not everyone has the luxury of living in close proximity to a DNR property. I think that might be why the response has been limited. I belive the support is behind you. However, not all of us has the ability to actively participate in meetings depending on distance, time etc. If you need suggestions or ideas please let me know.

The time frame has a rationale to it. It allows an area of the park (inclusive sense) to "recover" from human presence. Not the best of explanations, but that's how I interpret it.

Looking at the policy, most of the points do have a logic to it. The maximum density minimises ecological damage; the permits allow for contact information and for IDNR staff to know of where placements are. To me, the only part that doesn't quite make sense is the limit per geocaching team. There are several geocachers that have the ability and willingness to maintain more than two geocaches. On top of that, I would expect that they would prefer to reduce the numbers so that they have fewer of us to work with. I suppose that an argument for diversity and allowing others the chance to place geocaches can be made, but I feel that should be a community decision rather than IDNR policy.

Just my inane thoughts.

Well, I went through the caches that we own and made notes on 'em. We'll be archiving them within a week. Sad, as I really enjoyed reading all of the logs. When we get them all taken out, then we'll attempt to hide a couple at each property. Looks like I'll need to buy a few ammo cans. If I'm going to be limited to only two per property, they're gonna be good ones. LOL!

I'm going to e-mail the DNR and see what the chances would be of them holding some "public input" meetings on their geocaching policy. They do that for everything else, so it might happen. Who knows.

The part that upsets me the most about all of this is I know some geocachers who will be archiving their caches won't go pick 'em up. At that point, the caches are litter.

I see people are archiving there caches in the next week or are all ready doing so. On behalf of people who are coming from a distance for the Spring picnic could you wait until after the event. The area is has such a large amount of caches I think a lot of people would plan to go to that area for the amount of caches over there. I know we were planning on it.

We will be archiving our one cache that is in that area . We are willing to wait till after the spring picnic is over to archive it . But beware , it will be picked up and archived on that day . It was our small tribute to Sixdogteam . He challenged us to place a cache he and Patrick could find and he has helped maintain it ever since . It started out as an ammo can that went missing and is now a Peanut Butter Jar. Cache name is

For The Dogs, Thank you Sixdogteam

Star

Edited by Team Tigger International

I see people are archiving there caches in the next week or are all ready doing so. On behalf of people who are coming from a distance for the Spring picnic could you wait until after the event. The area is has such a large amount of caches I think a lot of people would plan to go to that area for the amount of caches over there. I know we were planning on it.

In spirit of the Spring Picnic pilgrimage, we'll keep ours out until the Monday after the spring picnic. I did archive one of our caches (Dead Tree Hill) due to it's condition. Didn't see much point to replacing it since I would have to pull it in a few weeks anyway. Hope to see many of you at the picnic.

Sorry guys, this Saturday is the only day I have open in the next month to go pick up my caches. I want to get them picked up so I can place a new one in the area(with permit :P )

Team Retriever- I have a few extra ammo cans sitting out in the garage, if you want a couple of them you are more then welcome to them.

Chris

I can understand allowing an area to recover if it is a nature preserve or state park. But I really don't get it at the reservoir properties. Every DNR person I ever talked to there said that the facility was there to be used, not preserved.

I think we need a different system for the reservoirs/hunting areas/etc. They're really a totally different animal than the state parks.

First off, triple or quadruple the limit. 100 caches at a huge property like salamonie lake seems like no big deal to me.

Second, make the permit much easier. Reduce it to post card size, just name, address and phone number of cacher, the waypoint code (GCXXXXX), the coordinates, and a hide description. This lets them know it's there and who owns it if there is a problem. Publish the cache as soon as the permit is received.

Third, increase the limit per cacher. Don't let one person take all 100, but limit each person to say 20 caches.

I really think these permits are just out of whack for these properties. That's just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Gotta love this Michigan economy, because of it I'm laid off of work for this week, but that glorious stimulus package is on it's way. :P

Sooo since there's so MANY caches in the Salamonie area, and so little time during spring picnic, and so much free time on my hands at the moment. (SO did that for you CYBret :P )

I was thinking of taking a Pre-Spring Picnic pilgrimage to the area this Thursday, since certain people (mumbling under my breath) Shydog, can't wait for the picnic. :P

I was curious if anyone would care to join me on another unofficial tour of the area? Girls caching day out, me and the Kat?

Heather of Wolverine Warriors

Sorry guys, this Saturday is the only day I have open in the next month to go pick up my caches. I want to get them picked up so I can place a new one in the area(with permit :P )

Chris

Chris,

If you want to leave them out until after the picnic, I'm sure that we could put together a caching party to pick them up for you. It's your call, no big deal. If not, give us a holler if you want some company out there with you on Saturday.

Kelly

Gotta love this Michigan economy, because of it I'm laid off of work for this week, but that glorious stimulus package is on it's way. :P

Sooo since there's so MANY caches in the Salamonie area, and so little time during spring picnic, and so much free time on my hands at the moment. (SO did that for you CYBret :P )

I was thinking of taking a Pre-Spring Picnic pilgrimage to the area this Thursday, since certain people (mumbling under my breath) Shydog, can't wait for the picnic. :P

I was curious if anyone would care to join me on another unofficial tour of the area? Girls caching day out, me and the Kat?

Heather of Wolverine Warriors

Sorry Heather , I would love to join you , but I am still working for now so thursday wilst you are enjoying a lovely day caching , I will be sleeping . So I can go to work that evening. Hope you have lots of fun though .

Star

Notice: First come first served on my archived caches. If you find 'em, pick 'em up. No retrieval, no smiley. So note pick-up in your on-line log. Thanks --Lead Dog & Earthdog Patrick (PS-- if it's not archived, don't take it...) :P

Good idea Lead Dog. I like it!

TEAM SHYDOG, thanks for the ammo can offer. I'll shoot ya an e-mail.

Notice: First come first served on my archived caches. If you find 'em, pick 'em up. No retrieval, no smiley. So note pick-up in your on-line log. Thanks --Lead Dog & Earthdog Patrick (PS-- if it's not archived, don't take it...) :D

Dear Lord Rick, I had NO IDEA you had that many archived due to this......ummm, could I trouble you for a list of caches archived by this new DNR rule, and not just down for maintenance?? Pretty, pretty please. :o;)

The same goes for anyone else, who's already archived their caches but the containers are still out there, Ali Kat's 3 wheel all terrain vehicle has lots of storage space, and I will pick up their caches IF they want me to, and I will return them to you at the Spring Picnic. But I will ONLY do that for the people who tell me they want me to, and leave the rest for the Spring Picnic Run. :o

Edited by Wolverine Warriors

I have a BIG favor to ask of anyone going out to Salamonie to cache and retrieve Lead Dogs' or other caches, If you are a premium member will you please make a bookmark list of any and all caches that you remove. If you can not make a bookmark list, please email the the Waypoints of the caches you remove from the Salamonie area. At the least, please let me know that you did remove some caches and I will check your finds.

There is a reason for this, just give me a few days to work it out. Right off the top of my head I am thinking the weekend of June 14-15 would be a fun weekend to come caching in Northern Indiana.

June 14th- NEI-GEO Trail Mix

June 15th-? :o ?

Chris-Team Shydog

I can understand allowing an area to recover if it is a nature preserve or state park. But I really don't get it at the reservoir properties. Every DNR person I ever talked to there said that the facility was there to be used, not preserved.

I think we need a different system for the reservoirs/hunting areas/etc. They're really a totally different animal than the state parks....

I presume that should apply to state recreation areas as well. I'm pretty much in agreement. An omnibus policy doesn't quite take into account the diversity of the many DNR properties. The points brought up seem reasonable to me.

The same goes for anyone else, who's already archived their caches but the containers are still out there, Ali Kat's 3 wheel all terrain vehicle has lots of storage space, and I will pick up their caches IF they want me to, and I will return them to you at the Spring Picnic. But I will ONLY do that for the people who tell me they want me to, and leave the rest for the Spring Picnic Run. ;)

Heather if you get round to it . We would appreciate it if you removed our one cache in the area. Then we will archive it as soon as we know it has been removed . .... See previous post for link to it .

Thank you ,

Star

The same goes for anyone else, who's already archived their caches but the containers are still out there, Ali Kat's 3 wheel all terrain vehicle has lots of storage space, and I will pick up their caches IF they want me to, and I will return them to you at the Spring Picnic. But I will ONLY do that for the people who tell me they want me to, and leave the rest for the Spring Picnic Run. :D

Heather if you get round to it . We would appreciate it if you removed our one cache in the area. Then we will archive it as soon as we know it has been removed . .... See previous post for link to it .

Thank you ,

Star

Will do, if we get the chance, but it looks like Old Mother Nature might delay this trip until Friday.... ;)

The same goes for anyone else, who's already archived their caches but the containers are still out there, Ali Kat's 3 wheel all terrain vehicle has lots of storage space, and I will pick up their caches IF they want me to, and I will return them to you at the Spring Picnic. But I will ONLY do that for the people who tell me they want me to, and leave the rest for the Spring Picnic Run. :D

Thank you ,

Star

Will do, if we get the chance, but it looks like Old Mother Nature might delay this trip until Friday.... ;)

Friday forecast is 65 and partly sunny...

Well here's a list of the caches that Ali Kat and I removed today, with many more stories to follow, but I'm too exhausted right now...latest info for anyone who might be going out there Saturday.

GC17E0T Patrick The Beachcomber: Horseshoe Crab

GC18FXR ME NO Y

GC18FXX HUGE RODENT CACHE

GC1B897 Reservoir Dogs #22: SEVEN

GC142T4 Dead End 35

GC19YVP The crossing

GCPQAW Dead End 5

GCPQAX Dead End 6

GC17E0J PatrickThe Beachcomber: Select

GCPQAV Dead End 4

GCVW8V Don't Mess with Texas

GCVW8K Signal's Pad

GCTZHP The wet lands

GCPNA7 SRC

Edited by Wolverine Warriors

Well here's a list of the caches that Ali Kat and I removed today, with many more stories to follow, but I'm too exhausted right now...latest info for anyone who might be going out there Saturday.

GC18FXR ME NO Y

GC142T4 Dead End 35

GC19YVP The crossing

GCPQAW Dead End 5

GCPQAX Dead End 6

GCPQAV Dead End 4

GCVW8K Signal's Pad

GCTZHP The wet lands

GCPNA7 SRC

Not a bad day for two GIRLS :blink:

Thanks for grabbing two of mine.

GC18FXR ME NO Y

GC142T4 Dead End 35

GC19YVP The crossing

GCPQAW Dead End 5

GCPQAX Dead End 6

GCPQAV Dead End 4

GCVW8K Signal's Pad

GCTZHP The wet lands

GCPNA7 SRC

Thanks for grabbing two of mine.

THANKS! That takes care of 5 of ours, 121 to go!

:ph34r:

What are we going to do with all these cache containers? They're much too big to glue magnets to and put on stop signs--maybe some of them will fit under lamp post skirts??? :ph34r:

You could simply toss them out of the window while driving by at high speed, sort of a new twist to the usual method of hiding 35-mm film canisters. :blink:

Well I went out to Huntington Reservoir after the Flash Mob event today. Retrieved a few archived caches. Had 2 DNF's that were archived. Looked all over for them. Did have one other DNF but, that was still an active cache.

GC13K0Z Patrick's West Wahk Walk #2

GC13K16 Patrick's West Wahk Walk #3

GC141XX Lead Dog's Deadtree East Wahk Walk #3

GC141Z3 Lead Dog's Deadtree East Wahk Walk #2

GC141ZN Lead Dog's Deadtree East Wahk Walk #1

GC13K1J Patrick's West Wahk Walk #4

GC128ZJ Shelter XXXVII

DNF's

GC13K0C Patrick's West Wahk Walk #1

GC11AM5 Reservoir Dogs #19: Patrick's Big 'Ol Trees

We're doing DNF's too? Okay, we DNFed:

GC142RV Dead End 33 (cause the neighbor went psycho about me snooping near his property) :o

GCPQPK Dead End 12 (looked everywhere!!)

GC17E0Y Patrick the Beachcomber: Starfish (looked in every nook and cranny 3 separate times

and came up empty handed)

GC1794R ISQ #600: Milestones (don't know how I could have missed it)

BTW that neighbor went all Marshall Law on me, and when I drove by later he was sitting at the start of the road back to his house on his horse, with his big herding dog standing next to him. If he would of had a riffle it would have been just like a John Wayne movie!! :blink:

Thanks for picking up the caches. It's good to know that they are being picked up. Now, I know Lead Dog said to pick up his, but I'm not sure about Trickworm. I know he said he was going to get out and pick some up, but with as many as he's got out, it would be a slow process. I'm sure he will appreciate the help. I don't think he's got any specific plans for all of those M&M tubes! LOL! Since he can't place as many caches at the DNR properties now, I bet his grandchildren will be cutting back on M&M's!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Thanks for picking up the caches. It's good to know that they are being picked up. Now, I know Lead Dog said to pick up his, but I'm not sure about Trickworm. I know he said he was going to get out and pick some up, but with as many as he's got out, it would be a slow process. I'm sure he will appreciate the help. I don't think he's got any specific plans for all of those M&M tubes! LOL! Since he can't place as many caches at the DNR properties now, I bet his grandchildren will be cutting back on M&M's!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I sent him an email before I went out, asking if he wanted me to retrieve his caches and he said yes.

So how many finds did YOU come up with today????

I squeaked out 7 today, but then I was without a co-pilot. Oh yea, I also got a Geocaching Permit approved and placed one while I was at it. Darn, if you would have waited a few days you could have gotten a FTF :o

That was all before heading up to Ft. Wayne for the Flash mob event. Why do they call it a FLASH mob event when I saw absolutely NO flashing? :o

I also got the cords today for the shelter that I plan on hosting an event on June 15th at. A nice little gathering to help with removing any caches left in the Salamonie area. I will be putting it in for review tomorrow. I contacted Tricky about adding his caches to the list of caches that we will focus on that day. He was open to the help. Of course since it is an event in Indiana, there HAS to be food :blink: (Right Bret)!! So hot dogs and maybe sloppy joes is the menu for the day. More details to follow when I make them up.

Chris

Not a bad day for two GIRLS :o

So how many finds did YOU come up with today????

I squeaked out 7 today, but then I was without a co-pilot. Oh yea, I also got a Geocaching Permit approved and placed one while I was at it. Darn, if you would have waited a few days you could have gotten a FTF :D

That was all before heading up to Ft. Wayne for the Flash mob event. Why do they call it a FLASH mob event when I saw absolutely NO flashing? :o

Co-pilot?? She's 2! All she co-pilots to is the next bathroom LOL. One of these days I will have to record a caching day with the kids so you can appreciate it.....

We ended with 21 for the day, with on and off rain, so who's the GIRL now?? :D:blink:

And who's to say I won't hit that FTF for Mother's Day, if it's approved LOL

Side Note: Guess what I got for Mother's Day? A Garmin 60csx all of my own....so we won't be GPSless when Justin decides to loose the next one :o:D Good thing Garmin given me so many T-shirts over the years I might be a little annoyed with how much money I toss their way :D

Oh yeah! And you have to have food at 11am, so it's 10am Bret's time, he just LOVES that!!! :D