Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

We just got rocked by an earthquake, epicenter near Bone Gap, Illinoise. Shook the whole house. Patrick saved us!!--5.4 on the scale. Reports: Felt as far away as Alabama and Georgia (so far). :P

It woke me up, I thought Buddy was scratching and shaking the bed at first but he slept through the whole thing. Silly dog, I thought they could predict these things. :D

We just got rocked by an earthquake, epicenter near Bone Gap, Illinoise. Shook the whole house. Patrick saved us!!--5.4 on the scale. Reports: Felt as far away as Alabama and Georgia (so far). ;)

It woke me up, I thought Buddy was scratching and shaking the bed at first but he slept through the whole thing. Silly dog, I thought they could predict these things. :(

Actually my dog was acting funny this morning before it happened. Now, here's something to ponder. I felt the aftershock today as well as the one this morning. I belive there is an Earthcache about the fault in that area. What if you were doing that cache when it hit?

Here's my log from a cache just called 'Geocache' at Raccoon Lake near Rockville yesterday. There are more pics on my log here

<Here's a story for you about my seek for this cache. This morning, Indiana felt a 5.2 earthquake at 5:27 am. I was searching for this cache when an aftershock, about 4.0, hit around 11:15am. First the trees started dancing. No biggie. It's been pretty windy all day. But then I felt the rumble under my feet, and a frightened groundhog exited its burrow not 15 feet from me, and climbed a tree. I have never seen a groundhog climb a tree before, but he was fairly handy at it.

He clung there, more afraid to go back in his hole than he was of me, I guess, since we talked for a time together. By the time we parted ways, he seemed calmer, but he stayed in the tree. >

5b392488-c5f3-4f09-b29c-b4bdffe34962.jpg

I was in bed when that quake hit, so no handy trees to climb.

But, thanks to Random Find's new Wherigo Cache published today and near BAGO BASH, I am back to owning all the available find icons from GC.com:

List of Geocaches found (All Cache Finds)

Name Count

Traditional Caches * 963

Multi-caches * 38

Virtual Caches * 49

Letterbox Hybrids * 1

Event Caches * 79

Unknown (Mystery) Caches * 38

Project APE Caches * 1

Webcam Caches * 1

Locationless (Reverse) Caches * 102

Cache In Trash Out Events * 4

Earthcaches * 34

Mega-Event Caches 2

GPS Adventures Exhibit 1

Wherigo Caches 1

NGS Benchmarks 40

*Total Caches Found 1314

:unsure::blink::lol:

I was in bed when that quake hit, so no handy trees to climb.

But, thanks to Random Find's new Wherigo Cache published today and near BAGO BASH, I am back to owning all the available find icons from GC.com:

List of Geocaches found (All Cache Finds)

Name Count

Traditional Caches * 963

Multi-caches * 38

Virtual Caches * 49

Letterbox Hybrids * 1

Event Caches * 79

Unknown (Mystery) Caches * 38

Project APE Caches * 1

Webcam Caches * 1

Locationless (Reverse) Caches * 102

Cache In Trash Out Events * 4

Earthcaches * 34

Mega-Event Caches 2

GPS Adventures Exhibit 1

Wherigo Caches 1

NGS Benchmarks 40

*Total Caches Found 1314

:laughing::grin::grin:

Yes, that was quite fun doingthe Wherigo cache in the rain yesterday. Now, the question is how many other people will go out and get a Colorado?

Thanks for putting on another great event!!!

Here's my log from a cache just called 'Geocache' at Raccoon Lake near Rockville yesterday. There are more pics on my log here

Thanks for the heads up about your pictures. I just looked at all your logs from "earthquake day" and pulled up all the pics. I really enjoyed looking at them - thanks again! :grin:

Mrs. Car54

Edited by Car54

We still need more data here. Anyone with over 100 ISQ finds, let us know, or you lose out!

ISQ/OSQ/MSQ FINDS updating

JPlus14...................471

Doobies..................365

dougsmiley..............322

Woverine Warriors...279

Che K.....................274

Buddaman...............267

IndyMagicMan..........244

Daggy.....................239

GoPhast..................233

Deermark...............229

Team Tigger............213

501 Gang.................210

The Moop Along........189

Random Find...........134

Team Shydog..........129

S Keillan.................112

jtbrady01................118

Car 54......................91

Floating Spots............79

SixDogTeam.............76

lakedawgs................65

Cybret......................55

Mintaka.....................53

Earthdog Patrick........29

Solarwib...................26

Wheel Dog................15

AndrewRJ.....................6

:)

Edited by SixDogTeam

Thanks to everyone who braved the weather for our 3rd Annual B.A.G.O. Spring Hot Dog Bash and Snipe Hunt. Trickworm's big fire was a nice addition don't you think?

Nice to see all the usual Suspects as well as some FNG's!

Geo Bratz won the closest to the penny contest using a new Garmin Colorado, winning two geo-coins donated by Butterfly Girlz.

Speaking of the Colorado, it looks like we are among the first in Indiana to win the coveted Wherigo Found Icon!!! Thanks, Random Find!!

Thanks to Lord Elwood for keeping the Media out of our hair.

Thanks to Che K for sharing her Mexican Beer...

A Special Thanks to Newly-minted Lighthouse Keeper (Forty Mile Lighthouse in Michigan) Pines Trail for standing in the rain cooking weiners and donating the cool T-Shirts!

Precious (Mystery Dog) won the Canine Costume Contest with her cute little hot dog outfit.

My dear brother, Wulf of Team Tigger International, won the coveted Travelled Furthest to get here award, coming all the way from Canada, eh? Runners-up came from Michigan and Ohio.

Bluegill Fisherman won the new 2008 BAGO Lifetime Achievement/AllAround-Good-Guy Award.

Good to be seen by 1Marky Mark1 with his Rad Company Jeep.

Welcome back Are We There Yet. We love you guys.

Thanks to Chris of Team Shydog for acting as Master of Ceremonies.

Ok, so dogs, it started a little slow, got pitchy in a few places, but all-in-all it was OK for me! --Lead Dog

f7dbb46a-ee12-47f6-acb6-49746b0f44e9.jpg

Looks like we had 49 Accounts in Attendance with about 80 Souls On Board!

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!

66d5c174-c1c9-40b9-a9c9-73a2d266281e.jpg

Our prayers are with you, BigMamaD!

One of the great pleasures of geocaching is that after a hard day of hiding and seeking, you can stop and have a cold brewski and some shrimp at your favorite watering hole.

Here's a pic of Wheel Dog, his ride and our waitress that I shot yesterday near the Illinoise border:

715dc124-b374-4d54-a0ff-ab32368c826b.jpg

Cool car, huh?

:):huh::D

One of the great pleasures of geocaching is that after a hard day of hiding and seeking, you can stop and have a cold brewski and some shrimp at your favorite watering hole.

Here's a pic of Wheel Dog, his ride and our waitress that I shot yesterday near the Illinoise border:

Cool car, huh?

:):huh::D

Which one is his new ride?

Cool car, huh?

:):D:huh:

Did you really have to shoot her Rick? Seems a bit extreme to me.

Wulf

Not sure exactly what the smelly dog uses to shoot kitties, they tend to squirm alot so maybe a cannon.

Anyone able to verify "Upper Wabash Reservoirs" as a ligit DNR account, trouble maker or Leaddog?

Wulf

I saw that Lead dog archived A BUNCH of caches and also Blackjohnson. something about a permit I guess.

anyway I think it is legit.

Not sure exactly what the smelly dog uses to shoot kitties, they tend to squirm alot so maybe a cannon.

Anyone able to verify "Upper Wabash Reservoirs" as a ligit DNR account, trouble maker or Leaddog?

Wulf

I saw that Lead dog archived A BUNCH of caches and also Blackjohnson. something about a permit I guess.

Saw that. One was on my watchlist to do.

We, also got an email in regards to our "paths of Evergreen" cache. We do not have a problem with the permit (free of charge) but our cache is along the walking path in Evergreen Park which we believe to be a city park. We will call them tomorrow to clarify if ours is on DNR property or city park property. Not a big deal to us, we just want to get clarification. It will, and is, a big deal to the hard core cachers who keep our hobby going. I am sorry to see so many caches having to be archived.

Edited by Random Find

I got my e-mail today as well. The funny part is that of the eight of the caches they had listed, four were placed with permission, told by DNR personnel permit was not needed, and one was not even my cache. Oh well, I can live with removing my caches and using the permit system if I decide to place caches in the Salamonie area again. No big deal here.

Chris-Team Shydog

We got our email today as well. I don't have a problem archiving mine that I didn't get a permit for, but we have one on the list at Evergreen Park in Huntington that is not on IDNR property according to the Huntington County Geographical Information System. Our cache and Random Find's are well to the North of the property line.

What I don't understand is why they even suggest getting the permit in the first place anymore. If you read their rules regarding caches on IDNR property, each property is only allowed a maximum number of 25, or 1 for every 200 acres of land that the property has, whichever amount is lower. Which means that if I even attempt to get a permit for them I will be turned down because the properties are already full.

Two of ours that were on the list we got were from the Fall Into Geocaching contest that were put out by the IDNR in the first place, and we submitted permits for those before they would even let us adopt them.

What is really sad is that when I checked last night we had 1263 caches that we hadn't found within a 50 miles radius of our home. Tonight that number is down to 1193. 70 caches lost in a matter of 24 hours, and those were just the ones we hadn't found. :)

We still need more data here. Anyone with over 100 ISQ finds, let us know, or you lose out!

ISQ/OSQ/MSQ FINDS updating

JPlus14...................471

Doobies..................365

dougsmiley..............322

Woverine Warriors...279

Che K.....................274

Buddaman...............267

IndyMagicMan..........244

Daggy.....................239

GoPhast..................233

Deermark...............229

Team Tigger............213

501 Gang.................210

The Moop Along........189

Random Find...........134

Team Shydog..........129

S Keillan.................112

jtbrady01................118

Fisherfinders........... 103

Car 54......................91

Floating Spots............79

SixDogTeam.............76

Nut House.................71

lakedawgs................65

Cybret......................55

Jenischemni...............51

Mintaka.....................53

Earthdog Patrick........29

Solarwib...................26

Wheel Dog................15

AndrewRJ.....................6

Edited by SixDogTeam

...Anyone able to verify "Upper Wabash Reservoirs" as a ligit DNR account, trouble maker or Leaddog?

Wulf

I get the gist of this: that more DNR caches are being pulled by someone called Upper Wabash Reservoirs. So, is this the whole state DNR, or just the Upper Wabash Reservoirs area? Permit required? Or permits not permitted?

I know there was some discussion along these lines, at the recent Indy Diver Roast & Tribute event, of pending changes in the DNR permit policies that would/could/may extend to reservoirs and SRA's. Has something happened?

For those of us who haven't received this email, what's up?

For those of you who didn't get the e-mail, this is the one we received. I don't mind playing by the rules, but there is a LOT of caches out there that will be lost. And I don't know if the DNR has any idea how many people these caches brought to their properties.

Anyway, here is our e-mail from the DNR...

Dear Upper Wabash Geocacher,

It has come to our attention that several geocaches on the Upper Wabash Reservoirs have been placed without permission or with a required Indiana Department of Natural Resources Geocaching Permit. A person who participates in geocaching on DNR land is subject to 312 IAC 8. A “cache” is a “device” and requires a license from the department under 312 IAC 8-2-10(6)(:). The standards for a license are outlined by Information Bulletin # 46. The entire policy can be accessed here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/InfoBulletin46_Geocaching.pdf. In addition, a list of affected geocaches is included below.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is giving geocachers on the Upper Wabash Reservoirs 30 days to either 1) remove and archive the unpermitted geocache or 2) apply for a geocache permit. After 30 days, state geocaching reviewers will begin archiving affected geocaches from the geocaching.com website. The permit is free and is good for one year, and can be found here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/Geocaching_Permit_09-03-04.pdf.

We hope you understand the need to maintain the balance of recreation and natural resource preservation in these great state parks and reservoirs. Should you have any questions regarding a geocache in question, please contact the property office in which the geocache is located.

Property Addresses:

Mississinewa Lake

4673 S 625 E

Peru, IN 46970

765-473-6528

Salamonie Lake

9214 W Lost Bridge W

Andrews, IN 46702

260-468-2125

J Edward Roush Lake

517 N Warren Rd

Huntington, IN 46750

260-468-2165

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Upper Wabash Reservoirs

JACOB'S CACHE GCT8BB

Missing Dental Work GC2665

JJ's Sweet Sixteen Cache GCY4EW

JJ's Sweet Sixteen Cache GCY4EW

TEAM RETRIEVER'S DEAD TREE HILL GCRYAH

TEAM RETRIEVER'S M2 GCQPN0

TEAM RETRIEVER'S M3 GCQPN5

TEAM RETRIEVER'S M4 GCQPN9

TEAM RETRIEVER'S M6 AT THE AIRPORT GCRX4M

TEAM RETRIEVER'S M7 GCT9E1

TEAM RETRIEVER'S Oriole Field GCVM77

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ee...6d-cd40efcdb951

Thanks for that. could be worse, I think. At least you are given the chance to apply to keep them there. I wonder if you talk to the individual property managers if things would be more conducive to interpretation? I guess that could go either way.

The DNR rules on geocaching also indicates that only 2 caches (permits) are allowed per individual at any given time. If the DNR is enforcing that limit and the 25 cache maximum per park, it sure seems like there will be a huge number of lost caches. :)

It seems like a bad decision on their part to me. With the increased cost of travel, some mini-vacations to local state parks was looking like a great summer alternative. They won't be nearly as appealing now.

On the ISQ note, we have 47 ISQ finds

I was talking with a DNR friend down this way and it seems the permitting of caches at state reservoirs has been in effect for a while but hasn't been enforced until now. It looks to me like the IDNR is worried about some of their properties becoming oversaturated. My contact down here did ask that we pick up any archived caches to avoid leaving Geogarbage. That is about all I know.

Deermark

I meant to add that what Indy Diver said at the event 2 weeks ago was a misunderstanding. He thought the IDNR was ordering permits on all properties. But only State Parks and Reservoirs require permits at the moment. Sorry for the confusion this may have cause. Indy Diver was just trying to keep us informed.

Deermark

Edited for spelling

Edited by Deermark

Snagged a few more ISQs today, bringing my total to a whopping 54! Halfway to the century mark!!!

(It's nothing compared to y'all, though!)

GAH! One more and Jenischmeni will be tied with me!!!!

Must hit ISQ's this weekend!!!!!!!! :)

Okay, I'm going to suggest this like I did back when the ACRES properties enforced their rules...I feel we should establish a small group or committee of geocachers to discuss this with the DNR. We could either meet with DNR officials or the individual property managers. Whoever meets with them will need to be very professional and open minded in their approach. Having been an active officer with our state bowhunting organization for over a decade, I know that the DNR is always willing to listen. I think while we won't be able to get rid of the permit/cache limit, we might be able to get that limit increased and change a few things like the need to move them every year. Anyone with me??? I think a group of about four or five people willing to work together would be beneficial. It's either that or suck it up and accept the rules.

On another note...TEAM RETRIEVER will keep our caches out for one week, maybe two, since the DNR gave us 30 days to remove them. After a week or two, they will be archived. I'm doing this because I've already gotten a request from one geocacher wanting to find them. So if ya haven't claimed all of ours yet, now's your chance!

Okay, I'm going to suggest this like I did back when the ACRES properties enforced their rules...I feel we should establish a small group or committee of geocachers to discuss this with the DNR. We could either meet with DNR officials or the individual property managers. Whoever meets with them will need to be very professional and open minded in their approach.

It would have been nice if we'd been given that opportunity when they first discussed writting policy.

Wulf

I will be amazed if there are five left in a five mile radius. :D

I amvery disheartened at the turn of events.

Wish I would have discovered the area much sooner, so I could have enjoyed it and caching together.

Edited by FloatingSpots