Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Those who know me know I'm a big GIS geek. While exploring some new layers that have become available, I saw the cemetery layer. I've been playing with how many were in each county, in case anyone's curious. A lot of dead people around Bloomington.

f_cemeteriesim_9518112.jpg

For a new geocoin, anyone want to guess how many state recognized official cemeteries are located in the state of Indiana. Guess within 10, only one guess per day, my word is final. No counting dots on the map!

:D

Those who know me know I'm a big GIS geek. While exploring some new layers that have become available, I saw the cemetery layer. I've been playing with how many were in each county, in case anyone's curious. A lot of dead people around Bloomington.

For a new geocoin, anyone want to guess how many state recognized official cemeteries are located in the state of Indiana. Guess within 10, only one guess per day, my word is final. No counting dots on the map!

Okay, our 16yr. old says 2,336.

Well talk about a small world. I attended North East Elementary School. My parents lived in the neighborhood until their deaths in 2005.

Yes, there are quite a number of caches in the area and I think there are 3 within easy walking distance of North East.

But don't sweat the move. Greenwood is not that far and there are cool caches south of Franklin, too. I was caching in Edinburgh and Amity today!

I'm getting use to it. A lot of our neighbors at the old house were stuck up and very rude. It's not like here. I see one around here, talk for a minute and go on our way. Over there, it was dirty looks and any chance they got try to listen in. We only have 1 of those here.:D I lived over on Spring Dr. Drove through there, they are about to tear up all of that area like they did with Northern Park a few years back. That'll be a huge mess. I got out just in time LOL..

But.... John and I went and found 3 more tonight. I think we're pretty good at this stuff after dark.:D Although we didn't plan for it. It was light out, could see just fine then all of a sudden, it was dark.

Franklin Trail #2 and 3 plus the one at the Greenwood Park mall while picking up John's g/f.

John and I have Sprint and upgraded to the Ultimate Power Vision packages. John's phone is supported for the Geocache Navigator GPS. So we had that tonight! My phone isn't supported.:D But, I do have another GPS program that works, I just can't enter in my own coords. Going to find one that does. Pretty cool. Saves us from buying a GPS and it's a lot cheaper. We're hooked now and will be out in force tomorrow.:D

I'd love to come tomorrow but I have some things going on and won't be able to make it. We'll just have to meet everyone at the next one!

Joah

If we were exploring all believed cemeteries, burial grounds, mounds, and graveyards in Indiana, then it would actually be over 100,000. In fact our cemetery happy caching friend from Bippus would be correct at 125,000! 125,000 boggles my mind; that's over 1300 per county! Searching "how many cemeteries in Indiana" online will bring the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology site to the top of the search engine. A brief synopsis of the registry program, in which the GIS data was produced, is mentioned there.

For those really interested in the details of the program and what information has been collected from these sites you can go to: Creating a Spatial Database for Indiana’s Cemetery and Burial Ground Registry

From this data set, began in 2000, This magic number has been identified and recognized on the DHPA registry....

CYBret was too low, but emurock was too high today. No one has been been within a couple hundred of the number registered.

Makes for interesting discussion of large and diverse subject of our Hoosier heritage.

On a side note, the trackable Indiana Geocoins arrived today! Hopefully receive the non trackables within a couple days and will start shipping them out. We got the "IN" prefix.

Doug, You might want to post that info on the thread in the Geocoin Forum as well. They can be a ruthless bunch over there and the more info given the happier they are.

So did everyone get a chance to go out caching in Indiana this weekend? I didn't :)