Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Today would be a good day to go geocaching in Indiana. Remember to put the lids on the containers :D back on tightly. :D

I plan on it. Plus, I have next week off of work. So, I'm planning a day trip to your neck of the woods. Since that's where I'm originally from anyway. Time to go visit some long past relatives again.

Today would be a good day to go geocaching in Indiana. Remember to put the lids on the containers :) back on tightly. :P

Ok, You twisted my arm.

Leaddog, We are meeting up with Pinestrail at noon today at the Pizzahut in Huntington. If you are hungry, stop in and see us.

:) Cash for Hides :P

would have, had i seen this before now.

Cybret, your post #2 at 7:17 a.m. yesterday was BRILLIANT!!! I wonder how many heads this flew over? I spewed Rum & Root Beer all over my keyboard when I read it. Tears in my eyes and a coughing jag ensued, I was laughing so hard! This is the sort of subtle ironic wit that only we with a superior evil sense of humour can even recognize. I have a renewed respect for your moderator abilites and your social commentary--the equivalent of a properly raised eyebrow. I cannot thank you enuff. I'm just sorry that 90% of those who read it will not see the underlying meaning. BRAVO. Sir, BRAVO!! In future, I shall watch your comments more carefully--who knows what bon mots I have missed in the past thru careless reading...

:D:D:laughing::ph34r::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::ph34r:

Cybret, your post #2 at 7:17 a.m. yesterday was BRILLIANT!!! I wonder how many heads this flew over? I spewed Rum & Root Beer all over my keyboard when I read it. Tears in my eyes and a coughing jag ensued, I was laughing so hard! This is the sort of subtle ironic wit that only we with a superior evil sense of humour can even recognize. I have a renewed respect for your moderator abilites and your social commentary--the equivalent of a properly raised eyebrow. I cannot thank you enuff. I'm just sorry that 90% of those who read it will not see the underlying meaning. BRAVO. Sir, BRAVO!! In future, I shall watch your comments more carefully--who knows what bon mots I have missed in the past thru careless reading...

:laughing::D:D:ph34r::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::ph34r:

1. I didn't post at 7:17 am yesterday (IlliNOISE time or IndiANNER time).

2. You probably shouldn't be drinking rum and root beer at 7:17 am anyway. That's more of a Wheaties and Ripple kind of time.

3. You can probably chalk the "careless reading" up to the Rum (and the sticky keyboard/monitor).

4. Thank you for your accolades and please continue to enjoy GEOCACHING in INDIANA.

:laughing::unsure::D:ph34r::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::D

2. You probably shouldn't be drinking rum and root beer at 7:17 am anyway. That's more of a Wheaties and Ripple kind of time.

3. You can probably chalk the "careless reading" up to the Rum (and the sticky keyboard/monitor).

4. Thank you for your accolades and please continue to enjoy GEOCACHING in INDIANA.

1. The 7:17 referred to is the time posted on the log. It is not real time. probably zulu or official GC.com time or something. I don't know how to adjust it for local time.

2. Your assumption that I READ your log at the same time you POSTED it has no merit.

3. We never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast.

4. Give our regards to the Zooker.

5. I think you must know which posting I'm referring to--you locked the thread. :ph34r:

:ph34r::D:ph34r::laughing::D:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::ph34r:

1. The 7:17 referred to is the time posted on the log. It is not real time. probably zulu or official GC.com time or something. I don't know how to adjust it for local time.

2. Your assumption that I READ your log at the same time you POSTED it has no merit.

3. We never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast.

4. Give our regards to the Zooker.

5. I think you must know which posting I'm referring to--you locked the thread. :unsure:

1. If you're interested in a brief tutorial on how to set the forum time to your local time I'd be glad to help. I know how you IndiANNER people have trouble changing clocks.

2. I assumed that you were SO on top of these forums that you read the posts the instant they came

3. Your self-control to stick with nothing stronger than gin before breakfast is a testimony to your strength of character. I salute you, sir!

4. I haven't been GEOCACHING in INDIANA for a while and I really miss it.

5. I can neither confirm nor deny that I know what thread you're talking about

6. Just between you and me, there are times when this moderator job brings a little smile to my face :laughing:

1. If you're interested in a brief tutorial on how to set the forum time to your local time I'd be glad to help. I know how you IndiANNER people have trouble changing clocks.

2. I assumed that you were SO on top of these forums that you read the posts the instant they came

3. Your self-control to stick with nothing stronger than gin before breakfast is a testimony to your strength of character. I salute you, sir!

4. I haven't been GEOCACHING in INDIANA for a while and I really miss it.

5. I can neither confirm nor deny that I know what thread you're talking about

6. Just between you and me, there are times when this moderator job brings a little smile to my face :laughing:

Yes, please on the tutorial.

BTW, they just challenged your judgement on closing that thread... :)

The above post was me. That sneaky little dog has logged in and apparently been cruising the forums on the other computer. Now I've got to check on what he's posted. He might have water on the brain. Here's why:

(From Lead Dog's Blog)

PATRICK NEEDS A BATH

It is 6:14 a.m. out and dark and 45.9 degrees. Had to close the windows upstairs last night and slept under the quilt--this after a week of 90 degree days. Earthdog is outside in the rain.

Reminds me of the days, long ago when I slept under an OD wool blanket at nite with the temperature of 80 degrees. We were cold because we were experiencing a 40 degree drop from the 120 degree days... Bright starry nights of long ago in the mysterious orient.

Went geocachingyesterday and Patrick endured a little more excitement that he's used to. He's a real tough little booger and used to bushwhacking thru stickers and tall grass and weeds, over and under logs, over rivers etc. He loves it.

But yesterday he may have gotten more than he is used to. We are quite comfortable navigating over small creeks and streams, which are usually only a couple of inches deep and with clear country water you can see the bottom.

But yesterday we were urban caching, bushwhacked across a field, and came to a stream only about two and a half feet wide. Patrick doesn't leap over stuff like this, he likes to get his paws wet.

So he plunged in, and sank head first into the murky water. All I could see was his dog butt, which quickly disappeared, so i tossed my handheld to my companion who was already across the ditch and prepared to somehow rescue the little idiot, when his head bobbed up, and he began dog paddling furiously, then madly clawing at the bank. I leaped the ditch, and grabbed him by the neck and pulled him straight up and out. He had a little look of panic and shame and help me on his dog face. (Speaking of Dog Face, he now has over 400 friends on into a deceptively deep run-off ditch that was about two feet deep. Since he only stands 12 inches at the withers, all I could see was his dog butt, which rapidly disappeared. I quickly pitched my hand-held to my companion who was already across the ditch, and prepared to somehow rescue this little idiot, when all of a sudden his head popped up, dog paddlingFacebook/Dogbook with requests coming in every day).

So on dry land, safe and sound, he did the doggy shake thing a number of times and the doggy dry myself by rubbing on the ground thing and was good to go except all wet and extremely smelly!

The above has been expertly edited by Blogger--see what I have to go thru??? Just does whatever it xxxxx well pleases.

:grin:B)

MORE LATER--GO GATORS

Thanks for the heads up, Rick.

Just trying to suck up a bit. You guys put me on double secret probation,and give me warnings that I never get and percentages and such and won't tell me how to know about it so I never know if I'm in trouble or not... B)

Now why would we EVER put a dog on probation!??!!??! 108.gif

Thanks for the heads up, Rick.

Just trying to suck up a bit. You guys put me on double secret probation,and give me warnings that I never get and percentages and such and won't tell me how to know about it so I never know if I'm in trouble or not... :laughing:

Patrick, just read about your little adventure. You're one crazy dog. Wish mine would ride in a car then he could have some fun once in a while. Remember dogs only smell with their noses.

CONGRATULATIONS TO RANDOM FIND FOR #500!!!!!!

Random Find found Patrick's West River Road Tour #7: Sandy Beach (Traditional Cache) at 10/13/2007

Log Date: 10/13/2007

Wow, this one was a big one for us not only did we get FTF but this is also #500!!!!! We had a blast! We tried everything we could think of to try not to get wet but in the end we just said "oh well, get wet girls" & they loved it. Once we found the cache & a different way out, the girls managed still to get soaked, but had a so much fun. Cheyenne didn't want to jump in, so she got carried part of the way across. Rather than trekking all the way back along the river we found the road & walked back. Cheyenne just happened to find an admirer along the way & he followed us all the way to the van, so we loaded him up & took him back to his house. Thanks for the day of adventures with my family. TFTC

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...da-855951ab6ed0

Visit Patrick's West River Road Tour #7: Sandy Beach

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...32-664cff987e7e

Profile for Random Find:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c3...16-f1df1bea207d

:D:blink::blink::D

We received the following email at National HQ here in Bippus, that we thought might be of interest to GEO-ISQ members....

[GEO] cemeterylady contacting SixDogTeam from Geocaching.com‏

Sent: Wed 10/17/07 8:29 AM

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

Hello! I found your email through the geocache site. I am not a geocacher- couldn't care less, researched a little because I teach geography and it seemed a cool project until I found how much the GPS thingies cost........then I saw the Spirit Quest stuff. Ok, NOW you got me. I am a cemetery person. I have been in all the cemeteries you showed for Steuben County - many times, sometimes many times a year. I photograph markers. I do cemetery history walks in Circle Hill. I have photographed some of the same markers. You, however, have found some that I have never noticed. NEVER. NEVER. I stand in awe. I lived next to Mt. Zion as a child and I PLAYED in that cemetery, made up stories about the people, thought I knew every stone, and I NEVER saw the balloonist one. (my family alternates between being amazed and laughing, because I'm actually upset about that .) AND - though I have righted flowers, replaced flags religiously, and cleaned out bags of trash, I have NEVER found any of your cache holders. Never. ( I would have noticed if I picked it up as trash. I really am careful, especially about things that might have been left intentionally and got moved from a grave.) Now I want to go find one and write in the log. I may even look for others. I even got a geocache login so I could write to you. Whoever Shadow is, and the rest of Spirit Quest, I stand in awe. Your research is remarkable. I should know- I've done the same and used it in the talks.

You don't know me. I'm a faceless email and you have no proof I'm not a kook, but if you're in the Steuben County area again, I would love to meet you. I would also like to help replace whatever has gone missing at Circle Hill Cemetery, and you're right - the Dan Webster story is the best. I also have more background for Henry Janes, who died descending Mount McKInley. Thank you for listening.

Kathy

:laughing:

User's Profile:

It just goes to show how much respect we have for those who have gone before us. I have the upmost praise for all those who have place caches in the name of the Indiana Spirit Quest group. Some of the best part of doing the caches is reading about the cemetery. That is why if we ever do another cemetery CITO I'll be there.

Thanks CYBret. It's an awesome bunch of caches that I highly recommend. Certainly the toughest one day hike i've done to date.

Check out the google view of the caches (The new google maps are cool, aren't they?): http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;zm=14&mt=h

Yeah, would have been nice to make it down there. Got stuck doing a church function on Saturday. Did spend Sunday caching over the border in oHIo since it was was a close drive from where I'm at.

Wheel Dog and I were geocaching in Lexington Kentucky Saturday and decided to take in ESPN's Gameday broadcast and the UF-KY game. We were selected as the only Gator Finalists in ESPN's Ultimate Fan contest from Lexington. If you would like to see our video and possibly vote for us, here is a link:

vote here

Thanks and

Go Gators!!

Keep on Cachin'!!

:):):)

Wheel Dog and I were geocaching in Lexington Kentucky Saturday and decided to take in ESPN's Gameday broadcast and the UF-KY game. We were selected as the only Gator Finalists in ESPN's Ultimate Fan contest from Lexington. If you would like to see our video and possibly vote for us, here is a link:

vote here

Thanks and

Go Gators!!

Keep on Cachin'!!

:):):)

Done !!!!

Just for you guys cuz we love you !

Star

The three year anniversary of this thread is coming up..I think we should throw a party!!!

Original Post:

International

post Nov 17 2004, 05:32 PM

Post #1

Bouncin' On In !

Group: Premium Members

So Lead Dog , when ya gonna get busy and Find some more caches if you are out of Ideas to place them ?

PS , Started this Thread so as not to annoy BigMike . Sorry BigMike.

--------------------

Star - American - Geocaching Goddess and Provider of Milkbones

Wulf - Canadian - A Wealth of Useless Information (comes in handy at times)

The wonderful thing about Tiggers is Tiggers a wonderful thing their tops are made of rubber the bottoms are made of spring, they're bouncy trouncy bouncy bouncy fun fun fun fun......

:D:):rolleyes::cool:

Congrats to Che K on reaching #1300!

Way to go Che K ! You can't go wrong with a caching partner like Patrick now can you ! :D

Star

Those were the days my friends,

We thought they'd never end!

We'd hide and seek forever and a Day!

We'd be the first to find!

We cached and then we dined!

Those were the days, oh yes those were the days!!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

Congrats to Che K on reaching #1300!

Way to go Che K ! You can't go wrong with a caching partner like Patrick now can you ! :lol:

Star

Those were the days my friends,

We thought they'd never end!

We'd hide and seek forever and a Day!

We'd be the first to find!

We cached and then we dined!

Those were the days, oh yes those were the days!!!

:)

Thanks, everyone!

I'm ready whenever you are, Patrick. Thinking of another trip to OH. Your crate is ready in the car and it is stocked with with dog biscuits!

Got this in an email this morning and thought of you Bret. :)

Cybret was making his rounds to his parishioners on a bicycle, when he came upon a little boy trying to sell a lawn mower. "How much do you want for the mower?" Cybret asked.

"I just want enough money to go out and buy me a bicycle," said the little boy.

After a moment of consideration, Cybret asked, "Will you take my bike in trade for it?"

The little boy asked if he could try it out first, and after riding the bike around a little while said, "Mister, you've got yourself a deal."

Cybret took the mower and began to try to crank it. He pulled on the string a few times with no response from the mower. Cybret called the little boy over and said, "I can't get this mower to start."

The little boy said, "That's because you have to cuss at it to get it started."

Cybret said, "I am a minister; and I cannot cuss. It has been so long since I have been saved that I do not even remember how to cuss."

The little boy looked at him happily and said, "Just keep pulling on that string. It'll come back to ya!"

Hey everyone! Wanted to post here and say hello. Let all of you know who I am, where I live and all that good stuff. My name is Joah. I am 23, living in Franklin. You'll here a lot about my friend John, as he is in this with me. He is 24 and lives on the SS of Indy.

It's weird how I found out about GeoCaching. I was just looking around at videos on Metacafe.com and came across THIS VIDEO and thought it was a really cool idea. So, I came to the site and started reading! Made a user name, looked around the Franklin area, and saw there was one just down the Greenway Walking Trail. I live in the neighborhood that leads into the woods. I thought it was cool that someone had been in this area, even though we just built this house a little over 3 months ago. So, if theres anyone around my neighborhood, you know who I am now! :)

Late Saturday night John and I were pretty bored. Couldn't think of much to do. I was telling him about this, and he said, lets go then! So around 12:50am we headed out the door. We found it about 1:28am. We thought John's cell did GPS but, it was a very poor version or something, didn't even come close to the coords one person had posted for the "dirt trail". We knew around about where it was, so we just got to lookin'. At 1:28am we were just about to give up, when John stumbled upon it.:) We were pretty cold by then, I had forgot to grab something to trade before leaving the house so I just signed & dated a paper we had.

So overall it was a fun night after all. We weren't sure what to expect, whether it would be fun and exciting or just one of those things that sounds fun, but turns out to be a dud. I plan on getting us a GPS as soon as I can come up with the extra money. But now, we have found something that we both like doing and will continue to go Cache hunting! Btw, has anyone gone GeoCaching without a GPS? Thanks to everyone that keeps this going strong!

We are in the works of planning our own in the coming weeks. (Hopefully)

Joah & John

P.S. If there is a problem with my User Name here on the forums, please let me know and we can work out a U/N change. I've used this for everything I have signed up for in the last 2 years. Got started by a friend of mine (name calling) and just stuck with it over the years.:)

Welcome to the addiction, John. Prepare to live, eat, breathe and sleep geocaching. It happens before you know it. Once you take that first one...it's all down hill from there. Unfortunatly at this time, there is no 12 step program to help you recover from this addiction.

Seriously though, I know of at least 3 people that started out caching without GPSrs. They used google maps, etc. to zoom in on the location. They were VERY successful with it, but once I showed them what it was like to hunt with a GPSr, they never went back to the "old ways."

Welcome to the addiction, Joah. Prepare to live, eat, breathe and sleep geocaching. It happens before you know it. Once you take that first one...it's all down hill from there. Unfortunatly at this time, there is no 12 step program to help you recover from this addiction.

Seriously though, I know of at least 3 people that started out caching without GPSrs. They used google maps, etc. to zoom in on the location. They were VERY successful with it, but once I showed them what it was like to hunt with a GPSr, they never went back to the "old ways."

Welcome Joah! Glad you like the addiction!

While you're looking for caches, be sure to keep an eye open for event caches that pop up everywhere! They are the best places to meet other cachers and to get some tricks of the trade!

Welcome Joah! Do y ou have a dog?

Thanks for the welcome! Patrick got my name right! B) I knew I was forgetting something. I am Joah (the one that is online all the time). John is my friend, which is who I was talking about this morning.B)

I had typed so much I forgot what I was suppose to add at the end.

But yeah, even though I know this area pretty good for living here 3 months, we still used Google Maps and Live Search (This one has the Birds Eye View for most places) to spot out which trees were where to get an idea of where to walk to in the woods. After you're in there (after dark) it's a lot harder to spot a white tree.

I will keep an eye out for events around for us to show up to. I'm sure theres a lot for us to learn.

I don't have a dog yet. We still need to get a fence here. I don't want to get a dog without one. Theres a lot of little kids that run around the neighborhood. Plus, the house backs to the creek and lots of people walk through our back yard, the creek it's self, and you can see that "dirt trail" from out back yard.

It's good to hear a few people have started out without a GPS. I should have some extra money by the end of November.B)

Joah

Welcome Joah!

I just started caching 10 months ago, so I'm still kind of new to the hobby. I don't live too far from you, I'm in Greenwood. I've cached in Franklin and probably know most of the caches down there.

It's awesome that you found one without a GPSr. Like The Herd said, I know of people who cache without a GPSr, it's just a heck of a lot easier WITH one! They way that they did it was the exact same way you did.

I found out about geocaching quite similarly. A friend had just heard about it, had found a few caches and was describing it. She didn't have time to take me out, so I just went to the local sporting goods store and bought a receiver and set off on the journey. I didn't find anything about the first 20 tries, but I really didn't know what I was looking for yet. Once I found that first one, the effort paid off.

Like Lord Elwood said, watch for Events. They are an awesome way to meet other cachers in our area and you can learn so much from them.

Right now, the two upcoming events near you (that I am aware of) are Trail Mix 10 - at Muscatatuck Park (near Seymour). The Trail Mix is this coming Saturday. Don't worry if you don't have a GPSr, everyone else will have one and you walk the trail in groups. Think of like a guided tour. Another event is a dinner on the west side of Indy. It's at the Noble Romans on 10th Street on Sunday. Both of these events can be found on the event page/calendar.

I'm attending the Trail Mix and also Hangin' Around the Campfire later. You're welcome to join us!

Thanks Jenischmeni... Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I'd love to go but, I'm not sure if I can make it. Depends on how I feel. I have an infected tooth thats just killing me. The pain has gone down quite a bit in just a day of taking this med. I'll know Thursday if I'll be up for all that walking. I hope so though.:D

I wish I would have found this before we moved from Greenwood to Franklin. We just moved down here July 15th. I noticed from the map theres a ton up there. Plus, within 2 miles of my old house, I found 20-30. A few I could of easily walked to. I lived right by North East Elementary School. I could find a lot of hiding places in that area. I still need to learn Franklin. I lived in that house in Greenwood for 19 years! It's still weird living down here.:D

But I'll let everyone know if I can make it down to Trail Mix 10. Thanks for the heads up.

Joah

Well talk about a small world. I attended North East Elementary School. My parents lived in the neighborhood until their deaths in 2005.

Yes, there are quite a number of caches in the area and I think there are 3 within easy walking distance of North East.

But don't sweat the move. Greenwood is not that far and there are cool caches south of Franklin, too. I was caching in Edinburgh and Amity today!