Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Bump! I just got my 18th cache published in Indiana. Seems we are in Indy enough that we decided to put a cache in Carmel. It will probably get lost amongst the tons of caches in the region but I actually found a spot with no caches in the close area. Right near 465 too!

GC11Y27 Fighting the Beast Within

First to find gets to find it first

What's this geocaching thing all of you speak of. I seem to remember doing something like that many many moons ago.

Looking good Torry. Are you coming to Cybrets little Geocaching Birthday event?

Speaking of which, I was out caching in a downpour at the lake today and saw literally dozens of people gathered around the base of a cliff, some clamboring around on the cliff, in a spot where there is a geocache hidden which I found a couple of years ago. I pulled in the parking lot out of curiosity and there was a whole row of Ford Excursions, and one Chevy, all with IlliNOISE licence plates parked there. I figure they were either geocahers or geology students on a field trip, I really don't know which. Anyone know if any large group of IlliNOISE cachers were caching in the Cataract lake area today?[ "Cagles Mill Lake " on maps, "Cataract Lake" to the locals]

We had a GREAT time at the CITO here in Indiana today. The day started with light snow, heavy wind. But, by the time we headed off to the actual CITO site, the snow and wind had stopped! We learned several things today:

1.) Apperantly the best way to demolish a shed is to roll the whole thing over!

2.) You can't pull a Ford with a Dodge. This results in the need to hook up a Jeep to the Dodge, that is hooked to the Ford, so you can get the Dodge and the Ford up the hill.

3.) Indiana cachers, me included, are dangerous...but FUN...when given sledge hammers!

4.) Lord Elwood and Treasure Hunting Dad are good with football moves, unless the wooden post isn't as rotted as the last one was.

5.) Never, and I mean NEVER, let Lord Elwood be the one to take apart the central air conditioning unit. He doesn't know how to turn off the freon valve...thus resulting in a white, slimy mess all down the side of the house!

6.) Give 4 women access to a locked house, and they can't resist the urge to go in and look around. Even if this means that these women need to climb up over a roof, across a second story banister...to enter said house!

7.) Women cachers can demolish ANYTHING that men cachers can! Just ask the guys that were there today!

8.) There is a group of cachers in NEI (and 3 from MI!) that are ALWAYS willing to help out, to pay back to the state park system that has really embraced caching the past few years...and they are a LOT of fun to be around!

Amber

ONLY THREE DAYS LEFT TIL 2007 BAGO HOT DOG BASH IN HUNTINGTON, INDIANA!!! FREE HOT DOGS! FUN FUN FUN!! CHEERLEADERS!! CLOSEST TO THE PIN CONTEST!! FLUSH TOILETS!!!!!!!!!!! HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITIES!!! NEW GEOCACHES!!!! PRIZES!! PLAY AT HOME GAME!!! FREE DOG WALKING BY KIDS!!! FREE ROOTBEER!! REAL BEER FOR VETERANS!!! LETTERBOX HYBRID WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE!!! HELICOPTER RIDES (FOR IANG MEMBERS ONLY) CONFIDENTIAL COUNSELING AND FREE INCOME TAX PREPARATION BAGO DOES IT ALL!!! FREE NEAR- BEER FOR CANADIANS!!!!! PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT!! HOT FISHING SPOT!!!! VALET PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):(:(:mad::mad:

Sadly this Canadian will be not be able to enjoy all that lovely near-beer. I'll be helping teach new cachers how to track and identify beer in the wild. I feel it's my duty as a veteran cachers to pass along these valuable skills to others. I know that Indiana cachers are already skilled at this since we've never been bother by wild beer while caching there. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Illinoise.

Wulf

Sadly this Canadian will be not be able to enjoy all that lovely near-beer. I'll be helping teach new cachers how to track and identify beer in the wild. I feel it's my duty as a veteran cachers to pass along these valuable skills to others. I know that Indiana cachers are already skilled at this since we've never been bother by wild beer while caching there. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Illinoise.

Wulf

Well, here's Wulf with some captured WILD ILLINOISE BEER circa January 2006...

61da5aff-3968-461f-8678-ed643b57ef46.jpg

;)<_<:o

For those of you who may not realize it, 2007 BAGO HOT DOG BASH is being held tomorrow at the Huntington Dam. Our sponsors, ISQ,Wabash Warriors MAGC, LOEGD, and Bruno Battaglia Productions, Inc. Hollywood, Calif. have just announced several new items in the goody bags for our Event Staff: $100.00 gift Certificate to Che Gueverra's Cuban Bistro in Warsaw, Indiana and Binford 6000c South American Mapping Software.

If you would like to volunteer for next year's BASH (we always need security personnel), contact Earthdog Patrick at the event.

SEE YOU SATURDAY

Don't forget to bring:

Suntan Oil

Sunglasses

Swim trunks/bikinis

beach towel

beach umbrella

flip flops

GPSr

camera

Bail money

:lol:

Edited by SixDogTeam

As promised in week one, Ranger's adventures would take him from the Ohio River to the Michigan state line. However, his adventures have only begun! Camping season officially starts next weekend, and rumor has it Ranger is going to be really busy getting our great state parks ready for vacation hungry tourists. He's teaching all the baby raccoons out there how to open coolers and steal bags of marshmallows right from the picnic tables! And.. of course he's dropping free coins!!!

Next week, we'll reveal locations to some coins that have been sitting in caches for over a month. Ranger enjoys the comments he's received. In conversations with him this weekend, he's getting to see some of Indiana's great sights and sounds. A funny story from him recounts his adventure in one southern Indiana park where he got spooked by a raccoon (of all things!) in a tunnel, and dropped his flashlight by mistake. I hear he was going back today to try to recover it and to leave another coin (hint, hint, Raccoon Adventure #13)

IDNR State Parks and Reservoir Geocoins have been found at: Tippecanoe River State Park, Ouabache State Park, Whitewater Memorial State Park, Mississinewa Reservoir, Salamonie Reservoir, Pokagon State Park, Raccoon Lake SRA, and Lieber SRA.

Congratulations to: I Did It, 1MarkyMark1, UASF #1, Butterfly Girlz, Bluegillfisherman, The Tree Rustler's Gang, LTCMDR, and others I may have missed.

Ranger's adventures will be very busy this week, and the hints to these free coins will be at http://raccoonsadventure.indianageocaching.com

PNC

Thanks to everybody who helped make the 2007 Spring BAGO Hot Dog Bash a success. We had 64 accounts sign in and we served 96 hot dogs, 8 turkey dogs, 3 filet mignons, 36 shrimps cooked by Pinestrail and Che K. Temperature was a balmy 75 degrees and Sunny. Spotted over two dozen fisherman at the dam. Too many geo-dogs to count!

4229be6f-4a7f-4f6a-b931-5d6635c6222c.jpg

Your hosts: Buddaman, Pinestrail, Che K, Lead Dog, Wheel Dog(photo by Team Shydog)

:rolleyes:;);):D

This surely isn't necessary. Are our caches going to be archived if we do not add "attributes" to them? I can understand requiring the no night caching attribute in a cemetery. Otherwise, I don't see a reason to require having any.

I always found them useless. They aren't included in GPX files. If they were, I might be more inclined to use them.

I have nothing against Reviewer Jones, but if he has to help out in Indiana so much, why don't we add another reviewer who's from Indiana?

I just had 2 caches reviewed by Reviewer Jones out of Kansas. He has asked that we put attributes on any caches that do not have them. I told him I would pass along the info.

Deermark

We believe approvers should have the power to demand extra requirements on a local basis as conditions warrant.

However, attributes are still an option. When Groundspeak requires them, we will comply since we use them on all our hides anyway.

I think an approver could reasonably request a certain attribute on an ad hoc basis for certain caches, such as not night caching in cemeteries, or falling rocks in a quarry etc., but not a blanket request to use what is still a voluntary option. We think he errs in judgement in this request, just our opinion, borne of years and years and years of exerience and extreme wisdom. :laughing:

Edited by SixDogTeam

Some inquiring with some reviewers helped clarify the request some more. Groundspeak wants to start seeing certain attribute icons used more consistently. Specifically, the handicap attribute put on true 1/1 caches.

If it's a 1/1 and does not have the handicap attribute, then I think the cache page is flagged on the reviewer's screen.

Do those Reviewers include Jones? That clarification is all well and good, but it's not the message conveyed by Jones thru Deermark.

:laughing:

ONE week to go until the Happy Birthday GEOCACHING event in Terre Haute, INDIANA! Looks like we've got about 20 confirmed so far.

As I've mentioned before, there are some really cool prizes that have been donated. We got another box in yesterday with a few items.

Hope to see you there!

Bret

P.S. Cheeseburger in Paradise is handicapped accessible at a 1-star terrain...that makes it easy to get in and even easier to leave. :laughing:

The handicap thing I can also understand. I don't mind requiring certain attributes so long as it's for future caches and not existing ones. I do think that no matter what, caches created before this decision should be grandfathered and it shouldn't be required of owners to go back and add attributes.

Again, I don't mind Reviewer Jones, hes a great reviewer. I just think that if theres going to need to be a second Indiana reviewer, they should be a local.

ONE week to go until the Happy Birthday GEOCACHING event in Terre Haute, INDIANA! Looks like we've got about 20 confirmed so far.

As I've mentioned before, there are some really cool prizes that have been donated. We got another box in yesterday with a few items.

Hope to see you there!

Bret

P.S. Cheeseburger in Paradise is handicapped accessible at a 1-star terrain...that makes it easy to get in and even easier to leave. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to it, counting the days.. But like I said before my hours are somewhat unpredictable, so far this week I got off work at 5:16 Monday, 6:32 Tuesday, and 5:12 today. Add in the evening work at home and the drive and it wouled be about two hours afyer I get off work before I'll be there.

So I gotta ask to be off "ontime" next May 2 and hope it works. :)

Some inquiring with some reviewers helped clarify the request some more. Groundspeak wants to start seeing certain attribute icons used more consistently. Specifically, the handicap attribute put on true 1/1 caches.

If it's a 1/1 and does not have the handicap attribute, then I think the cache page is flagged on the reviewer's screen.

Do those Reviewers include Jones? That clarification is all well and good, but it's not the message conveyed by Jones thru Deermark.

:lol:

Yes, this conversation included Reviewer Jones. From what I was told, he is simply asking that the handicap icon be used on true 1/1 caches, so that those cachers out there that can only cache TRUE 1/1's aren't surprised when they get there by terrain they can't manage.

The handicap thing I can also understand. I don't mind requiring certain attributes so long as it's for future caches and not existing ones. I do think that no matter what, caches created before this decision should be grandfathered and it shouldn't be required of owners to go back and add attributes.

Again, I don't mind Reviewer Jones, hes a great reviewer. I just think that if theres going to need to be a second Indiana reviewer, they should be a local.

Reviewer Jones is only helping out Indiana while our local reviewer handles some personal things. I realize he isn't local, but would MUCH rather have someone help out, than to have caches sit unapproved for several days! RJ has popped in several times in the past to help out when things get a bit backed up. We all have to admit, Indiana is a big state, and I can't imagine being the ONE person responsible for approving all the caches in the state.

I can't imagine being the ONE person responsible for approving all the caches in the state.

If the state is so big it requires more than one volunteer, then I agree with Doug that the additonal volunteer should be a Hoosier...not somebody 23,764 miles to the east of us. :lol:

are those miles calculated using DST? :)

I can't imagine being the ONE person responsible for approving all the caches in the state.

If the state is so big it requires more than one volunteer, then I agree with Doug that the additonal volunteer should be a Hoosier...not somebody 23,764 miles to the east of us. :D

are those miles calculated using DST? :lol:

He would be in GEO-Synchronous orbit if he were straight up. :)