Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Cloud cover was bad so we headed home.

:) For the record, while clouds may affect creature comfort GPS signals are not affected by clouds, rain, fog, snow, etc. The combination of their passing through water vapour and the signal wavelength mean they "pass through" rain.

On the other hand, collected water or wet surfaces will attenuate GPS signals. You can't receive GPS signals underwater and signal reception is degraded in wet forest canopy conditions compared to when the forest canopy is dry.

If there is water or a film of water on the case (or cloth) that covers a GPS receiver's antenna it can block the GPS signals. Drying-off of the GPS case over the antenna will bring the reception back.

Edited by greengecko

Cloud cover was bad so we headed home.

:) For the record, while clouds may affect creature comfort GPS signals are not affected by clouds, rain, fog, snow, etc. The combination of their passing through water vapour and the signal wavelength mean they "pass through" rain.

On the other hand, collected water or wet surfaces will attenuate GPS signals. You can't receive GPS signals underwater and signal reception is degraded in wet forest canopy conditions compared to when the forest canopy is dry.

If there is water or a film of water on the case (or cloth) that covers a GPS receiver's antenna it can block the GPS signals. Drying-off of the GPS case over the antenna will bring the reception back.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH.............

This is the excuse I use when I can't find a cache. If it gets out that clouds don't have any affect then I will just have to try harder!! :):):D

On the other hand, collected water or wet surfaces will attenuate GPS signals.

so what about water (ie rain) in clouds?

Water vapor in clouds is not static as is the water collected on a GPSr or surface of wet leaves in a forest canopy. It begins condensing to form tiny drops of water when the air cools enough to reach a relative humidity of 100% or more. The drops begin falling as rain (or ice crystals as snow) when they grow to a size that makes their terminal velocity faster than the rising air beneath the cloud. The GPS signal wavelength (1.5 GHz) is able to "pass through" the dispersed moving drops of water or ice crystals.

Edited by greengecko

Congratulations Che K on helping LeadDog find 900 caches. :ph34r:

He coulda never done it without you (or Patrick).

Brother Wulf

It has been a formidable job, Wulf, but somebody had to do it! Buddaman should get some credit here too, as he has also spent a lot of time caching with Lead Dog.

Doing the earthcaches has been a more pleasant experience because the motion of the car on the long drives puts the old dog to sleep. That way I don't have to listen constantly to how wonderful the Gators are. It was a long football season for sure, and I still don't understand who the BCS is/are...and what in the heck are style points anyway? Do they award points based on how chic the uniforms are? What does that have to do with how well they play or whether they deserve to be #1? Beats me! Should we give style points for caching? If so, I will certainly have to upgrade my wardrobe!

Congratulations Che K on helping LeadDog find 900 caches. :wub:

He coulda never done it without you (or Patrick).

Brother Wulf

It has been a formidable job, Wulf, but somebody had to do it! Buddaman should get some credit here too, as he has also spent a lot of time caching with Lead Dog.

Doing the earthcaches has been a more pleasant experience because the motion of the car on the long drives puts the old dog to sleep. That way I don't have to listen constantly to how wonderful the Gators are. It was a long football season for sure, and I still don't understand who the BCS is/are...and what in the heck are style points anyway? Do they award points based on how chic the uniforms are? What does that have to do with how well they play or whether they deserve to be #1? Beats me! Should we give style points for caching? If so, I will certainly have to upgrade my wardrobe!

I award Che K ONE MILLION STYLE POINTS for Geocaching in Indiana!! :ph34r:

All cachers we need your 2 cents and specially those involved with the ISQ series. Come and visit indianageocaching.com forums. There is a dicussion on cemetery caches. :wub:

ohhhhh now who's stiring the pot!!! :ph34r:

OK now I know why I received the personal emails. Thanks dougsmiley for standing up for me. No stiring of the pot!!! When I stire the pot you will know. Being a firefighter and working in government for 10 years I have learned a good pot stiring skill. I try to spend more of my forum time in indianageocaching.com. Any issue with my posts find me there. Thanks :D

Okay. I signed up and put in my 2 cents worth.

Sorry for the hurt feelings and slow response. I've had some issues here that have kept me away from the computer.

I have NO pproblem with cemetery caches... just with caches fully on posted limited access private property without permission granted by the property owners. I'm no big fan of lamppost micros but grant that the locations are accessible 24/7 this is NOT the case with the two cemeteries involved.

We return you now to your regularly scheduled discussions about Doug.

Would this be the "Happy Dougie Dance"?

HEY! That's a trademark infringement......maybe.

Hey BlackJeep....you got your Island Wear ready for Wednesday night yet?

Boat Drinks: Something To Keep Us All Warm

Looking forward to seeing you there....should be fun! :blink:

Bret

Oh and by the way....thanks for the great logs on my caches over the weekend...you're too kind! :laughing:

Edited by CYBret

Would this be the "Happy Dougie Dance"?

HEY! That's a trademark infringement......maybe.

Hey BlackJeep....you got your Island Wear ready for Wednesday night yet?

Boat Drinks: Something To Keep Us All Warm

Looking forward to seeing you there....should be fun! :huh:

Bret

Oh and by the way....thanks for the great logs on my caches over the weekend...you're too kind! :laughing:

Sure I’ve got my island wear ready…Kodiak Island! You won’t see me, and won’t want to see me in shorts and sandals. :blink:

Great caches deserve great cache logs. Really liked "How Far Can You Walk Into the Wooods", I'll rank it in the top 5 I've done.

(O|||||||O)

Anyone see this story on WANETV news tonight?

"Fort Wayne - WANE) A bomb scare outside the Apple Glen Wal-Mart turned out to be nothing more than a false alarm. At about 11:15 a.m., police got a call from Pastor Jaime Flores. He told police that as he was leaving Wal-Mart and heading to his truck, another shopper told him someone had stuck something under Flores' back bumper.

When Flores looked underneath, he found a strange package, "I bend on to my knees and I grabbed it. I see a plastic bag with a device, something with wires. He (the shopper) say ya know what, leave it there and call police."

Police arrived and secured the parking lot and took the suspicious package. They also brought out their bomb robot just in case. However the package turned out to be a GPS tracking device. The man who put it there said he was a private detective and had place the GPS on the wrong truck. He was questioned and released."

Anyone see this story on WANETV news tonight?

"Fort Wayne - WANE) A bomb scare outside the Apple Glen Wal-Mart turned out to be nothing more than a false alarm. At about 11:15 a.m., police got a call from Pastor Jaime Flores. He told police that as he was leaving Wal-Mart and heading to his truck, another shopper told him someone had stuck something under Flores' back bumper.

Just a word of caution...you do NOT want to attach a GPS to a pastor's truck and see where he goes! It's just not worth the hassle!

On the other hand if it happened to me (or any one of us) I'd be, "Dude! Free GPS!!" :lol:

Bret

It was a GREAT time Bret! thanks for putting it together and arranging everything. It was first class all the way!

Thanks Clay! It was great to finally get a chance to meet you!

The thanks really goes to Ginger (Gigger). She puts the heart into these events. I couldn't do it without her help. :(

Hope you guys have fun at Ambrosini's next month. Unfortunately I've got a meeting that night and won't be able to be there. <_<

Bret

One more day till the next NEI-GEO MEET AND EAT !!!

Should be a very interesting mix of people this time as it is being held in Michigan !

Who woulda thunk it ! :yikes:<_<

Star

Can't wait to see everyone again...it seems like years since we've seen you all!! And I know it's going to be a CRAZY mix....we're expecting cachers from all over Michigan, Indiana, some from Ohio and at least one from IlliNOISE!! It'll be a GREAT MIDWEST FIESTA!!!

Heather of Wolverine Warriors