Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

You can put GSAK on a cd. When you download it, it is a self-extracting executable file. I keep a copy of the latest version on a thumb drive so that when I get one of my company's laptops, I can load it easily and quickly.

And if you don't have a data cable for you GPSr, get one off Ebay. A buddy of mine got mine for me as a Christmas gift and he got the datable and power combo cable and it only cost about $20, that included shipping.

After that, loading of the caches became a breeze!!

You can put GSAK on a cd. When you download it, it is a self-extracting executable file. I keep a copy of the latest version on a thumb drive so that when I get one of my company's laptops, I can load it easily and quickly.

And if you don't have a data cable for you GPSr, get one off Ebay. A buddy of mine got mine for me as a Christmas gift and he got the datable and power combo cable and it only cost about $20, that included shipping.

I have a question, I down load the web pages into my computer and copy and paste the coords to Delorme Street atlas. Is there anyway to get rid of my laytop and get something smaller thats easy to operate.

Cachemate is $8 and allows you to use a Palm to store your cache information. You can generally find an older model palm that will do the job on ebay for less than $50.

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

Newer Palm models can also support mapping, although I know little about them. The Garmin Ique has a built in GPS and mapping.

Edited by dougsmiley

I have a question, I down load the web pages into my computer and copy and paste the coords to Delorme Street atlas. Is there anyway to get rid of my laytop and get something smaller thats easy to operate.

I have no knowlege of Delorme Street Atlas, but if you're wanting to get rid of your laptop, I'll take it.

I have no knowlege of Delorme Street Atlas, but if you're wanting to get rid of your laptop, I'll take it.

lol, I just don't won't to take it caching anymore.

The maps are the only paper I use now. I'll download the caches in Cachemate. Then send them to my GPSr (Garmin Etrex Legend), send them to my PDA with Cachemate installed (I use a Palm m105) and then I export them to Microsoft Streets and Trips. From there I'll print off a couple of maps of the area with several caches in the area and I'm on my way. I use the maps to drive to the area and the GPS to guide me in with the description, hints, and previous logs all in my Palm. This system works great for me.

Now when I travel for work, I don't bother with the printoffs because I will have Streets and Trips loaded on my company laptop. Since I have the GPSr and the data cable, I get real time data as I go caching. Works great!

The maps are the only paper I use now. I'll download the caches in Cachemate. Then send them to my GPSr (Garmin Etrex Legend), send them to my PDA with Cachemate installed (I use a Palm m105) and then I export them to Microsoft Streets and Trips. From there I'll print off a couple of maps of the area with several caches in the area and I'm on my way. I use the maps to drive to the area and the GPS to guide me in with the description, hints, and previous logs all in my Palm. This system works great for me.

Now when I travel for work, I don't bother with the printoffs because I will have Streets and Trips loaded on my company laptop. Since I have the GPSr and the data cable, I get real time data as I go caching. Works great!

Thanks I need to research somethings for I dont make a 300$ mistake. Thanks for the input.

Thanks I need to research somethings for I dont make a 300$ mistake. Thanks for the input.

I run GSAK and cachemate, and I use an older Palm Vx. Everything works GREAT! Its nice to not have paper at all. Cachemate also lets you record your finds, drops, trades, TBs, etc, then go back to those caches later to help you log them. I have 1500 caches in mine with LOTS more room. Great thing is this was a free PDA my dad didn't use! :laughing:

clay

I run GSAK and cachemate, and I use an older Palm Vx. Everything works GREAT! Its nice to not have paper at all. Cachemate also lets you record your finds, drops, trades, TBs, etc, then go back to those caches later to help you log them. I have 1500 caches in mine with LOTS more room. Great thing is this was a free PDA my dad didn't use! :laughing:

clay

I use a garmin C60 with palm Z22 with cachmate.(also have yellow etrex with a m100 for back up)

I use easy gps to put the pq's on the gps

also I heard the pda/phone/gps combos have trouble getting a gps singal and the best acc is like 30 ft

is that true??

Edited by Buddaman

Hello all fellow Indiana cachers!

ok, sorry to change the topic, but i really need some assistance. i'm sure most of you realize that i'm sort of new to all of this, especially posting in the forums, however, as i said i need help. I recently picked up a United for Diabetes TB from Starkey's Revenge in Zionsville In. (wich is a great place by the way).

the thing is, the bug is spose to go to germany. so....i was wondering if anyone knew if there is a TB hotel or a good TB cache near Indianapolis Internat. Airport. we live downtown indy, so that is the best i figure i could do for this little guy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s.-before the obvious is stated - "why don't you just go and search for one?" - i already have, and i'm coming up bumpkins. that's why i figured i'd post. thanks again!

top con

Half the fun of a TB is the journey it takes. There's nothing in the rules that says that bug HAS to go to Germany today. Why not just move as far as you like and someone else can move it a bit and one day it'll get to Germany with a great story of it's travels.

Wulf

Hello all fellow Indiana cachers!

ok, sorry to change the topic, but i really need some assistance. i'm sure most of you realize that i'm sort of new to all of this, especially posting in the forums, however, as i said i need help. I recently picked up a United for Diabetes TB from Starkey's Revenge in Zionsville In. (wich is a great place by the way).

the thing is, the bug is spose to go to germany. so....i was wondering if anyone knew if there is a TB hotel or a good TB cache near Indianapolis Internat. Airport. we live downtown indy, so that is the best i figure i could do for this little guy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s.-before the obvious is stated - "why don't you just go and search for one?" - i already have, and i'm coming up bumpkins. that's why i figured i'd post. thanks again!

top con

Half the fun of a TB is the journey it takes. There's nothing in the rules that says that bug HAS to go to Germany today. Why not just move as far as you like and someone else can move it a bit and one day it'll get to Germany with a great story of it's travels.

Wulf

That is very true. My first and only TB make a quick hop to Wiscinsin, was picked up promptly and hasn't been released YET, however the first White Jeep I found has had a very active life, travelling out and around Colorado and then making a huge leap to Hawaii where it is still active. I get as much fun out of watching it travel as I would my own, if it would start moving again.

Darn Wisconsin cacher :laughing:

All cachers we need your 2 cents and specially those involved with the ISQ series. Come and visit indianageocaching.com forums. There is a dicussion on cemetery caches. <_<

ohhhhh now who's stiring the pot!!! :laughing:

OK now I know why I received the personal emails. Thanks dougsmiley for standing up for me. No stiring of the pot!!! When I stire the pot you will know. Being a firefighter and working in government for 10 years I have learned a good pot stiring skill. I try to spend more of my forum time in indianageocaching.com. Any issue with my posts find me there. Thanks :unsure:

sorry guys, my post was made in jest.. just trying to add a little humor, but that stupid 'winkey' smiley on here doesnt look like a happy smiley! <_< <----- see.... thats one unhappy winkey there! hehehe :unsure:

oh, and why not, lets throw out a :D while Im at it!!

:laughing:

Edited by ClayC

sorry guys, my post was made in jest.. just trying to add a little humor, but that stupid 'winkey' smiley on here doesnt look like a happy smiley! <_< <----- see.... thats one unhappy winkey there! hehehe B)

oh, and why not, lets throw out a :unsure: while Im at it!!

Nothing against the post. I received a couple of emails, they were thinking I was stirring the pot. It was all good and taken care of. :drama::D:DB):D

sorry guys, my post was made in jest.. just trying to add a little humor, but that stupid 'winkey' smiley on here doesnt look like a happy smiley! <_< <----- see.... thats one unhappy winkey there! hehehe B)

oh, and why not, lets throw out a :unsure: while Im at it!!

Nothing against the post. I received a couple of emails, they were thinking I was stirring the pot. It was all good and taken care of. :drama::D:DB):D

I don't think the colts will make it to the superbowl

If they do it will be a mircle. Good to see thebigbird and crew in the Anderson area logging some caches. Weather could have been better. :laughing:

Would like to make a return trip to anderson/pendleton area still a lot of good caches in the are about 70+ I could get. Cloud cover was bad so we headed home. I did experience some really nice micro hides.