Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

The last several posts in this conversation have strayed quite far from being an "Indiana Cachers Hello" thread.

Perhaps it would be best if you either took this discussion over here or took it directly to the ACRES people, because from everything I can tell, the real decision makers from ACRES aren't reading this.

At any rate, either get this back on its normally light and friendly topic or I'll be forced to put on my big fuzzy moderator hat....again.

It looks like this:

Brick400.jpg

Trust me....you don't want that.

Bret

Cybret .....

I brought this discussion to this thread ( a thread started by myself ) "a place for Indiana Geocachers to say hello and chat "

It was my beleif that this was the place to have the discussion ... NOT on the general forums .

I have gotta agree with TTI on this. As a matter of fact, I am surprised that the general forum mod did not move it back over here.

Ya know, you sorta look like Doobies in that picture. Now that IS frightening! :)

I see from my owner logs that you were out caching in my general area on Monday. Hope it went well for ya. Looking forward to WingsNThings (and Boat Drinks?) III.

Edited by Rupert2

Cybret .....

I brought this discussion to this thread ( a thread started by myself ) "a place for Indiana Geocachers to say hello and chat "

It was my beleif that this was the place to have the discussion ... NOT on the general forums .

I can't agree with you more, dear Star. But Cybret is the Moderator and it is his right to dictate what we chat about and where. I'm sure he has a very good reason for editing anad shutting down this discussion, one that he doesn't have to share with us. It is his responsibility to act in a manner that is in the best interest of geocaching and geocachers, and I'm quite sure that is what he is doing here. We don't have the luxury of seeing the big picture...

And, should we want to get technical, this thread is about where Lead Dog is GEOCACHING in INDIANA.

So I'm off to get an FTF, if I can , in Makin, Indiana. :)

Wow, this has been a busy place lately! I haven't been to The Acres as it's a bit out of my local caching area (still working on ones close to home!) so I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject. Like many others, I don't agree with their new policy and as a result, I probably won't ever have the opportunity to visit the place -- which is a shame because geocaching has brought me to so many places I never would have discovered on my own.

I'd like to share two Indiana caches in what I thought were cool places I never knew about: One was the Wy-Tri Cache (GC8471) near North Webster (and close to Team Tigger territory, I think!). I never ever knew there was state game lands here and thoroughly enjoyed discovering something new. I hope to return to find other caches there.

Another one was Scout's Honor (GC9FC4) near Mishawaka. For nearly a year and half I drove to work and passed a sign for "The Res" posted on a dead end lane. I wondered about it once in a while but never investigated it. Then the search for this cache led me to The Res. Nestled between railroad tracks and busy roads, here's a mini nature preserve with great walking trails. Again, I never knew the area existed.

So while The Acres is essentially off-limits, let's hear about the cool areas you discovered elsewhere in Indiana!

And happy Labor Day weekend to everyone -- the reluctant hubby, Zoe-dog, and I are heading off to Pennsylvania tonight. The hubby is not a geocaching zealot so I have to limit the activity but we do plan to find at least a couple in Pennsylvania. Caching in Pennsylvania is amazingly a lot like "geocaching in Indiana!" :)

At any rate, either get this back on its normally light and friendly topic or I'll be forced to put on my big fuzzy moderator hat....again.

2,800 replies and 44,000 views this thread will never be shut down...... What is the topic here anyway? After reading the 56 pages of posts, I'm not real sure.

2,800 replies and 44,000 views this thread will never be shut down...... What is the topic here anyway? After reading the 56 pages of posts, I'm not real sure.

Here's the original post by Team Tigger:

"So Lead Dog , when ya gonna get busy and Find some more caches if you are out of Ideas to place them ?

PS , Started this Thread so as not to annoy BigMike . Sorry BigMike. "

The reason this thread was started was that the old Hello Indiana Cachers topic was started by Big Mike and he wanted every post to be limited to "Hello, my name is Guineapiggang and I'm from Bolivia" or words to that effect, even tho he himself went off that formula when it suited him. :)

So TTI started this thread so we could be free to discuss any INDIANA GEOCACHING related topics we wanted, with no restrictions by the OP, (THAT IS THE TOPIC) with the first post about when I was going geocaching. While the thread is usually "light and friendly" there have been some serious discussions, such as the one that has been going on recently. :D

Judged by views and replies, TTI has created one of the more popular and fun topics in the Geographical Forums. It would be a shame if someone shut it down, wouldn't it? :D

I LIKE TO GEOCACHE IN INDIANA! :D

SixDog: Thanks for the link to the Ft. Wayne bulletin board in regards to the ACRES rules on geocaching. Two posts on it caught my eye. The first is from "The Herd" who is an ACRES board member:

I went out and pulled the sign in sheets for [a particular ACRES land preserve] ...out of 43 sheets, dating back to 10-22-05, only 2 were signed by "geocachers." .... I have never, in the 13 months we've been caching ACRES preserves, seen another cachers sig. in a registration box. Yes, they may have used their real name, but if that is the case, they didn't put that they were there for "geocaching."

The second is from "sandVB" who wrote:

... We USUALLY sign the log book, but I have never put geocaching down as my reason for being there, so that may be why your book doesn't have any [signature of my personal name]. I was unsure if the ACRES people knew about the caches, so I just kept quiet and said we were there for hiking. ...

Personally I act like "sandVB"; i.e., often sign the log book but then do not put down that I am at a preserve for Geocaching. In retrospect this is not a good idea If we want our voice to be heard then we should start speaking up. Not only at DNR or land trust board meetings but also "on the trail." It is our very anonominity that will doom us to be marginalized. From now on when I am at a preserve with a log book I will sign it "here for Geocaching" or, if the preserve does not have any cache in it, "would be here more often if there were Geocaches."

I respectfully ask that the rest of Indiana Geocachers do the same.

[P.S. to CyBret. I did read your post about moderation but given the wide range of posts that this thread has had, I believe that talking about an issue relevant to Indiana Geocaching is appropriate in this thread. I agree that the ACRES people are not reading the thread and that talking about the topic here will not directly influence ACRES, however I also believe that we can influence ourselves via chatting and talking with other Indiana geocachers. If you disagree then PM me and I will delete this post.]

Edited by RPW

I have gotta agree with TTI on this. As a matter of fact, I am surprised that the general forum mod did not move it back over here.

Ya know, you sorta look like Doobies in that picture. Now that IS frightening! :)

I see from my owner logs that you were out caching in my general area on Monday. Hope it went well for ya. Looking forward to WingsNThings (and Boat Drinks?) III.

In regard to the thread in the main forum, I think the input from cachers around the country has been helpful there. There are other areas where they've had to deal with similar situations and people from those regions might have something good to say.

Yeah, Rupert, I've seen a lot of Indy and the surrounding areas in the last few weeks. I think I've made four trips to either pick people up or drop them off at the airport and we've managed to work caching into all of them. We had a blast hitting a couple of your ISQ's last Wednesday and I managed to pick one up today too, but haven't had a chance to log it.

As for Wings n' Things 3...I'm looking forward to putting something like that together. I'd love to host it over at the new Cheeseburger in Paradise, but they don't have a meeting room, so I'm not sure how well that would go over. They've been open for a couple months now and are still crazy busy.

Bret

SixDog: Thanks for the link to the Ft. Wayne bulletin board in regards to the ACRES rules on geocaching. Two posts on it caught my eye. The first is from "The Herd" who is an ACRES board member:

I went out and pulled the sign in sheets for [a particular ACRES land preserve] ...out of 43 sheets, dating back to 10-22-05, only 2 were signed by "geocachers." .... I have never, in the 13 months we've been caching ACRES preserves, seen another cachers sig. in a registration box. Yes, they may have used their real name, but if that is the case, they didn't put that they were there for "geocaching."

The second is from "sandVB" who wrote:

... We USUALLY sign the log book, but I have never put geocaching down as my reason for being there, so that may be why your book doesn't have any [signature of my personal name]. I was unsure if the ACRES people knew about the caches, so I just kept quiet and said we were there for hiking. ...

Personally I act like "sandVB"; i.e., often sign the log book but then do not put down that I am at a preserve for Geocaching. In retrospect this is not a good idea If we want our voice to be heard then we should start speaking up. Not only at DNR or land trust board meetings but also "on the trail." It is our very anonominity that will doom us to be marginalized. From now on when I am at a preserve with a log book I will sign it "here for Geocaching" or, if the preserve does not have any cache in it, "would be here more often if there were Geocaches."

I respectfully ask that the rest of Indiana Geocachers do the same.

RPW,

I am replying to your post in the other ACRES thread on this forum site.

Amber

Perhaps not in the midwest, but be on the lookout anyway :laughing:

The Florida Department of Fish and Wildlife is advising hikers, hunters,fishermen, golfers and tourists in general to take extra precautions and keep alert for alligators while in outdoors.

They advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their shoes or clothing to alert but not startle the alligators unexpectedly. They also advise the carrying of pepper spray in case of an encounter with an alligator.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of alligator activity.

People should learn to recognize the difference between small young alligator and large adult alligator droppings.

Young alligator droppings are smaller and contain fish bones and possibly bird feathers. Adult alligator droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

Top Ten signs that you are GEOCACHING IN INDIANA:

10. You're thrilled whenever you find one that Deermark hasn't found.

9. There are 5 styrofoam cups from 5 different gas stations in your car and your water bottle is still sealed.

8. You find yourself correcting the spelling for the Kentuckians.

7. The county road you thought you were on that would take you to the highway you needed to be on just ended at the railroad tracks that used to be there but aren't any more.

6. You make a game of naming the groundhogs.

5. Tony Stewart memorabilia out the wazoo.

4. The Tupperware still smells of Aunt Clara's apple salad.

3. There's an opened moist towlette package with "Hardly used" written on the package.

2. You've learned which Speedways have the nasty hot dogs.

1. You navigate by using Steak'n'Shakes and abandoned Burger Chefs as landmarks.

The last log on one of my ACRES caches and its a dooozey !

:ph34r::huh::o

Thank you MR I , for the laugh and finding our cache . We missed meeting up with you by just about an hour.

As that was when we were retreiving that cache !

see log entry :

Mr I's Log for Let's Get up and Bounce !

;) MR I what a day B) For TTI the preserve organization should use your logs to keep track of who has been at the over funded properties. :laughing: I just want to know since the preserves are associated with the DNR, how much of my tax money they get? :angry:

Maybe somebody should start a bookmark list of these - now, before it gets too big. [:huh:]

Good Idea. Any takers? :angry:

Working on it. I haven't done book marks before so maybe someone can e-mail me who has to give me a quick review if there is no fact sheet on it.

If you have not started it yet email me I will get you through it. :ph34r:

Why, ... um....

Hello, Indiana Cachers!

How the heck are ya?

Torry are you going to the Fall Picnic? :P

Regards

ID

Don't I wish. Gotta work Saturday & Sunday. The only way I could make the trip would be to hitch a ride down and back after work. Plus, the 3-Hour is this weekend. I don't have a paying job there yet but you never know.

In regards to Mr I's Log for the ACRES' Let's Get up and Bounce ! cache ...

... For TTI the preserve organization should use your logs to keep track of who has been at the over funded properties. ...

Actually let's hope that they are not reading that particular cache page. While funny, "Mr I" did several things that any nature preserve would shudder at. Namly leaving the trail ("... I left the path and walked across a semi-marshy area to get to the cache...") which led to habitat destruction ("... with the next step, I sunk deeply into the swamp ... both boots were stuck fast ... I decided to leave my boots ...") which led to violating neighboring property rights ("... I walked down the small path between the corn field and the fence and followed it to a farm house ...")

Now I will be the first to argue that the marsh will recover quite nicely, that the marsh critters will love the new boots and that the footprints of "Mr I" will be rapidly erased. Also walking down the edge of a corn field, while technically trespassing, is hardly the worst sin in the world. However the log did indicate several violations of ACRES' (and other nature preserve's) policy and thus it is unfortunately not a shining example to hold up high and say, "yes Geocachers were here!"

Now most of the other logs for that cache are nice examples of bringing geocachers to the preserve -- especially those with kids. SixDog's log is, well, sarcastic but what else would one expect? :)

I am busy working and hiding caches. The writeup is time consuming.

Those of you who have hunted around Potawatomi Wildlfie Park will find that all are being archived and I have 11 going online soon hopefully. I have 6 yet to write up. Plan is to have all published at once.

Should make for a day at the park.