Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

CONGRATULATIONS TO BLUEGILLFISHERMAN ON HIS 1,000TH AT ISQ #500; AND CHE K FOR HER 800TH; AND LEAD DOG FOR HIS 735TH!!! :D

WOOO HOOOOO !!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL FROM US TIGGERS !!

Won't be long LeadDog and you just might catch up with Che K .... :ph34r::ph34r:

Is it gonna be a race between the two of you for your respective 1000 th's ?

Nawwww...... Che K will most likely beat you to it ! ;):P:)

Star

It's all about the numbers and icons, but we can't keep up with that little vixen. She got in six months what it took Patrick and me three years to get. But we've got more quality finds. She's got all those lame micros in cemeteries...hundreds of them, that we will never, ever claim a smiley on.

We like the hike in a woods caches, even tho these noob urban cachers don't want to get their little footsies muddy by stepping off the concrete... :laughing: But, to each his own!! :huh:

Have a nice day! GEOCACHING in INDIANA, USA! :anibad:

CONGRATULATIONS TO BLUEGILLFISHERMAN ON HIS 1,000TH AT ISQ #500; AND CHE K FOR HER 800TH; AND LEAD DOG FOR HIS 735TH!!! :laughing:

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

I was up in Ft. Wayne on Thursday and did take out some time to some geocaching. Too bad a had run my PQ the night before or I would have noticed #500.

Congratulations to BGF and CHE K on their landmark finds!

BTW: Since #500 was related to decendants of the Mayflower, I thought I would throw out that there is a LIVING Mayflower decendant on one of the ISQ hiding teams. Ooooh!

Edited by Rupert2

CONGRATULATIONS TO BLUEGILLFISHERMAN ON HIS 1,000TH AT ISQ #500; AND CHE K FOR HER 800TH; AND LEAD DOG FOR HIS 735TH!!! :laughing:

BTW: Since #500 was related to decendants of the Mayflower, I thought I would throw out that there is a LIVING Mayflower decendant on one of the ISQ hiding teams. Ooooh!

... What did you do with the dead ones?

Why do you think I got started geocaching? :lol:

Why do you think I got started geocaching? :lol:

For the same reason EVERY SINGLE OTHER INDIANA GEOCACHER did: The smilies and the icons. :D

I am getting ready for three days of caching in the Nashville/Bloomington area. My wife has a seminar in Nashville from Wed-Fri. I am going with her and plan to cache during the day while she is at the seminar.

I ran PQs for Bloomington, Nashville, and Bedford (in case I end up there) and came up with about 750 caches. Then I filtered out everything that hadn't been found yet in 2006, had 2-3 DNFs out of the last 4 logs, etc. That left me with a list of about 680 caches which I have loaded on my garmin i2, my Garmin Legend, and my Palm.

Hopefully, I can get quite a few while I am there!

I am getting ready for three days of caching in the Nashville/Bloomington area. My wife has a seminar in Nashville from Wed-Fri. I am going with her and plan to cache during the day while she is at the seminar.

I ran PQs for Bloomington, Nashville, and Bedford (in case I end up there) and came up with about 750 caches. Then I filtered out everything that hadn't been found yet in 2006, had 2-3 DNFs out of the last 4 logs, etc. That left me with a list of about 680 caches which I have loaded on my garmin i2, my Garmin Legend, and my Palm.

You might not want to grab all of the ones around Brown County State Park if your going to the Event there next month.

You might not want to grab all of the ones around Brown County State Park if your going to the Event there next month.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe I'll concentrate on Bloomington this week.

Just for everyones F.Y.I. Here in Madison County, Chesterfield Police Department responded to a unknown device. After a bomb Technician from Delaware County Sheriff's Department got on the scene and recognized it as a cache. He stated they have been on several in Delaware County. I know this cache and owner. It was replaced by someone else that offered to replace it. I could be misunderstood. I have talked and offered to do some education on geocaching to local first responders. This was low key and did not make the paper. It was also in a cemetary by the airport. :rolleyes::laughing:

Just for everyones F.Y.I. Here in Madison County, Chesterfield Police Department responded to a unknown device. After a bomb Technician from Delaware County Sheriff's Department got on the scene and recognized it as a cache. He stated they have been on several in Delaware County. I know this cache and owner. It was replaced by someone else that offered to replace it. I could be misunderstood. I have talked and offered to do some education on geocaching to local first responders. This was low key and did not make the paper. It was also in a cemetary by the airport. :rolleyes::ph34r:

Things appear to be getting a little out of hand in this area lately.

While the focus of my professional life is in the environmental field , I do just enough work with "homeland security issues" to be familar with the landscape. Geocaches in cemeteries is not exactly what law enforcement officials would be looking for right now, so why all the parinoia? Pretty soon you poor guys are going to be called out for empty coke cans that someone thinks is a bomb. It is sad to see so many problems lately. :laughing:

Just for everyones F.Y.I. Here in Madison County, Chesterfield Police Department responded to a unknown device. After a bomb Technician from Delaware County Sheriff's Department got on the scene and recognized it as a cache. He stated they have been on several in Delaware County. I know this cache and owner. It was replaced by someone else that offered to replace it. I could be misunderstood. I have talked and offered to do some education on geocaching to local first responders. This was low key and did not make the paper. It was also in a cemetary by the airport. :rolleyes::ph34r:

While the focus of my professional life is in the environmental field , I do just enough work with "homeland security issues" to be familar with the landscape. Geocaches in cemeteries is not exactly what law enforcement officials would be looking for right now, so why all the parinoia? Pretty soon you poor guys are going to be called out for empty coke cans that someone thinks is a bomb. It is sad to see so many problems lately. :laughing:

This story started with a local person that mows the cemetery. He seen the container, the container was replaced last year with the current one. There has even been a fence placed by it by the airport. He calls sheriff's department and they call Chesterfield Police Department. They call a bomb Technician from Deleware County, he comes over and recognizes it as a cache. The bystander made it a big deal. Low key and short scene time. More time for the bomb Tech to get there. Being that close to the airport might be a concern.

We like the hike in a woods caches, even tho these noob urban cachers don't want to get their little footsies muddy by stepping off the concrete... :blink: But, to each his own!! :blink:

Sure glad I don't fit that category!!! You can't tell in this picture, but I sunk in up to my knees in mud. Had to literally dig with my hands to get my feet out! Stupid horse trails.... :blink:

MudMantriestofindBeaversPoint.jpg

"Scatalogical researcher Billy Rubin poses with what may be the largest single poo ever fund in the wild."

Don't think I wasn't concerned about that! I'm sure I was digging in more than just mud. I love horses, but man do they ever tear up the trails!

Torry, I'm surprised you didn't make any mention of that mud hole looking like a pig wallow. :blink: If you want the coordinates, I'll see what I can do. LOL!

Just for everyones F.Y.I. Here in Madison County, Chesterfield Police Department responded to a unknown device. After a bomb Technician from Delaware County Sheriff's Department got on the scene and recognized it as a cache. He stated they have been on several in Delaware County. I know this cache and owner. It was replaced by someone else that offered to replace it. I could be misunderstood. I have talked and offered to do some education on geocaching to local first responders. This was low key and did not make the paper. It was also in a cemetary by the airport. :D:)

While the focus of my professional life is in the environmental field , I do just enough work with "homeland security issues" to be familar with the landscape. Geocaches in cemeteries is not exactly what law enforcement officials would be looking for right now, so why all the parinoia? Pretty soon you poor guys are going to be called out for empty coke cans that someone thinks is a bomb. It is sad to see so many problems lately. :huh:

This story started with a local person that mows the cemetery. He seen the container, the container was replaced last year with the current one. There has even been a fence placed by it by the airport. He calls sheriff's department and they call Chesterfield Police Department. They call a bomb Technician from Deleware County, he comes over and recognizes it as a cache. The bystander made it a big deal. Low key and short scene time. More time for the bomb Tech to get there. Being that close to the airport might be a concern.

I am glad that the Delaware Bomb Squad seems to be much better educated in geocaching now. I have done this cache before and it was a nice little hidden cemetery. It has been there 4 and half years and it is causing a problem NOW?

How far does the Delaware Bomb Squad cover? I remember them responding to calls in Indy.

I am relieved this was handled quietly. Good thing it wasn't in Blackford county :blink:

Good thing it wasn't in Blackford county :blink:

AMEN!

barney.JPG

On the serious side there was another geocache incident (bomb scare) in a neighboring county recently. While that one did make the paper, we were fortunate that there were emergency management personnel who themselves were geocachers that quickly recognized the situation and avoided making this a big (and expensive) production.

Edited by Rupert2

Well Folks , this is apparently a somewhat sad day for GEOCACHING in INDIANA ... seems that

the ACRES Preserves people have a policy and are now enforcing it .

Standard e-mails have been sent out to anyone that has caches in these preserves. They can remain there with permits that require fees and memberships.

Unfortunatly I know that some of the cachers I know that have caches placed in these preserves cannot afford such a cost and well the caches will be lost. Plus you are going to be limited to 2 permits .

And people wonder why we are resolved to hiding micros .... For some reason it seems this is becoming more and more about money .....

I suspect that one of our own is behind some of this ... as per the e-mail address (return ) that came with some of the e-mails that were sent out .

Team Tigger will comply the best we can but will probably lose a couple of there INDIANA caches as well .

Such a sad day ...

This was the mail we got .. insert cachers or other cache names where needed but apparently this is what everyone is getting.

Standard e-mail :

Dear Team Tigger International,

Upon review, your cache, "Rockin Robin Revived(GCK2FM)" is located on an ACRES Land Trust property. According to the ACRES Land Trust Geocaching Policy and IDNR Geocache Policy (regarding Dedicated Nature Preserves), geocaches are prohibited on that preserve without a permit. ACRES Land Trust will allow the cache on this property if you download or visit the ACRES Office and submit a Geocaching Permit and appropriate permitting fees in the next 30 days. This permit will be good for a period of two years. Beyond that period, your geocache will need to be archived and you will need to remove it. The permit and policy can be found at:

http://www.acreslandtrust.org/archive-geoc...0and%20form.pdf.

Should you decide to permit it, administrative procedure will require you to send 2 (two) separate checks (one made out to ACRES Land Trust for the membership and the second $10 administrative geocache fee to Tennyson Jelinek) when you are sending your permit application to the ACRES Office. If you have other caches located on ACRES properties you may receive other emails.

We hope you understand the need to maintain the balance of recreation and natural resource preservation in these great nature preserves. Should you have any questions regarding the geocache in question or the ACRES Geocache Policy, feel free to email ACRES through the geocaching.com profile link, or call or visit the ACRES office at 1802 Chapman Rd, Huntertown, IN 46748. (260)-637-ACRE (2273)

Thank you,

ACRES Land Trust

www.acreslandtrust.org

Hello from Indiana. Lets geocache.

Hey Earleheart°!

I just took my two youngest kids out and found your "For Quacks Only!" cache. I must admit that I would have never dreamed of turing that into a cache container :laughing:. We loved it!

I also just replaced ISQ: Caching in Stile. It is ready to be found.

Welcome to the forums.

Edited by Rupert2

administrative procedure will require you to send 2 (two) separate checks (one made out to ACRES Land Trust for the membership and the second $10 administrative geocache fee to Tennyson Jelinek) when you are sending your permit application to the ACRES Office.

Removed by moderator :P

Edited by CYBret

administrative procedure will require you to send 2 (two) separate checks (one made out to ACRES Land Trust for the membership and the second $10 administrative geocache fee to Tennyson Jelinek) when you are sending your permit application to the ACRES Office.

Original quote removed by moderator :P

Is this the first pay-to-cache policy implemented to GEOCACHE in INDIANA? :)

bgf

Edited by CYBret

Hey Earleheart°!

I just took my two youngest kids out and found your "For Quacks Only!" cache. I must admit that I would have never dreamed of turing that into a cache container :P. We loved it!

Welcome to the forums.

I'm glad you licked it.

Hey Earleheart°!

I just took my two youngest kids out and found your "For Quacks Only!" cache. I must admit that I would have never dreamed of turing that into a cache container :lol:. We loved it!

Welcome to the forums.

I'm glad you licked it.

Licked it?

I don't know if this is the first case of "pay to cache" or not, but i suggest we all boycott anyplace that enforces this sort of thing. Otherwise it will soon get out of hand. Other kinds of parks will "catch on" and start charging too.

I highly agree. It's a shame you don't have to pay a fee to hike, but to cache you do. There's plenty of other places out there to cache.

Original quote removed by moderator :anicute:

Is this the first pay-to-cache policy implemented to GEOCACHE in INDIANA? :P

bgf

All I know is they are asking to much from the geocaching community , and I for one am not willing

to pay such a high price for the privilage of placing a cache in these wonderful areas. Its just a shame as

GeoCaches brought so many people that would not have known about them at all . Most likely (and I know this is a fact) it also brought them people that were at one time willing to become members ( and they are now ready to cancel the memberships) . I really think its awful to be expected to pay to cache in areas where donations and taxes pay for the upkeep.

Star

When ACRES first asked us what we thought of caching in their preserves, I sent them links to several caches so they could see just how many people it brought in that would not have gone otherwise. I also sent them links to my cache everytime someone logged it, and told them about how many geocachers signed the registration box here. Everytime we cached at another ACRES property, we ALWAYS signed the registration form putting who we were, and why we were there. Unfortunatly, not many cachers did this. I don't know why they didn't take into notice how much good caching has done for their preserves. Maybe they did, and that is why they want the money. Maybe cachers said too many good things about it...and it backfired.

I don't know why they didn't take into notice how much good caching has done for their preserves. Maybe they did, and that is why they want the money. Maybe cachers said too many good things about it...and it backfired.

You would think that geocachers would be a rich source of new members for an organization like a public land trust. I am stunned at how they would alienate one of their best sources to recruit new members and volunteers. Again it is very sad / disappointing that it has come to this. B)

Should you decide to permit it, administrative procedure will require you to send 2 (two) separate checks (one made out to ACRES Land Trust for the membership and the second $10 administrative geocache fee to Tennyson Jelinek) when you are sending your permit application to the ACRES Office.

Sorry, I would sooner crawl naked through stinging nettle bog on my hands and knees. B)

one made out to ACRES Land Trust for the membership and the second $10 administrative geocache fee to Tennyson Jelinek

:huh::(B) Is this money not going to ACRES? This sounds suspicious for a public land trust to be handling money in such an unorthodox manner. If I were contemplating paying to place my cache, I would check this out with the Indiana Attorney General's Office first, just as a precaution.:ph34r:

To the other extreme, this also illustrates that it behooves us (geocachers) to really show our support to land managers and organizations who support the sport of geocaching either through volunteering or holding more CITO events B) . We offer way too few of those as it is.

Well we can go to walmart ask them for there used 35mm cans and place about 200 of them on a ACRES property within the 528 rule and this TENNYSON would have to go and remove all of them.

Not really just joking around! but things like this want to make me do stupid things Just like ACRES done!

I don't know much about this subject except for reading this string. I am in the works now of getting nearly 10 caches to place(which will be our first ones) and I will not now or ever pay to place a cache. As well, I am pretty much in support of the boycott method and word of mouth for others that have no involvment in geocaching to boycott these areas as well. I apologize if anything I have said is in ignorance, but this clearly seems wrong to me!!! :ph34r:

It seems to me, Tennyson Jelinek has convinced ACRES to let him review caches on thier properties for $10 each. This is like a Groundspeak reviewer charging you to look over your cache!

That might be jumping to conclusions, but if it is true you will probably really hear of some folks get their shorts in a wad. Getting paid to geocache on behalf of a Public Land Trust? That would thoroughly disgust me :ph34r: . Those type of organizations are built on volunteers. If you need someone to volunteer to geocache then move on over. There are some great ones up in NE Indiana :huh:

Boycott! Boycott! Boycott!

They will not care about that. Some of those organizations prefer it that way. IMHO *** ****** *********** (self censored - insert name of tree-hugging, big, so-called "environmental group here) tends to be one outfits that will write the articles of dedication such that most of the "acceptable public uses" of the property are so greatly restricted that you need not bother showing up (don't get me started on this topic). This outfit (ACRES) appears to be more progressive than that. This is a good thing. B)

but you should not that "one of our own " is listed there .

Cool! :( I did not note any Tiggers, SixDogs, Elwoods, Bluegillfishermans, Paws, Shadows or Buddah's on the list, but whoever it is, take advantage of it. They should know first hand that while geocaching is not perfect, the property should experience a net benefit by havinng geocachers around. With that kind of internal support I would hope it would not be that difficult to sell some sort of volunteer based system that does not require fees and is administered by one of our own with some help from the Indiana reviewer. It always helps to have someone on the inside who understands the sport so we don't get thrown into the same group as mountainbikers and ATV riders.

Of course if they do choose to make a more reasonable approach to this, then everyone should be more happy to support ACRES.

Torry,

We need some of you world class humor here. Please.............

OK, who invited the pig?

smilingpig.jpg

Edited by Rupert2