Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Hello... llo...lo.... Anyone there....ere.....re......

Man this place is so empty it echoes!

Everyone must be at the GeoBash... Can't wait till Friday when I can shoot over here!

Nope, I am still here. Not going to be able to cache at all this weekend. <_< Too many other plans.

GREETINGS FROM MIDWEST GEOBASH!!

COME VISIT THE LORDS AND ME AT AREA 51. OUR CAMPFIRE GOES 24/7--WE AARE HOSTS FOR THE ALCOHOLIC CAMPERS AND REVELERS. ALL THE WAY IN THE BAAAACK OF THE VENUE. THIS KEYBOE KEYBOARD IS SENSATIVE. SEE YOU THERE. BRING BEER AND WHIC SHISKEY. --lEAD dOG

GREETINGS FROM MIDWEST GEOBASH!!

COME VISIT THE LORDS AND ME AT AREA 51. OUR CAMPFIRE GOES 24/7--WE AARE HOSTS FOR THE ALCOHOLIC CAMPERS AND REVELERS. ALL THE WAY IN THE BAAAACK OF THE VENUE. THIS KEYBOE KEYBOARD IS SENSATIVE. SEE YOU THERE. BRING BEER AND WHIC SHISKEY. --lEAD dOG

After a brief caching expedition across the US border to Winsdor, we finally make it to the Geobash. That is one heck of a campfire that SixDogTeam and the Lords have going (six seperate fire pits). Your reputation must proceed you since they stuck you back in the nether-regions of the park. Great to see the two Lords, TTI and 501 Gang at the campfire. Also ran into Shydog and Wolverine Warriors elsewhere. We are really looking forward to all of the activities tomorrow.

Just got home from MWGB in Michigan. Met Torry and a liot of other world- famous Cachers. Met Torry's sister, also. UH, no comment. REALLY enjoyed the HOG ROAST Friday nite!

Lords Elwood and Padishar have the perfect personalities to make the final nite of the Bash Beer Campfire a rousing sucess--it didn't end until about 4:30 a.m. this morning. Our tents didn't burn down, we had live bluegrass music and it was "Would you like a peanut?" nite. Can't get better than that. Well, it can, but it was good. WE burned hundreds of trees and drank dozens of cases of beer and bottles of whiskey. Estinmatead 70 folks at the final campfire. Friday nites fire featured photos taken with CCCooper Agency and three Groundspeak people from Washington with "Lacky" printed on the back of thier uniform shirts...

WE GOT 2006 JEEP TRAVELBUGS! :laughing:

The 2006 Midwest Geobash. I guess the best place to start is at the beginning.

Myself, Lord Padishar and SixDogTeam arrived at the Fairgrounds around 8:30PM on Wednesday evening. We only made one wrong turn, so we made it in good time. Got camp set up and got the first of MANY fires going. Things were calm that first night as there was a Hawaiian Luau going on in the Pavilion area. So at about 1AM when it was only myself and Padishar (Lead Dog called it a night a long time before) sitting around the fire, decided to call it a night. No sooner did our heads hit the pillows, then cars started pulling into Area 51. We heard noises of chopping wood, laughter and beer flowing. So Padishar and myself pulled ourselves out of bed and joined the fun. This night’s fun went on until 4 AM!!! Hey Ben, BEER FOUNTAIN!!!! I also watched a Geocacher (sorry, but I forget his name at the moment) reach his hand into the fire to pull out a Geocoin that was accidentally dropped in. His hand was fine (as he had a glove on) but he caught his arm on the edge of the fire pit that left a nasty burn! What some people will do for a Geocoin is just amazing!!

Day 2 was a little slow as it was only Thursday and not yet the weekend. So the Area 51 hosts jumped in the Cache Mobile and grabbed the local area caches. There were some beautiful hikes in the nature preserves and those pesky weed bugs seemed to be REALLY attracted to Lord Padishar’s neck!! We laughed, we cried and we found every cache we hunted this day. We then retired back to Area 51 as I only owned about 3 Geocoins and did not want to lose them in the Poker Game. This night had us lighting 3 of the 5 fires pits as the crowd had grown. The festivities went on until 3:00AM.

Day 3 was hot. It was about 101 degrees F in the tent when I finally crawled out of bed at 10 AM. After a wonderfully cooked breakfast, Lord Padishar and I found a nice little swimming hole to relax in the afternoon sun. We moved back to Area 51 to prepare for the night’s festivities. This night, we had all five fire pits going and estimate that about 100 people were in attendance. We went through nearly the entire pile of firewood and met MANY wonderful caches. And I only caught on fire once this night. OK, only my gloves caught on fire, but it was still cool! I did, however, lose the majority of the hair on my arms on this night! The best part was that the Bluewater Ramblers (the folk band) needed a practice session before their big show the next night. So they showed up at Area 51 and started playing. How cool is that? 5 fires pits, about 100 crazy geocachers, enough booze to get an entire herd of elephants drunk and a folk band playing music. I lost track of time, but I think the sun may have been coming up when I finally went to bed!!

Day 4 was Saturday and a lot of things were going on. I wanted to go to the reviewer’s panel, but since the party the night before went on until well after 3 AM, I missed it trying to sleep off the hangover. It was also then that Lord Padishar and I realized that we have drunk 2.5 of the 3 cases of beer we brought! HOLY COW!! We also needed firewood. So the park told us to grab whatever we wanted from the huge brush pile in the middle of the grounds. The problem is that the logs were 6 to 8 feet long and the fire pits were only 2.5 to 4 feet wide. So we needed a chainsaw. And Steve, aka “ChainSawGuy” came to the rescue!! He took the time to drive for a half hour to grab his chainsaw, bar oil and Dremel tool (to sharpen the blade) and drive back just so that the organizers didn’t have to pay to have another load delivered. What a guy!! Anyway, Padishar and I made it back to the swimming hole to cool down again and then made our way to the Groundspeak presentation. This was VERY informative and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Of course, right after this presentation was the release of the brand new Green Jeep Travel Bugs!!! So I waited in line and got a hold of one. Next up was the BBQ dinner and that had to have been the BEST potato salad I’ve ever had!!! I even got to eat dinner with Eric who is a Groundspeak Lackie and was really cool! Well, with a full belly and a new Jeep in the pocket, I made it back to Area 51 to prepare for the night’s festivities. This included cutting up all that wood that was delivered. Thank you so much to ChainSawGuy and Brent who helped throw wood around while I ran the saw (can you believe that they let me play with dangerous power tools???). Well, with the wood cut, the fires roaring and the tiki torches burning, it was time to party. And did we ever party!!! Since this was the last night for the bash, nothing was held back. The booze flowed, the peanuts were passed around and I even scored some free beer from the Groundspeak guys! Thanks a bunch! I finally called it a night sometime around 3 because I could barely keep my eyes open, but I heard that the party lasted until 6am!!!

To sum things up, I had a most excellent Geocaching vacation. Lady Elwood did not go into labor (and is not expected to for another couple of weeks) so the party lasted the whole week long! There are a lot of “Thank you’s” that must be thrown out there. I know I will forget someone, so please don’t take offense if I do.

Thank you to:

… Ben and Trippy for the patience to deal with everything that you did!

… 1MarkyMark1 for my new, really cool Big Green Expedition COPPER Coin!

… My fellow hosts, Lord Padishar and SixDogTeam for the hard work and good times!!

… All my fellow NEI-GEO Geocachers for making the trek up north.

… Lord Padishar for his WONDERFUL campfire cooking!

… Keith & Co. for the banner and the balloons! That was just too cool!

… Lady Elwood for NOT going into labor!

… Geocacher? I just met her!!!!

… Everyone who helped us earn the self appointed award for Most Drunk Campsite!

… The lost girl for a great laugh!

… Thor. Who knew that 15 million candles could be that bright!

… Clatmandu for educating me on Karma.

… SixDogTeam for giving me my first taste of fire roasted Vienna Sausages.

… Everyone for helping me kill off all those pesky brain cells.

… “It’s all about Pip!!!!”

… CCCooperAgency for your dedication to our wonderful sport.

… The Groundspeak Lackies for making the trek from Seattle and answering all our questions!

… The Treasure Hunting Family for leaving finger marks around my neck.

… Hey Ben, BEER FOUNTAIN!!!!

… Sunglasses. Especially when you have a hangover!

… Our Canadian cachers who crossed the border to join us. Othum, I hope you made it back across!!

… Boswell Industries for spending the entire trip right next to our host site and partying hard with us despite the fact that they knew NO other Geocachers and are brand new to the sport!!!

… The Reviewers who braved the Reviewer’s Panel discussion. I heard it got…interesting.

… All the volunteers who worked VERY hard to make this event possible.

… Whoever started the Congratulations sign for my wife and to everyone who signed it!!

… All those crazy and wonderful Geocachers that I met. I wish I could list them all, but this is getting long enough as it is!!

… Beer. We love beer!

… Buji, that stuff is AWESOME!!!!

… Team Shydog for letting me crash the Wifi, twice!

… UTM for giving us gas for the chainsaw.

… God, for giving us the most wonderful weather we could ask for!

… Those who brought the ATVs and/or trailers and helped move trash cans and wood around!

… Green Jeep TravelBugs. ‘Nuff said.

… Screw……………DRIVER!!!!!!!!

… Team Shydog for volunteering to help us out in the event of Lady Elwood’s labor!

… For my new GOLD Midwest GeoBash coin!

… For all the wonderful memories (at least those I can remember!).

… For all the new friends I made and the old ones that I got reacquainted with!

… For making me look forward to next year’s GeoBash!

Myself, Lord Padishar and SixDogTeam arrived at the Fairgrounds around 8:30PM on Wednesday evening. We only made one wrong turn, so we made it in good time. Got camp set up and got the first of MANY fires going. Things were calm that first night as there was a Hawaiian Luau going on in the Pavilion area. So at about 1AM when it was only myself and Padishar (Lead Dog called it a night a long time before) sitting around the fire, decided to call it a night. No sooner did our heads hit the pillows, then cars started pulling into Area 51. We heard noises of chopping wood, laughter and beer flowing. So Padishar and myself pulled ourselves out of bed and joined the fun. This night’s fun went on until 4 AM!!! Hey Ben, BEER FOUNTAIN!!!! I also watched a Geocacher (sorry, but I forget his name at the moment) reach his hand into the fire to pull out a Geocoin that was accidentally dropped in. His hand was fine (as he had a glove on) but he caught his arm on the edge of the fire pit that left a nasty burn! What some people will do for a Geocoin is just amazing!!

Day 2 was a little slow as it was only Thursday and not yet the weekend. So the Area 51 hosts jumped in the Cache Mobile and grabbed the local area caches. There were some beautiful hikes in the nature preserves and those pesky weed bugs seemed to be REALLY attracted to Lord Padishar’s neck!! We laughed, we cried and we found every cache we hunted this day. We then retired back to Area 51 as I only owned about 3 Geocoins and did not want to lose them in the Poker Game. This night had us lighting 3 of the 5 fires pits as the crowd had grown. The festivities went on until 3:00AM.

Day 3 was hot. It was about 101 degrees F in the tent when I finally crawled out of bed at 10 AM. After a wonderfully cooked breakfast, Lord Padishar and I found a nice little swimming hole to relax in the afternoon sun. We moved back to Area 51 to prepare for the night’s festivities. This night, we had all five fire pits going and estimate that about 100 people were in attendance. We went through nearly the entire pile of firewood and met MANY wonderful caches. And I only caught on fire once this night. OK, only my gloves caught on fire, but it was still cool! I did, however, lose the majority of the hair on my arms on this night! The best part was that the Bluewater Ramblers (the folk band) needed a practice session before their big show the next night. So they showed up at Area 51 and started playing. How cool is that? 5 fires pits, about 100 crazy geocachers, enough booze to get an entire herd of elephants drunk and a folk band playing music. I lost track of time, but I think the sun may have been coming up when I finally went to bed!!

Day 4 was Saturday and a lot of things were going on. I wanted to go to the reviewer’s panel, but since the party the night before went on until well after 3 AM, I missed it trying to sleep off the hangover. It was also then that Lord Padishar and I realized that we have drunk 2.5 of the 3 cases of beer we brought! HOLY COW!! We also needed firewood. So the park told us to grab whatever we wanted from the huge brush pile in the middle of the grounds. The problem is that the logs were 6 to 8 feet long and the fire pits were only 2.5 to 4 feet wide. So we needed a chainsaw. And Steve, aka “ChainSawGuy” came to the rescue!! He took the time to drive for a half hour to grab his chainsaw, bar oil and Dremel tool (to sharpen the blade) and drive back just so that the organizers didn’t have to pay to have another load delivered. What a guy!! Anyway, Padishar and I made it back to the swimming hole to cool down again and then made our way to the Groundspeak presentation. This was VERY informative and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Of course, right after this presentation was the release of the brand new Green Jeep Travel Bugs!!! So I waited in line and got a hold of one. Next up was the BBQ dinner and that had to have been the BEST potato salad I’ve ever had!!! I even got to eat dinner with Eric who is a Groundspeak Lackie and was really cool! Well, with a full belly and a new Jeep in the pocket, I made it back to Area 51 to prepare for the night’s festivities. This included cutting up all that wood that was delivered. Thank you so much to ChainSawGuy and Brent who helped throw wood around while I ran the saw (can you believe that they let me play with dangerous power tools???). Well, with the wood cut, the fires roaring and the tiki torches burning, it was time to party. And did we ever party!!! Since this was the last night for the bash, nothing was held back. The booze flowed, the peanuts were passed around and I even scored some free beer from the Groundspeak guys! Thanks a bunch! I finally called it a night sometime around 3 because I could barely keep my eyes open, but I heard that the party lasted until 6am!!!

To sum things up, I had a most excellent Geocaching vacation. Lady Elwood did not go into labor (and is not expected to for another couple of weeks) so the party lasted the whole week long! There are a lot of “Thank you’s” that must be thrown out there. I know I will forget someone, so please don’t take offense if I do.

Thank you to:

… My fellow hosts, Lord Padishar and SixDogTeam for the hard work and good times!!

… The Groundspeak Lackies for making the trek from Seattle and answering all our questions!

… Our Canadian cachers who crossed the border to join us. Othum, I hope you made it back across!!

… Boswell Industries for spending the entire trip right next to our host site and partying hard with us despite the fact that they knew NO other Geocachers and are brand new to the sport!!!

… The Reviewers who braved the Reviewer’s Panel discussion. I heard it got…interesting.

… Whoever started the Congratulations sign for my wife and to everyone who signed it!!

… All those crazy and wonderful Geocachers that I met. I wish I could list them all, but this is getting long enough as it is!!

… Beer. We love beer!

… Those who brought the ATVs and/or trailers and helped move trash cans and wood around!

… Team Shydog for volunteering to help us out in the event of Lady Elwood’s labor!

Can I get a "hell, yes!!!"

Thank you to:

… Beer. We love beer!

... To all those people who helped Brent have a little fun.

... To LeadDog for cooking a few more of those hot dogs we brought.

Wulf

It is good to see that everyone had a fun time up north. :D I will make sure it is on my list for next year. If any cacher makes it to Madison County, under my profile I have an up to date booklist of all the caches in the county and started one on CoC-RoW. Hopefully this will help.

I suggest Kendallville. The fairgrounds are big enough with camping and meeting areas. They've got a lot of caches nearby. Convenient to I-69 and not far from the Toll Road.

... and I've always liked that town. Good people up there.

OH MY!!!!![/font

Wheeldog ate a burger or something at Micky D's and won an instant pirates of the Carribean prize:

A Maggie Roadmate 3000T!!!

It has the voice of a young buxom blond, or maybe it's Brooke Burke, who says things like" Turn left at the next lite, honey." and If you pass a starbucks, she says "Let's get some coffee, baby!" and if there's a howard Johnson Motor Inn nearby, she says" Let's go to bed, stud" and you get the eyedear. and stuff like that, and it's portable so I guess I can borrow it and put it in the Kota for cache trips. You can deven oad a memory stik in it to view phots, alltho I don't know why you'd want to dao that. We are super psyched!! Anybody have a similar unit? It's about a six hundred buck thing, I guess...

Aint life grand?

Soon as we get it, I'll stuff it in the Kota, and anybody who wants can join us for a test trip. Patrick and Junior and I in the front, two small pip sized people can fit in the back seat and maybe three or four full sized people in the bed, and off we go!! :laughing:

Cache on!

:laughing::laughing::o

It is good to see that everyone had a fun time up north. :laughing: I will make sure it is on my list for next year. If any cacher makes it to Madison County, under my profile I have an up to date booklist of all the caches in the county and started one on CoC-RoW. Hopefully this will help.

I make it down to Madison County quite a bit as mine and my wife's families both live there. I have grabbed a quite a few there, but am always looking for more!!

I suggest Kendallville. The fairgrounds are big enough with camping and meeting areas. They've got a lot of caches nearby. Convenient to I-69 and not far from the Toll Road.

Keep the suggestions coming!! The planners for the MWGB are looking for all kinds of ideas ANYWHERE in the Midwest. This year they would like to have it closer to Chicago, but it depends on so many variables. That's why it takes a year to plan.

If you have a place in mind, please post your ideas on the Midwest Geobash Forums found at www.midwestgeobash.org.

Edited by Lord Elwood

OH MY!!!!![/font

Wheeldog ate a burger or something at Micky D's and won an instant pirates of the Carribean prize:

A Maggie Roadmate 3000T!!!

It has the voice of a young buxom blond, or maybe it's Brooke Burke, who says things like" Turn left at the next lite, honey." and If you pass a starbucks, she says "Let's get some coffee, baby!" and if there's a howard Johnson Motor Inn nearby, she says" Let's go to bed, stud" and you get the eyedear. and stuff like that, and it's portable so I guess I can borrow it and put it in the Kota for cache trips. You can deven oad a memory stik in it to view phots, alltho I don't know why you'd want to dao that. We are super psyched!! Anybody have a similar unit? It's about a six hundred buck thing, I guess...

Aint life grand?

Soon as we get it, I'll stuff it in the Kota, and anybody who wants can join us for a test trip. Patrick and Junior and I in the front, two small pip sized people can fit in the back seat and maybe three or four full sized people in the bed, and off we go!! :laughing:

Cache on!

:laughing::laughing::o

Wow, that's cool! All I got was a pirate skull in my happy meal!

I thought Huntington Reservoir would be a great location. SixDogTeam could cook hotdogs by day and beer brauts by night all week long. Would you believe there are 60 ACTIVE caches within 5 miles of the site itself. It has easy access off of I-69 and has several miles of trails.

Wh are these dorks?

129e6c39-cc69-4448-94aa-44c9ae92c185.jpg

:laughing::laughing::lol:

Why? Do they owe you money? Is there a finder's fee?

I took their photo at the Bash. I think they're a modern version of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker. I saw a photo in the post office that REALLLY looked like the girl. Poster said Wanted by the FBI for Interstate Caching or something... :P

Torry Make sure to send your ideas on a possible venue to Trippy I think their E-Mail is info@midwestgeobash.org. They're looking for venues in central Indiana.

EDIT: Darnit I always jump the gun and post before I've ready the whole thread...

Edited by PMaholm

Torry Make sure to send your ideas on a possible venue to Trippy I think their E-Mail is info@midwestgeobash.org. They're looking for venues in central Indiana.

EDIT: Darnit I always jump the gun and post before I've ready the whole thread...

Hmmm ... taking one of Torry's ideas seriously .... hmmm .. what are the odds.

Actually, I was thinking that Kendallville maintains the "tradition" of the event being located near the OH/MI/IN corner.

I have no contributions for anything closer to Chicago, I know there are several private campgrounds in the area but they seem to do pretty good business throughout the summer. The County Fairgrounds idea is stellar... MAybe Goshen, Indiana? There's a fairgrounds on the south side of town, several of the oldtimer caches ... close to South Bend and Mishawaka?

Hmmm ... taking one of Torry's ideas seriously .... hmmm .. what are the odds.

Actually, I was thinking that Kendallville maintains the "tradition" of the event being located near the OH/MI/IN corner.

I have no contributions for anything closer to Chicago, I know there are several private campgrounds in the area but they seem to do pretty good business throughout the summer. The County Fairgrounds idea is stellar... MAybe Goshen, Indiana? There's a fairgrounds on the south side of town, several of the oldtimer caches ... close to South Bend and Mishawaka?

Oops! I meant Warsaw .. not Goshen.

All this talk of Bippus reminds me of College at Huntington.

My History of Civ prof used to tell his students who mostly were from out of state that they should really consider taking a weekend jont to Bippus to the skyscraper and take the elevator to the lookout platform at the top. The view was reportedly great of the surrounding area. He announced the idea every year to help the new students get aquanted with Indiana.

History of Civ is required of all Freshman so I always imagined all those students traveling to Bippus

I was a local boy and my wife grew up in Bippus so I always mentioned that it was the best place to visit in Huntington County. I assume SixDogTeam already has a cache there but it didn't vcome up on my searches.