Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

We would like to welcome JOYPA to the GEOISQ. His first cache may be seen here:

geocache

I don't like it so well, now that he's shaved his beard-I liked the way it tickled my nose when I kissed his face--oh wait, Joypa doesn't kiss dogs, I'm thinking of someone else. never mind.

HEY! I found that cache today!

Nice cache, but it was too windy at the cemetery. See if you can do something about that. :rolleyes:

Bret

Cybret,

There was an article in the local paper about the clean up of this cemetery last week. That article prompted me to go and have a look and place a cache there. The cemetery was in very bad shape and, through the efforts of some locals it is now accessible. During the work, they cut down a lot of trees and brush, which, no doubt, increased the wind through there. However, I'm quite sure it does not bother the inhabitants. :rolleyes:

Theories- The ammo can leaks. Don't think so, but testable.

- Someone did not seal the container properly. Possible but unprovable.

- Someone did the nasty in there. Possible but no odor was present.

What do you guys think?

Some thoughts:

~I have often wondered if the ammo cans will leak at certain temperatures, but be nicely sealed at other temps as the metal expands and contracts. Worth testing.

~If someone accidentally caught something, like a ziplock bag, in the edge of the can, the gasket would not seal tightly, and rain or humidity can enter. Once the moisture is in, it tends to collect. As you said, not testable.

~The rubber gasket may need to be replaced.

~The dampness may have begun earlier than the reports of dampness. Some people just do not mention anything that may be intrepreted as being negative in their logs for fear of offending someone.

The other issue related to this cache is, having archived it, I went back and read the logs. (Its a good thing the log book was waterproof) I noticed several things. Some people sign the log book one way and the cache page another. A few claimed a find but were not in the log book. Several signed the log book but did not claim the find on line. Two people claimed the find twice. I deleted the second logs of the people who claimed two finds but took no action on any of the other discrepancies (having no solid evidence of shenagians). What are everyone's thoughts on this?

~One of my caches had 117 people who wrote in the book last time I checked, but only 43 online logs. Apparently it has been visited by a lot of people that don't log online, as only a couple of those were small teams.

~Some "teams" log individually. Chris and I sign logs with "Team Neos" to save space in the logbook for the cache owner, but we log our finds individually. The team account that explains that "Team Neos" is actually Neos1 and Neos2.

~I have noticed that double find logs for a cache tend to happen on weekends, when the server is busiest. Newer cachers tend to not know that it can take awhile for the online log to go through, and that they may need to refresh the page before their log shows up.

~Also new cachers sometimes think that each member of the team needs to log the find, even if they are using only one account.

~Some cachers begin as a team, and later backdate logs on an individual account. Usually they explain what they are doing at the time, but sometimes you have to read the logs to find something like "I was out with my daughter when we found this" signed by Team X and the same day a log that says "I was with my Dad when I found this" signed by New Account Holder Y .

~ Some cachers change their caching name at some point (So they appear on your paper log as Magix Clown and on the online log as Majestic Bounty), or they sign the paper log with their real name and the online log with the caching name.

If I thought someone was completely bogus in their log, I would probably write to them to inquire before I did anything else. There may be a simple exxplaination.

Cybret,

There was an article in the local paper about the clean up of this cemetery last week. That article prompted me to go and have a look and place a cache there. The cemetery was in very bad shape and, through the efforts of some locals it is now accessible. During the work, they cut down a lot of trees and brush, which, no doubt, increased the wind through there. However, I'm quite sure it does not bother the inhabitants. :rolleyes:

Eeh, it was windy everywhere yesterday...well...almost everywhere.

It looks like they must have scrubbed the tombstones with something. They were amazingly clean looking. As I mentioned in my log, I hope someone's trying to transcribe the stones while they still can.

All-in-all, I had a pretty good day. The best part was finding a Yellow Jeep Travel Bug in a cache. It had never been logged in and apparently was overlooked by past finders.

Bret

I've added a waymark for the "American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves" category. Thanks to one of the ISQ's I found Saturday Private Dukes can now be found as an ISQ and as a Waymark.

I was able to find a little more information about Isaac Dukes' life on another website. Feel free to copy the information over onto the ISQ page if you'd like.

If you're out finding or researching ISQ's I'd appreciate any additions you can make to this Waymarking category.

Bret

Who has the coolest signature items around here? I always liked RPW's eggs and lions. Does anyone know of anyone else I can add to my collection?

Victory Mike from Michigan has some cool chain mail sig items, some are key chains and the latest one he has made a "man" out of chain mail ....

We so far just have a simple Team Tigger Keychain and our sig card.

There are also several special geo coins that are in fact "sig" items of sorts.

There are lots of really cool sig items out there its just a matter of finding them or trading them at get togethers.

Star

I've added a waymark for the "American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves" category. Thanks to one of the ISQ's I found Saturday Private Dukes can now be found as an ISQ and as a Waymark.

I was able to find a little more information about Isaac Dukes' life on another website. Feel free to copy the information over onto the ISQ page if you'd like.

If you're out finding or researching ISQ's I'd appreciate any additions you can make to this Waymarking category.

Bret

Thats really cool Bret !

Star

The Black Rock Project would like to address the North Central Indiana Cachers, at least the ones that read this thread. We would like to say the following:

• We do not want to be considered enemies with anyone.

• Just because we speak our minds about a specific cache or related topic does not mean we don’t “like” you.

• The BRP would like to be proactive in the geocaching community in every way.

• Our caching team is not going away, we’re here to stay.

• We have been perceived in many ways, but only in type, which is often misconstrued.

• If any member of the BRP has offended you, please let us know now so we can take corrective measures.

• We intend on becoming a major voice in this area and would prefer getting along with everyone involved.

Indiana is all about hospitality and we do not want to go against that. We plan on attending the spring picnic unless there is a huge objection. We would like to meet everyone and hopefully become one of “the guys’.

Who has the coolest signature items around here? I always liked RPW's eggs and lions.

Thank you for the kind words. I do like both of those. Small enough for a micro yet interesting enough to collect.

Sig items that I've picked up include Kelly's "Bags of gold", Bicycling Santa's bicycle, homemade pots from the DoverDuo, IndyDiver's "diving man", 3bean's "bean pin", a tag from "Boilerbluto and candy317"; I don't recall seeing the latter two groups lately and the GCing.com server is down again so I can't check to see if they are still active. Donsi has put out foam pool balls, the Oldtimers shells, and Cache Commando wooden nickles. I don't really collect sig items and thus there are probably many others in the central Indiana area that I am missing.

My all time favorite sig item is one from LumberJack Tom in southern Indiana. It is a nicely made 3" by 1.5" wooden plaque which reads on one side "another geocaching moment from LumberJack Tom" with a picture of an axe. On the other side it reads,

"Q: L/J Tom, where do you get the strength to climb those long steep hills?"

"A: Nietesche works for me: 'What does not destroy me ... will make me wish it had tomorrow.'"

Who has the coolest signature items around here? I always liked RPW's eggs and lions.

Thank you for the kind words. I do like both of those. Small enough for a micro yet interesting enough to collect.

Sig items that I've picked up include Kelly's "Bags of gold", Bicycling Santa's bicycle, homemade pots from the DoverDuo, IndyDiver's "diving man", 3bean's "bean pin", a tag from "Boilerbluto and candy317"; I don't recall seeing the latter two groups lately and the GCing.com server is down again so I can't check to see if they are still active. Donsi has put out foam pool balls, the Oldtimers shells, and Cache Commando wooden nickles. I don't really collect sig items and thus there are probably many others in the central Indiana area that I am missing.

My all time favorite sig item is one from LumberJack Tom in southern Indiana. It is a nicely made 3" by 1.5" wooden plaque which reads on one side "another geocaching moment from LumberJack Tom" with a picture of an axe. On the other side it reads,

"Q: L/J Tom, where do you get the strength to climb those long steep hills?"

"A: Nietesche works for me: 'What does not destroy me ... will make me wish it had tomorrow.'"

I am a sad puppy , I am wondering where my sweet adorable Patrick :D:) has been . *sniff*

1a57fe81-208b-42d7-a3b0-f7d1304861d3.jpg

Your sweet adorable Patrick has been helping Lead Dog hide a series caches on the Salamonie Bridle Trail for campers at the Spring Picnic to find. There's lots of mud and horse poop and scenic vistas of the Reservoir and lots of deer and birds, so it's a geodawgs' paradise!

On a more somber note, a southern cacher has archived his cemetery cache because a muggle posted a note threatening to call the county prosecuter blaming geocachers for vandalism (specifically moving stones around looking for the cache, which ironically was OUTSIDE the fence of the cemetery).

A lot of us don't want what happened in South Carolina to happen in Indiana, so remember not to disturb anything when caching in cemeteries and if you find a cache that is under or around a tombstone, please contact us or MC by email with your concerns...

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

I am a sad puppy , I am wondering where my sweet adorable Patrick :(:( has been . *sniff*

Your sweet adorable Patrick has been helping Lead Dog hide a series caches on the Salamonie Bridle Trail for campers at the Spring Picnic to find. There's lots of mud and horse poop and scenic vistas of the Reservoir and lots of deer and birds, so it's a geodawgs' paradise!

On a more somber note, a southern cacher has archived his cemetery cache because a muggle posted a note threatening to call the county prosecuter blaming geocachers for vandalism (specifically moving stones around looking for the cache, which ironically was OUTSIDE the fence of the cemetery).

A lot of us don't want what happened in South Carolina to happen in Indiana, so remember not to disturb anything when caching in cemeteries and if you find a cache that is under or around a tombstone, please contact us or MC by email with your concerns...

Sorry said cacher felt he needed to archive his cache . Its just sad ....

and LeadDog placing a new series of caches ack ! I don't think we will ever keep up with him !

Patrick you sure are one photogenic Doggy , the pictures you have been posting of your adventures are fab!

Star

I am a sad puppy , I am wondering where my sweet adorable Patrick :(:( has been . *sniff*

Sorry said cacher felt he needed to archive his cache . Its just sad ....

and LeadDog placing a new series of caches ack ! I don't think we will ever keep up with him !

Patrick you sure are one photogenic Doggy , the pictures you have been posting of your adventures are fab!

Star

Yes, it's sad. BTW I should have written "southern INDIANA cacher"...

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

A note out to cachers that live in the MUNCIE area. My wife and I will be moving this summer. We wanted to know if there was any one that wanted to take over our "Rhode Island" or "Whirlpool Micro" caches. If there is no interest we will have to remove them. The alternative of transfering them to other cachers sounds better to us, that way we can still see that they are getting found.

Let us know if you are interested.

Thanks

Is anyone going out today, or are you all staying inside watching the NCAA tourney? Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work, so the likelyhood of me getting either done is pretty slim. Here in Plainfield, weather.com is showing 47 as a high and sunny today, should be a good day to get out.

Edited by IndyTechNerd and Family

This photo was uploaded on one of our ISQ cache logs this weekend. See the nice doggy driving the car, and keeping it warm while his master was out looking for the cache? See how he's being a good boy and not tearing into the dog cookies?

WHO CAN IDENTIFY THIS MYSTERY GEO DOG???

ef855aab-70ae-4c8f-a1f9-2b430ec6d2e5.jpg

:lol::P:)

That's Logan, Tipper's borfriend, sorry ladies but he's off the market. All the good laddies who have a car are all taken.

Here's a pic of Tipper waiting on his call.............

images.gif

Edited by GerbilMafia

We really like it when INDIANA GEOCACHERS upload images to their found logs on our cache pages, and we like to share the best ones with you.

Here is one half of Team Goldwingers at "Reservoir Dogs #20: The Path Less Travelled"--altho, as you can see from the photo, they elected to not take the path at all, but go cross country!

464d8e69-e10c-4780-bc07-5eabca77cd70.jpg

:D

Well , we gave STAR most of the day to do this, but she wouldn't, so

HAPPY 1ST DAY OF SPRING!!!!

Officially, GEOCACHING in INDIANA is now in season!! Break out the swim trunks and bikinis and Let's Do This Thing!! Put another hot dog on the barbie, Mate!!

CALLING ALL GEODAWGS!! IT'S HIDE AND SEEK TIME!!!

that's nice.. the first day of spring and there's snow on the ground LOL

Gosh, I've been gone two weeks and not a whole lot of action here! Actually I'm glad I only had to read through a little over a page of posts to get caught up.

Spent two weeks in warmer state. The reluctant hubby even got into finding some caches. Occasionally, REALLY into it, OBSESSED even! But thanks to him, we found at least one I would have given up on.

Thanks to all geocachers from all states, but I have to say that Indiana Geocachers Rule!

Still working on logging every find and bug drop/pickup, but we reached a modest milestone of 100 finds.

...Still working on logging every find and bug drop/pickup, but we reached a modest milestone of 100 finds.

Modest or not, congratulations on your milestone find. ;)

Thanks! You've made my day. . .particularly since I opened a slightly insulting email this morning from a Florida cacher who did not like my comments on a DNF I logged.

Oh, BTW, I emailed the guy who archived his cemetery cache due to threats concerning we cachers doing damage to headstones. He replied that he spoke with his township trustee who did not have a problem at all with us cachers. Sure glad to hear that! So many ISQ's, so little time!

Here's another Mystery Dawg--who can identify her?

dd9bb784-a691-42c4-a405-bbf2c388b4a2.jpg

:tired:

That's not a dog, look at the scale of the cache it is beside. It's really just a stuffed travel bug with one of those new clip on TB tags. Could someone move that cute bug to our neck of the woods, we'd love to help it on its journeys.

Look how small her ears are--they don't even reach down to her nose yet. She's just a pup--It'lll be along time before those ears will let her fly!

:huh:;)

Boy, Groundspeak really boogered up the bookmark lists, eh? What's up with that?

I think that they're still working out some issues, given the number of complaints that I've seen (and I didn't look hard). At least it's now allowing up to 500 caches per list, so I'm beginning to combine the ISQ bookmarks. I just hope that they get the ordering issue fixed. :lol:

Boy, Groundspeak really boogered up the bookmark lists, eh? What's up with that?

I think that they're still working out some issues, given the number of complaints that I've seen (and I didn't look hard). At least it's now allowing up to 500 caches per list, so I'm beginning to combine the ISQ bookmarks. I just hope that they get the ordering issue fixed. :(

Jeremy has fixed the alphanumeric bug, but it seems, Kelly, that some ISQ's have dropped out of your lists--#102 and #163? for example...???? :unsure:

I know there are ISQ caches in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan, but how many different COUNTRIES are they in???

:D:D

I thought that someone had a map of that once. If I'm remembering right (and I'm not sure I am) there's no ISQs in St. Joseph County although there's at least one in Elkhart Co. and a couple now in LaPorte County. That's my excuse for not having any ISQs on my tally -- none in St. Joe. Co.