Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

We've noticed that SOME of the owners of the newer "cemetary" caches being published are adding elements to their one-line descriptions like an admonishment to not cache at night in cemeteries and/or photos on the cache page. I wonder if this is the result of an influence by those ISQ caches?

:(  :lol:  :o

Fortunately, however, that dog thing is not catching on.

Edited by Torry

Here's an interesting log I came across today while checking the status of the caches near the '06 Spring Picnic:

[:lol:]January 16 by TEAM RETRIEVER (53 found)

Started out this morning with a plan to find the remaining 16 caches in the Dead End series that I needed (already found 16 thru 21). My brother, "He Dog", thought it sounded like fun, so he tagged along. Started with the newest, number 22 ("He Dog" got his first FTF), and then hit 1 thru 15 in order. Found all of them except numbers 12 and 13 (see my post on those cache pages).

Thanks so much for this entire series, Trickworm! I've explored so many areas of the reservoirs that I never knew existed. Too bad so many losers have to litter on all of these dead ends. Maybe us Huntington area cachers should plan a C.I.T.O. event! LOL!

Captain Retriever

TEAM RETRIEVER

Are you volunteering, Captain? Thanks, that's GREAT. I'll be willing to help you with it, if you want! Where did you have in mind for the site? HAC --Huntington Area Cachers--is that a group I should know about, or is it a secret Caching Fraternity like Pinetrails' BAGO (Bippus Area Geocachers Org.)?

:o

*cross post from Ft Wayne forums*

Since the party is in the Detroit area this year, I had an idea. There is a locally famous multicache that is reborn every year in a new form and I'd wondered if there would be any interest in a group of Ft Wayne's finest taking their shot at it.

I have to warn you, it's an all day thing (8 hours wouldn't be an unreasonable guess) and the specific perils for this year are unknown, but this is something we look forward to and come April/May we're chomping at the bit to get to it.

I'll post a link to last year so you can read what ppl have logged.

Bill & Gary IV

This is an open invitation to any Indiana Geocachers who might be interested.

Wulf

What a day in Indiana! I decide to get the family out for a cacheing road trip. Topic Indiana weather sunny, rainy, windy, snow, and ice. Did my first earth cache in Tipton area and several other finds. I started the the first of the month and I am hooked. 7 more and I will be at 50. Some here can not remember back that far in their cache logs. :ph34r::D It is a fun sport.

Does anyone know were I can get a map of indiana and counties I have found caches in for my profile page? :D

I made mine with photoshop. As far as I know there isn't a simple "click and color" counties map for indiana. You could probaly pull it off with MS PAINT with a little work. Every time I get another county I select the black text on the map, delete it, fill it with a color and type the county name back in.

I just went to add a new profile image, uploaded it, copied the location and put it in the profile. You don't actually have to select it as your image - you just upload it like you're going to. Works for stuff on the forums, etc. too.

Talking about counties, Benton county will be a hard one to pull off as there is only one cache in the whole of the county, and it's currently disabled (I think). Maybe someone can go hide a few caches there so people can go GEOCACHING in this fine INDIANA county. (Well, I suppose I could, if I can find time during our move to a new house in town.)

just in case, if anyone else is as lost as to where each county might be as I am/was (hey, we've only lived in this state for 6 months), the state has a pretty map (non-colorable) at

map of indiana

the colorable page doesn't give you a template to fill in, just a list of county names to click on.

Edited by Beffums

I don't think that WAAS will make much difference here in Indiana, at least for geocaching. A year or so ago I took my two Garmin Legends side by side, one with WAAS on and the other with WAAS off and did not see much of a difference. Of course they keep improving the system. So I should try that experiment again. Garmin's web site says:

For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open land and marine applications.

That last line doesn't make WAAS sound very good for geocaching, does it?

On another note, I think I have found a interesting way to make the "stash note" (the bit of paper in every cache that starts off "GEOCACHE SITE - PLEASE READ") waterproof. Up to this time I have been printing it off and then laminating it. That works. But today I had the idea of printing it on transparency paper. Waterproof and a little bit less hassle (if you have a laser printer and the transparency paper, of course.) Finders of my new cache(s) will have to tell me what they think of this idea.

Lastly, don't forget the CINCO poker run and the IndiGo Euchure meeting this Saturday. My wife is dragging me off on to a non-geocaching event and so I will probably miss both of them but they should be lots of fun.

....BAGO (Bippus Area Geocachers Org.)?

Bagel? Did somebody say "bagel"? GEOCACHING in INDIANA makes me hungry!

Mrs. Car54

There will be plenty of Hot Dogs at the Spring GEOCACHING in INDIANA picnic at Salomonie State Forest. Patrick is trying to figure out a geo competition for all the geodogs present, but he hasn't quite figured it out yet. Something about timed trials to find a hotdog in a tupperware. :)

I don't think that WAAS will make much difference here in Indiana, at least for geocaching. A year or so ago I took my two Garmin Legends side by side, one with WAAS on and the other with WAAS off and did not see much of a difference.

I once placed both our eMaps on the dashboard side by side and found they were reading 50 feet apart.

I have no idea if WAAS makes any difference but since I've got it, it's turned on.

Wulf

This is a website that will let you color code county maps of states, perfect for showing the counties where you've GEOCACHED in INDIANA.

http://monarch.tamu.edu/~maps2/

Thanks for the link! I've added this to my profile page although it needs some more work since I need to look up some caches.

Does anybody know if Pokagon State Park is in Steuben County? Also, where is Turkey Run?

Kinda odd, but I'll have more states than Indiana counties! Especially after my March vacation.

On the subject of Indiana counties we've all cached in, I'll bring this cache up.

Wulf

I looked at this one (in between tasks at work!) and said, huh? I guess I just wanna go out and find some caches (in INDIANA) and don't want to think about it so much. Hmmmm, makes sense why puzzle caches aren't my favorites!

Zoe-dog just wants to hike with as little thinking as possible.

Since I'm into posting today. . .

Patrick, I got the coords for the Center of the County caches for both St. Joseph and LaPorte counties (thanks to Rupert2). The St. Joseph coords are pretty close to me, but they land about on the property line of two private property owners. I happen to know one property owner, but because of the lack of streets and road right there, placing a cache right there isn't feasible. Any suggestions?

Regarding, LP County, I'll have to scope out the area sometime to see what's there. I may ask a LaPorte County cacher if they are interested in placing one.

Hey all. I'm very interested in setting up something of a travel bug race to tour INDIANA. What I'm thinking is that a winning travel bug has to visit some number of regions within the state before making it to the finish line. I'm trying to figure out how to best describe these regions, and the precise number. I would like suggestions on both. If it helps, I'm looking at starting in early March and hoping someone would have a winner by the Fall GEOCACHING picnic.

Hey all. I'm very interested in setting up something of a travel bug race to tour INDIANA. What I'm thinking is that a winning travel bug has to visit some number of regions within the state before making it to the finish line. I'm trying to figure out how to best describe these regions, and the precise number. I would like suggestions on both. If it helps, I'm looking at starting in early March and hoping someone would have a winner by the Fall GEOCACHING picnic.

Caches within specific cities, perhaps?

How about designating 3 or 4 acceptable caches per set region (city, town, county, whatever is decided upon). This way if one of the caches is muggled, disable, etc., the bugs have alternatives. Also, I would recommend prohibiting all multistage and puzzle caches and the like as these are not visited as frequently and the bugs are more likely to get stranded in these caches. Other ideas?

what about to see how many different *types* of caches it can find? micro vs 20-gallon tub. puzzle vs ammo can under a fallen log. virtual vs earthcache. etc etc. Just because a TB can't fit into a cache doesn't mean it can't sit within a foot or two of it -- close enough for a picture (and most cachers can be intelligent enough to take a pic that isn't a spoiler).

Alternatively, you could designate "home" caches. So, for my travel bugs, once they finish their "race" this year to find mittens, the three little kittens will be racing back to their home caches. Elemental will be aiming for Elemental's Escape (here in Evansville), Xander will head to Xander's Hideout, and Sweet Bambina to Baby's Pad. You could pick out 5 caches around the state for each TB, and see which one makes it to the most of their 5 (or 10 or however many you pick)

Um, other options... you could do something like

This is travel bug "N" -- he is searching for a cache beginning with the letter N in every county in Indiana.

This is travel bug "O" -- he is searching for ...

(don't pick Q or X, you get the idea - A or T might also be bad, since there are too many caches that start with them "A ___", "The ___")

lemme think some more...

How about something resembling more of a TB obstacle course? It could be created similar to the Coin Quest game. List 10 different tasks for the TB. One task logged per person. Travel a minimum of 50 miles per hop between caches. The first to finish and return to point X wins.

For example:

1. Visit a cache at a historic bridge

2. Visit a cache at a cave

3. Visit a cache at a natural spring

Etc…

Of course you will want to make the tasks more specific (challenging) than what I have listed here.

How about something resembling more of a TB obstacle course? It could be created similar to the Coin Quest game. List 10 different tasks for the TB. One task logged per person. Travel a minimum of 50 miles per hop between caches. The first to finish and return to point X wins.

For example:

Etc…

Of course you will want to make the tasks more specific (challenging) than what I have listed here.

4. Visit a cache in a cemetery.

For example:

Etc…

4. Visit a cache in a cemetery.

5. Visit a cache at a waterfall hidden by a white dog who likes to swallow hotdogs whole. :mad:

Patrick, I got the coords for the Center of the County caches for both St. Joseph and LaPorte counties (thanks to Rupert2). The St. Joseph coords are pretty close to me, but they land about on the property line of two private property owners. I happen to know one property owner, but because of the lack of streets and road right there, placing a cache right there isn't feasible. Any suggestions?

The only way we'll ever get to the EXACT spot is if it's the intersection of a meridian and division road--even then it has to be offset to it's hiding spot. The name of the series is Coc-RoW, so just hide it on the ROW of a road that is nearby or nearest-even if it's a half mile away...in a tree or on a telephone pole or guardrail or cow's butt or hot dog stand--whatever's handy. :mad:

I don't think that WAAS will make much difference here in Indiana, at least for geocaching. A year or so ago I took my two Garmin Legends side by side, one with WAAS on and the other with WAAS off and did not see much of a difference. Of course they keep improving the system. So I should try that experiment again. Garmin's web site says:

For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open land and marine applications.

That last line doesn't make WAAS sound very good for geocaching, does it?

On another note, I think I have found a interesting way to make the "stash note" (the bit of paper in every cache that starts off "GEOCACHE SITE - PLEASE READ") waterproof. Up to this time I have been printing it off and then laminating it. That works. But today I had the idea of printing it on transparency paper. Waterproof and a little bit less hassle (if you have a laser printer and the transparency paper, of course.) Finders of my new cache(s) will have to tell me what they think of this idea.

Lastly, don't forget the CINCO poker run and the IndiGo Euchure meeting this Saturday. My wife is dragging me off on to a non-geocaching event and so I will probably miss both of them but they should be lots of fun.

Ok I just spent a week caching in Indiana and I live in Washington State. A few quick observations on WAAS.

I was very happy to have WAAS sat 35 at about a 45 degree at almost all times, back home 35 and 47 are both at the horizon level and you almost never actually get a signal from them.

Indiana is flat enough, I know not every where but close enough, that you can almost always seem to get 6 sats or so. At least where I was. When you have so many sats the WAAS isn't really that helpfull since you can really be pinpointed well. If you only had a few satilites WAAS makes a larger difference.

But over all while caching in Indiana with WAAS on I was almost always at an error of less then 20 feet, in many cases it was less then 15 feet. Back home I rarely get a stable error reading less then 30 feet with it fluxuating easily from 20 to 50 feet.

I would say that you are in a good place to get WAAS and to achieve good acuracies.

Hope this helps.

This is a website that will let you color code county maps of states, perfect for showing the counties where you've GEOCACHED in INDIANA. 

Thanks for the link! I've added this to my profile page although it needs some more work since I need to look up some caches.

Does anybody know if Pokagon State Park is in Steuben County? Also, where is Turkey Run?

Kinda odd, but I'll have more states than Indiana counties! Especially after my March vacation.

turkey run is in Parke that is where i am

Patrick, I got the coords for the Center of the County caches for both St. Joseph and LaPorte counties (thanks to Rupert2).  The St. Joseph coords are pretty close to me, but they land about on the property line of two private property owners.  I happen to know one property owner, but because of the lack of streets and road right there, placing a cache right there isn't feasible.  Any suggestions?

The only way we'll ever get to the EXACT spot is if it's the intersection of a meridian and division road--even then it has to be offset to it's hiding spot. The name of the series is Coc-RoW, so just hide it on the ROW of a road that is nearby or nearest-even if it's a half mile away...in a tree or on a telephone pole or guardrail or cow's butt or hot dog stand--whatever's handy. :mad:

Well then, I'll see what I can do. Maybe even send the reluctant hubby out to find the closest spot.

And then the number in your cache is the county number? So this one would be CoC-RoW #71: St. Joseph?

Hey I did something.. Awesome, thanks.  My first ISQ was #340 in Mechanicsburg. Thanks for the cache -{LoS}-Xile.

I've only found two... Would like to find more, any plans for an ISQ run?

...but what a great place to jump in at.

Thanks! I have finds in a whopping 5 Indiana counties. Guess I have some work to do!

EDITED: I don't even remember who I was trying to quote, but this obviously isn't the right quote!

Edited by hide & seekers

Thanks for all of the interesting suggestions for my idea of a travel bug race. What I'm thinking is dividing up the state of INDIANA into regions and requiring a visit into all or almost all regions. I do like the idea of having a type requirement or two for bugs to meet, but I don't want to overdo it. Also, multicaches and mystery caches will likely not be off limits. It would be interesting to have a racer request someone go GEOCACHING with an opponent's TB and put it in a nasty puzzle cache. :mad:

I'll be running a couple of PQs overnight to figure out how best to partition the state. I should have the details mostly in place by this weekend's CINCO event.

Patrick, I got the coords for the Center of the County caches for both St. Joseph and LaPorte counties (thanks to Rupert2).  The St. Joseph coords are pretty close to me, but they land about on the property line of two private property owners.  I happen to know one property owner, but because of the lack of streets and road right there, placing a cache right there isn't feasible.  Any suggestions?

The only way we'll ever get to the EXACT spot is if it's the intersection of a meridian and division road--even then it has to be offset to it's hiding spot. The name of the series is Coc-RoW, so just hide it on the ROW of a road that is nearby or nearest-even if it's a half mile away...in a tree or on a telephone pole or guardrail or cow's butt or hot dog stand--whatever's handy. :(

Well then, I'll see what I can do. Maybe even send the reluctant hubby out to find the closest spot.

And then the number in your cache is the county number? So this one would be CoC-RoW #71: St. Joseph?

Yup!

turkey run is in Parke that is where i am

Pokagon is in Steuben.