Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

I got a surprise when I got home Saturday....the Geo-puppy Fairy dropped this off while I was gone

0c571000-bdee-4337-ab1c-481d83dc756b.jpg

Geo-pup doesn't have a name yet, any ideas?? He is a Rat Terrier.

he's sooooo cute!

you like hiking a lot - how about "trails"? (or there's the traditional "spot" "rover" ...)

I got a surprise when I got home Saturday....the Geo-puppy Fairy dropped this off while I was gone

Geo-pup doesn't have a name yet, any ideas??  He is a Rat Terrier.

he's sooooo cute!

you like hiking a lot - how about "trails"? (or there's the traditional "spot" "rover" ...)

Who is this Geo-fairy? It doesn't leave any puppies around here! Can you check to see if it's a boy or girl? that will help with the name thing. Rat terriers are like miniature Jack Russells... :anibad: Will you take it GEOCACHING in INDIANA?

Geo-pup doesn't have a name yet, any ideas??  He is a Rat Terrier.

he's sooooo cute!

Who is this Geo-fairy? It doesn't leave any puppies around here! Can you check to see if it's a boy or girl? that will help with the name thing. Rat terriers are like miniature Jack Russells... <_< Will you take it GEOCACHING in INDIANA?

Well He's a HE :o

The Geo-puppy Fairy, better known as, Darling Husband.....who is currently in the Doghouse... brought puppy home from a friend's. Seems mommy dog became very ill and was unable to continue nursing, so "little guy" is only about 5 weeks old. He and his litter mates have been "farmed out" to friends to nurse and hand feed for another couple of weeks. This "little guy" is really doing well, for being SO small, he is quite coordinated and lively. I can tell he is going to be a little ball of fire. The deal is we can give him back in a month or so (Yeah, right!) or we can keep him :o He is going to make a great GEO-DOG

Lots of changes to the site the past couple of days. "Trackables' are now being COUNTED.... WHOO-HOO! :o

OH, WOW, i JUST FOUND OUT, THIS IS COOL, GOOD FOR isq'S: iF YOU HOVER YOUR CURSER OVER THE IMAGE ICONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CACHE <_<:o PAGE, YOU CAN SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

Just some FYI...

Mightymules and I set out a new cache for SUNSET POINT CACHE (near Delphi IN), since it was missing and the owners have seemed to abandon it. It was too far out for one of us to try to adopt, and the location had to be changed (only by 4 feet) due to the place it was in has either fallen off or been chopped off. If anyone lives near this area and wants to adopt it the opportunity is there. Thanks!

Mightymules and I set out a new cache for SUNSET POINT CACHE (near Delphi IN), since it was missing and the owners have seemed to abandon it. It was too far out for one of us to try to adopt, and the location had to be changed (only by 4 feet) due to the place it was in has either fallen off or been chopped off. If anyone lives near this area and wants to adopt it the opportunity is there. Thanks!

That's within my range, so I would be willing. However, I will defer to Team Shydog should they choose to adopt it as they are a bit closer and already have a couple of ISQs nearby.

Just some FYI...

Mightymules and I set out a new cache for SUNSET POINT CACHE (near Delphi IN), since it was missing and the owners have seemed to abandon it.  It was too far out for one of us to try to adopt, and the location had to be changed (only by 4 feet) due to the place it was in has either fallen off or been chopped off.  If anyone lives near this area and wants to adopt it the opportunity is there.  Thanks!

We live only 8 miles from this cache and found it in July, 2004. We would be willing to help keep an eye on it, but unless the owners want to relinquish the cache or have clearly abandoned the game (they've visited the site as recently as October), actually adopting is not really possible or appropriate.

JMHO

YMMV :blink:

Mrs. Car54

but unless the owners want to relinquish the cache or have clearly abandoned the game (they've visited the site as recently as October), actually adopting is not really possible or appropriate.

10-4, the reason I said it might be a possibility was because according to the logs it hadn't been found since May 1, 2005. It looks like they live in lafayette, so maybe someone (if they were interested in adopting) could email the team and see if they would be willing to give it up for adoption, since they may not get to this area very often and the cache might be a burden on them. Thanks for the feedback!

I forgot to say "thank you" to the mules and the beaver :anitongue: for replacing a container that had gone AWOL. It's nice when the community looks after each other like that!

Mrs. Car54

yeah, but sometimes you get nervous about doing so, since there are definitely cache owners out there who are very touchy about others "touching" their caches. One cacher in Evansville has several caches that have been "temporarily disabled" since last spring. They aren't replacing the caches or archiving them, and they've also made it quite clear that they do NOT want any one else touching them It's weird - if you aren't going to replace the cache, and you do not want any one else to fix it, then why not archive it? (one's been disabled for 11 months, so it seems like they've had enough time to fix the problem, or that the problem is major enough to deserve considering a more long-term solution)

I went to a cache once....actually twice and found two caches within 15 of each other. I assumed that someone was trying to replace a cache they couldn't find. Do I have point????NO. I didn't really care, signed both logs and moved on....What was I saying?????nevermind

Ever heard ShineDown 's cover of lynard Sknards "Simple Man"? It's on now and it's throwing me off my train of thought.

My posts don't make any dam sense, I'll never be a moderator. peace

A cache shouldn't be disabled for that long, Beffums. It's against the guidelines. Post an SBA or contact the local reviewer. From browsing caches, I'd say most reviewers give up to 3 months, depending on the situation and the hider. They definatly don't give 11 months. Somehow, these caches must of flown under their radar.

From guidelines:

"You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing."

Edit: My 75th post was, I hope, useful.

Edited by dougsmiley
A cache shouldn't be disabled for that long, Beffums. It's against the guidelines. Post an SBA or contact the local reviewer. From browsing caches, I'd say most reviewers give up to 3 months, depending on the situation and the hider. They definatly don't give 11 months. Somehow, these caches must of flown under their radar.

From guidelines:

"You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing."

Edit: My 75th post was, I hope, useful.

yeah, but I think the cache is likely a really good cache - I just want them to replace it. I don't want to pick a fight with them.

I think people in general would be more willing to help out with each others caches if you could consistently trust that the owner wouldn't send nasty e-mails later. I never mind replacing a log, if I have one, or replacing the cache even, should I know it needs to be done. And, I'm fine with anyone replaing any/all of one of my caches if the need arises (I'll send an embarrassed "sorry!!!!" email, but I'll also really appreciate it). I just have found that not all cache owners have that perspective on things. (heck, some get offended if you so much as mention in your log that the cache was wet)

anyway, props to eagerbeaver for replacing the cache - we need more cachers who do so. (and, your post was helpful) :anitongue:

June 29, 2005 by Team Shydog (531 found)

I was looking at some local caches and I noticed the last couple of entries. The cache owners have not logged on for close to a year, they seem to have lost that caching feeling. I had a couple of containers left over from the Spring picnic so I put a new cache together and replaced the old, stinking, water-logged one with the new one. New log and swag. I want to see how this type of container holds up so this will be a test as well. Hope all enjoy it.

I will keep a closer eye on it.

Chris-Team Shydog

Monticello, IN 47960

[view this log on a separate page]

April 16, 2005 by 501_Gang (552 found)

Cache was opened and out of it's hiding place. Cleaned it up some, placed the remaining contents in a baggie and hide it a few feet from the original coodinates. Log book was missing so we left our name on a piece of paper.

T: Frog

L: Pencil & Geo button

Owner might want to relocate this one.

May 20, 2005 by Team J&K (1568 found)

Very nice walk back by the river. We found cache mostly exposed. We put in a logbook, took nothing, and rehid the cache so that it was completely covered. Hopefully it won't get muggled again. Thanks for the nice walk.

These are all quotes from M-teams (around Winamac, IN) caches. I am honestly not trying to be negative or bring any kind of negativity to this forum, but these are some more situations in which abandoned caches are only up and running because of other cachers taking care of them for the good of the sport. I understand that reviewers cannot possibly read every log for every cache there is, but I am agreeing with Beffums opinion that some cachers need to either poo or get off the pot. Nothing further. Again, no negativity, I just had to get this off my chest, now I'll be fine. Thanks for letting me vent. :anitongue:

June 29, 2005 by Team Shydog (531 found)

I was looking at some local caches and I noticed the last couple of entries. The cache owners have not logged on for close to a year, they seem to have lost that caching feeling. I had a couple of containers left over from the Spring picnic so I put a new cache together and replaced the old, stinking, water-logged one with the new one. New log and swag. I want to see how this type of container holds up so this will be a test as well. Hope all enjoy it.

I will keep a closer eye on it.

Chris-Team Shydog

Monticello, IN 47960

[view this log on a separate page]

April 16, 2005 by 501_Gang (552 found)

Cache was opened and out of it's hiding place. Cleaned it up some, placed the remaining contents in a baggie and hide it a few feet from the original coodinates. Log book was missing so we left our name on a piece of paper.

T: Frog

L: Pencil & Geo button

Owner might want to relocate this one.

May 20, 2005 by Team J&K (1568 found)

Very nice walk back by the river. We found cache mostly exposed. We put in a logbook, took nothing, and rehid the cache so that it was completely covered. Hopefully it won't get muggled again. Thanks for the nice walk.

These are all quotes from M-teams (around Winamac, IN) caches. I am honestly not trying to be negative or bring any kind of negativity to this forum, but these are some more situations in which abandoned caches are only up and running because of other cachers taking care of them for the good of the sport. I understand that reviewers cannot possibly read every log for every cache there is, but I am agreeing with Beffums opinion that some cachers need to either poo or get off the pot. Nothing further. Again, no negativity, I just had to get this off my chest, now I'll be fine. Thanks for letting me vent. :lol:

I'm guilty of ignoring mine in that area (Wellwater Yew Dune II) ... My current work schedule and finances don't give me very many opportunities for long trips.

...I am honestly not trying to be negative or bring any kind of negativity to this forum, but these are some more situations in which abandoned caches are only up and running because of other cachers taking care of them for the good of the sport. I understand that reviewers cannot possibly read every log for every cache there is, but I am agreeing with Beffums opinion that some cachers need to either poo or get off the pot. Nothing further. Again, no negativity, I just had to get this off my chest, now I'll be fine. Thanks for letting me vent. :lol:

Yep, I agree. Most owners, I suspect, appreciate it when someone helps them out with cache maintenance. Others, as Beffums said, can be pretty touchy about anyone messing with their caches. We've been known to clean up a cache, add a log book when the initial placement didn't have one, removed and replaced a wet log (this was trickier, but we e-mailed the owners and arranged to mail the ruined log back to them and they were very nice/appreciative about it).

In one case, based on many previous logs as well as an e-mail we received from another cacher, we decided to replace an entire container. For something that drastic, though, we e-mailed the owner first and waited for their permission. Since they were still an active cacher, we didn't make any overture about adopting the cache, but we did put it on our watchlist since we feel rather "parental" about that cache now. :lol:

No real point here - just sharing our experiences.

Mrs. Car54

P.S. If anyone finds one of our caches in trouble, feel free to fix it up if you like, but be sure to e-mail us or note the problem in the log, so we can get out there and check up on it.

P.P.S. We love GEOCACHING in INDIANA!!

ec2e6a06-bda1-441b-bc24-b4ed17682b08.jpg

We are always VERY , VERY thankful for help maintaining our caches.

There is a small series of caches in our area in really neat locations. The owners have been AWOL for two years. Many cachers have maintained and even totally replaced (ourselves included) their caches over that two year span.

Now, inexplicably, they are back, and visiting their caches and claiming smilies on them!!! Good for them! They haven't posted any thank-yous that I've seen, but it's all good... :lol:

Welcome back to CACHING IN INDIANA!!

:lol::P:D

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

Reviewers can push through adoptions on abandoned cache. I've heard of this happening before.

Geocaching help:

"

In a situation where the cache owner does not respond in an adequate amount of time (within 4 weeks, but your mileage may vary), contact your local cache reviewer with:

The waypoint name for the cache (GCXXX), and

any history you have in your attempts to contact the owner, or

any history of the reason for adoption"

Don't be silly! I have found that one three times and it is good shape (Last I knew) but if you ever want somebody to check on it, I drive past it about two times a week, so shoot me an email if it ever needs to be checked out. :lol:

I'm assuming you're responding to my post ... if so, ... I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out next time you're in the area. I have no idea when I'll be able to get back up that way.

That's a cache I've enjoyed a lot. The DOT crew found it shortly after I placed it and have been keeping an eye on it for me on occasion. I once went by there nad they had cleaned up the whole are EXCEPT for the pile of brush hiding my cache.

There will be a Washington State cacher logging in a bunch of ISQ's tomorrow and/or Thursday. He was very impressed with the series.

ummm yea that would be me.

Looks like I got 5, but I am sure that I got at least another 5 in cemetaries that were not part of the series.

They were great, it really is good to see the people venerating their dead.

Keep up the great work guys.

Andrew

ec2e6a06-bda1-441b-bc24-b4ed17682b08.jpg

We are always VERY , VERY thankful for help maintaining our caches.

There is a small series of caches in our area in really neat locations. The owners have been AWOL for two years. Many cachers have maintained and even totally replaced (ourselves included) their caches over that two year span.

Now, inexplicably, they are back, and visiting their caches and claiming smilies on them!!! Good for them! They haven't posted any thank-yous that I've seen, but it's all good... :drama:

Welcome back to CACHING IN INDIANA!!

:blink::):blink:

hey - I'm having flashbacks to one of the other forums and a discussion about whether or not you can claim smilies on your own hides. This might be one example where it makes sense - when you go back to "re-adopt" them back into the fold. :blink:

It sounds like your part of Indiana has a great geocaching community. hopefully we'll find or way up there come summertime.

(we're in evansville. for us, everywhere in indiana is "up there").

hi all. is it sad that I actually just re-read all 40 pages of this thread, just to try to cheer myself up a bit by thinking about geocaching in Indiana? I'd just finished reading a long thread about a cache appeal, and it literally had me crying, as (while I'm willing to believe this might not be the case, it certainly is the impression I received) it appeared that the appeals process is simply a joke. that the majority of reviewers do not bother to even consider what is written.

Thank you Mountain Climber. It's good to know that we have a reviewer we can write to and ask questions of, and that you'll do everything you can to help us understand why you decide what you decide. edit: even if we don't always agree, at least you listen to us. I know the others likely do too, it just doesn't normally seem like it.

sigh, time to try to remember why I liked this sport an hour ago. :drama:

Edited by Beffums

Hey Beff....Don't get down. No matter what, you can always go caching. Some caches/cachers are good and some are bad but you will always be outside enjoying yourself seeking them. I've been criticized for questioning the politics of this game but I have realized that all that is not really important. Maybe it's just part of the GAME. A lot of things in life are a "joke", the key is to not let it bother you. My advice, to anyone, when it comes to geocaching is enjoy yourself, your family, your friends, your dog, nature, the bologna sandwich in your pack, or whatever, and forget about any and all BS that may go along with it. I'm a rookie in this game but thousands of finds doesn’t make your opinion more valuable than mine. Here's a question for ya, why would you let an opinion / comment of someone you don't even know or ever met bother you? That person is not important in your life. Keep caching and forget about these beeyatches.

Hey Beff....Don't get down.  No matter what, you can always go caching.  Some caches/cachers  are good and some are bad but you will always be outside enjoying yourself seeking them.  I've been criticized for questioning the politics of this game but I have realized that all that is not really important.  Maybe it's just part of the GAME.  A lot of things in life are a "joke", the key is to not  let it bother you.  My advice, to anyone,  when it comes to geocaching is enjoy yourself, your family, your friends, your dog, nature, the bologna sandwich in your pack, or whatever, and forget about any and all BS that may go along with it.  I'm a rookie in this game but thousands of finds doesn’t make your opinion more valuable than mine.  Here's a question for ya, why would you let an opinion / comment of someone you don't even know or ever met bother you?  That person is not important in your life.  Keep caching ...

thanks, I needed that. And, I just finally got around to checking my fortune cookie from yesterday. "those who endure most are rewarded most" not sure that I've really "endured most", but between the two, I'm feeling better.

Now, to plan some geocaching in Indiana for after I'm done in the office tomorrow.

edit: minor snip to keep the patrollers happy

Edited by Beffums

We went Geocaching in Indiana today ... Went to an Event even and found some other caches in the area . Lots of fun with lots of very special cachers ... and a fair number of the Grand Exhaulted Order of the ISQ's were there as well ...... When we went to do the event caches I think we may have glimpsed "The Shadow" .. but I cannot be certain ....

LeadDog ..Did you get a glimpse of him to by any chance ?

Star

Ok, this is carrying over from a different thread in the forums, but it does have to do with caching in Indiana -- congratulations to Team Tigger for winning one of the top avatar sticks -- they look amazing! (maybe we'll meet at an event for caching in indiana in the future, and I'll get to see it some day)

Congratulations to sTAR AND wULF of Team Tigger for winning the hiking stick!

Also, thanks to Lord Elwood and KidCrazy for a great Meat and Greet event in Ft. Wayne, INDIANA, a meeting of the North East INDIANA GEOCACHERS.

If the SHADOW was there, I didn't see him. You will know him by his black fedora and red silk scarf... <_<

Ok, this is carrying over from a different thread in the forums, but it does have to do with caching in Indiana -- congratulations to Team Tigger for winning one of the top avatar sticks -- they look amazing!  (maybe we'll meet at an event for caching in indiana in the future, and I'll get to see it some day)

HUH????? <_<

Wulf

hmm, either you hadn't been following the thread where your avatar won, or there are two team tigger internationals, OR, you can't relate it to caching in indiana. I'll guess it's the third. SO, see, I figured, you'd be using the hiking skick when you would go out caching, in Indiana -- see, it fits, right? :P

Ok, this is carrying over from a different thread in the forums, but it does have to do with caching in Indiana -- congratulations to Team Tigger for winning one of the top avatar sticks -- they look amazing!  (maybe we'll meet at an event for caching in indiana in the future, and I'll get to see it some day)

HUH????? <_<

Wulf

hmm, either you hadn't been following the thread where your avatar won, or there are two team tigger internationals, OR, you can't relate it to caching in indiana. I'll guess it's the third. SO, see, I figured, you'd be using the hiking skick when you would go out caching, in Indiana -- see, it fits, right? :P

Just never figured I'd find out about it here first.<g>

Look for it make the rounds of the events we attend. Maybe we'll borrow Son of Cyclop's idea and make it a TB.

Wulf

HUH????? B)

Wulf

hmm, either you hadn't been following the thread where your avatar won, or there are two team tigger internationals, OR, you can't relate it to caching in indiana. I'll guess it's the third. SO, see, I figured, you'd be using the hiking skick when you would go out caching, in Indiana -- see, it fits, right? B)

Just never figured I'd find out about it here first.<g>

Look for it make the rounds of the events we attend. Maybe we'll borrow Son of Cyclop's idea and make it a TB.

Wulf

oh - sorry to spoil the surprise! <_<:D:P oops

but still, congrats!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAR!!!!

Also , this note about GEOCACHING in INDIANA:

As some of you may know, the venerable BUDDAMAN (What is a "budda"?) was the very 1ST accountholder to find an ISQ cache. Well, DOUGSMILEY is the

****900TH*****

Oh, and by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAR!!!

:unsure:

Congratz Doug!!!!

Congratz Buddaman!!!

Happy birthday and congratz Star!!!!!

Say, Lead Dog, can we get an updated list of ISQ finds?