Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

Quick ?

Whats the deal with the wooden coins that have peoples names? I found another one today - you supposed to leave them? Take them? Collect them?

Paul

They are called signature (or sig ) items. You can take or leave as you choose. I prefer to let the cache owner have a shot at them unless I see that the item has been in the box for a while.

Quick ?

Whats the deal with the wooden coins that have peoples names? I found another one today - you supposed to leave them? Take them? Collect them?

Paul

Sig items left in a cache are fair game for anyone who wants to trade for them. Lots of cachers like to collect sig cards, tokens, wooden nickles, coins and whatnot. Leaving and Collecting sig cards and tokens provides for a link among cachers who have visited the same cache. Seven steps to Torry, eh? :D

Quick ?

Paul

Sig items left in a cache are fair game for anyone who wants to trade for them. Lots of cachers like to collect sig cards, tokens, wooden nickles, coins and whatnot. Leaving and Collecting sig cards and tokens provides for a link among cachers who have visited the same cache. Seven steps to Torry, eh? :D

Just watch your step when following the dog-cachers. Wouldn't want to sign the wrong log.

Got this email today and thought I'd share it with the GEOISQ people since it's addressed to them:

Hi Lead Dog and fellow Team members,

Genius Loci and I just returned from a three day trip (10-14 through 16) to

your area where we concentrated mainly on your series again! Despite not caching

at night this time, we nabbed 92 of them mainly near Fort Wayne and had a

beautiful weekend to enjoy driving throught the countryside during harvest. You

may recall that we did your series last September (when there were a lot

fewer...) and nabbed 42 of them - we also did some maintenance on them at the

time....

Well we had another GREAT weekend hunting them (and a bunch of your others,

too) and really think you've done a great job putting such a large series

together. Genius Loci and I (team name - Idiot Savant)have a series of 99 caches

north of Chicago called the BoB's (as in 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall) and we

know first hand how difficult it is create and then to maintain so many of them.

Our's are not spread out as far as yours and have been done via auto (in as

little as 6 hours), bike and rollerblades.

I meant to contact you before we set out but my free time disappeared rooting

for the White Sox - I hope you don't mind but we brought empty film cannisters

and those slightly larger opaque/white screwtop bottles (papsmear containers)

just in case we could help out with maintaining them- I even printed up some

1.5" x 11" lined log sheets to replace any full or wet ones.

Turns out we replaced 12 missing containers (only those previously noted

missing OR were obviously gone - we actually had a NF or two also). We also

placed at least a dozen more new log sheets into full logged or soaked logged

containers. I never thought we'd actually go through using 25 new log sheets -

but happy I printed out so many in hindsight.

I hope to get around to logging them soon (and GL is notoriously slow at

logging his caches - he's way over 4000 now)but wanted to pass on the list of

ones we tended to while there....

GEOISQ thanks Hutt and Genius Loci for their generous cache maintenance!!

Go White Sox!! B)

Just a short informative talk on the IDNR policies and how they compare and relate to other states.

I was just commenting on the "paranoia" part of the title - not quite sure what message that is intended to convey, that's all.

Mrs. Car54

Self-governing free populations have always been fearful or "paranoid" of uniformed authority that they have no control over. This fear reaches as far back as the Roman Republic, when triumphant Generals returning from war could enter Rome to be feted, but not at the head of their armies. It was Julius Caesar who broke with this law, Crossed the Rubicon with his army and ended Civilian control and founded the Roman Empire.

That is why we have a second amendment to our constitution, so we have the ability, if need be, to overthrow a government that becomes tyrannical, by force of arms. That's exactly what our founding fathers did. That's why our police forces, municipal and county, are generally headed by local elected officials.

In the last few decades of the last century, our national police forces, FBI and BATF, for example, began taking on the trappings and equipment of a military force, and began killing civilians and this gave rise to the organization and training of civilian militia groups. Somebody in government was wise enough to reign these roque FBI and BATF leaders in. In recent years, the Border Patrol and the Immigration Service have wielded powers that scare some Americans. And since 9-11, the scale has tipped in favor of reduced freedoms for the civilian population, whether neccesssary or not, at the hands of uniformed and armed entities, and many Americans are watching this trend with concern.

Our national Armed Forces are under the authority of elected Civilian Authority, the President. And our state National Guards are under the authority of elected state Governors.

Americans trust their local cops and deputy sheriffs, because these forces are comprised of their friends and neighbors, and they can remove their local sheriff by the electoral process should he displease them. But state cops, national cops, federal game wardens, anybody with a uniform that we don't know and can't vote out of office, we are leary of, whether the danger to our freedoms from them is real or imagined.

"Paranoia"? Maybe. But Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty.

That , and most Americans don't like somebody telling them what to do, who isn't paying them to do it, other than of course, their wives and teenage children.

Lead Dog made me say this. B)

I was just commenting on the "paranoia" part of the title - not quite sure what message that is intended to convey, that's all.

Mrs. Car54

Ok, went to the source for this one...this is a quote from a member of the IDNR:

"Paranoia was chosen because of the over reaction by some cachers to the permitting and policy making in parks regarding geocaching. Several geocachers that have provided feedback to permitting policies feel that this is the beginning of the end of the sport we all love...geocaching. The IDNR is working very hard to accomodate the activity of geocaching into state owned properties. Unfortunately this means that there does need to be a few guidlines to protect the natural resources that they are charged with protecting. I will be going over our need for the policy as well as explaining the policy step by step. I will also compare the IDNR's policy with the surrounding states policies."

I guess the main reason for the word is that it sums up a lot of the reactions that this division of the IDNR has received since incorporating their policy. While I do understand that this is not the reaction of ALL geocachers, this program is designed for those that DO have this reaction, which has been a large percentage of what they have been hearing. It also allows those that do have a grasp of what the IDNR is trying to do get a better understanding. And besides, it fit well with the rest of the title for the program!!!

And besides, it fit well with the rest of the title for the program!!![/font]

Yes, I did ascertain the alliterary allure of the phrase. B)

As to the IDNR response, that's pretty much the way I took it. FWIW, my opinion has been formed from my own direct discussions with 2 different property managers. Their "spin" was a bit different from Brad's. B)

Unfortunately, we had a prior committment for this weekend or we'd have been interested to hear a different IDNR opinion. Thanks for finding the answer to my question.

Mrs. Car54

Unfortunately, we had a prior committment for this weekend or we'd have been interested to hear a different IDNR opinion. Thanks for finding the answer to my question.

Mrs. Car54

Sorry to hear you can't make it...there is always next year. If there is a big enough interest, I would like to hold one in the spring as well...we will see.

You are welcome for the answer...Brad, fortunantly has been working hard to convince other IDNR employees that geocachers are not the enemy. Pokagon is actually helping a lot with this event. My hope is that other parks will see what is being done at Pokagon, and catch on.

Just a quick plug for us....

Windsor/Essex geolunch

Sure it's in Canada, but we've got Indiana, Ohio and believe it or not, the President of MiGo attending.

Wulf

The president of MIGO? Shouldn't he be attending that world Summit on how to make more flu vaccine with bush and blair? We'd be there but Lead dog says we'd have to swim across a big lake that's more than 12 miles wide, and if he can't see a landmark on shore, he just keeps swimming around in big circles, cuz his right arm is stronger than his left, and oh, well...We can't speak Canadian, eh? Who's taking care of Precious while your off getting drunk on Canadian brew, anyway, huh? Poor little doggie. :D

We'd be there but Lead dog says we'd have to swim across a big lake that's more than 12 miles wide, and if he can't see a landmark on shore, he just keeps swimming around in big circles, cuz his right arm is stronger than his left, and oh, well...We can't speak Canadian, eh? Who's taking care of Precious while your off getting drunk on Canadian brew, anyway, huh? Poor little doggie. ;)

BigMamaD's taking care of the puppies. Min, she loves her MamaD. Precious wanted to spend the weekend in Bipus, but with her short legs, it'd take her a week to get there, assuming she didn't stop to bask everytime the sun came out.

If you got a bit further north, you only need to swim across maybe a 1/4 mile or river.

Wulf

OH, MYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit

the web site to change your watchlist settings.

Torry found Indiana Spirit Quest #158 Rockin Rails (Traditional Cache) at

10/20/2005

Log Date: 10/20/2005

Woo-woo!

Well. It had to happen someday. I have finally found my second ISQ cache.

I was out doing some re-po work and grabbed this little quickie.

So much for the record.

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ca-0d965b8e80fd

:(:(:(

What a great geocaching weekend.

Spent Saturday at the Pokagon event and caught a few caches with bgf and SixDogTeam. Team Shydog was there with his crew and I bet that that *The Shadow* was lurking somewhere among the trees.

Yesterday I attended a quasi-caching event at the home of tvnewsbiz in Carthage, IN (Rush County). ISQ was again well represented by WilliamsFamGC and Team Itchy & Scratchy.

It was a lot of driving, but the quality of the weekend will be hard to top.

Edited by Rupert2

just saw this on another page and thought it was funny

The Top 20 Reasons

Dogs Do Not Use Computers

...Courtesy of www.TopFive.com

20. Can't stick their heads out of Windows '95.

19. Fetch command not available on all platforms.

18. Hard to read the monitor with your head cocked to one side.

17. Too difficult to "mark" every website they visit.

16. Can't help attacking the screen when they hear "You've Got Mail."

15. Fire hydrant icon is very frustrating.

14. Involuntary tail wagging is dead giveaway they're browsing www . pethouse.com instead of working.

13. Keep bruising noses trying to catch that MPEG Frisbee.

12. Not at all fooled by Chuckwagon Screen Saver.

11. Still trying to come up with an "emoticon" that signifies tail-wagging.

10. Oh, but they WILL... with the introduction of the Microsoft Opposable Thumb.

9. Three words: Carpal Paw Syndrome.

8. 'Cause dogs ain't GEEKS! Now, cats, on the other hand...

7. Barking in next cube keeps activating YOUR voice recognition software.

6. SmellU-SmellMe still in beta test.

5. SIT and STAY were hard enough, GREP and AWK are out of the question!

4. Saliva-coated mouse gets mighty difficult to maneuver.

3. Annoyed by lack of newsgroup, alt.pictures.master's.leg.

2. Butt-sniffing more direct and less deceiving than online chat rooms.

and the Number 1 Reason Dogs Do Not Use Computers...

1. TrO{gO DsA[M,bN HyAqR4tDc TgrOo TgYPmE WeIjTyH P;AzWqS,.*

No offence to that hot dog loving Patrick.

Spent Saturday at the Pokagon event and caught a few caches with bgf and SixDogTeam.  Team Shydog was there with his crew and I bet that that *The Shadow* was lurking somewhere among the trees.

Today I attended a quasi-caching event at the home of tvnewsbiz in Carthage, IN (Rush County).  ISQ was again well represented by WilliamsFamGC and Team Itchy & Scratchy.

Congrats on having so excellent of a geocaching weekend. Unfortunately, mine was non-existent. My wife (Another Darned Cacher) was in the hospital this weekend after having an appendectomy. Fortunately, we caught it before it ruptured. She's home now, but still trying to recover. I suppose that while she's recovering, my geocaching adventures are on hiatus. :lol:

Spent Saturday at the Pokagon event and caught a few caches with bgf and SixDogTeam.  Team Shydog was there with his crew and I bet that that *The Shadow* was lurking somewhere among the trees.

Today I attended a quasi-caching event at the home of tvnewsbiz in Carthage, IN (Rush County).  ISQ was again well represented by WilliamsFamGC and Team Itchy & Scratchy.

Congrats on having so excellent of a geocaching weekend. Unfortunately, mine was non-existent. My wife (Another Darned Cacher) was in the hospital this weekend after having an appendectomy. Fortunately, we caught it before it ruptured. She's home now, but still trying to recover. I suppose that while she's recovering, my geocaching adventures are on hiatus. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your wife ! Glad she is recovering !

Star