Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

ISQ UPDATE:

As of this morning, 614 cachers have logged 7,069 finds on 309 ISQ caches, and we are proud to say Live Poison Ivy can be found, if you look hard enuff, on AT LEAST 176 of them!! :(

Ha ha ha ha ha ha..... aren't we funny... :rolleyes::laughing:

prolly more than that. :( I've just never really been in the mood to go and look for it :laughing::blink: lol

What's up Ev? Did you encounter that evil plant?? I'm still bearing literal scars from my run-in with poison ivy back in June.

Yes unfortunatly i think I found it while camping in southern In a couple of weeks ago. Did a few caches down there and found a lovely nest of ticks and chiggers. :laughing: Yeah us...

It is slowly starting to go away but not quick enough. I have it on all

appendages.(sp?) I haven't had Ivy for a long long long time. prolly over 5 years or so.... It's not being my best friend right now. lol.

Yes unfortunatly i think I found it while camping in southern In a couple of weeks ago.  Did a few caches down there and found a lovely nest of ticks and chiggers.  :laughing:  Yeah us... 

I have absolutely no problem with the poison ivy. I had first minor case just a couple of weeks ago. Only a little spot on my hand. For the most part I can bathe in it an not have problem.

The chiggers are another story. Since I have taken up geocaching I have been into those little buggers at least four different times since 2003. My last infestation, I believe, came from ISQ #177 Tory's Addition. He must have known I was coming and put out the Chigger Motels. Leave it to the pig to attract bugs.

At least the ISQs keep me out of the stinging nettles during the summer. YUCK!

Yes unfortunatly i think I found it while camping in southern In a couple of weeks ago.  Did a few caches down there and found a lovely nest of ticks and chiggers.  :lol:  Yeah us... 

I have absolutely no problem with the poison ivy. I had first minor case just a couple of weeks ago. Only a little spot on my hand. For the most part I can bathe in it an not have problem.

The chiggers are another story. Since I have taken up geocaching I have been into those little buggers at least four different times since 2003. My last infestation, I believe, came from ISQ #177 Tory's Addition. He must have known I was coming and put out the Chigger Motels. Leave it to the pig to attract bugs.

At least the ISQs keep me out of the stinging nettles during the summer. YUCK!

Sorry. I was out of Travel Bugs.

I'm still working on local caches, but I have at least 4 that I don't want to try until the vegetation dies down this fall. The logs mention poison ivy or lots of bushwacking. Is caching easier in the other seasons than it is in summer? I started last spring so I don't have experience in other seasons yet.

Each season brings its own special challenges- Summer, dense vegetation and ground cover and bugs and heat ; Winter snow cover and cold; Fall, dense cover of leaves on the ground and stupid new sit-coms on TV; I would say early Spring gives you the best advantage, and I know what I'm talking about becaause I have 3,600 finds. :mad:

I have 3,600 finds.

No, you don't, Pizza-breath.

Well 36, 360, or 3600 it's all more than me! I don't like fighting my way through a bunch of brush so I'm looking forward to the change of season.

As for the cold in the winter, my husband and I often hike in the winter. More than once we've celebrated New Year's Day by hiking at Potato Creek. Dress warm enough and keep moving!

I rate fall as my favorite time to cache. Next comes spring. Usually our caching slows down in the summer. too many other things going on. Winter time is a great time to surf the GC site looking at places outside my area that I would like to go to some time in the future. Four season fun.

OK, Shy, It's almost fall. Will you please hide a micro in the branches of the Weeping Willow in our front yard? Thanks, I knew you'd come thru. Just park in the lane, you can turn around in the yard. I'll be the little white dog on the side porch. Please don't wake me. Will it be this week, please? :laughing:

Is caching easier in the other seasons than it is in summer?  I started last spring so I don't have experience in other seasons yet.

I've noticed that thorns will stick ya just as much in the winter as they do in the summer :D .

Hey Taka: I did my share of stupid things when I was young and chalk it up to youthful exuberance, but at what age does common sense kick in??!! For my first few years of geocaching, I just bulled my way thru the thorns, allowing them to rip my clothes and flesh, relishing the blood and pain and sweat as part of the wonderful experience of caching. But this summer, a thorn stabbed me deep, below the knee, the area swoll up in a matter of minutes to the size of a golf ball cut in half, and I had a hematoma that didn't go away for six weeks... Now I have the same respect, gained thru experience only, not brains, for thorns that I do for poisoness smakes, ex-wives, and mortar rounds.... :laughing:;):);)

I've decided to set up a "5c Goodbye-to-Summer Lemonade Stand" under the willow tree for all geocachers and Geo-Dawgs who come to find Shydog's microin our front yard. ;)

Actually, you'll do nothing of the kind. Don't write checks your stinky dog butt can't cash. Now get off Junior's computer and go out and feed the cats. Don't make me come in there. :laughing:

(Team Shydog @ Aug 24 2005, 01:21 PM)

Patrick, I am still waiting for the cache I asked for back in July to be placed in my front yard. Not much of a WOW factor there I know, but my neighbor across the street is HOT!! 

That is Val across the street, right? 

Mrs. Car54

If you stand on the other side of the road it is. ;)

Just thought I'd say hello to everyone here.

I'm a recently started geocaching a little over 3 weeks ago and I am hopelessly addicted now. Just yesterday I reached the 50 find mark. Geocaching seems to be right up my alley since I recently graduated from Ball State with a BS in Geography. And, hopefully soon I'll be placing my first cache out in the wild. (I've been eying a few places lately. :anitongue: )

To bad all this talk about Geodogs kind of makes me wish my buddy Spike would come with me. But, unfortunately, he's scared to death of car rides. I believe he thinks he's going on a trip to the vet. :unsure:

And, to the fine folks behind the ISQ caches. Thank You!! I've really enjoyed each and every one that I've hunted. I even can't wait until the next time I have a day off from work to go out again and find some more.

Wishbone86

I'm a recently started geocaching a little over 3 weeks ago and I am hopelessly addicted now. Just yesterday I reached the 50 find mark. Geocaching seems to be right up my alley since I recently graduated from Ball State with a BS in Geography. And, hopefully soon I'll be placing my first cache out in the wild. (I've been eying a few places lately. :lol: )

To bad all this talk about Geodogs kind of makes me wish my buddy Spike would come with me. But, unfortunately, he's scared to death of car rides. I believe he thinks he's going on a trip to the vet. :laughing:

And, to the fine folks behind the ISQ caches. Thank You!! I've really enjoyed each and every one that I've hunted. I even can't wait until the next time I have a day off from work to go out again and find some more.

Wishbone86

Welcome to the addiction Wishbone !

Lately Work has been invading my caching time , in major ways ... But it hasn't stopped it alltogether !

Star

I'm a recently started geocaching a little over 3 weeks ago and I am hopelessly addicted now. Just yesterday I reached the 50 find mark. Geocaching seems to be right up my alley since I recently graduated from Ball State with a BS in Geography. And, hopefully soon I'll be placing my first cache out in the wild. (I've been eying a few places lately. :lol: )

To bad all this talk about Geodogs kind of makes me wish my buddy Spike would come with me. But, unfortunately, he's scared to death of car rides. I believe he thinks he's going on a trip to the vet. :lol:

Wishbone86

Time to start hiding caches, Wishbone. A real fertile place to begin, with many great possibilities would be Wabash County!!!

In order to get Spike to want to ride in the car, you've got to associate car rides with good things for him not bad. What is it he likes? Take him for a short ride, then reward him with his favorite thing, whatever it is-- a cat to chase, a dead thing to sniff, a hot dog to eat, etc. and have a word to associate with the good times-- He'll learn quickly, For example, two of Patrick's favorite things are his pet cats and popcorn. If I want him to stop growling and snaarling at me, I just say something like, "Patrick, I'm going to go play with the KITTIES and feed them POPCORN". His ears go straight up and he goes nuts, and he's suddenly my lost lost buddy, and putty in my hands... Does Spike understand English?Have wae seen a photo of him posted here?

Also, last night Wheeldog informed me I was in a background shot on Channel 15 News at Eleven last night. No, Torry ,I wasn't in an orange jump suit. I was waiting for a crowd to dissapate so I could hide ISQ #300 which was published last night. Patrick wasn't with me, because Dogs weren't allowed. .. I wonder if I was the first Indiana Geocacher caught candidly by TV cameras with a geocache hidden on him, waiting for the Grendlers to leave so I could stash it?

:laughing:

Welcome Wishbone! I'm a Ball State alumni too -- go Cardinals!

How old is Spike? When I got my Zoe, she was afraid of cars too -- just wasn't used to them. So I started taking her with me when I ran errands. Going to Menards? Take the dog too. She was always excited when I came back to the car, and then I give her a cookie. I used to take her to the pet store to pick out her own pig ears. One day we went to the craft store, and when I came out, she was sitting in the driver's seat. I figured she was used to the car then!

Thanks for the Welcome....

Sixdog Team - I think I'll start hiding caches in Northern Miami and Fulton Counties to begin with. Hardly any have been hidden up this way.

Thanks to everyone that gave ideas of ways to help Spike get over his fears of Cars. I'm going to have to try some here real soon.

Here's a Picture of the little guy....He's a little over 2 years old now and he loves to dig holes trying to get to moles....and coming inside smelling like he's been playing with Pigs.... :laughing:

d79.jpg

Hey Lead dog is there a admission fee to go see the wall that heals?

No, there is no admission charged and it is open 24/7 but only for friday saturday and I think sunday, then it moves on. You can, at your discretion, leave donations in collection boxes at the site if you desire to help defray the costs, but they are NOT placed in a manner that causes you to pass by them.... There are corporate sponsors, such as Harley Davidson Motor Co. and others. There are museum display cases on the sides of the trailer, and a book in the tent that you can look up the names inscribed on the Wall, so that you can locate specific names. The monument is an exact replica of the National monument except that it is black aluminum instead of granite and is 250' long (half scale). Frankly , it is not nearly as impressive as the one in Washington, but for those folks who will never get to see the original, it gives an opportunity to pay your respects to our fallen friends and comrads, and can be a moving experience... BTW, Pets are allowed in the Park, on a leash, but NOT at the memorial site... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Welcome....

Here's a Picture of the little guy....He's a little over 2 years old now and he loves to dig holes trying to get to moles....and coming inside smelling like he's been playing with Pigs.... :rolleyes:

So you know Torry? :P

Wulf

I don't play with dogs ... they tend to fall apart after a few practice swings.

I'm a recently started geocaching a little over 3 weeks ago and I am hopelessly addicted now. Just yesterday I reached the 50 find mark. Geocaching seems to be right up my alley since I recently graduated from Ball State with a BS in Geography. And, hopefully soon I'll be placing my first cache out in the wild. (I've been eying a few places lately. :( )

To bad all this talk about Geodogs kind of makes me wish my buddy Spike would come with me. But, unfortunately, he's scared to death of car rides. I believe he thinks he's going on a trip to the vet. :(

Wishbone86

welcome wishbone!!!!

I'm the will try anthing once falling up and down a waterfall trying to finda all the wrong ways to get to the cache cacher..!!! :wub: yeah me.

I think we need an ISQ update !

We haven't had one in awhile ... How bout it LeadDog ?

Star

Uh, OK. Lots and lots of folks have found lots and lots of ISQ's and some have found lots and lots in only one day. Most people like them. They are easy. We need more up in Tigger-Land, tho. Patrick hid a new waterfall cache a few weeks ago, but he hasn't listed it yet, and I've got about four new ISQ's hidden that I haven't written up yet. Ruper2's got a new ISQ out. The GATORS play their first game this coming weekend, against Wyoming. Florida is pre-seaon ranked #3 by Sports Illustrated, which we believe to be about 20 positions too high, but we'll see. The LOST first season DVD will be out in a week or so, I sure hope it doesn't cost sixty bucks, but I'm saving up. My baby Oak Trees have theirr first acorns! I wish somebody would hide some caches around here for us to find. If it wasn't for TRickworm, we'd never go caching. I want some walk in the woods caches at Salamonie, Huntington or Mississinewa reservoirs. Do you hear me? I lived thru a hurricane. Wheel Dog has sunburn and horrible itching. Patrick has a couple of lick granulomas on his feet and tail that we're battling. I found a brass harness ring in the fron yard with my metel detector Friday. We saw a bird yesterday. We have emailed Angelina Jolie's agent and asked her to come up here for a bbq. There are pigs grazing in the field, eating grass, I guess. I've been thinking of doing a real hard puzzle-multi cache that nobody can find except for Wulf, who I would give clues to. Will somebody come here and wash my truck? I know where you can get BROWN m&m tubes for micros, for only 33 cents each (AAND they have the cacny in them;kl jfkeiusjejfhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm

AS of this a.m., 629 caching groups have logged 7,329 finds on 315 ISQ caches. Here is the Top Forty:

1 SWEETIE PIE 242

2 PRAIRIE PARTNERS 177

3 J PLUS 14 170

4 TEAM TIGGER INTERNATIONAL 153

5 4DAMFAM 146

7 ITZME 135

8 BLUEGILLFISHERMAN 130

9 WILLIAMSFAMGC 128

10 WOLVERINE WARRIERS 126

11 ONE ANGEL & FAMILY 125

12 BUDDAMAN 124

13 JUST MEE 116

14 PHOTOBUG2 110

15 HOLEN1 106

16 LOLOLOCO 105

17 AWSOME EV 98

18 DEERMARK 94

19 KIDCRAZY 88

20 PHAROAH'S MAN & EAGLE EYE 82

21 TWO NUT CACHES 81

22 TRICKWORM 76

23 DAGGY 73

24 TEAM RAMFIRE 69

25 INDYMAGICMAN 58

26 BARNABY JONES 56

27 TEAM SHYDOG 54

28 SASSYKAT 53

29 BBSURVEYORS 52

30 PINESTRAIL 51

31 (LOS) XILE 50

32 CACHECOMMANDO 49

33 2TRUX 47

34 TEAM SALBEN 45

35 DR. BOB 43

36 KRISNJOE 43

37 PURPLEMARTIN2 43

38 SOUTHLANDERS, THE 43

39 OLDTIMERS 42

40 GENIUS LOCI 41

41 HUTT 41

:ph34r:

I'm going to check out the train.

But I don't know if I should go north or south to see it???

INDIANA HISTORY TRAIN :: October 6-29, 2005

Locations Sponsors Volunteer

Story of the Indiana History Train History Train home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join the Indiana Historical Society and The Indiana Rail Road Company at the Indiana History Train, sponsored by Chase.

Three 65-foot refurbished freight cars will roll into four Indiana communities with a unique traveling exhibition, The Faces of Lincoln. The exhibition features dozens of images from the Indiana Historical Society’s Lincoln collections and explores the many ways Lincoln’s image was presented during and after his lifetime.

Visitors can begin with a brief orientation about the train, then tour The Faces of Lincoln while the train remains stationary. Hands on activities for families and students will be available and a Lincoln presenter will help visitors learn more about Lincoln’s life. Visitors also can enjoy the film “Young Lincoln” and purchase Lincoln-related items at the depot gift shop.

Beginning October 6, 2005, the Indiana History Train will travel to the following locations:

October 6 – 8 Wabash

October 13 – 15 Elkhart

October 20 – 22 West Lafayette

October 27 – 29 Muncie

Free and open to the public from 9 am to 6 pm

Free parking

Wheelchair accessible

No reservations necessary for individuals and families, although boarding is first-come, first-served

For more information, call (800)447-1830

Youth and Group Reservations!

Schedule daytime visits to the Indiana History Train for your school or adult group. Groups of 10 or more should call (800) 447-1830 at least one week in advance. The tour is free, but limited spaces are available.

I'm going to check out the train.

But I don't know if I should go north or south to see it???

INDIANA HISTORY TRAIN :: October 6-29, 2005

Locations Sponsors Volunteer

Story of the Indiana History Train History Train home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join the Indiana Historical Society and The Indiana Rail Road Company at the Indiana History Train, sponsored by Chase.

Three 65-foot refurbished freight cars will roll into four Indiana communities with a unique traveling exhibition, The Faces of Lincoln. The exhibition features dozens of images from the Indiana Historical Society’s Lincoln collections and explores the many ways Lincoln’s image was presented during and after his lifetime.

Visitors can begin with a brief orientation about the train, then tour The Faces of Lincoln while the train remains stationary. Hands on activities for families and students will be available and a Lincoln presenter will help visitors learn more about Lincoln’s life. Visitors also can enjoy the film “Young Lincoln” and purchase Lincoln-related items at the depot gift shop.

Beginning October 6, 2005, the Indiana History Train will travel to the following locations:

October 6 – 8 Wabash

October 13 – 15 Elkhart

October 20 – 22 West Lafayette

October 27 – 29 Muncie

Free and open to the public from 9 am to 6 pm

Free parking

Wheelchair accessible

No reservations necessary for individuals and families, although boarding is first-come, first-served

For more information, call (800)447-1830

Youth and Group Reservations!

Schedule daytime visits to the Indiana History Train for your school or adult group. Groups of 10 or more should call (800) 447-1830 at least one week in advance. The tour is free, but limited spaces are available.

Let's all go down and see it in Wabash! We can hide a micro on it! maybe a magnetic keyholder...

Have you ever wondered what ISQ guys are doing at night?  Here is some insight:

efb4999e-f4ee-4065-8ee7-f49462cd3528.jpg

Yes, they all have have new logs and ftf prizes in them.  I have a school bus buried in my backyard with thousands more inside.

You need to put out a few of those in South Central Indiana! :unsure:

I heard the GEOISQ Leader was looking for additional recruits in that area.

:huh::D:D

You need to put out a few of those in South Central Indiana! :)

I did and they were just few miles off your doorstep! Do you have any idea how much work it takes to find a cemetery in Lawrence County that does not already have a cache in it. I probably spent 3 hours just going over topo maps and coordinating the the GC site just to find six sites that did not already have caches. You guys are dead serious down there.

Now that I think about it, you have one AWESOME cemetery cache that is just screaming to become an ISQ. That would be Gilgal Cemetery. I have project going in Heltonville and could not pass it up. WONDERFUL site with lots of history including an origional Rev War grave complete with origional SAR flag holder.

Edited by Rupert2
You need to put out a few of those in South Central Indiana! :)

I did and they were just few miles off your doorstep! Do you have any idea how much work it takes to find a cemetery in Lawrence County that does not already have a cache in it. I probably spent 3 hours just going over topo maps and coordinating the the GC site just to find six sites that did not already have caches. You guys are dead serious down there.

Now that I think about it, you have one AWESOME cemetery cache that is just screaming to become an ISQ. That would be Gilgal Cemetery. I have project going in Heltonville and could not pass it up. WONDERFUL site with lots of history including an origional Rev War grave complete with origional SAR flag holder.

There are more cemeteries than the ones in Lawrence County. I know we have already placed caches in alot of Lawrence County, but there are several more that are without caches. All I was getting at is we really like hunting ISQ caches. Maybe we can talk more at the fall picnic. :)

IM USING THE G.M.'S SITE BECAUSE MINE IS ON THE FRITZ.

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS FORUM. I AM BASED OUT OF NE INDIANA WHERE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE ENJOYED THE "SPORT" FOR A YEAR OR SO. I HAVE READ SOME THINGS ON HERE REVOLVING AROUND NOT MAINTAINING CACHES AND OVER SATURATION. MAYBE MY INITIAL IDEA ABOUT GEOCACHING IS WRONG, SO I WILL ASK THE WORLD FOR THEIR OPINION. MY WIFE FOUND AN ARTICLE ABOUT G C IN A MAGAZINE AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN FOR THE FAMILY. SHE WAS RIGHT. I BOUGHT A LITTLE E-TREX AND WAS OFF. THE 8 & 4 YEAR OLD WENT CRAZY ABOUT THAT FIRST M-60 CAN WITH SOME MARDI GRA BEADS AND LITTLE TOYS INSIDE. WE WERE HOOKED AND COULDN'T WAIT FOR OUR NEXT OUTING. MY WIFE AND I WORK OUR TAILS OFF SO WE RARELY GET THE TIME TO "GET OUT" LIKE WE WISH WE COULD.

IN THE BEGINING THE CACHES WERE ALL LIKE THE FIRST, AND MY KIDS TOOK PRIDE IN COLLECTING LITTLE TIDBITS TO TRADE. WE WOULD HIKE AROUND LEARNING ABOUT NATURE (AND LAND NAV) SEEKING OUR PRIZE. WE REALLY DIDN'T CARE ABOUT HOW MANY WE FOUND, IT WASN'T ABOUT KEEPING SCORE. CITO CAME INTO PRACTICE AND WE TOOK PRIDE IN CLEANING UP OUR SACRED MOTHER. WE LOVED WHAT WE WERE DOING SO MUCH THAT WE SPREAD THE WORD AND CONVICNCED OUR FRIENDS TO TRY IT......HOOKED.

I FEEL THAT THIS PAST TIME (NOT SPORT) IS RAPIDLY BECOMING CORRUPTED BY THOSE WHO HAVE LOST THE SPIRIT OF GEOCACHING. THERE IS NO POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW. THE TREASURE HAS TRANSFORMMED INTO A 35MM FILM CANISTER. I AM NOT BASHING MICROS, THEY HAVE THEIR PLACE SUCH AS BUILT UP URBAN PLACES AND AREAS WITH HIGH MUGGLE TRAFFICK.

I FEEL LIKE THIS SIMPLE LOVABLE PAST TIME IS BEING OVER RUN WITH EGOTISTICLE PEOPLE WHO GAGE YOU BY YOUR "STATS". i HAVEN'T PLACED A CACHE YET BECAUSE I HAVEN'T FOUND THAT PERFECT SPOT THAT WILL CHALLENGE THE MIND AND SPIRIT. I HELPED ANOTHER CACHER PLACE A CACHE IN MY AREA THAT IS A TOTAL ADVENTURE AND SO FAR PEOPLE LOVE AND RAVE ABOUT IT. JUST ONE. AROUND HERE THERE IS A 35MM FILM CANISTER EVERY 500 YARDS. MY KIDS AND I HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN THROUGH THE WEB SITE JUST TO FIND ONE "REGULAR" CACHE. WHERES THE FUN IN A FILM CANISTER?

7.62 CANS ARE READILY AVAILABLE, OR MAYBE A COFFEE CAN WITH SOME MC DONALD LAND TOYS INSIDE. WHEN WE PULL UP TO A GRAVE YARD MY KIDS DON'T EVEN GET OUT OF THE CAR ANYMORE.

I HAVE AN IDEA, DESIGNATE A SITE FOR COMPETITIVE "RACE" CACHING AND LEAVE THE ORIGINAL GEO-CACHING SITE FOR QUALITY KID FREINDLY, FAMILY OUTING, KIND OF GEO-CACHING THAT EVERYONE WILL APPRICIATE AND TALK ABOUT.

SO WORLD, THERE IT IS. IF YOU CHOOSE TO EXPOUND ON THIS SIMPLE NOTION, FEEL FREE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, IF SO IT WON'T BE THE THE FIRST TIME. I MIGHT EVEN GO OUT AND BUY AN X-BOX AND STAY INSIDE.

TEAM PRETORIUS