Indiana Cachers Hello !

Team Tigger International

You can pick up film canisters at any film processing place (wal-mat, drug strores, etc.) They usually just toss them out anyway. Just ask the clerks at the counter and they will often give you a bunch.

Many people use the film canisters for cache-in-trash-out (CITO) containers but others use them for micros. They are generally waterproof enough to survive our spring thaws although I have certainly run across my share of wet soggy moldy ones.

:)

When you've thrown 90 film cans, plus replacements, 87 cents adds up...I've started putting lead in em so I can fling em further, and the wind won't blow them around once they land. And they ARE waterprooof it the cap is snapped on properly. It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent people can't screw a lid on, close a tupperware tightly or close a ziplock--it's not rocket surgery. Altho I guess i've done my share of stoopid things in this life...Glad to hear we're getting new counties added to the ISQ--we are up to SIXTEEN COUNTIES now, with Morgan County by Rupert2 and the five I just threw out the window in Allen County. :) BTW:

B)Some lame jerk has copied our style and has started a "Indiana Bridge Quest" series of caches about iron bridges, the copycat. Who cares about those ugly old things anyway? They ought to tear them all down and be done with it. Why does the approver let him use our deal ? Quest is our word!:):DB)

See: Walking with the Dead

I would hardly call that a copy other than the theme of the series. The one line description makes it just another lame micro...

I agree. Despite 6dog's jokes about "throwing" the canisters out of the window, he and his team really do a good job with the ISQ caches. Any bozo can grab a film canister, stuff some paper into it, put it anywhere and call it a cache (like the above.) SixDogTeam does not do this. Instead he takes the time and effort to make the placement meaningful. Kudos on a class act.

Before anyone gets too upset over "copycat" caches ... there have been several themes in the Hoosier state .. the Winnigham boys and others had a covered bridge series going years ago and many are still active.

Besides ... "Imitation is the finest form of flattery."

Before anyone gets too upset over "copycat" caches ... there have been several themes in the Hoosier state .. the Winnigham boys and others had a covered bridge series going years ago and many are still active.

Besides ... "Imitation is the finest form of flattery."

I'm stating a new series "Indiana Pig Farm Quest" taking you on a voyage of discovery of modern swine facilities. :ph34r:

Besides ...

Torry TOrry Torry , I don't think we were getting all upset over copycats .. and I agree

"Imitation is the finest form of flattery."

And to LeadDog about the Swine Series :ph34r::huh::cry::cry:

Star

I would still like to know were ISQ #100 is??? :huh:

If you ask me, I think lead dog forgot where he hid it, and won't admit it. He went off and hid a few by himself while I was at my doggy scuba diving class. Now he's done with cemeteries and he's all goofy about these stupid Bridge Caches. Last night he was filling a bunch of peanut butter jars full of logs and plastic soldiers, and that doesn't look like ISQ stuff to me.. :ph34r:

The Tiggrs have now bounced on up to third place on the all time Indiana Spirit Quest find-total list. They are knocking at the door of Buddaman (Who is still :D trying to find the secret cache page for #100--should we tell him where it's at?) and Bluegillandcrappieandbassfisherman... :D:D:o

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The weed of crime bears bitter fruit! Crime does NOT pay! THE SHADOW knows!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

YOU BETTER QUIT YANKING MY CHAIN <_<  ;)  :D  AND TELL ME NOW!!!

OK,OK--ISQ #100 is reserved exclusively for GEOHISQ* members. Since they can never complete the series, since they can't log their own hides, this cache is a secret perk only to them. Only they know how to find the cache page and log a find on it, or retrieve the silver coins contained therein. :rolleyes:

*Grand Exalted Order of the Hiders of the Indiana Spirit Quest

YANK!!!!

Edited by SixDogTeam

I don't post often, but it appears that this forum has gone to the dogs. Just kidding. In late December a friend and I hit most of Patrick's waterfalls caches below the dam at Salomonie. It was a great trip with fantasitic frozen waterfalls and fine hiking. Patrick seems to pick out very scenic spots off the beaten path. If he is like my terrier, that is because he chasing some rodent or large bird.

Soon I'm heading to Owen-Putnam State Forest. It appears that there are several caches around. Are there some that are must visit from a scenery or pleasant hiking standpoint? I live in Fort Wayne, so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with that part of Indiana. :rolleyes:

I hit most of Patrick's waterfalls caches below the dam at Salomonie. It was a great trip with fantasitic frozen waterfalls and fine hiking. Patrick seems to pick out very scenic spots off the beaten path.

Thanks for your kind words about my Waterfalls. I'm a :huh: mud magnet :o , so if there's water nearby, I'll sniff it out. I even found a waterfall while Lead Dog was hiding a film can in a cemetery!! As for your park, we don't know anything about it, maybe some of the south state lurkers can help out?? :o

With this visit and this post, we have now equaled, at 3,448 the number of viewings of that other thread that we were kicked out of. And we passed them in replies quite a while ago... Oops, must not fail to mention something about geocaching: I am Earthdog Patrick and I like to ride in the truck and hunt and hide geocaches, and on the way home snooze and dream about girl weiner dogs... You can see a picture of me in the truck on the latest ISQ cache page--Number 129.

ISQ ALERT: Rupert2 just reserved 4 more ISQ numbers...

For the past few weeks Genius Loci (who has over 2,000 finds) has been writing his thoughtful found logs on over 40 ISQ's he found last fall. For those of you interested in finding or hiding caches in this series, his log on Number One may be of interest:

Genius Loci

Log Date: 9/5/2004

(It was ironic that we visited here at cache #1 last, and I trust that

SixDogTeam won't mind if I reserve this cache log for my general thoughts about

the entire series...)

Hutt, Mattster and I had wandered down from Illinois for a late summer's caching

weekend when we stumbled across the Indiana Spirit Quest series. We didn't come

specifically for these caches, but as we found more and more of the ISQ hides,

we soon began to seek them out. What a wonderful series this is!

All too often, I've read posts in the Geocaching.com forums written by folks who

aren't comfortable with caches located in cemeteries, and who would ban such

placements. Perhaps that's because they view the activity of geocaching as

being essentially frivolous, or even disrespectful. I would ask such people to

hunt a few of the ISQ caches for themselves before making such a judgment. If

anything, this series will prove that geocaching, when approached as a vehicle

for learning about and appreciating our environment and history, is anything but

a flippant, sacrilegious pastime.

For it was geocaching which stirred us to visit these hallowed locations,

immersing us in intimate, personal communication with the actual landscapes our

forefathers loved so dearly. The cache description's historical notes were also

key to our appreciation, as they opened the door to more than just the brief

glimpses into the hearts and minds of our predecessors that are retained on

their faded tombstones.

As we found ourselves visiting these humble resting grounds one by one, our

thankfulness and esteem for our ancestors, our country, and our planet grew

stronger and stronger. For scattered across the beautiful Indiana countryside

are all the lessons anyone needs to develop a healthy respect for our

forefathers, the lands the have left us, and the wisdom they held dear. Here

the monuments (both old and new, grand and humble) still speak to those who take

the time and trouble to visit them, and often, it is geocaching that brings

their audiences hence.

To ban geocaching in such places would only serve to diminish that activity

until it is indeed nothing more than a frivolous game. If that ever happens, we

shall cease our participation, and continue to seek out the special places on

our planet without benefit of the guidance so thoughtfully provided by local

cache placers. We pray that day will never come

Our thanks to all the Indiana Spirit Quest cache placers, may your invitations

to visit the shrines of our ancestors never go unheeded!

I just found out one bad thing in regards to the ISQ caches: the pictures take up way too much room in my PDA. I least I suspect that it is the ISQs. I'm off to Goshen-land tomorrow and while loading up the GPSr and Palm with the nearest 450 caches (many of which are ISQs) the poor Palm ran out of memory space. Ah well, that what happens when a cache series is well documented.

:D

I just found out one bad thing in regards to the ISQ caches: the pictures take up way too much room in my PDA. I least I suspect that it is the ISQs. I'm off to Goshen-land tomorrow and while loading up the GPSr and Palm with the nearest 450 caches (many of which are ISQs) the poor Palm ran out of memory space. Ah well, that what happens when a cache series is well documented.

:grin:

I guess our PDA's are simpler then yours RPW , we do not load the pictures , just the text , with the last few logs . :rolleyes: Best of Luck to you on your ISQ hunt! Yer about to come really close to Part of Team Tigger Land .... Keep on Bouncing !

Star

I guess our PDA's are simpler then yours RPW , we do not load the pictures , just the text ...

That is what I ended up doing. My geocaching PDA -- cost $50 so I don't care if I fall into the creek with it -- only has 2 MB memory and so had to go picture-less. I also loaded up my non-geocaching PDA -- cost $400 but lots of memory and color -- with the pictures and text.

My wife and I didn't have time to do any geocaches on the way up to Goshen -- we are up north to attend a funeral instead of to have fun -- but while she was driving I turned on the GPSr and told her about the caches we were passing. She was interested in the ISQ caches because of the history behind them. Our conversation around Warsaw went something like this (I probably don't have the ISQ numbers correct):

(me) "Passing ISQ #66" ... read a bunch of description out load to her

(her) ... some questions and clarifications ...

(me) "Passing ISQ #67" ... read a bunch of description

(her) ... some comments ...

(me) "Passing ISQ #68" ... read bunch

(her) "What does the Hatfield/McCoy feud have to do with that?"

(me) "Don't know, guess it was because someone named Hatfield was buried there."

(me) "Oh, we are coming up to a non-ISQ micro"

(her) "What does it say?"

(me) "On the boat ramp at Carr lake"

(both of us): "Lame description!"

Anyway, the ISQs are fun even if we can't look for them. Good car conversation.

(me) "On the boat ramp at Carr lake"

(both of us): "Lame description!"

Patrick and I enjoyed the cache at Carr Lake. It's a scenic spot, and we got to observe a pair of gigantic water fowl taking off from the surface of the lake, their wing tips beating a tatoo on the water, as they strained to get lift, and the sound of their half-honk grunting in effort--it's an interesting nature image which stays with us until this day. The cache page description seemed adequate to us for what the cache location entailed... :ph34r:

[Carr Lake] It's a scenic spot, and we got to observe a pair of gigantic water fowl taking off from the surface of the lake, their wing tips beating a tatoo on the water, as they strained to get lift, and the sound of their half-honk grunting in effort--it's an interesting nature image which stays with us until this day.

Sounds wonderful. Too bad the 6-word cache description did not elude to this. Otherwise we might have stopped.

While people local to an area tend to hit every cache around -- lame description or not -- visitors to an area rely heavily on the cache description and sometimes the logs in deciding which caches to seek out. The ISQ cache are wonderfully descriptive and are tempting to seek out. Or to use a water-themed basis, the BearGrass Creek cache description is also tempting. If we had driven back on 15 yesterday when we had more time for caching we probably would have gone to the ISQs and BearGrass Creek. As it is we hit other caches on a different route. In any case the Carr lake description of "Placed at carr lake boat ramp" just does not entice the visitor. Now that we have your personal recommendation we will put the Carr Lake micro on our to-do list.

Hey wulf! Have you ever felt a Jack Russell? We're hard as a ROCK--we're like dogs on steroids! That train is lucky it didn't get derailed! Lead Dog says if I'm ever stoopid enuff to run in front of a train, don't look to him to pay any vet bills...

speaking of Lead Dog, he's all on this Iron Bridge jag, so we're out riding around after he photographed this one he knows about and we got sort ofgot , uh, not LOST ,but you know we don't exactly have any earthly idea where we are and it's too cloudy for the sun and we finally get onto a highway and lo and behold I say" HEy! we're only a few miles from your ISQ #100 cemetery", and lo and behold there it is and so he says it must be fate, so he turns in and parks and gets out and leaves me in the truck. He comes back after about a half hour saying he found a grave for a War of 1812 vet he didn't know about, blah blah blah so I say did you hide the cache? and he says no. WHAT? He still has some more stuff to find that he knows is there, and we'll have to come back. It's a BIG BIG cemetery and we didn't have the data with us he needs to find some special graves (plus snow drifts are covering a lot of stuff... So I guess Buddaman :( will have to wait a while longer. I can tell you it will be a multi-stage puzzle cache... ;) But don't worry, he's running out of bridges...

;):huh:;)

Thats good :(

When Lead Dog gets done with the iron bridge thing,let us know when he is going to start "THE STOP SIGNS OF WABASH COUNTY" caches ;);):huh::P;)

But all kidding aside I really like doing all of his caches, You put alot of effort and some good history i would have nevered learned if I never went after your caches.

thanks again.

Edited by Buddaman
Quick question, is there interest in an Indiana Geocoin?

But of course there is intrest in an Indiana Geocoin ... Why do you have one ?

Star

I am trying to guage interest in designing and minting one. I would like a few, but given the cost, it's either go in with a group or pay a chunk of money yourself.

Quick question, is there interest in an Indiana Geocoin?

But of course there is intrest in an Indiana Geocoin ... Why do you have one ?

Star

I am trying to guage interest in designing and minting one. I would like a few, but given the cost, it's either go in with a group or pay a chunk of money yourself.

We would be interested in the coin if we liked the design and the cost was reasonable. Give us some scenarios, with estimates of the cost per coin. :blink:

Just peeking in. Gonna try and get to some of Rupert2's new ISQ caches near Mooresville / Martinsville ... Hopefully have some finds to write up tomorrow.

Torry,

Check the listings again before you head out. I have four more wating approval. Three of them will be just a short drive to the north in Hendricks County. If Mountain Climber holds true to form, they might be approved by tomorrow morning. ;)

And they said Pigs can't fly !

brabazon.jpg

The first historically recorded flight of a pig took place on British soil, at Leysdown in Kent in 1909. The pig was carried aloft by J.T.C. Moore-Brabazon, later the First Lord Brabazon of Tara, in his personal French-built Voisin aero plane.

The pig was placed into a wicker basket, which was in turn strapped to a wing strut of the aero plane. A hand-lettered sign attached to the basket read: 'I am the first pig to fly.' Brabazon purposefully carried the pig aloft, thereby disproving the long help opinion that 'pigs can not fly.'

mainlink.gif

Porkopolis

For all kinds of Piggy Info !

Star