Is There A Problem With The New 60cs 3.6 Firmware?

jcc123

Hi folks, I downloaded the new 3.6 firmware last Friday and updated my 60cs and it stopped working! When I first uploaded I noticed that the power on and off took longer than the usual 2-3 seconds. The next day it won't power on at all!

I had to send the unit back to Garmin on Monday. Anyone else have problems after 3.6????

I got my 60cs back from Garmin with lots of repairs and upgrades. They even gave me a new screen! Is there any better device support, anywhere?

Two days later got the massage that a new version 3.6 was out. Fixed one thing, no expanationof exactly the problem was. IIRC Baud Rate change?

Thought is was strange they did not give me the latest version. Now I'm glad.

Doesn't Garmin have the old version at their web site?

-

Greenjeens

I just wanted to pass along my recent experience with Garmin. I have a 60CS and have tried to be very careful with it. During a caching trip to Hansen Dam, I had it in the pocket of some tight jeans while scrambling over the rocks for about 30 minutes. When I found the cache and took out the GPS, I was shocked to see that it had been rubbing against the belt clip (leather covered except for one small, evil location) of my Pocket PC and had deep scratches in the screen. I tried the recommended scratch remover to no avail. I finally let my brother in law use his buffing wheel which got most of the scratches but separated a layer on the screen leaving it readable at certain angles but with an annoying shadow in sunlight. I was resigned to using it this way when I noticed that occasionally the unit would turn off by itself. I don't know if this was related to my 3.6 upgrade or not.

I called Garmin and they said that it sometimes happens with rechargable batteries but they cheerfully gave me an RMA number. I did not mention the screen since it was my fault (but I was hoping they would replace it).

I returned the unit and within one week I had my unit back with new battery contacts and a complete new screen and keys. It is the same serial number so I did not have any map software license hassles and had all my data was intact. Total charge: $0.00

Needless to say, I am very happy with Garmin's service and would recommend them to anyone considering a new GPSr.