From Newbie - Does this have a name?

sueover

Hi,

I am a real newbie...My GPS unit should come in the mail tomorrow. I am looking forward to my first hunt this weekend.

In reading lots of stuff here on the website, it got me to thinking about my first cache. My first one will definitely be very basic (after I've done at least 10 finds), but for a more complicated one (which requires doing homework before setting foot), I thought about using the web. For every website, there is an associated IP address which is very similar to longitude and latitude coordinates. Using that IP address (say 192.151.53.86), it will take you to that website and I will ask you a question, like how many letters in the last name of one the founders of that company, and that will be one of the numbers in the final coordinates. You can also do it backwards, which would require some pinging software.

Is this too complicated, or would people enjoy this type of webhunt before taking off for the cache? I would have to choose very stable websites or keep checking on them. Has someone thought of this before and does it have a name? Maybe I should keep reading..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for any help

While some folks might find it annoying I think it is a fine idea. Especially if all the directions are given on the cache description page. I dont think a cache could ever be considered to complicated because everyone has the right to choose to seek or not seek such caches. The wife and I are implementing an IP address into a cache we are preparing and it will be a very complicated cache I expect only a handfull of finds per year. Bring it on!

Just remember. Getting there is half the fun...

I really appreciate your enthusiasm and your creativity. That's awesome.

As was already mentioned, this might make for fewer visits to your cache, but hey - that's the accompanying characteristic of caches with a difficulty rating of higher than a 3! icon_smile.gif The coolness factor would be high.

When you eventually get this all together, would you mind coming back to this thread and posting the cache for us to check out?

-----

You must be present to win.

Just to clarify a couple of technical problems....

1) While it is true that every website has an IP address, every website does not necessarily have a UNIQUE IP address. Virtual hosting allows a webserver to use one IP for many many domains. Depending on how the webserver is configured, or how you setup your cache, people could get different sites for the same IP.

2) IP's change. Thus the primary reason for DNS. IP changes are more common than you might realize, especially with the rate that telecom co.'s are going out of business these days.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea. Just wanting to make sure you don't go through a lot of work to have something change and you have to do it all over again.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -George Burns

some peope just like twisted puzzles. you go for it. just be sure to let the finder know he's in for it.

i've just placed a really complex multi. the only information i've given in the discription is that it's going to be a long difficult haul. there are a lot of people who like these puzzles who consider any other information to be spoilers.

a cache with a low difficulty rating ought to have a clear description. for difficult caches, you're on your own. i see 4 or above for difficulty, i expect anything. cryptos, rebuses, historical research, whatever. bring it.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by flat_lander:

Just to clarify a couple of technical problems....

1) While it is true that every website has an IP address, every website does not necessarily have a UNIQUE IP address. Virtual hosting allows a webserver to use one IP for many many domains. Depending on how the webserver is configured, or how you setup your cache, people could get different sites for the same IP.

2) IP's change. Thus the primary reason for DNS. IP changes are more common than you might realize, especially with the rate that telecom co.'s are going out of business these days.

Hmmm.... maybe sueover should use the MAC address then? Every computer using TCP/IP to access the net has a unique MAC address, it's hardcoded into the network card. You'd have to have an packet sniffer to grab the network packets and decode the MAC address though.

That'd be too devious, I think icon_biggrin.gif

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.