Are Gpsr Affected By Cold Temperature?

Redeyesi

I was out caching yesterday in Switzerland where the temperature is currently about 2 deg C, and I noticed the unit was responding very slowly compared to warmer temperatures. Im using a eTrex Vista C.

Also, what kind of abuse can these units get away with? I dropped mine a couple of times, with no external damage, and it seems fine. Any experiences?

Cheers!

LCD displays always get slow when it's cold. Batteries run out of power much more quickly when it's cold too. I was out looking for a cache where the owner wanted a picture posted with the log - I had two fully charged batteries in my camera, and I could only take two pictures before it died (it was around 0°C).

Also, what kind of abuse can these units get away with? I dropped mine a couple of times, with no external damage, and it seems fine. Any experiences?

Cheers!

Since many gps units are designed for outdoors use, they can take a bit. I mean its not good to do, but unless your unlucky enough to have it land screen first on a rock, or over a long drop, it probably won't kill it. I once had my old 'gold' etrex take a nose dive off the top of the car, over across the hood and onto the pavement in Palo Iowa. I stupidly left it on top of the car after coming back a from a hike, I got in and drove out of the park, and a couple blocks threw town, when I got to the other side of the town to the this stop sign I hit the brakes and hear 'scrath scrap thud THUD' as the gps and attached compss go bouncing off the hood and onto the side of the road. I'm really glad the speed limit there was only like 30mph (even though the gps was probably going a bit slower than that). Got out went and picked up the gps, expecting it to be toast, but found only some minor scratching on the plastic (hey that big rubber ring piece is good for something!). Turned on fine, and showed no long term effect. The compass on the other hand, had no apperent damage, but developed a bubbled after than and ended up being replaced a few months later after turning up fluidless :huh: .

I won't tell you this is typical at all, but I do they can take a little bit of abuse!

No bets for how a pda would fair though, but how many of those are sold in sporting goods stores?

I haven't had my VistaC out into weather/temps extreme enough to cause problems yet, but I'm sure temp will affect it. With my sportraks, and b/w legend, I generally use LiMh or Lithium batteries in the cold weather. They hold up better at cold temps than alkalines. The screen generally goes blank if the unit cools down to around 0F, but they generally still record tracks. For the most part, I've found it generally takes a couple hours for the units to cool down enough for the screen to quit working. It's fairly easy to keep in in an inside pocket, or inside my coat hanging around my neck, only pulled out for when I need it.

One other thing you'll want to watch for is extreme heat. Both my Legend, and sportrak screens fade to black when they get too hot, as they sometimes will if you keep them on your shoulder while hiking some of the southern desserts. You basically run out of contrast adjustment. I'm not sure yet how the color displays will work in these conditions.

No bets for how a pda would fair though, but how many of those are sold in sporting goods stores?

I put my Palm in an otterbox and it's good to go just about anywhere. Waterproof, crush-proof, floats, and you can still use it.

Now that I think about it, you could probably put a little chemical hand-warmer in there to keep it warm in the winter! <_<

Highly recommended.

Regards,

Anthony

Making a pocket out of gauze (4x4 or 3x3 pads work well) taped to the battery compartment of the GPSr (or camera) to hold a 'hand warmer' packet will keep the batteries running. Use gauze as the hand warmer needs air to work.

I'd left my GPSr on the dash one hot summer day - the heat completely reset the unit. After cooling the unit I had to do a cold start - the date/time reset to 1980 (or something like that) - and reload the waypoints.