Track Your Washington Geocoins!

Seth!

Hi there. After days of almost no sleep, the WSGA coin tracking site is ready to go. Thanks to Bob of McLaughlin's Marauders for doing the real work. Yea, Bob!!!!

We have just made an important upgrade to the web site. In a manner similar to Geocaching.com, we now have Registered Users and Members. Members are registered users who have paid their membership dues and thus support the efforts of the association. (Such as keeping the web site going and having events.)

Both Registered Users and Members will be able to activate Washington State Geocoins and track them on the web site. You will also be able to update your contact information so that we can keep you in the loop.

IMPORTANT! If you have already signed up on the WSGA web site, you do not need to complete the registration information again. Simply go to www.geocachingwa.org and click on 'login'. Enter your geocaching user name and your temporary password. (If you did not get the e-mail with your temporary password, you are either not registered or we have an old e-mail address for you.)

If you bought any geocoins, you will be able to activate them with the activation code and serial number that come with the coins. Just get yourself registered on the site (if you aren't already) and away you go. People who find the coin will be able to log the movement of your coin as well--even if they are not registered users!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Seth!

WSGA VP & Webmaster :(

What happens if you can't remember your user name? :huh:

Should I make a new account?

I know it seems silly, but hea that's Pepper

Click the Contact Us and send a message. Seth! can look it up for you. It's *supposed* to be your Geocaching name. I'd guess at "Team SuperGenius" for you. But, you probably already tried that.

As always, Your mileage may vary...

Bob

McLaughlin's Marauders

The link on the main page is opening wrong. It opens in the frame with the navigation bar redrawn. When this happens I cannot seem to get to the tracking page. Had to right click and open in new window to get it to work correctly...

Also agree that you should be able to log where you left them, not just where you found them. I tried Found in mailbox and a note for where I left it, but also get

Server Error in '/WSGA' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Edited by bazzle

Is there a way to locate a WA state geocoin, besides stumbling on to one in a cache? I realize these coins are not being tracked on gc.com like the Moun10bike coins are, but can the geocachingwa.org site be modified to add a feature where you can type in coordinates and you can get a list of nearby caches with coins in them? This may take some fancy programming, and I'm not a programmer, but thought I'd ask.

"Is there a way to locate a WA state geocoin, besides stumbling on to one in a cache?"

"...able to log where you left them, not just where you found them[?]"

In a word, no. Okay, I'm sure it could be done (anything is possible) but don't look for that happening on the WSGA site any time soon. This is more like "Where's George" in that you can see where a particular geocoin (or dollar bill) has previously been but not the geocache (or bank) in which it resides. On the other hand, if someone steps forward with a server and the time/technology to develop such a feature, we'll be happy to get them started.

As for the other error messages mentioned above, we'll get our crack team of Bob and Seth! working on it.

:mad::mad:;)

"Is there a way to locate a WA state geocoin, besides stumbling on to one in a cache?"

"...able to log where you left them, not just where you found them[?]"

In a word, no. Okay, I'm sure it could be done (anything is possible) but don't look for that happening on the WSGA site any time soon.

You can get a limited trackability if you check out http://www.travelertags.com which is where the PA geocoins are tracked through. Looks like you can get 5 free tags, and a they're a buck a piece if you pay for 10 tags. Personally I found the site pretty tough to work with though, took me quite a while to register that one PA coin. On the good side, they 'do' have a search-by-zipcode hooked into TigerMaps, assuming people really register and log them.

I can't log the coin I traded for today. It's already registered and here's the error message:

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

I get the same server error everytime I try and log the WA Geocoin I found from EGH's cache. I suppose you could buy TB tags and send them out that way. They will be trackable on Geocaching.com, but then you are out more $$$$. I think that might be the way I go, so they aren't lost and forgotten.