Little Help With Lyrics?

flask

was probably stolen

Folk songs are not stolen, they are handed down(recycled, in newspeak). My recollection on "The Streets of Laredo" is that it came from the Irish "Poor Unfortunate Rake". I could be wrong about this, and it wouldn't be the first time. Both songs are supposedly about a young man's demise from vd. :(

I just looked at your post again. Is it possible that "sirhowy hill" is Sir Howy Hill? It's also possible this is short for Howard Hill.

Edited by Cholo
i'm looking for the text of the song "sirhowy hill", which is a modern variant of the american "streets of laredo" which in turn was probably stolen from you guys anyway.

my searches are coming up blank. any help?

Streets of Laredo is a cowboy version of the "young soldier cut down in his prime" song of which I know of several varients, but not the sirhowy hill one. Sirhowy is in Wales, that much I know. My usual folk music searches have come up blank, however. Have you heard this recorded or sung by a certain artist? That might be a good place to search. Check out the BBC Folk on 2 radio program website (er www.bbc.co.uk, I think) which has lots of decent links.

I have had a bit more of a delve, and I believe that the song may have been written by Max Boyce, although I could not find you the lyrics, just the one line 'and the flowers are blooming on Sirhowy Hill'. Does this ring any bells. If the place exists, has anybody put a cache there yet? If not, why not?! :huh: