Mission Project Ape Caches?

avroair

I would assume that first you would have to get the cache owner to unarchive the cache. THEN, if you managed to do that, you and the cache owner would then both have to send an email (someone else will post the exact address, I'm sure) and have the ownership transfered.

I would assume that first you would have to get the cache owner to unarchive the cache.  THEN, if you managed to do that, you and the cache owner would then both have to send an email (someone else will post the exact address, I'm sure) and have the ownership transfered.

Actually, cache owners can't unarchive things. Only approvers (and other GC folks) can do that. But you are pretty much correct that you need to contact the original cache hider and ask them permission to adopt the cache (if they are still active cachers). Then have the original hider request the cache to be unarchived. Then have them ask to transfer ownership to you.

It sure would be easier to just hide a memorial cache in the same basic location as the original. I mean, you aren't really creating a "project ape" cache with cool planet of the apes movie swag... :(

--Marky

I would assume that first you would have to get the cache owner to unarchive the cache.  THEN, if you managed to do that, you and the cache owner would then both have to send an email (someone else will post the exact address, I'm sure) and have the ownership transfered.

Actually, cache owners can't unarchive things. Only approvers (and other GC folks) can do that. But you are pretty much correct that you need to contact the original cache hider and ask them permission to adopt the cache (if they are still active cachers). Then have the original hider request the cache to be unarchived. Then have them ask to transfer ownership to you.

It sure would be easier to just hide a memorial cache in the same basic location as the original. I mean, you aren't really creating a "project ape" cache with cool planet of the apes movie swag... :(

--Marky

Yes, but still... the original cache owner has to do that. They're the ones that have to ask that the cache be unarchived. You can't just email an approver and say "hey, fly has an archived cache, can you unarchive it?" I'd have to do that.

As for the easier part - some of us would like to have a project APE icon on their cache finds list, but with them few and far between..........

Perhaps this new owner would at least make the theme monkeys?

As for the easier part - some of us would like to have a project APE icon on their cache finds list, but with them few and far between..........

Yes, they're hard to find.

Putting an ammo box out where there used to be an Ape cache isn't an Ape cache. You can't just "make" an Ape cache.

Perhaps you could just log a false find on some legitimate Ape cache. :(

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

I just looked at the active Project Ape caches of the ones that are still up, only one has the project ape icon. I will be within caching distance of two of the others this week and was going to make a special trip over, just to get the icon, but it looks like the one in Washington state is the only one that would give you the little Project Ape icon. Anyone know why this is?

Edit to add:

I just looked at the profiles of the folks that found these when they first went out, they do not have credit (as far as a project ape icon) in their profiles, even though they have found a project ape cache. Seems a little unfair, any chance of getting the project ape icons back on these caches.

Edited by Monkeybrad
Edit to add:

I just looked at the profiles of the folks that found these when they first went out, they do not have credit (as far as a project ape icon) in their profiles, even though they have found a project ape cache. Seems a little unfair, any chance of getting the project ape icons back on these caches.

Some still do. I was the third person to our POTA cache here in Atlanta (should have been second, but I stopped to talk to the first finder while he was walking out and got a picture of his FTF prize). When I look at my profile I see one found POTA cache. Now all I need to do is find an Earthcache so I can have one of every kind of find once again!

I was referring to the ones that are still active, but have had their icon changed from Project Ape to traditional. I wish the Georgia one was still there, trust me I would have already gone after it.

The one in Illinois is now listed at a Traditional...it's a neat cache even if I don't get one of those fancy icons on my stat page.

It just struck me as odd that the GC #'s are apparently the same, but that all but one of them was now listed as a traditional. As far as the icons go, I would think that it would be frustrating for folks that had chased a cache and had gotten the icon to lose it. I know that our buddy Joe put us through hell and back for the early jeeps and a Moun10 bike coin. I honestly chased them, because I wanted to see one, and I wanted the icon on my profile page. In both cases I was successful. These reasons are why I want to find a project ape cache, I want to see one and I want the icon. I am sure that I will chase an earthcache in the same way a** soon as one pops up within range. I know that if after chasing down that coin, I would hate to lose the icon, I assume that the hunters of the project ape caches feel the same way.

And what kind of icon do I get if I hid one?

Mission 12: Blind Canal

(That's the one Stunod was talking about)

The people at Fox Studios have long since given up on being involved in these Project APE caches. I would think if you want to set one up at the same location, I would call it Return to the Planet of the Apes or something like that, and make a link to the original APE cache page.

Those links and my personal story on my APE placement can be found here.

And what kind of icon do I get if I hid one?

Mission 12: Blind Canal

(That's the one Stunod was talking about)

The people at Fox Studios have long since given up on being involved in these Project APE caches. I would think if you want to set one up at the same location, I would call it Return to the Planet of the Apes or something like that, and make a link to the original APE cache page.

Those links and my personal story on my APE placement can be found here.

Question is why if you still have the original container is it not still listed as a project APE cache? I think once the container is gone it's a regular cache though.

AWESOME! The next time I am in the area (unless I can talk the gang into a special trip) you can count on having a monkey hunt your ape.

Now, if we can just get the other two that are still active changed, all will be right with the world.

Edited by Monkeybrad
Mtn-Man, what's the chance that we can get the Atlanta one replaced so those of us not near Chicago or Washington can find one?  Would you be willing to own a project APE cache?

I guess the question is - what makes an APE cache? Is it the location? The container? Definitely not the contents, as those have changed in the last 3 years.

If mtn-man or someone else placed a cache at those coordinates and even it was monkey/primate themed, would that warrant an APE icon?

I don't claim to know the answer to that question. I just want to know what everyone else thinks.

I would assume that the container makes the Project APE cache, along with the neat spraypaint job on the lid, and perhaps the logbook (if it still exists). Though the container should be sufficient.

In our office we have one of the original (unhidden) containers along with one of the logbooks.

I would think that the same rules of thumb ought to apply here as for any other cache.

If a cache is archived, and someone else later sets out a new container in roughly the same area, typically this gets listed as a new cache.

If a cache has a missing owner (like, say, 20th Century Fox) but it is still in place, then it can be adopted. There is continuity as to both the container and the location.

If a cache has a missing owner and is archived, but it has some special geocaching value -- like, say, any archived Project A.P.E. cache -- well, that is a tough call. In this case we are lacking the continuity of the original container, although the location can still be found. There have been a few examples where caches of this nature have been brought back from the archives under new ownership -- such as the very first cache hidden in a State or Country.

Thank you for returning Blind Canal to it's Project APE status. Any chance of getting GCEF7 and GCBA4 icons changed back?

Since you mentioned it, I would like to volunteer to hide the remaining container if you wish for it to be hidden. Although, you might want to hold on to it for the eventual Museum of Geocaching History.

... the neat spraypaint job on the lid...

In our office we have one of the original (unhidden) containers along with one of the logbooks.

How about a picture of it for those of us that got into the game a little too late to find a local APE cache?

It looks like I'll be going to Chicago someday in order to nab that sucker.

I managed to log Mission 7 last week, and love the new icon. :surprise:

Now I need to make my way to an earthcache too.

It sure seems like georgia needs one of those babies, maybe someone local will hide one. Someone that knows a good place on a Mtn. Man that would be cool.

Of course, I still have yet to find a letterbox hybrid or a benchmark, so I'm not quite finished with all the icons.