Waypoints vs/ Coordinates

Guest KB6RG

Guest KB6RG

Can anyone inform me of the way in which the Waypoints are generated for the cache logs in Geocaching.com? Is ther a list showing the relationship of waypoints to coordinates?

The alpha-numeric 'Waypoints' are shown together with the Lat & Long coordinates on each listing. I have looked through mountains of material, but I can find no connection between those Waypoints and the actual Geographic Coordinates.

HELP ! !

Thank you.....

Bob

Guest Ron Streeter

The waypoints you are talking about are just numbers assigned to the cache site you are looking at.

When I enter a cache site into my gps, I use a word that is appropriate to the hunt rather than the waypoint used by geocaching.com.

For instance, a cache site called Red Briefcase (one of mine) would go in as redbri or rbrief. It has to be no more than 6 characters (on most gps devices)but you can also put a "note" somewhere on the waypoint posting on most gps devices.

Does this help?

Guest KB6RG

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

The waypoints you are talking about are just numbers assigned to the cache site you are looking at.

When I enter a cache site into my gps, I use a word that is appropriate to the hunt rather than the waypoint used by geocaching.com.

Does this help?

I think I'm getting 'warm' and, as I now see it, you are telling me that I can enter a waypoint into the gps receiver, naming it "GCBF7" for N35 16.121' W120 40.998' so I can use the GOTO feature to find the cache?

Final item: How do the Lat & Long coordinates (above) generate the "GCBF7" code for that location?

Thanks, Ron

Bob -- KB6RG

Guest Ron Streeter

Yes...you can name it that, and then enter the coordinates for that name. But why do that when you can give it an English sounding word like Redone, or Green (or whatever is appropriate to the cache you are looking for)?

I guarantee you that if you leave the cryptic name in there for any length of time, you won't remember what it goes to.

Your next challenge will be getting an working with a waypoint management program like EasyGPS that will allow you to manage your waypoints on your computer. EasyGPS is available at geocaching.com. Look around for it.

Later....Ron

P.S. the name you are seeing (GB333) is generated at geocaching.com when the cache hider puts in his new cache. It is strictly a way that geocaching.com can keep track of the posted caches.

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 28 June 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

So, would I be correct to assume that the GC??? waypoint designation is basically just a serial number, or is there any greater significance there? (I haven't done any sort of analysis or anything to see if the cache's number (in the URL) is related to the waypoint.)

Guest Julian

There is some sort of relationship between the two. When I enter a waypoint cache name into my GPS (Garmin 12) I automatically get the coordinates (or at least ones very close) that are posted on the geocahcing website.

Guest rebobbitt

Yes, the cache number (i.e. 3381 for Mission 5) is just converted to its hexedecimal notation (D35) to get the id GCD35.

Question is, there are only 4096 combinations, so what's going to happen after GCFFF (4095 in decimal)?

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

So, would I be correct to assume that the GC??? waypoint designation is basically just a serial number, or is there any greater significance there? (I haven't done any sort of analysis or anything to see if the cache's number (in the URL) is related to the waypoint.)

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by rebobbitt:

Question is, there are only 4096 combinations, so what's going to happen after GCFFF (4095 in decimal)?

Actually, it would be 65,535. Most GPS units will take a waypoint ID of at least 6 characters. Still, that's a reachable number. It probably would have been better to use a base 34 scheme (0-9, and A-Z omitting I and O to avoid confusion). This would give a total of over 1.3 million possible combinations.

Of course, after reaching GCFFFF, there's no reason it can't go to GD0.

Guest rebobbitt

I was assuming a 5 digit waypoint name, I think some older GPS were limited to this. But you're right, if you go out to six characters, then it is 65,536 (not 65,535 if you include 0).

Rick.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Actually, it would be 65,535. Most GPS units will take a waypoint ID of at least 6 characters. Still, that's a reachable number. It probably would have been better to use a base 34 scheme (0-9, and A-Z omitting I and O to avoid confusion). This would give a total of over 1.3 million possible combinations.

Of course, after reaching GCFFFF, there's no reason it can't go to GD0.

Guest KB6RG

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Yes...you can name it that, and then enter the coordinates for that name. But why do that when you can give it an English sounding word like Redone, or Green (or whatever is appropriate to the cache you are looking for)?

I guarantee you that if you leave the cryptic name in there for any length of time, you won't remember what it goes to.

Later....Ron

P.S. the name you are seeing (GB333) is generated at geocaching.com when the cache hider puts in his new cache. It is strictly a way that geocaching.com can keep track of the posted caches.

Thanks, Ron == and ALL the other contributors.

I have a very good understanding, now. As a matter of fact, I tried out the method (entering a name & waypoint) and utilized the "GOTO" function this afternoon. Pretty COOL ! these little masterpieces of electronic engineering!!

Thanks to all of you,

Bob -- KB6RG

------------------

Bob -- KB6RG

on California's

Central Coast

N35°07.240' W120°37.300'