Finding Burned Copies Of Music, Etc In A Cache.

MTCache

I have recently found in a few caches, burned copies of programs for the computer, and music cds. Would/could this lead to legal problems w/ the government and/or big biz. I myself like the idea of sharing my favorite music w/ anyone who would like to listen to it. :P:huh::lol: In the case of the computer softs/progs, that I'm not so cool with due to viruses. :huh:

Anyones thoughts on this.

If you REALLY want to leave that sort of thing, there are a lot of open-source software products available whose authors encourage you to make copies and pass the programs on. All public domain stuff and a high proportion is of excellent value and functionality.

Perfectly legal.

There are many Trade Friendly bands out there. They have a silly belief that encouraging people to spread their music will somehow lead to people paying money to see them perform. Just crazy I tell ya!

Here is a link with all sorts of information on that subject:

Trade Friendly

I love leaving great legal music in caches for people to enjoy at home while enjoying a well earned rest after a full day of geocaching.

If you REALLY want to leave that sort of thing, there are a lot of open-source software products available whose authors encourage you to make copies and pass the programs on. All public domain stuff and a high proportion is of excellent value and functionality.

Yep, this is a good idea - I already have the 3 CDs for Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community burned and ready for my next cache. I see it more as a propaganda thing though, geocachers typically have access to the internet and can download free software themselves (although it may take a while for people without broadband connection).

Nitpicking: Open source is generally not in the public domain - somebody still owns it, but they allow everyone to share it.

Thanks for the link to Jeremy's thoughts, Markwell. A couple of weeks ago I ran across pirated CDs that I didn't think should be in a cache, so I traded for them and removed them. No fuss, just logged the trade, got rid of that particular swag.

All this, even before reading the Prime Cacher's remarks. :huh:

Some thoughts for music, though. MP3.COM has music to download, and I wrote MP3.COM and asked if they were put on a CD, marked MP3.COM and gave them away, if that was fine. The folks there said as long as the source was attributed and got folks to check into and hopefully purchase from their listed artists, they were quite happy with it.

As for software, speaking from a technical and security standpoint, you would be nuts to install anything you get from a stranger. Just my .02

Most free software distributions publish checksums on the net so you can verify that what you got from the cache is exactly the same as the original package.

I put home-burned CD's in caches. These CD's are invariably live content that is traded freely among the fans and encouraged by many bands today. It simply is not available in a store. I like sharing the music with others. I've also left home-made copies of my own band's CD's, but I have rights to that and my band is fine with it. Regular studio CD's probably shouldn't be copied and traded this way, but I don't think geocachers need to be the arbiters of moral turpitude though. If you don't want to break the law, don't. In any case, I've only been able to get a CD into about 1/2 of the caches I find.

I place collections of freeware in many caches, and they are often the next thing traded for. Here are some common sense rules I follow:

- I don't distribute shareware

- all of the programs have been installed and tested on my own computer first

- each is carefully screened for spyware or other malicious components

- I do not distribute illegal copies of commercial software

Best Wishes,

Bob

I leave a lot of CDs. My kids have moved away, and left hundreds of CDs that they no longer want, and that I never wanted. It's either throw them in the landfill or put them in caches, so I've been putting them in every cache that will hold one. These aren't compilations, they're the original CDs, mostly in the original jewel cases. I see nothing illegal or immoral in doing this.

Night Pilot: Nothing wrong with that at all. Cool idea!

Larsl: You're right to nitpick, and you're correct. The open-source stuff is usually of excellent quality, is freely available and deals can be made to acquire a number of original CDs from the open source foundation to place in caches. That way there are no suspect copies - the CD is properly labeled, is original and can be installed with no concern for viruses etc.

This is a good topic, and I have enjoyed reading the posts.

Thanks to all for really valid comments..........

Edited by Azaruk

Like others have said, just because it's burned doesn't make it illegal. They may be songs for free distribution, or they may be within the copy allowance. Where I buy my music on-line, we are allowed to burn 3 copies of the CDs as long as they aren't being sold. Since I don't burn any copies for myself, that gives me 3 copies to give away any way I choose. So don't assume the worst. :-)