Why So Many Micros?

VentureForth

OK. It's cool to have microcaches in urban areas where you can't hide an ammobox under a newspaper rack - at least not without causing severe suspicion. But I'm finding a TON of film canisters being littered across the vast expanses of the country as microcaches where it doesn't seem to be real necessary to have microcaches.

Yeah, I like to trade. I like to see the goodies. I can only enjoy geocaching so much bounding from one cemetery to another to find a scrolled up tiny log in a film canister in the crook of a tree. Many are placed 20 miles apart going down the highway by the same cacher.

What has happened to imagination? What has happened to trading? I'm really beginning to miss the McGoodies.

VF

Edited by VentureForth

Please accept our invitation to come up to the Raleigh area to see some of the most imaginative micros there are (excluding ours). There won't be much to trade in any of our micros but there will be a lot of fun finding them. Sure there are plenty of ammo boxes and other regulars but the micros offer the most fun and games in our opinion.

why so many micro's? simple. they're easy and require little effort or expense on the part of the hider. granted, some are cleverly hidden (just look at the torn up area around a well hidden woodland micro; spoken sarcastically), and occasionally one leads you to a neat area, but the majority i've found were pretty lame and without much to recommend them. oh, i'll continue to hunt them to get them off my screen, but i believe the majority diminish caching as a recreational activity. jmho. -harry

Edited by shawhh

In general, lately, size seems directly correlated to difficulty. In other words, most of these micros are park-n-grabs, while many of the larger caches take more effort to find. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but is often the case. In a target-rich environment, you can make an ammo box very challenging, whereas there are often only a few suitable locations for a micro. Also, larger caches make more appropriate conclusions to multis and puzzles. OTOH, it's not hard for the hider to make a micro difficult - if they're just not that careful with the coordinates, or if they place it somewhere where the level of difficulty largely relates to your willingness to embarrass yourself in public.

All that said, some of my favorite hides have been urban micros - where they actually showed some thought and consideration. And some woodland micros have been clever, too - where they used unusual camoflage that was appropriate to the setting, for instance. It's not so much a matter of where they are, as if there's a good reason for the micro, other than an easy addition to the numbers, for the hider and/or the finders.

I like the goodies too of the larger ones, but I have found that in some areas, smaller is better.

I think that out in the woods, a micro or a small cache can be a PITA...

I hid my first small cache last night; it was in a diet pill bottle. I left the cap white, but used paint to camoflauge the rest of the bottle. It is tiny enough to be discreet, but large enough to hold a few trades, as well as a log sheet.

In this one, I put some marbles, a cross, and a buffalo nickel inside.

Excellent topic, my wife and I talk about this all the time. Why oh why must we search for these little rolled up pieces of paper, for a stat, the thrill of finding one, "NOT"!!! I can't answer this question but we know what they say, "it's the thrill of the hunt and the joy of the outdoors. Recently we went through our book of caches that hadn't been found yet and we removed all the micros and 35mm canister caches from our book. When we go out all day and find 2 of the 9 micros for the day we got abit discouraged.

Yesturday, December 4th marks the first cache that my better half and I have put out and we made a pact to only put out caches that have trade items inside. It is more fun to trade items than just sign the log book and if you have kids with you, you know what I am talking about.

I am relatively new to this game but have placed four caches. Two of them are micros, and they are lame. But I have enough consideration that I state very clearly on the page that they are lame! Basically, they're pretty much only for people who want to run up their find counts. And, as I also make clear on the page, they are so cheap and easy, why not?

Since not every placer makes it clear if his cache is lame or not, the seeker probably needs to learn to use some judgement. If the cache is a micro and it's hidden in an urban environment and apparently NOT in a park of some sort, I think you can expect it to be lame. It certainly won't be an enjoyable hike in the woods. If you don't like this type, just don't bother looking for them. No need to grouse about how lame they are.

If you don't like this type, just don't bother looking for them.  No need to grouse about how lame they are.

I see your point, but the problem is that there are so many of them out there, it tends to create a fast-food culture of geocaching, so new people coming in "grow up" in that culture, and that's all they know. I'm frequently amazed to see challenging caches in scenic areas going months and months without a find, while the strip-mall micros keep getting visited. There's a danger of getting lost in the noise.

One thing that would help is if you could filter out micros in your search.

If you don't like this type, just don't bother looking for them.  No need to grouse about how lame they are.

I see your point, but the problem is that there are so many of them out there, it tends to create a fast-food culture of geocaching, so new people coming in "grow up" in that culture, and that's all they know. I'm frequently amazed to see challenging caches in scenic areas going months and months without a find, while the strip-mall micros keep getting visited. There's a danger of getting lost in the noise.

One thing that would help is if you could filter out micros in your search.

You can do it when creating your pocket query by selecting only the container types you want to find. I've noticed in our area that some really neat caches go unfound for a long time that require a hike. I have several FTFs that sat for a week or more and required a limited hike. We love all kinds of caches though and enjoy mixing types in each hunt.

We love all kinds of caches though and enjoy mixing types in each hunt.

I, too, enjoy a mix, so I shouldn't sound a completely sour note about micros, or easy macros, for that matter.

Anyway, my problem is that I'm dedicated to testing the proposition that geocaching is and shall remain free to play. Right now, I'm just six finds away from becoming the leading non-premium member in the State of North Carolina, and I'm certainly not going to blow that distinction by upgrading my membership.

And, unless I'm mistaken, pocket queries are a premium feature, aren't they?

And, unless I'm mistaken, pocket queries are a premium feature, aren't they?

Yes they are. Basicly the only real feature beside the PQ's for members is getting them in GPX format. What it all comes down to between Micros, Regular, etc. can be said. "Different Strokes for Different Folks". On the other hand if your not placing caches to get the "Fast Food Culture" as it was described ealier and couldnt agree more, from taking over. Then you really dont have a place to argue the fact of thier being to many micro's. That's like not voting for president, then belly aching and complaining about it later. That doesnt implie to all persons, but for a few it does. It might be in some cases that someone doesnt really have the money to start up a trading cache, but wanna join in the adventure of hiding and playing the game. You can filter caches in PQ or in GSAK so you dont have to go huntung for mircos or vice versa if you dont wanna. So what is the real discussion here? That's just my take on it.

[The Alethiometrists]Anyway, my problem is that I'm dedicated to testing the proposition that geocaching is and shall remain free to play. Right now, I'm just six finds away from becoming the leading non-premium member in the State of North Carolina, and I'm certainly not going to blow that distinction by upgrading my membership.

Let me get this right now,  you are dedicated to free geocaching, but you complain and whine about not having the same features as the folks that do help support this great site to cover expenses, and yet you are having fun, well its one distinction that it sounds like you deserve “slacker”

Happy Trails ………… JOE

The Alethiometrists are one of the chief contributors to our caching community in the Central NC area. Their caches are some of the most challenging as well as interesting ones in the area. They recently sponsored a graduate student from California that was filming a documentary about Geocaching and will fairly soon continue her work on a film of the same. They have served as hosts of some of the top geocachers in the country. Their contribution to geocaching in this area is equal to any of the top cachers in the rest of the country. We have enjoyed their company both at events and on the trail and hope to continue enjoying it for a long long time.I think your inferences are unfounded as well as unfair.

Dear me, I'd forgotten what a rough-and-tumble world these online forums can be. Actually, I've given a lot to Groundspeak, on a strictly voluntary basis. I've bought a lot of TB tags, more than you'd know from the bugs I own, since I've given some away. We've also bought t-shirts and other items, some to keep, some for give-aways. On the whole, I've probably given more money to Geocaching than a lot of Premium members. It's something of a whimsical thing with me, seeing how far I can go without shelling out the $30. Also, it's something of a tribute to the history of this activity, which is best not gone into here.

Also, I do try to do my part by placing caches of the sort I like to find. I've certainly invested a fair amount there, both in terms of time and money.

Anyway, I'm not complaining about not being able to do pocket queries. That came up as a side note, since I was unaware until it was pointed out here that PQs could filter out micros.

At least thus far, participating in the forums isn't a "premium feature," eh?

We happen to like micro caches simply because alot of the ones we have found are not what you would call lame but to us every cache is great because someone out there took the time to place it for us to hunt! We place alot of micros and most of them are not what you would put in that lame catigory either but out of the "lame" micros I have put out I know for a fact that the kids love finding them as much as they like finding the ammo cans and just try taking that little 6 year old girl on that 10 mile hike in the woods! <_< For the most part at least in our area we have found that the ones gripeing about the micros the most are the ones that can't find them! The folks that are willing to hunt them and actually find them actually seem to like them and thank us for placing something for them to hunt, but like I say that is just in our area. As for the money issue...I happen to spend as much on micros as most folks in our area spend on Bigger trading caches and the fact is that usually after the bigger caches are found a few time they have to be restocked due to the fact that folks around here don't seem to always trade on a fair basis. I guess the best solution is if you don't like micros then don't hunt them and if you are tired of seeing them show up in your area then do something about it and get out and place some big caches!

P.S. Did I mention that we like micros? <_<:huh:

We have found that the ones gripeing about the micros the most are the ones that can't find them!

I enjoy micros in the mix, but sometimes I think I'm finding them just to prove that I can, so I'm free to gripe about them without the above assumption being made - that I'm only griping because I can't find them.

What bothers me with some micros is that the only real challenge comes from your willingness to risk public embarrassment. Also, it's kinda sad, IMO, when caches with great hikes go months and months without finds, while urban micros in parking lots keep getting hits. Even new caches involving great hikes get relatively few visits, compared to their urban micro counterparts.

'Course, that's just me. I came to geocaching as a backpacker and camper. Others come to this from a different approach, with different inclinations. It's all good, as long as we continue to have variety. With NittanyDave's three new ammo can caches along the Haw River here in central NC, I'm pleased - even if we've been one of only two finders so far.

We have found that the ones gripeing about the micros the most are the ones that can't find them!

I enjoy micros in the mix, but sometimes I think I'm finding them just to prove that I can, so I'm free to gripe about them without the above assumption being made - that I'm only griping because I can't find them.

What bothers me with some micros is that the only real challenge comes from your willingness to risk public embarrassment. Also, it's kinda sad, IMO, when caches with great hikes go months and months without finds, while urban micros in parking lots keep getting hits. Even new caches involving great hikes get relatively few visits, compared to their urban micro counterparts.

'Course, that's just me. I came to geocaching as a backpacker and camper. Others come to this from a different approach, with different inclinations. It's all good, as long as we continue to have variety. With NittanyDave's three new ammo can caches along the Haw River here in central NC, I'm pleased - even if we've been one of only two finders so far.

I asked a few of the cachers about that at the last local event and there were no answers. We were FTF on three 1 mile+ walk caches in the last couple of months and were the only finders for a week or so. Great caches too. We didn't try hard for the FTF either, one of them sat a week before we were able to try it.

I do agree about the hiking caches, I personally have a pretty good hiking multi cache that has been found only once and it's been out several months! Seems like folks don't want to hike to go geocaching around here. But the micros I place seem to get hit a bunch so I have a tendency to go with what gets the hits and what people around here enjoy. The only micros I have placed in the woods have gotten me cussed by more than a couple of folks but that just because they are camoed kinda in a different way and no I ain't tellin' :blink:

Like I keep saying, I only can speak for my area!

Check out this micro.....GCJRAR

So far no one has found it with out being told exactlly what it is and I am proud of that fact! Micros can be interesting! :blink:

and we still love them!

:P

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

Can it be said that 'lame' micros are only the ones whose hide you have seen before, so you recognize it readily?

My first lamp post find was a thrill for me, as was my first on any other ones I have found . . . it IS geocaching to locate the area, hunt the cache & secure the find - that applies as much to micros as to freight trains. It is a bonus if the area has some redeeming characteristics, too.

It can be considered rude & inconsiderate to label a cache placer's effort, time and interest in serving others as lame, simply because you may have experience in a particular hide technique . . . the game is for the new friends, as well.

When you are in your hundreds of finds, the contents of a tupperware bowl, under a pile of sticks in a root ball can become familiar . . . do we label the placer & the cache lame - or is it okay because it is NOT a micro?

Let's all be thoughtful and considerate of the placer of caches and encourage them to DO MORE, it adds to the game for someone, if not everyone . . . it's good!

well, if you look at my stats i think you'd have to say i have found quite a few micros so i guess my lack of enthusiasm for them must be something else. it isn't the trading since i usually tnln. and it isn't the creativity of the hide. it is, as CR states, the absolutely uninteresting location of the majority of micros. if you're going to hide one please have it bring me to some area of local interest, history, scenic overlook, something other than the food lion parking lot. i do appreciate the fact that so many are willing to hide caches of any description, but please give some thought to placement. -harry

It is a bonus if the area has some redeeming characteristics, too.

Sorry. Nope. The area is not a bonus, it is one of the most important aspects of a hide. I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Some people don't mind running their numbers up finding (or hiding) caches attached to garbage dumpsters with magnets - and I guess that's ok - but they shouldn't get upset when people mention lame micros.

If the area isn't good, the hide better be unique. The vast majority of the time it's not unique - it's easy to find - or in the same location you always find throw away micros. Micros are hard to do well and extremely easy to do poorly. Most people do them poorly.

Contrary to some people - many micros are NOT hard to find. They're very easy to find. Most people don't take the time to put them in unique places or make them hard to find. A guardrail, garbage dump, meter box, etc isn't a good location. Just because a place CAN support a cache doesn't mean it should.

There are now as many micros in our state as full sized caches. Many of the locations could either support a full sized cache or shouldn't have a cache there at all (because there's nothing interesting, unique, or beautiful about the area. The caches aren't unique - they're mostly cookie cutters and easy to find.)

I would say thank God for the new "ignore" feature - but eventually all new cachers will see are throw-away micros and people tend to immitate what they find. It's sad but true.

That being said - many of my favorite caches are micros - and some of them I couldn't find the first (or 2nd, or 3rd..... attempt). I don't have a problem with those caches. They were in unique locations or hidden cleverly. Most are not. The micros that are easy to find, in crappy locations, or obviously just thrown out to run up a hide count are the ones that I (and most of the people who are complaining) are complaining about.

southdeltan

Edited by southdeltan

No, I have been reformed and wouldn't contaminate an ammo can with a film can unless it contained a plastic bag to use for CITO ;)

But since you drooled all over that picture here is one to really raise your micro :huh: I'll sell the two bowls in the front to the highest bidder (incl. contents) ;)

cans2.jpg

It's quite obvious that someone still doesn't get it.

It's not that it's a lamppost cache, it's the absolutely uninteresting location!

Elaborating on and supporting CR's point: It's also the fact that in some areas, it's not just ONE or TWO of these types of hides/locations, it's TENS or HUNDREDS.

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19
It's quite obvious that someone still doesn't get it.

It's not that it's a lamppost cache, it's the absolutely uninteresting location!

Elaborating on and supporting CR's point: It's also the fact that in some areas, it's not just ONE or TWO of these types of hides/locations, it's TENS or HUNDREDS.

-Dave R.

So what, some folks like them. There are plenty for others that don't too.

I think Micro's have a purpose, but around these parts, people are it seems, constantly trying to out Micro the next cacher. I for one have pretty much sworn them off, unless they are in an interesting location. I mean I thought that was one of the things GC.com recommended was in a unique or interesting location. I mean what fun is a pill bottle in the woods? It just messes up the area unless it is in plain sight. The first stage of a multi, thats one thing, but more and more I am finding Micros SUCK!!!

Just my .02

Cya on the trails,

Rusty

I confess, I have put out a few reeeeally lame micros. I guess I wanted Clayton, NC to be the next Nashville, TN. I archived one of them today, and the rest will probably follow in short order. I'm planning a series of micros, with equally lame hides, but strung together with a theme and a ammo can payoff. Micros are like any other cache hide, the more thought that goes into it, the better the hide. P.S if I hide one in Clayton is it a rural micro? :sad:

I confess, I have put out a few reeeeally lame micros. I guess I wanted Clayton, NC to be the next Nashville, TN. I archived one of them today, and the rest will probably follow in short order. I'm planning a series of micros, with equally lame hides, but strung together with a theme and a ammo can payoff. Micros are like any other cache hide, the more thought that goes into it, the better the hide. P.S if I hide one in Clayton is it a rural micro? :sad:

A lot of us really enjoyed your micros, quite challenging. Plus...if you timed it right you could search then eat. Don't quit your micros on our account. We'll look forward to the multi. Incidentally, I tried to talk a fisherman into giving me a ride out to your Buckhorn cache and he declined. Oh well I'll try again.

Hey Horsegeeks, when the weather gets better you can stop by the house and pick up my kayak. It's a pretty short paddle to the cache, and you may not get a FTF but you'll be only the second in 8 months! :D The folks bashing lame micros in the woods obviously have never looked for "Pine cones and holly berries" or some of the Cedar park micros. I love an ammo can jammed in a stump filled w/ goodies, but I love the challange of a micro too. Although I'm not very good at finding them. :D

I've been a lurker on the message boards for awhile (almost two years) and the common theme I see is that if a cacher doesn't like to do a certian type of hide. Be it physically challanging (theres a thread for that), micros (this thread) or a plain ole virtual, somebody complains. out of the 10 caches nearest my house 6 are virtuals (which I despise) and the rest are micros in downtown Raleigh (which I'm too uncomfortable looking for). But they're all cool finds for those that like that sort of thing :huh: . If I had a limited mobility, I would love virtuals and micros, it would give me a chance to play. I like a Two mile hike, that's just me.

Moral of the story is, unless you're Horsegeeks you don't have to do them all :D

The folks bashing lame micros in the woods obviously have never looked for "Pine cones and holly berries" or some of the Cedar park micros.

This is something that piqued my interest on this subject.

Question: what redeeming value does 'Pine cones and holly berries" or the other mentioned caches have?

This is not a slam or picking a fight. I'm curious as to why you wrote the above quote.

The "got to try this one" factor is the uniqueness of the hide. The hider spent alot of time setting this up. I don't want to spoil it on the forum for those that may hunt it, but they're in for a suprise. If you want me to elaborate on these particular hides please e-mail me so I don't spoil the caches.

The "got to try this one" factor is the uniqueness of the hide.

Well, there's that. What else? In a park? It says it's an athletic park. I think there is a somewhat interesting location.

So you have a nice hide and a decent location.

I'm not talking about simply micros. I'm talking about lame micros. "Micro" does not equal "lame." Nor are all lame caches micros. Not in the least. But when you have unimaginative hides in non-descript locations, what's the point?

The "got to try this one" factor is the uniqueness of the hide.

Well, there's that. What else? In a park? It says it's an athletic park. I think there is a somewhat interesting location.

So you have a nice hide and a decent location.

I'm not talking about simply micros. I'm talking about lame micros. "Micro" does not equal "lame." Nor are all lame caches micros. Not in the least. But when you have unimaginative hides in non-descript locations, what's the point?

This particular micro was set up with great imagination. (thanks fishingfools) It took us three trips to find it because there were so many variables. The last trip I went out of my way to finally find it. It was very challenging and in a nice setting. If there was an unimaginative (in some people's eyes) micro on the way to Pine cones and holly Berries I would have grabbed it on the way. I may not have gone too far out of my way for the second one but most certainly would have gone for it one time or the other. For our family team there is a time and place for every cache unless we determine it isn't safe to do it, which hasn't been the case yet. We have talked to some cachers that don't like micros but seem to do them anyway when the spirit moves (whether imaginative or not in nature). They are there so there ends up being a time and place. If you don't like something don't do it, that's it. I've always disliked baseball so I don't go to baseball games. I love opera and try to go whenever I can. I sort of like basketball and would go to one if my son wanted to go but it wouldn't be my choice. It's a free country we can do what we want and not do what we don't want. But just because I don't like baseball doesn't mean it should be done away with altogether, or ...wait a minute...we could just get rid of the lousy games......

Edited by horsegeeks