If Only The Legend C Would Hold 1000 Waypoints...

Milbank

Why would Garmin have a 500 waypoint limit on the new Legend color when the old Legend holds 1000?

If anything I would think the new Legend C would hold at least 1000 if not more waypoints then the old legend.

I'm looking at getting a color hand held gps after the holidays are over.

I would like to keep with garmin as I have some garmin mapping software and I like the shape of the etrex line. I also have the Garmin window mount for the legend etrex.

If I would by a color garmin gps today it would have to be the 60c just because it can hold 1000 waypoints.

Do you think garmin will ever change the Legend C from 500 to 1000 waypoints like they did on the old legend?

Searching with the Legend isn't that hard, nor does it take that long. You just start entering the name, and it eliminates waypoints as the names don't match exactly. I have something over 700 waypoints in mine, and by the time I've entered 3 characters the one I'm looking for is on the screen most of the time.

The ability to put waypoints on an SD card would really be great. I can't imagine why Garmin hasn't tumbled to that.

Trust me...500 is enough!  Trying to search through that many on your GPS will drive you nuts!  Just keep them on your computer and call 'em up when ya need them.

Sorry, but I can't trust you on this one. :lol:

I use my gps daily at work and 500 is not enough.

All of my waypoints for work are last names of people. So searching through the waypoints for the one I'm looking for is not all that hard.

I don't have a laptop to bring with me when I'm on the road, just the gps so I need to have all the way points loaded into it.

1000 may not be enough someday too.

I will be looking at the memory card ones too, but would like to stay with Garmin.

Way don't Garmin make a color gps that uses a memory card or will that be next years model? :lol:

Edited by Milbank

Forgive me if this sounds stupid but...

Didn't a firmware update from Garmin change the number of waypoints from 500 to 1000 on the standard legend some time ago? I vaguely remember that when I updated my firmware I was able to download 1000 points (even though I wouldn't have that many unless I had a detailed route).

Good Luck and God Bless

Edit for spelling

Edited by DiverMan
Forgive me if this sounds stupid but...

Didn't a firmware update from Garmin change the number of waypoints from 500 to 1000 on the standard legend some time ago? I vaguely remember that when I updated my firmware I was able to download 1000 points (even though I wouldn't have that many unless I had a detailed route).

Good Luck and God Bless

Edit for spelling

You are correct and that is what's keeping from moving up to a Legend C.

My old Legend lets me store 1000 waypoints and I like that. :lol:

I don't think the Vista had the firmware update, just the legend.

Trust me...500 is enough! Trying to search through that many on your GPS will drive you nuts! Just keep them on your computer and call 'em up when ya need them.

One of the features I like about my Meridian gold is that I can store sets of waypoints on the memory card in files for each area that I may cache in, instead of searching through hundreds of waypoints, I just have to search through the wayoints in that area. I drive a lot between the San Francisco area and Sacramento, maybe four times a week, if I want to look for a cache say in Davis, I just load the Davis file of waypoints.

You're right in that both the Legend and the Vista could hold 500 waypoints from the beginning. In a major software update, they used flash memory, which from the beginning probably was reserved for updated functions in the firmware, to allow the user to store 1000 waypoints. At that time, they had realized that the firmware wouldn't need this extra memory, ever.

The firmware shares flash memory with waypoints, routes and tracks.

At the same time, these units got 10000 active track points and 750 points in saved tracks. The routes were exanded to 125 waypoints.

Since the Legend C and Vista C have more funtionality than the original Legend and Vista, there may not be room for these waypoints in the newer units. But that's just a guess. Could also be market profiling, just like the Vista C and 60 CS has a less detailed basemap than the 76 CS has.

By the way, there's a color screen Garmin that allows virtually unlimited amounts of waypoints. It's called the iQue 3600.

Edited by apersson850

Just got confirmation from a Garmin Rep-

> Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Unfortunately the Legend

> C only has the 500 waypoints. You do gain the memory and color but loose

> 500 waypoints. It may be in the future an update to add the 500 extra

> waypoints, but I do not know for sure.

This is making us rethink the 60c as an option for our next upgrade.

-J

This is making us rethink the 60c as an option for our next upgrade.

Looks like Garmin's marketing ploy is working. :huh: If you want the extra waypoints, then step on up to a more expensive model. :D

Of course we all know that Garmin could've included 1,000 waypoints in the new eTrex color series from the start, but deliberately kept it at 500 in order to entice you to buy the more expensive 60C series.

Give it time. If you really want the Legend C, then get it. Eventually, Garmin will do a firmware upgrade and add the additional 500 waypoints.

Edited by tubemonkey