GPSBabel, MS S&T 2004 and EasyGPS

ChiefPig

1) OK, before anybody starts flaming me, I did do a search in the forums regarding the above 3 software and found some scattered info about using the 3 together. I just need to clarify whatever info I gathered.

2) I am not a premium member so I believe I only have access to geocaching.com *.LOC files and NOT .GPX files.

3) I have EasyGPS (like everybody else here), MS Streets & Trips 2004 and planning to download GPSBabel for windows

4) If I want to download a bunch of waypoints close to home, and upload them to my GPS and MS S&T 2004, I need to do the following: (?)

a) click on the caches' checkboxes on the geocaching.com list

:D hit download and save the .loc file to disk

c) use easy gps to read the .loc file and send the waypoints to my GPSr

d) use GPSBabel on the same file and convert it to s_and_t format

e) import the GPSBabel output file into MS S&T 2004 (like a csv file).

f) I'll see all the waypoints as pushpins on the map

Correct?

Also, I got from the different threads that there is NO way to export routes or waypoints created on MS S&T 2004 into a file that I can import easily into my GPSr using EasyGPS or GPSBabel. Is this true?

Thanks!!!

I was actually hoping to receive several .csv files from different regions, with variations that naturally happen when different people apply tools to produce the result - and then use them for debugging of my code. Not to mention that I wanted to save 30 seconds on GPSBabel installation (shame on me, still didn't have a chance to do it, although I am looking forward to interface with this fine tool in some way). Well, I guess csv export in QuakeMap has to wait a while...

Thanks in advance to those who will respond!

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

This is something I've been looking to do, but am unable to make it work as suggested. I have MS Street & Trips 2001. I've not "upgraded" as the 2002 version dropped my home street. (Haven't checked since.) But I wonder if that might be the problem of not being able to import a .csv file. Or is there another format I should use in gpsbabel?

I'm also wondering how all the programs fit together...

1. use a pocket query and get a gpx file.

2. use watcher (or Utopia?) to open them on my PC. Still struggling with changing things there. Is there a preference of programs for this portion? Some how the waypoints have gone away and all I have are abbreviations. That's sorta okay, but sometimes difficult to find a cache page with just the abbreviation.

3. I use CacheMate to open the gpx on my Palm. This is a real nice solution for the Palm.

4. Run the flie through spinner (Not sure why)

5.Run the spinner file through gps babel to get it to a MS S&T, Mapsource, etc format?

By now the file is much smaller than the gpx file, so I wonder what is lost.

So far, I've had to get the file to MapSource by uploading from my eTrek. Must be a better way.

What I really would like to do is get waypoints into S&T.

Thanks for any help with my obvious confusion.

90 caches in one month icon_smile.gif and luvin' everything except the poison oak icon_frown.gif

I can't speak for 2001 or 2002, but '03 and '04 appear identical in this regard. GPSBabel has detailed instructions for converting to streets and trips.

Motorbug, the precise answer for your musing after point five depends on which file is "this" one, but it's probably along the lines of "becuase the cache description and logs were all tossed out becuase (say) Mapsource has no place for them".

I have no idea why I keep seeing recepies this complicated. With only trivial scripting, you can combine many of these things into one command of arbitrary complexity - and even if you couldn't, GPSBabel can write multiple files in one shot. So you could write a batch file that spun a GPX file to Mapsource, S&T, give everything sensible names, and even do the serial upload all in one shot if that's your gig.

ChiefPig, on your original post, your procedure should work. For your last question, I believe that to be true. If you have routes or pins thta originated in S&T, I know of no export facility and no conversion tool that can read them.

Robert,

This goes again to UI.

<quote>I have no idea why I keep seeing recepies this complicated. With only trivial scripting, you can combine many of these things into one command of arbitrary complexity - and even if you couldn't, GPSBabel can write multiple files in one shot. So you could write a batch file that spun a GPX file to Mapsource, S&T, give everything sensible names, and even do the serial upload all in one shot if that's your gig.</quote>

Rember that over 90% of computer users are windows users and have no idea how to manipulate a CLI. Some dont want to, some dont know how, some just dont liek screwing with it.

-Robert

I use EasyGPS and GeoBuddy with no problem. The only differance is that I save ALL caches in my area in MS Works Spreadsheet. This is so I can add and remove caches I have found or new caches. I have files for Area Caches, My Found Caches and My Personal Caches. All I need to do is update the map every so often.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

quote:
Originally posted by RobAGD:

Robert,

This goes again to UI.

<quote>I have no idea why I keep seeing recepies this complicated. With only trivial scripting, you can combine many of these things into one command of arbitrary complexity - and even if you couldn't, GPSBabel can write multiple files in one shot. So you could write a batch file that spun a GPX file to Mapsource, S&T, give everything sensible names, and even do the serial upload all in one shot if that's your gig.</quote>

Rember that over 90% of computer users are windows users and have no idea how to manipulate a CLI. Some dont want to, some dont know how, some just dont liek screwing with it.

-Robert

Robert (ROB AGD) sums it up. At one time I could write a decent batch file in DOS-- even liked it and passed on Win 3.1. Finally got Win 95 when it was that or get off the world. Lately I borrowed a batch file from Marky to modify. I just don't remember all the commands and parameters for this stuff. Have to dig out a dusty book I guess.

I also see that I will have to read the directions on these programs. Amazing what is in there! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the hints and help!

You can download waypoints from S&T (the 2002 version at least) to your gps by first exporting to PocketStreets (use "Export Map for Pocket Streets").

This will create (among other things) a pushpin file (*.psp) that GPSBABEL can read and convert to ... just about any other format.

I've used this on S&T 2002 to import city street addresses into S&T, have S&T plot these as waypoints, and then export, convert and download the waypoints into my etrex. (In this case, the street addresses were locations of garage sales downloaded from our local newspaper's classified section)

There appears not to be a way to export routes directly, although you could mark waypoints along the route and export them. Not elegant, but perhaps useful in some situations.