Ammo Can Thieves

wordfried

:D I'm sure it's probably been discussed here somewhere....but right now it's like finding a needle in a hay stack....

Anybody have any words of wisdom in regards to thieves of geocaches. One of mine was stolen, I'm convinced. Hadn't had any visitor s even logged as finding it successfully. I'm in Virginia. Wondering if anyone is tracking reports of stolen caches-especially ammo boxes. I've noticed e-bay sales for ammo boxes. Are they becoming too enticing to use as a container anymore?

Signed, frustrated and wanted to prevent a reoccurance-Wordfried

I think if someone steals your ammo box, it's because they think it's a great box. Ammo cans are great for a lot of things. Quite a few people I know have never seen them. I'd never seen one before maybe four years ago.

I was tempted to paint mine yellow with little pink hearts and flowers to discourage the stereotype male who is most likely to take the thing because he thinks it's cool.

Jamie

A fellow geocacher lost all three of his ammo can hides within a week or two. They were all in the same geographical area, within 10 - 20 miles of each other. It seemed to us that it had to be connected to geocaching, otherwise, how could 3 at once disapear?

I was worried about mine, but the disapearing stopped. We didn't see any ammo can hides suddenly pop up, so it's a big mystery. :lol:

It's sad, though. He gave up on his caches and just archived them. It was too stressful for him to worry about them. :lol: How could someone steal caches like that, and not even care? :lol:

Edited by Ambrosia
Unfortunately we have a geo-maggot in our area. He/She does not discriminate. If a cache is not really well hidden, or does not require a lot of work to get to the caching site you can assume it will last less then a week. some of our caches are currently gone withine 24 hours.

Yes it is discouraging.

:(

put one somewhere that you can put a web cam on it.

maybe in a park where someone you know has a yard that backs onto the park.

maybe you can catch the worm.

Anybody have any words of wisdom in regards to thieves of geocaches. One of mine was stolen, I'm convinced. Hadn't had any visitor s even logged as finding it successfully. I'm in Virginia. Wondering if anyone is tracking reports of stolen caches-especially ammo boxes. I've noticed e-bay sales for ammo boxes. Are they becoming too enticing to use as a container anymore?

Is this the cache that you are referring to?

You placed it five months ago and have gotten nothing but DNF's on it. You think it may be missing because no one's found it. Are you sure that it's gone?

Shouldn't you go and check it? Or at least disable or archive it?