Geocaching Organization In Iowa?

Team Tayjam

yea I think there might be a couple groups around :lol:

(maybe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CenIAGeocachers/ would interest you)

the point varies from group to group. Many are just social groups. Their point is to encourage cacher interaction... like set up event caches/ gatherings. Other times a group may have been formed to work on some problem. Like if a state's park system either looked to be leaning toward banning caching (I think thats how MNGCA got started), or the state wanted an 'offical' caching association to work with when setting up a permit process.

The benefit of a group would be, the goal gets done (you hope). For a social group, they throw some nice events. For another type, maybe they get that park to something acceptable to most geocachers.

I was at the meeting last Tuesday, the 16th. What a nice bunch of people. We talked a little bit about forming a more formal group like the Eastern Iowa Geocachers have, but I really don't think there's a lot of interest at this point. Which is fine with me. I wouldn't mind having informal get-togethers every other month or so.

James

Hello Team Tayjam!

I must say that having a local geocaching organization has been a boon for me. I really like the fact that many of the posts to the organization are limited to topics of local interest. The Eastern Iowa group, which has a very nice website by the way, has proven to be a great way to meet local people with pastimes we have in common; people that I myself might not ever have met otherwise. The souls that I've been introduced to so far have enriched my life, no bones about it. :laughing:

When we have a local event, the group planners communicate at length with each other in a private sort of way before the details are released to the rest of the geocachers. The local membership benefits from this the most. I really don't think there's a big need to directly share all the details with everybody in the Great Plains area although they are certainly welcome to any public events. If there is someone far off that's that interested they will probably see the event posted on the main geocaching site anyway.

Mind telling us what part of the state of Iowa you are located in? I'm in NE Iowa myself.