Show Us Your Coins

GEM's

You all have very nice collections, I have a ton of military coins, but I guess that doesn’t mean much in the Geo-caching world. I have thought of leaving some in caches but since I'm new not sure if people would be interested. Any advice would be great. Thanks 

I love finding Miltary Coins!

Maybe it's just me but I have always been a collector of stuff (ie. stamps, coins, license plates, rocks, shells).

I welcome all trades for my MRCOGEO GeoTokens for other Geo-Sig items be it by caching, in person or by mail.

mrcogeotoken_small_real.gif

We are also in the process of minting Colorado CO GeoCoins so be on the lookout for that series!

When my personal GeoCoins are finally minted I feel those are going to be reserved for special caches, extraordinary trades and other "high-and-mighty" purposes! :laughing::P

Don't know if this is helpful but I will throw it out.

I am new to geocaching so I don't know alot about geo coins, but I do know some about the world of kites and how they use custom kite pins.

The kite folks have made wonderful cloisonne kite pins for trade, sell, special events.

(An example of some is at: http://www.pinmart.com/custompins.cfm

and I'm not with that company....that was just the best example I could find).

Think of geo coins with pin backs so they could be pinned to a hat, lapel, jacket, shirt.

The kite folks have some beautiful pins, some are much coveted. At any kiting event there are always a few people sitting around with their stash of pins for trade or sale.

It would be fun to find a pin in a cache that could be sold, trade, passed on, or saved and worn.

I hope this is helpful or new info. :P

HWyatt

You all have very nice collections, I have a ton of military coins, but I guess that doesn’t mean much in the Geo-caching world. I have thought of leaving some in caches but since I'm new not sure if people would be interested. Any advice would be great. Thanks 

I love finding Miltary Coins!

Maybe it's just me but I have always been a collector of stuff (ie. stamps, coins, license plates, rocks, shells).

Gem's, I'll hook you up <_< It's my plan to start leaveing coins that I have more than one of. Like these Geo Coins some of my military coins are very hard to come by.

I don't have a pic of my one and only WA coin, but it looks like all the others. :yikes:

Brings up another question I have though...what does everyone DO with their collections? Leave them on the kitchen table/counter? Coin pages in a binder? Display stand of some kind?

I'm kind of thinking along the lines of making myself a display rack to hang on the wall with slots in the shelves to be able to 'lean' them back at about a 5-15 deg. angle.

Now, if I did make one...would anyone else be interested in one?

Sadly I don't have that many coins myself, and displaying them at this point would be rather pathetic.

I'm assuming if I ever get a decent collection of them, I'll probably modify a ammo box in some fashion to serve as either storage or displaying them (details to be worked out later, when I have to worry about it).

Allanon,

I've also struggled over the years on how to display my coins. I only have a couple of geocoins, but I've been in the military for 19 yrs and have many military coins and wanted to display them.

I've only been able to find small coin displays that hold 5 or 6 coins (too small).

I like your idea. How many coins do you think you could put in a display? How big are you thinking?

I would be very interested in 2 displays (one military, one geocaching).

LED

That one is about 2x2x3". Coin racks wouldn't need the differing sizes in shelf height, though.

I'm thinking I could have either 1 or 2 'slots' per shelf (1 for a straight row, 2 for staggered back-to-front).

Let me do some measuring and I'll work up a design tonight...

More details to come...

LED,

I measured my coin and the shelf again and figure that it's 12-13 coins per shelf (with a 1.5" coin diameter). At 5 shelves that's a max of 65 coins per rack. I decided that 2 groves per shelf wasn't worth it since if you wanted to see all of each coin, you wouldn't overlap them too much...so what was the point?

It's also possible to add more shelves to accomidate more coins.

I have 2 three ring binders with dividers I get from hobby shops that are used for cards and other collectables. Some have 1 or 2 big pockets and some have like 16 little ones. I have one binder full of cards, coins and buttons and the other full of sig items that will semi fit in there. I got the idea from Joani of Marky and Joani. It's neat to be able to take your collection to events for others to look through.

Brings up another question I have though...what does everyone DO with their collections? Leave them on the kitchen table/counter? Coin pages in a binder? Display stand of some kind?

I recently picked up a coin stand from Challenge Coin USA:

Geocoins3.jpg

It replaces an older, smaller stand that I have that I will use for wooden nickels if and when my coin collection grows.

I would like to get a binder as well for travel to events. Even moving the stand from my shelves to my desk caused the coins to roll around (as you can see in the above picture).

MTB - I like that case. I think it would be a nice way for me to display a few race medals on the top row (letting the ribbons drape over the top and hide the bulk of the ribbon behind). Coins and small sig items seem like they'd co-exist pretty nicely on the remaining shelves.

The website doesn't list dimensions, how deep is your 7-row case?

I wonder if it is possible, or practical to use it as a wall-mounted shelf.

How are you displaying the display-case?

MTB - I like that case. I think it would be a nice way for me to display a few race medals on the top row (letting the ribbons drape over the top and hide the bulk of the ribbon behind). Coins and small sig items seem like they'd co-exist pretty nicely on the remaining shelves.

The website doesn't list dimensions, how deep is your 7-row case?

I wonder if it is possible, or practical to use it as a wall-mounted shelf.

How are you displaying the display-case?

I'm away from home for the holiday so I can't measure it directly, but I'd guess that the stand is about 12" deep. I have it sitting on my bookshelves and it seems to fit nicely.

I'm away from home for the holiday so I can't measure it directly, but I'd guess that the stand is about 12" deep. I have it sitting on my bookshelves and it seems to fit nicely.

Okay, I pulled out the tape measure and got some accurate specs on the stand - it is 20" wide, 10" tall and 8-3/4" deep.

joefrog, what are the two coins in the upper right corner of your picture - the reddish one to the upper right of the KY coin and the silver one with dark blue trim to the upper right of Pepper's coin?

I'm away from home for the holiday so I can't measure it directly, but I'd guess that the stand is about 12" deep.  I have it sitting on my bookshelves and it seems to fit nicely.

Okay, I pulled out the tape measure and got some accurate specs on the stand - it is 20" wide, 10" tall and 8-3/4" deep.

joefrog, what are the two coins in the upper right corner of your picture - the reddish one to the upper right of the KY coin and the silver one with dark blue trim to the upper right of Pepper's coin?

Those are both military coins that I've found in caches. The silver with blue trim is a retirement celebration coin for a Sgt, the other is the "Mad Ducks," a flight squadron (if I remember correctly). I'll have to check for specifics when I get home!

As of yesterday, I added a very cool Goblindust coin to the collection, as well as a USA geocoin!

I'm still fishing for a Team FISUR coin, a RI coin, Blazerfan, HeadLlama, a 2Dolphins, waypoint 15, Conejo cachers, Indy Diver, GeoNap, MRCOGEO, and a few others. Some have replied to my quest, others have ignored me completly... :ph34r:

And as I've said before, I will gladly trade for an AGA coin and/or one of "Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Guns!" <_<

Edited by joefrog

O.K. I'd like to get this straight - ogling all these swell coins, am wondering...

When CAN one keep a coin (guilt-free, morally-lily-white?) I know that SOME of the Moun10Bike coins are supposedly fair game, but how do I know which ones? And what about others - the US coins, the Canada coins, etc.?

I just don't understand how all you folks managed to accumulate such fine collections. Traded some, bought some, yes, yes. But ALL of them? Guess what I'm trying to say is - whenever I manage to get a kewl coin or somesuch, if it has a number, then I dutifully move it along. So... how does one start/build a collection?

NEVER keep a trackable geocoin you find in a cache unless it's some kind of FTF prize. I've had 6 USA coins stolen out of caches so I know how it feels. Moun10Bike has different rules, so I guess it's OK to keep his (if you can ever find one).

The way I get coins for my collection is either buy them or trade for them. Buying is the easy way. Production is usually limited so you have to keep a watch on these forums and jump when the ordering starts.

If you want personal coins, then it gets harder. You'll need to trade for them. That means you'll need to stock up on the coins you can buy and then barter with them for the others. Hard to do since everyone else is trying to do the same.

The other thing you can do is come up with a really super cool signature item. If it's cool enough, people will trade their coins for it.

I just don't understand how all you folks managed to accumulate such fine collections. Traded some, bought some, yes, yes. But ALL of them?

Yup, my entire collection has been purchased or traded for. Most of the wooden nickels I have traded via mail for my wooden nickels. The bulk of the metal coins I have purchased... and of course I have traded my own personal coins for other personal coins like Moun10Bike's and Pepper's

I'll have to take a new picture soon cuz my collection has grown since the last photo

I just don't understand how all you folks managed to accumulate such fine collections.  Traded some, bought some, yes, yes.  But ALL of them?

Yup, my entire collection has been purchased or traded for. Most of the wooden nickels I have traded via mail for my wooden nickels. The bulk of the metal coins I have purchased... and of course I have traded my own personal coins for other personal coins like Moun10Bike's and Pepper's

I'll have to take a new picture soon cuz my collection has grown since the last photo

Ditto that! Traded for some, outright purchased others. Pepper was kind enough to trade with me, even though she already had an AGA coin on the way! If the infamous Joefrog coin ever does get made, she will be at the top of the list to get one. :lol:

These are coins I'm looking to trade for:

2003 USA Geocoin (Unactivated)

Team FISUR

Moun10Bike (first series)

DHobby1

Waypoint15

IndyDiver

For trade I have my personal blazerfan geocoins, Oregon, Washington, California, Canada, Kentucky, Alabama and Pennsylvania. Besides the 2003 USA I doubt anyone will want to part with one of these, but I don't guess it hurts to try.

Since I had fun getting the PA coins made, I am now in the process of getting my own personal coins, as well as NWPA group coins. I have quite a collection myself. Many thanks to everyone who has traded with me so far. I'll post a pic of the collection, though I am still waiting on my Michigan coins. Looks like I am searching for the exact list as Blazer Fan. Maybe Santa will bring me some...

LED,

I measured my coin and the shelf again and figure that it's 12-13 coins per shelf (with a 1.5" coin diameter). At 5 shelves that's a max of 65 coins per rack. I decided that 2 groves per shelf wasn't worth it since if you wanted to see all of each coin, you wouldn't overlap them too much...so what was the point?

It's also possible to add more shelves to accomidate more coins.

Allanon,

Found some pretty neat ideas just by doing a google search for coin displays. Gave me a couple of ideas I'm working on....more to follow....:lol:

LED

**edit: fixing the quote

Edited by DuncanClan
Also a note about sig items. If you're going to collect those it helps if you have something neat of your own and then people will want to swap you for it.

I've got a really cool item (Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Gun), but I've heard from some people it was "a mistake to make plans available to the caching public." I suppose they think it lessens the signature "trade value."

I have no regrets -- lots of kids have had fun with my guns!

Also a note about sig items.  If you're going to collect those it helps if you have something neat of your own and then people will want to swap you for it.

Obviously. Unfortunately not all of us have the extra $$ available to do something like that.

No doubt a challenge Allanon, but it's doesn't necessarily take a bundle of rubles - just IMAGINATION. Simply a matter of coming up with an unusual notion, and then - roll yer own! If it's clever enough, traders will flock to your door.