Micros Temporarily Banned?

Shop99er

We have found that the longer we cache the more we gravitate towards the "TT (Tupperware Type) Caches". We groan a little when we see "micro" but it doesn't stop us from putting them on the list....but it's not about the numbers...

A vitrual for us now isn't that big of a thrill to hunt other than seeing plaques and statues that we would have normally wizzed right by. When we first started caching a vitrual was a very welcome find for us. When we were being skunked left and right it's nice to find something..anything.... but it's not about the numbers...

Same deal with locationless. Some hate 'em..some love 'em. We don't go out of our way to get them but we do have a list of locationless caches with us and we have been known to do u-turns on two wheels to whip around and get one...but it's not about the numbers....

Personally I think all the caches, locationless, virtual, micro, regular..they're all worth hunting. It's sort of about the numbers but it's mostly about the thrill of the hunt (distant drums...rustle of grass...lone hoot owl cry...Tupperware 'spiffff' sound...)

Actually, I think micros are my favorite- something about the utter absurdity of having your name written down on a little piece of paper hidden away in a spot people walk by all the time, oblivious. Just makes me chuckle. Not to say I don't like the other kind as well- I love hiking and wandering in the outdoors. Just something poetic about hunting around for a very cleverly hidden micro. I like having a mixture of both. I've never done a virtual and I'm not sure what a locationless cache is <_< - I've been wondering...

Micros will never be banned there are far too many out there for that to happen. I love micros when I can find them. Hate them when I can't....<_< I'd much rather find a box with some size though. I've tried to stay away from hiding micros, but I've slipped a few in the past several months. All easy drive by ones. It is all about numbers otherwise nobody would care about logging there finds. Sometimes you need those easy ones to balance out the hard ones. The virtual caches I did in Calif. were some of the most enjoyable I've done, so it's great there are so many choices. Has anyone looked into Letterboxing? I ran across that the other night and see that there are Letterboxes in many of the places I've found geocaches. Letterboxing predates geocaching by several years and it's basically the same thing, but without the GPS. I'm curious are there any geocaches out there that say don't use your GPSr? I know I've found plenty that didn't require one. Are there cachers out there with some big numbers that don't use a GPSr?

Micros will never be banned there are far too many out there for that to happen. I love micros when I can find them. Hate them when I can't....<_< I'd much rather find a box with some size though. I've tried to stay away from hiding micros, but I've slipped a few in the past several months. All easy drive by ones. It is all about numbers otherwise nobody would care about logging there finds. Sometimes you need those easy ones to balance out the hard ones. The virtual caches I did in Calif. were some of the most enjoyable I've done, so it's great there are so many choices. Has anyone looked into Letterboxing? I ran across that the other night and see that there are Letterboxes in many of the places I've found geocaches. Letterboxing predates geocaching by several years and it's basically the same thing, but without the GPS. I'm curious are there any geocaches out there that say don't use your GPSr? I know I've found plenty that didn't require one. Are there cachers out there with some big numbers that don't use a GPSr?

Walden Run comes to mind. 1, 946 finds and counting!!! All without GPS.

I did a virtual some years back that if you've not done, you should:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ad-e3da2e9b8df3

I have a friend that does letterboxing with her family. From her description it seems like one big difference is that the person who hides the letterbox *wants* you to find it! <_< And I seem to recall that it's been around for at least 100 yrs...if I remember right. Sounded fun! And she said it was something the kids could really participate in hunting.

About the numbers thing, while it is fun to go out and find lots of caches, and that means accumulating numbers in and of itself, that's not at all why I like micros. It's just the absurdity of it that is so fun. We went caching on Whidbey Island the day after Thanksgiving. There's a cache in the parking lot of a Walmart there. It was so funny to pull up in the parking lot, full of people shopping their brains out, and write our names down on a little piece of paper hidden there, and then leave. All totally unnoticed by the hordes of people there. That's why I love micros- they're right there (sometimes even out in the open!) where people are passing everyday and totally unaware. And some of them are very, very clever. Or funny! Again, I'm not saying a beautiful walk and an ammo can aren't fun, it's just that it's somehow more predictable...

I like the challenge of finding a micro, we aren't in an urban area more rural so finding them can be more difficult some times because of the different place that you can hide them with in the ground zero circle. I also like to hid micro but not like some(thow's that don't want them to be found) I want mine to be found and to here the wise cracks that come back from people trying to find them. :laughing:

I think that the diversity of the obsession is what makes geocaching so great! Whether I'm with my 4 and 5 year old in a park or on an 8 mile trek with no one, looking for a buffalo tube on a fenceline, or explaining to my 5 year old who Bruce Lee was. It is accessible to everyone. Ninety percent of caching has taken my family and I to places we would have never seen (and we considered ourselves "adventerous" prior to geocaching), some of them in a 20 mile radius of our home!

I know you've heard it all before, I just wanted to let everyone know that it's not about the numbers or the FTF's for me either....really, it's not....really. Stop staring at me! :blink:

Well, after three weeks of scouting the park, taking photos, shooting bearings, creating a fun puzzle, and picking up the (regular size) cache container, I awoke this morning to see that someone has placed an altoids tin there. Sigh…

hm....you know if that altoids tin disappears you will be a suspect.......ROFL.