Gpsmap 60cs Or 76cs?

OkieRambler

Hello,

I am pretty new at geocaching, and am considering upgrading my aging gear. I still have a Magellan Trailblazer that has not had batteries in it for some time . . .

I am interested in a Garmin unit, and would like it to serve double duty for a reasonable vehicle unit (got to drive to some of these caches) and for actually walking the woods of my area.

I have recently used a borrowed Etrex (yellow basic unit) and see it's a bit ahead of my aging system :angry: I was looking into the Vista C, but looked a little further to the GPSMAP series, and the 60CS and the 76CS.

I know Garmin markets the 76 series as "marine" based. Is there any disadvantage in using it for land based applications, and geocaching, versus the 60 CS? The primary motivation in looking at the 76CS was for the additional memory, since Garmin does not use expandable cards :D

Any advice is appreciated; I plan to purchase some form of external antenna for vehicle use, and power it from the vehicle there (and use mapping software), and use high capacity NiMh batteries for field use.

You can't go wrong with either the 60c or 76c units. The fact that the 76 is billed for Marine means absolutely no difference in it's performance on land. Apart from the obvious physical shape difference and map memory capacity the only important differences are that the 76 floats in water and has a slightly enhanced base map installed. (who uses the basemap anyway)

Other than that they both excel on road navigation with City Select and on the trails with Mapsource Topo or the new Metroquide North America.

Cheers, Olar

I was in the exact same boat as you and was concerned over the form-factor for the 76cs (buttons on top). I decided to buy it after looking at it at a local Galyns (sp?). It is an absolutely great unit. I actually prefer the buttons on top in the car -- makes it easier to push. I am 100% glad I did not get scared off and buy the 60c instead. The extra memory is well worth the price and has already come in handy.

TheHFamily

I just went through the same thing. I bought the 60C because I liked the feel of it better. The memory is plenty for me also. I can load street level maps and topo maps for my entire home state, Indiana.

Go to a store that has both and play with them in your hands, thats what I did and could not be happier with the 60 series.

Good luck,

Lakedawgs

I did like Lakedawgs suggested when I bought mine and ended up with the 60CS. After using it for a couple of months I would modify my purchase a little and buy the 60C instead. I haven't found the compass or the barometer to be worth the extra pruchase price. You can't go wrong with either the 60 or 76, but I would look online for my purchase. Local prices are highway robbery.

:D

I have the 76CS and the basemap is good enough for me to do all my autorouting on. I had the 60cs on order and canceled it when the 76CS with twice the memory came out for only $35 more.

There is now a $50 rebate on the 76 series so the 76C(S) is about the same price as the 60C(S).

The 76C(S) has a better base map and more memory. Go for the 76C(S).

That is a lot of good input, thanks. I am oddly put off a bit with the buttons on the 76 being "topside", but suppose I will get used to it.

I really, really wish that Garmin used a standard memory card of some sort on their receivers; it would be a no-brainer for me to drop at least a 512m card on it, as cheap as they are for even quality makes these days.

Can anyone think of any downsides to the 76CS versus the 60CS, before I go plunk for an Xmas present for self? Also which of the software packages would you recommend, topo wise and car wise? What accessories have been worth it to you, for either use?

Am thinking so far for mobile use a power kit, mount of some sort, and one of those high gain magnetic mount external antennas for the jeep top. For the woods, I'd love to have arbitrary 24k topo data for my hiking areas (locally the caches look pretty good, but I'd use this unit for backpacking trips as well, and not just in the national parks . . .) Is there such a compatible data set abvailable out there?

Thanks for all the help folks, just trying to hold these purchase to one every 3 or 4 years, where possible :huh:

The ONLY reason to buy the 60 over the 76 is if you hate the 76 feel..the 60 does nothing better save for being narrower slightly, the 76 has a better basemap more memory and floats.

I'll only add that "floats" is a good thing if the GPSr drops out of your boat on a lake, and not such a good thing if you drop it into a swift-moving mountain stream.

Twice the map memory makes the 76 a great choice (if you don't mind a clunky floating GPSr) :huh:

As I stated before -- I actually prefer the buttons on top. I am sure you can read plenty on this forum for both sides of that issue. I really suggest you go to a store that has both and take a look. I don't think you will be turned off by the slightly bigger size (which I could not really tell) or the buttons on top of the 76. The software is the same on both and that makes both very easy to use.

In terms of software I only have for the car -- City Select v6 is great. You can go to the garmin website and see coverage for each package and make sure it has what you are looking for before you buy. Also, GSAK is a great program for use with geocaching.

If you are like me you really ponder before making a big pricey decision like this -- my advice: go with your gut, buy it and enjoy.

TheHFamily

As far as software goes, only Mapsource products will work on the GPSr. The City Select is a great package. The TOPO package is ok with its biggest limitation being the maps are 100K and not 24K. The only 24K maps are in the National Parks Program maps by Mapsource. If you are near or in National parks a lot the you are fine. I use NG TOPO for PC mapping (at 24K), so the Mapsource TOPO was a little dissapointing.

Go to http://www.garmin.com/cartography/# at Garmin's site and you can get the lowdown on all the software and see map viewers for coverage of the different packages.

I chose the 60C over the 76C mainly on the way if felt in my hand. Personally I felt the 76 was a little clunkier. And after some research felt the memory on the 60C was plenty my use. I figure if I can fit my entire home state, street level and topo on the 60, that was plenty.

I also chose not to go with the CS after talking to many people who say the compass and barometer were of little use, but thats obviously up to your needs. I did not feel I needed $650+ worth of GPS (after all the software and accessories), but it sure has been a fun purchase.

I bought the car power adapter, must have if you travel. The magnetic antenna mount, have not used yet, but will for a trip next week.

The best accessory so far is a RAM windsheild mount. It was $40+ but I have heard slightly sketchy reports about the Garmin windshield mount and figured what the heck, spend the money. Cound not be happier with the RAM mount.

Again, if you have not played with both units, get to a store that has them and get them in your hands.

Its a lot of coin, get what you really want if its in your price range.

Good luck,

Lakedawgs

Before you buy, take a look at the Quest unit by Garmin. It'll give you all the features of an automotive GPSr (and ships with City Select v6) as well as being durable and portable enough to use for caching. I've very, very happy with mine and it's been a champ for both urban caching and rural/camping caching. It's also about the same price as a 60c but has more features...not to mention the aforementioned inclusion of City Select.

Thanks for the input on this; anyone have any recommendations for an external antenna that they are using with these units?

I'm not sure if the accessories are interchangeable, but I am going to try out both the 60CS and 76CS before I buy. I do not -need- the extra memory of the 76, but if I can get it during the rebate period, both appear to be around $370, before accessories and software.

Thanks for the replies.

Hate to throw in another option at this point, but you could get a Pocket PC with CF GPS with both normal reception for road use and highly sensitive satellite reception in heavy foliage hiking areas. The color dispay is twice that of the 60. Then you can use it for paperles caching, voice and visual directed autonavigation in your car and 24K topo maps from National Geographic. Then you can get a relative cheaper handheld GPS as backup or use for compass and associate use.

Another advantage of the PPC is you can use it for business as well as they come with Outlook office programs for calender, contacts, To DO lists, email, etc and will allow a walkaround computer so to speak.

I've owned a magellan trailblazer12 for 5 or 6 years now and did the geocaching with it for a couple of years now, but used a compass with it. Now I have a garmin map60c and enjoy it very much. If you ever buy a garFlame1 magellan always keep your trailblazer for a backup because my brother in law had an etrex and it went blank on him while walking in the deep woods. Good think we had FRS radios that day because he would have been lost for a few hours. I'm keeping my old trailblazer for a secondary way out of the woods. Just to let you know whatever you want to buy keep the old one just the same for backup.

Thanks for the input on this; anyone have any recommendations for an external antenna that they are using with these units?

I'm not sure if the accessories are interchangeable, but I am going to try out both the 60CS and 76CS before I buy. I do not -need- the extra memory of the 76, but if I can get it during the rebate period, both appear to be around $370, before accessories and software.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not using an external antenna with my 76CS - and I use it a lot under the heavy tree cover of Northern Idaho and the only time I've lost signal is when I put in my pack and gets sideways. I used in the car in the cup holders and it keeps lock there too.

Good to know that the 76CS gets a good lock under a variety of conditions. I will probably get a good external antenna for it anyway, just to get the maximum number of satellites I can. Call it geek factor :(

I plan on powering it from the vehicle when in the vehicle, so I'm not too concerned about the external antenna using up power, though efficiency never hurts. I will now try to narrow down some accessories for it . . .

Metroguide or City Select for city driving? Topo for woodsy things, I only see one choice there . . . and an external antenna. For routing in my truck, I don't think the 8' Garmin cable on their external antenna will be enough :( radio habits die hard, and I'd like to mount it fairly centered on the roof, towards the center of the ground plane.

I may have to get a good mount for it yet, I'd like it to be sort of in my 'driving' field of view in the truck, but not really in the sun too much, etc. I'll keep researching, and reading your opinions here <grin>

As far as basemap coverage goes, I think both units use the exact same basemap. But I could be wrong. If you are going to get Mapsource, thats irrelevant anyway.

Lakedawgs

You are wrong friend, do a quick search, pictures comparing cities on the basemap between the two units show the difference, the basemap in the 76 is the same as the V, or if you have a large rand mcnally atlas, it has every street and road shown on the big pages..IE more than enough for traveling across country...obviously the basemap is not to be used as much when navigating int he cities..but if you have to drive across the country..it does very well...at least the several times I have done some long trips.

You are wrong friend, do a quick search, pictures comparing cities on the basemap between the two units show the difference, the basemap in the 76 is the same as the V

Yes, and you can get a good estimate of the basemap size from the size of the user part of map memory and noting that memory devices always come in powers of two.

So the V has 19 MB of user memory + 13 MB of basemap = 32 MB total map memory.

The 76c/cs has 115 MB of user-memory + 13 MB basemap = 128 MB.

The 60c/cs has 56 MB of user-memory + 8 MB basemap = 64 MB.

The Quest has 115 MB of user-memory + 13 MB basemap = 128 MB.

The regular Legend and Vista also have 8 MB basemaps (8 + 8 = 16; and 24 + 8 = 32), but those basemaps don't support auto-routing data and therefore have room for more detail than the 8 MB auto-routing basemap of the 60c/cs.

Good to know that the 76CS gets a good lock under a variety of conditions.  I will probably get a good external antenna for it anyway, just to get the maximum number of satellites I can.  Call it geek factor  :P

I plan on powering it from the vehicle when in the vehicle, so I'm not too concerned about the external antenna using up power, though efficiency never hurts.  I will now try to narrow down some accessories for it . . .

Metroguide or City Select for city driving?  Topo for woodsy things, I only see one choice there . . . and an external antenna.  For routing in my truck, I don't think the 8' Garmin cable on their external antenna will be enough  :laughing: radio habits die hard, and I'd like to mount it fairly centered on the roof, towards the center of the ground plane.

I may have to get a good mount for it yet, I'd like it to be sort of in my 'driving' field of view in the truck, but not really in the sun too much, etc.  I'll keep researching, and reading your opinions here <grin>

I suggest a RAM windshield mount and a Gillson external antenna (3' 9' or 16' cables). The 60/76 taked the MCX/OSX connection.

Edit: to add links.

Edited by Sputnik 57
It does not appear you have to purchase from their site to use the coupon.

I am pretty sure that they don't sell any product on their web site. They have a list of vendors that you could buy from. The only problem you could possibly run into is if you buy a unit on ebay. It says NO ONLINE AUCTIONS to get rebate.