Mapsource: Loads Maps In 2-3 States?

Hi

I think it's all or nothing when downloading map info to your gpsr.

You have to make up what they call a "map set". All this means is

you select sections of the map with the map tool. As these turn pink

they will add up the memory required on the bottom left of the screeen.

(make sure you have this left panel showing. I made that mistake for a while)

Anyway when you click on everything you want to load onto your gpsr and you have not exceeded its memory max limitations. You download it all at once.

(The first thing it does is erase whatever was there last.)

So if you want two states and you have the memory room, download them

both at the same time.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder
Anyway when you click on everything you want to load onto your gpsr and you have not exceeded its memory max limitations. You download it all at once.

(The first thing it does is erase whatever was there last.)

So if you want two states and you have the memory room, download them both at the same time.

I have several Garmin GPSRs and one trick I always do prior to downloading maps, is to upload the contents of the current map set, even if the GPSR is empty. This won't upload the maps themselves, just the descriptions.

As wingryder said, when you download, you always overwrite, but if you upload the descriptions first, you will know what you already have, even if it has to download it again.

This also has the benefit of telling MapSource which unit you have and how much memory it has available for downloading. As you approach and exceed the memory capacity of your device, MapSource will tell you so.

I keep a 'saved' set of maps for my home state. I can load my entire home state with street level and topo maps (Indiana). If I ever am out of my home state I load a new set of maps for my destination and when I get home I reload my saved 'home' maps and am good to go. Not a big deal but it saves a bit of time when I want to reload my home area after a trip.

Lakedawgs