Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

hmmm...been a while since i've been here.hows the cache action in slo county doing these days? do you still have box canyon up geo_cats?

Yep, still got it going. It was our first cache, very close to our home and in a great location. So yes, I will keep it going. :D

New caches are posted each week but I feel that the sport has lost some of the activity of a few years ago. Oreopony and I were just discussing that a while ago. But some of us are still active and encouraging the sport. OP is doing a course on Geocaching this summer for OLLI and Jim and I will be helping her. OLLI sponsors short classes for seniors and retired folk. We did one last summer in Irish Hills.

I will be placing a cache or two as soon as I get my replacement GPSr. :D

Hey, are we POCs going to get together sometime? There's a new cacher interested in meeting the group and some old ones that have never been able to attend a function.

:D

What say, a picnic somewhere, a feast of pizza, an evening of fine dining in tux and cocktail dresses? Yeah right. Me who's never worn a tux and am afraid my suit would fit more than a bit snug. :D

So what say, anyone got any ideas?

Hey, are we POCs going to get together sometime? There's a new cacher interested in meeting the group and some old ones that have never been able to attend a function.

What say, a picnic somewhere, a feast of pizza, an evening of fine dining in tux and cocktail dresses? Yeah right. Me who's never worn a tux and am afraid my suit would fit more than a bit snug. :D

I'll be in Arroyo Grande on May 2nd. How about Pizza? :D

oh nooooo. :D On May 2nd I'll be at Disneyland. When will you be around again?

Not sure exactly when. Since my summer schedule is full, I would estimate sometime in the Fall.

Now that I think about it, Disneyland and the other anahiem attractions sounds tempting, can I go with?

MM

Not sure exactly when. Since my summer schedule is full, I would estimate sometime in the Fall.

Now that I think about it, Disneyland and the other anahiem attractions sounds tempting, can I go with?

MM

Sure you can come and all poison oakers, too. I plan on doing some geocaching in the park. They have some great virtual, multi caches. Last year I did a multi, virtual at and around Downtown Disney and it was soooo fun! I highly recommend it and there was no entrance fee for that one. That would be great if we had an event there or at California Adventure. May 1st is CA and May 2nd is Disneyland.

hmmm...been a while since i've been here.hows the cache action in slo county doing these days? do you still have box canyon up geo_cats?

Yep, still got it going. It was our first cache, very close to our home and in a great location. So yes, I will keep it going. :D

New caches are posted each week but I feel that the sport has lost some of the activity of a few years ago. Oreopony and I were just discussing that a while ago. But some of us are still active and encouraging the sport. OP is doing a course on Geocaching this summer for OLLI and Jim and I will be helping her. OLLI sponsors short classes for seniors and retired folk. We did one last summer in Irish Hills.

I will be placing a cache or two as soon as I get my replacement GPSr. :D

you started about the time I was winding down due to the birth of my daughter.Now she's 3 years old and probably can appreciate a "treasure hunt".I think I'll have to dust off my gpsr and take her out caching.

I read the article too and had to laugh at the officer's quote:

Mulhall said, ...what he would like is that the people involved would voluntarily let the police department know where the geocaches are so if a similar situation arrises, they will know off the bat that it is a geocache and not a bomb.

Atascadero News

I think they should get their own GC.com account and familiarize themselves with the waypoints - especially since the caches sometimes go AWOL.

[They could hike out to a few, snag a few finds and any lurking ne're-do-wells]

Edit:added link

Edited by Oreo Pony

Before we had our Mega event in February, I met with the Chief in Temecula, and an Lt in Murrieta. They both had their folks get familiar with the site so they could quickly check the site in case they had a call about a "suspicious" package.

Well, just over a week after the Mega event, the Murrieta PD got a call. :sad:

They blew it up anyway! I called the Lt the following week to chuckle about it, and he was upset that nobody checked the site. The cache was in a lone tree in the middle of a field...not a likely target.

Well, I heard from someone on the scene that the bomb squad rolled out their new remote-controlled robot to detonate the device...so of course they didn't want to check the site, they got to play with their new toy! :drama:

We had a good laugh over it, I contacted the owner, and she archived the cache. (I also told her she should seriously reconsider ever using cammoed pvc pipe again!)

The good news was, with all of that commotion, the local papers never caught wind of it, the PD was happy to use their gear, and we still have great communication lines with our local law enforcement!

Yep, still got it going. It was our first cache, very close to our home and in a great location. So yes, I will keep it going. :sad:

I will be placing a cache or two as soon as I get my replacement GPSr. :drama:

I haven't placed any because I'm leaving for Big Bear for the summer. Once I get back, I'll be placing quite a few, including a Paso Robles history tour multi-cache.

:drama:

What say, a picnic somewhere, a feast of pizza, an evening of fine dining in tux and cocktail dresses? Yeah right. Me who's never worn a tux and am afraid my suit would fit more than a bit snug. :sad:

I'm up for it! Except I can't do it until after August 19th, as that is when I'm back in town.

I haven't placed any because I'm leaving for Big Bear for the summer. Once I get back, I'll be placing quite a few, including a Paso Robles history tour multi-cache.

I'll look forward to seeing that one! I'll make the trip back home to check it out. I haven't been back in town since 2000! (PRHS Class of 1980)

Edited by Cornerstone4

Callin' all Poison Oak Cachers... locals and those who are on the central coast vacationing already. :anitongue:

I'm planning to post events for Sunday, June 10th at 11:00 and 11:15 a.m. at Atascadero Lake. (Flash Mob Geocaching-style event then a good ol' fashioned event.)

Hold the date -- more to follow as I get info set up.

OP

I'm planning to post events for Sunday, June 10th at 11:00 and 11:15 a.m. at Atascadero Lake. (Flash Mob Geocaching-style event then a good ol' fashioned event.)

OP

Date held. Flash mob what?? Do I have to flash something? I haven't flashed in decades. :anitongue:

BTW. what is the dates for OLLI?

Callin' all Poison Oak Cachers... locals and those who are on the central coast vacationing already. :D

OP

Bummer!

Wish I could go. I'll be in Reno the following weekend though.

Maybe I will win the lottery and retire early.

Callin' all Poison Oak Cachers... locals and those who are on the central coast vacationing already. :P

OP

I've marked my calendar. Finally I might be able to meet all you poisonoakers.

edit: tag repair

Edited by Moose Mob
Do I have to flash something?

Simmer down there, big fella. :P Don't get all riled up & there won't be any trouble. :)

flash mob (FLASH mawb) n. A large group of people who gather in a usually predetermined location, perform some brief action, and then quickly disperse. —v., —adj.

—flash mobber n.

—flash mobbing pp.

[perform some brief action] ... in our case we'll be partaking in a quick meal - a Hershey Kiss.

OSHR 2168

Lecture: Cal Poly TBD

Sat., Aug. 18, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.

Field Trip: Reservoir Canyon

Sat., Aug. 25, 9:00 a.m. – Noon

Maximum Class Size: 15

2 meetings

Do I have to flash something?

Simmer down there, big fella. :P Don't get all riled up & there won't be any trouble. :)

flash mob (FLASH mawb) n. A large group of people who gather in a usually predetermined location, perform some brief action, and then quickly disperse. —v., —adj.

—flash mobber n.

—flash mobbing pp.

[perform some brief action] ... in our case we'll be partaking in a quick meal - a Hershey Kiss.

OSHR 2168

Lecture: Cal Poly TBD

Sat., Aug. 18, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.

Field Trip: Reservoir Canyon

Sat., Aug. 25, 9:00 a.m. – Noon

Maximum Class Size: 15

2 meetings

If you had called it a "Flash Moose" then I would have been been all over it.

Link to Flash Mob Wiki

In my searches for caches there I found one that is a puzzle cache 1/2 a mile from my family home. Maybe one of you can figure it out because I'm stumped. Take a look and see if you can figure it out.

I would suggest some research. This should get you started in the right direction:

Hidden Mars Messages Found

Right you are. Spirit, I couldn't guess that one. I should'a Googled it. Thanks

Last weekend I got to go to L.A. to a granddaughter's college graduation and while there did a bit of caching near the West Covina area. I looked for area the hike in that had interesting caches. This was harder than you'd think because so many caches down there are micros. Even where they could easily place regular caches they put boring, no thought micros.

I don't know about you but I find micros not of interest for the most part unless they are a clever hide in an urban location. Of these I can only think of a few I liked. And if you have younger kids along, micros are of little interest to them.

OP, how's the mob thing going?

Jim, how many GPSr s do you have these days. We'll need as many as we can get for the OLLI class.

Last weekend I got to go to L.A. to a granddaughter's college graduation and while there did a bit of caching near the West Covina area. I looked for area the hike in that had interesting caches. This was harder than you'd think because so many caches down there are micros. Even where they could easily place regular caches they put boring, no thought micros.

I don't know about you but I find micros not of interest for the most part unless they are a clever hide in an urban location. Of these I can only think of a few I liked. And if you have younger kids along, micros are of little interest to them.

OP, how's the mob thing going?

Jim, how many GPSr s do you have these days. We'll need as many as we can get for the OLLI class.

I have 2 that will be available for the class.

Regret to say that I will NOT be able to attend the event on June 10th:( Hope to make it to the next one!

Steps in and looks around. ;) Ooooooo, locals. I think I may like this place. :D Not available for the June 10th meet though. :D Anniversary that day and caching I think is off the list. :D

Glad you found us locals! Sorry you can't make the 10th - we understand & agree. ;) Drop a note in here when you're headed this way some weekend this summer. Group hikes can sometimes be coordinated on short notice. OP

I've published the June 10th Event(s) - GC1397K and GC13983

If you can only drop in for a few - the Flash Mob Event is only 15 minutes - be sure to be there right at 11 a.m.

We'll splurge for a traditional potluck gathering shortly thereafter at the other side of the Lake park.

We're in for the flashermob. I'll do the logger thing and Rikki can be the assistant logger.

I've published the June 10th Event(s) - GC1397K and GC13983

If you can only drop in for a few - the Flash Mob Event is only 15 minutes - be sure to be there right at 11 a.m.

We'll splurge for a traditional potluck gathering shortly thereafter at the other side of the Lake park.

We're in for the flashermob. I'll do the logger thing and Rikki can be the assistant logger.

Done! You're officially the flashermobberlogger & assistant flashermobberlogger (respectively). :rolleyes:

OP & Friends -

Just returned from a whirlwind (OK...three weeks isn't exactly WHIRLWIND...but still...we covered a lot of ground) tour of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah (again). Arrived home on June 10 to discover we had missed by mere HOURS the Big Flash! (I know...I know...that's not what it was called, but given GeoCats response, I couldn't let it go!)

Getting back into the game, but hoping to keep it mellow. Books to sell, kids to raise, laundry to do...well, at least the first two are priorties! :)

BooBooBee

Well, we're off to Minnesota for 8 days on Friday. We're going to try to do some touring, fishing, visiting, ride a paddlewheeler, geocache, attend a BBQ and relax. :rolleyes:

I have no idea how much relaxing we can fit in around all the other things. Maybe I can combine fishing and relaxing. Yah sure, I t'ink dat'll work.

OP & Friends -

Just returned from a whirlwind (OK...three weeks isn't exactly WHIRLWIND...but still...we covered a lot of ground) tour of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah (again). Arrived home on June 10 to discover we had missed by mere HOURS the Big Flash! (I know...I know...that's not what it was called, but given GeoCats response, I couldn't let it go!)

Getting back into the game, but hoping to keep it mellow. Books to sell, kids to raise, laundry to do...well, at least the first two are priorties! <_<

BooBooBee

I'll have to look through my cache logs and see if you stopped by through our neighborhood - many of our caches were designed with Cal Poly know-how (BSME CPSUSLO, class of '94)

I have no idea how much relaxing we can fit in around all the other things. Maybe I can combine fishing and relaxing. Yah sure, I t'ink dat'll work.

If you're taking the green umbrella chair set, then I know you'll get some good relaxing in! Have fun!

Unfortunately missed the recent event, home with sick child. My family is new to geocaching (Dec 06), and would love to meet others, esp with kids. We are out hiking often, and often look for geocaches, but aren't that good at finding them yet. *sigh* Hopefully will get a chance to meet some of you all soon. :o

Welcome slomom! Sorry you couldn't make it, but I know how it goes with the kids. This was the first local event where the scheduling worked out and we were able to attend. Hang in there, there will be more opportunities!

I can also sympathize with being frustrated in finding caches at first. It was a steep learning curve for us during our first outings. We never realized how creative the hides can be. We have gotten better with more experience, but some caches still elude us (even after four or five tries). It helps to make sure the last log is a find. If the last log is a DNF, there is a possibility the cache has gone missing. Also, I would suggest that you keep the micros to a minimum in the beginning. It helps to keep the frustration level down and enjoyment/success factor high (which is essential with kids).

How old are your children? I have a nine year-old who goes out with me often. Maybe we can arrange a caching outing some day this summer.

I agree, some caches are really clever (difficult) camos.

I know Rikki and I are not big on micros and we don't have young kids. I see the purpose of micros in an urban setting where you would have a hard time hiding a regular cache but when you have a whole woods to hide one in I don't understand the reason for a micro. If we see a cache is a micro we usually just avoid it.

On another subject, at the last get together camo tape was discussed and someone said it could be purchased at the Army surplus store in SLO. I stopped there today and they said they haven't had any for over a year. They suggested Miners Hardware and I just called there and they said they do carry it. I'l pick some up this weekend and let you know what I find out.

That would be great. My kids are 3yo and 16 months. I also have an 11 year old niece living with me, although she is visiting other family this summer. She should be back the last week of July. I'll try to keep up better on this thread, in case you are interested in getting together, or you can shoot me an email. :D

Just a quick follow up on the camo tape. I found some at Miners Hardware (Atas) and it works great. I have made up half a dozen cache containers and will be putting some out in the next few weeks. Indeed, I just put a new puzzle cache out in Los Osos that is an easy puzzle to solve and fun for the whole family. (Be sure to bring some mosquito repellant.)

I noticed a few weeks ago that GC.com changed the mapping program and didn't think about it much but tonight I wanted to sellect just certain caches to view like you used to could but this map program doesn't have that capability. Is the only way to do that now is create a pocket query? Or is there something I'm missing?

Ammo Containers are definetely the best at keeping their contents safe! I checked up on the Pt. Sal cache yesterday and the nice smoothe green ammo container that BooBooBee gave me in June of 06 looked like this on the outside! The seals were still totally good and showed no signs of deterioration.35f5a00f-e97e-4792-b911-6c9855cde4f1.jpg

Also, this cache had the privelege of being muggled by Willie Richerson who is the head caretaker of Guadalupe Beach and the dunes up to Mussel Point....I feel sort of honored that he muggled our cache....I had gone on a group hike a couple of years ago in which he was the docent and he is such a good story teller and is very knowledgeable about the whole area. He even got me to appreciate the intricacies of the Snowy Plover.....for at least 6 months anyway 0)As always, the views are fantastic! ad27bee9-f135-4012-9b13-2930881fb3b8.jpg

Just dropping in to say "HI"! I went to Big Bear again this summer and now I'm back! I'm almost ready to place an offset multi-cache, but I'm having a hard time finding an urban spot for the cache. It is a 4 ballsize tennis ball can and I was thinking of getting a metal cap and throwing down a pipe, but I can't find any around downtown to put it in! Any suggestions?

Also, is the POC site still active? In recent news, they are still talking about the Nov. 2005 event!