Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

My curiosity was piqued by the posts on the Caliente cache. Doing a little research, I found some additional information on the hike along with some pictures. One of them looks like the cache may need a little maintainence?

IMG_3114.sized.jpg

Here's a picture of the container from the cache description:

63c6db91-558f-47ff-bf3d-1620ee39c16a.jpg

Looks like a great hike/bike. I bet it will be spectacular with spring flowers in bloom.

Hey Cachers,

I am just "caching" up on all the posts. It's been a real busy year for me. I just got back from Texas A&M (the land of y'all) for some live fire training at Brayton Fire Training Field in College Station, Texas. It was an awesome training. I did find a little time to do some caching. The one I want to share in particular was a challenge, a Hard Place. My GPS kept taking me to the middle of a small creek. Just when I was ready to give up (20 Min.), another cacher came by and gave me a hint. There was a BIG rock in the creek. It had been drilled out and a 3/4" pvc pipe was glued in it with a cap and washer. Underwater cache, who would of thought. Now don't anybody get any idea's ...LOL. Don't forget to email our POC address poison_oak_cachers@hotmail.com if you are putting together a POC event so I can get it up on our POC Webpage.

Happy Caching, Steve

Ca Racetramp on GC.com

Welcome Home Racetramp. Glad you're home safe & smarter. The school & the geocaching tricks ought to make our lives here on the central coast safer & more interesting :ph34r:

Wanting to hike more, but not wanting to be out alone with two children, (Hubby had knee surgery recently), I’ve begun hiking with organized groups. Here are some websites I’ve found that have scheduled hikes and walks. :lol:

Schedule of Hikes with the Santa Lucia Chapter of the Sierra Club

Nature Walks with the Central Coast Natural History Museum (Morro Bay)

and

The Land Conservancy of San Luis Obispo County Newsletter

I’ve made some new friends and met some old, (saw Naturesprite Saturday on the Monarch Butterfly Hike at Black Lake). A lot of the hikes take us on trails where there are already caches and where there NEED to be caches. Hope to see you on the trails too. :o

OP

:huh: Hi, thought I'd check to see if anything new was going on. I see OP is looking to go to Pinnacles in March. Too bad we'll have to miss that, sounds like fun. I'm flying to Tallahassee to visit my daughter and g-kids that week. I have been in touch with some Florida cachers to get names of some of their favorite caches. I want to introduce my daughter and grandkids to this great sport and see if I can get them hooked.

I'm planning to do a big hike on this Saturday on the West Cuesta ridge in honor of my 60th BD. I plan to leave a car at Cerro Alto campgrounds and then be dropped off at Santa Lucia cache and hike the ridge trail. It looks to be about 10 miles. If anyone is interested in walking with me, feel free to call. 462-1248

:o Hi, thought I'd check to see if anything new was going on. I see OP is looking to go to Pinnacles in March. Too bad we'll have to miss that, sounds like fun. I'm flying to Tallahassee to visit my daughter and g-kids that week. I have been in touch with some Florida cachers to get names of some of their favorite caches. I want to introduce my daughter and grandkids to this great sport and see if I can get them hooked.

I'm planning to do a big hike on this Saturday on the West Cuesta ridge in honor of my 60th BD. I plan to leave a car at Cerro Alto campgrounds and then be dropped off at Santa Lucia cache and hike the ridge trail. It looks to be about 10 miles. If anyone is interested in walking with me, feel free to call. 462-1248

Geocats: Congrats on your 60th! I wish I could make that walk with you this Saturday, unfortunately my wife is very sick, and my knee is still sore from a mountain bike crash last week for a ten mile hike. You have a GREAT DAY!

Pointsaljim

Hey POCer's,

You've got to check out BooBooBee's Rock-n-Roll cache. Heli2reg landed a small helicopter at the end of the Garcia Ridge Jeep Road !!!(he posted a pic to prove it). This is an extreme cache to say the least. Naturesprite rode his bike all the way from Pozo, most people use jeeps, I almost succombed to heat exhaustion hiking it, hm... I wonder how many other ways 'cachers can access this cache!!!!

Heli2reg landed a small helicopter at the end of the Garcia Ridge Jeep Road !!!(he posted a pic to prove it). This is an extreme cache to say the least. Naturesprite rode his bike all the way from Pozo, most people use jeeps, I almost succombed to heat exhaustion hiking it, hm... I wonder how many other ways 'cachers can access this cache!!!!

:o Tell you what, I'll give $100 to anyone who rows or paddles their boat out there. :(

Heli2reg landed a small helicopter at the end of the Garcia Ridge Jeep Road !!!(he posted a pic to prove it). This is an extreme cache to say the least. Naturesprite rode his bike all the way from Pozo, most people use jeeps, I almost succombed to heat exhaustion hiking it, hm... I wonder how many other ways 'cachers can access this cache!!!!

:D Tell you what, I'll give $100 to anyone who rows or paddles their boat out there. :)

:o:):o:(:(:D:D:(:D:DB):o

"R"ock 'n' Roll by BooBooBee Family

Well I did it. A near 11 mile hike to celebrate my birthday. Yesterday I dropped my stalwart PT Cruiser off at Cerro Alto Campground and had Rikki drive me up Cuesta grade and drop me off at OP's Santa Lucia cache. I searched there and even with the clue was unable to find it. I guess it's MIA. (OP says this has happened before.)

The morning started with the mountains kinda hazy and on the ridge it was quite windy. I set off hiking along the ridge road and easily found RBC in the Botanical area. The winds steadily dropped during the day but there remained a ground haze all day but still clear enough to see from Cayucos to Montana de Oro and inland into San Luis on the south side and much of the north county on the north side.

I then hiked to The Treasure is Mine which is a bushwackers delight. I tried several approaches but gave it up as I wanted to complete my hike in a reasonable time. I would suggest using Google Earth to reconnoiter before attempting this one.

My next stop was Tassajera peak where I created a new cache entitled Elevation Celebration in honor of my 60 years. Watch for it soon. I was going to place it at the top but when I got there I saw that the peak is covered with an ugly antenna farm so I found a lovely spot nearby that has excellent views and a nice spot to picnic.

My next cache was Vista Cerro Alto which is a hard vertical hike and another DNF. :anicute: Apparently there has been problems with this cache in recent months and someone even relocated it! Whereever it was relocated to was not near enough the coords and the description didn't match any boulder near them.

I then continued on to a trail that cuts over to the campgrounds and walked the final leg of this near 11 mile hike. My feet and body were doing pretty well to this point but the last 45 minutes all downhill took a toll on my feet and knees. I was sure glad to see my cruiser in the parking lot. :cool:

I thought about this hike last night and I believe this is the longest I've hiked in my entire life. I did some backpacking in my youth but I think about 8-9 miles was the longest stretch.

If anyone had told me two years ago I would take up a hobby that had me climbing mountains for fun, I would have told them they are NUTS! I mean completely out of their tree! But here I am, climbing mountains, having fun and getting healthy and building stamina I have never had in my life. I tell you, I love this sport. :P

My family and I just started geocaching this past weekend on a whim and had a great time. What a fun outdoor family activity. :cry:

:laughing: Welcome to the fabulous sport/hobby/social event/addiction of Geocaching. You will find that this is a great family activity with benefits to all. Tell us a little about yourselves.

The Poison Oak Cachers is an informal, ad hoc group that meets a few times a year for a pizza or a picnic or a gourmet dinner with an open bar. (Well, so far no one has sprung for that, but we keep hoping. :laughing: )

If you want to join us, just say so and it be so. Easy, huh?

Some POC members are also wanting to do a group campout this spring.

Welcome to the Poison Oak (itch, scratch) Cachers. :lol:

Vineyard Family, I see you list as a hobby,

Hobbies: Golf Flying

That sounds like an interesting spin on golf. How does one do golf flying? Is it with ultralites or with model airplanes?

I'm always interested in unususual sports. I'm trying to learn submarine flyfishing but I keep getting my gear hung up on the conning tower. Oh well, maybe with a bit more practice. :laughing:

Vineyard Family, I see you list as a hobby,

Hobbies: Golf Flying

That sounds like an interesting spin on golf. How does one do golf flying? Is it with ultralites or with model airplanes?

I'm always interested in unususual sports. I'm trying to learn submarine flyfishing but I keep getting my gear hung up on the conning tower. Oh well, maybe with a bit more practice. :D

:laughing: …Yes I don’t mean to brag, but I can hit the golfball a Loooong way. After that I need to get in my small private jet and chase after it. (did I say jet I meant plane ) That is why I thought this hobby might work out good for me. I do so much hunting for my golfball I might as well look for something else while I’m at it. I’m also in the Flying Samaritans and help by flying doctors and nurses into Mexico. Sooooo I do a little bit of local traveling. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Tony

Oh…btw I like margaritas! :D

I think that I can actually make it for at least one of the nights!! :anicute: I've done both West and East Pinnacles twice before I was a cacher and it is way cool!! The East side offers a great loop hike that takes you through a vast array of terrain and views. It's a semi-strenous hike that takes a while, (I think it's almost 6 miles), but well worth the effort :huh: Look forward to gleaning knowledge of the fauna and plant life!

I serviced a printer for a customer a while back and told her about geocaching. She just sent me an email that said;

" When you were here working on my printer, we discussed your interest in (passion for?) geocaching. After you left, I visited the web site you suggested and figured it would be something many Osher Lifelong Learning Institute "students" would really enjoy. Almost all of the classes involving hiking and/or geology have filled up very quickly. "

She and some other advisors with OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute), which seems to be for people 50 and up that enjoy learning new things, think a class on geocaching would be of much interest. It would be a 1 day class that would expose the 'students' to what geocaching is and doing some caches. The class would be sometime between May 30 through August 25.

Is anyone interested in helping put on a one day geocache seminar?

I would guess we would take them on a hike that has several caches along it's course. And maybe even place a new cache as part of the experience.

Hey! I was supposed to get the invitation FIIIRRRRST!

I hiked with Karin the other day ( Osher Organizer ) and she invited ME to teach a class too. Geo_Cats, we must be making Geocaching sound like the great sport it is. :unsure::unsure:

I'm too young to be a member of the Osher Institute, but it sure sounds like a great group. Let's put something together. OP

Hey! I was supposed to get the invitation FIIIRRRRST!

I hiked with Karin the other day ( Osher Organizer ) and she invited ME to teach a class too. Geo_Cats, we must be making Geocaching sound like the great sport it is. :ph34r::o

I'm too young to be a member of the Osher Institute, but it sure sounds like a great group. Let's put something together. OP

I guess we must run in the same crowd. ;)

I will forward the email I got from Jean Anderson to you. It details a little more of their thoughts. Karen thought that it could be a two day thing but to keep it simple I think it would be better to have the 'students' register with Geocaching.com and do some homework prior to the outing. We could have them read up on what geocaching is, it's history, some terminolgy and some of the caches in the area.

Then we could take them out to a good trail with several caches along it. And it is my thought to actually place a OLLI cache also.

One suggestion for a geo trail would be

~ Celtic Hills CD Cache StumpView Where there’sa hill there’sa way! and then hike up further to place a new one. This is not a difficult trail and easy to access.

Do you have any suggested trails, ideas?

Anyone wishing to participate in the OLLI (Osher Lifetime Learning Institute) seminar to teach geocaching to a group of avid muggles please email me so we can communicate faster. There is a deadline on submitting the course outline soon. Alan-a@pacbell.net

Also include your phone number, full name and a brief bio (like what you list on geocaching.com maybe).

Unless you have a better site to suggest, I am going with the Irish Hills area off Madonna road in SLO. There are 3 caches on the trail and we can easily continue on up the trail to create a new cache for this course.

OLLI, OLLI OVER ? :D

So far we have Rikki, Oreo Pony, Pointsaljim and myself. We will also need to see if we can borrow a couple GPSrs as I think we'll need more than 3.

Edited by Geo_cats

I have an extra GPS'r. I bought it specifically for this type of reason: So that I could have an extra one for friends and people who want to learn about geocaching without having to purchase a GPS right off the bat. etc. Irish Hills sounds great! ( I haven't been there yet, and I'm usually sort of good at finding caches, so maybe I could be the guinea pig demonstrator!)

I have an extra GPS'r. I bought it specifically for this type of reason: So that I could have an extra one for friends and people who want to learn about geocaching without having to purchase a GPS right off the bat. etc.

Good, that will be a help. Jim, send me your email address, I seem to have lost it. :anicute:

Hey All, Just checkin in. It looks like there is still a fair amount of activity. I've been a bit dormant lately (lots of travel) but did get down to Conejo Cacher's country last weekend WITH my gps. I'll tell ya, the cache density in their area is impressive. I found my first new CA Geocoin. These are cool looking coins with color graphics on the back. I'll be placing it in a local POC area cache soon, so keep your eyes open if you want to see it next.

Hope everyone is having a good season so far!

NS

Went on a hike today in San Ysidro Canyon to the falls. I can't believe that no one has placed a cache in this lush, beautiful canyon. I hope to be the 1st. The closet cache is up another trail that is about 4/10 mile away from the trail head. It's called "Why, Man? By the time we got back it was dark and I chickened out looking for the other cache after hiking a short distance up the seldom used trail where "Why, Man? is located. I was suddenly afraid of mountain lions!! Anyways, I recommend a cache being placed in Upper San Ysidro Canyon. I posted pics to "Why, Man?

Not sure if I will be able to make the Meet-n-Greet in Atascadero on the 26th.

I definitely gotta get my geocache fix at least once a week, even at the expense of my health AND SNOWSKIING IN UTAH!

Felt myself gettin' sick on March 25, and was resting, but got stir crazy in the afternoon and went and did an exhausting climb/pounding downhill to SLO Highest in the afternoon. The next day, my wife's boss wanted to go to Pt. Sal, and learn the game, sooo we all went out there and I let them find my new cache, "Karaline's 1st Point Sal Cache" and Panorama. Way sick the next 3 days, missed work one of them, then went and did Irish Hills with my daughter on March 30 'cause I felt a little bit better. Flew to Utah the next day to go skiing with my other daughter one day and to ski with my Son-in-Law on the other day. Raging fever on Friday night, too sick to ski on Saturday -_- Didn't feel much better on Sunday, (also did not ski), but in the late afternoon, I rounded up the kids and Suebee and we went and did some easy caches as far as walking was concerned, (2.5 miles roundtrip, flat), but tricky camo jobs:) Too sick on Monday to ski, flew back late Monday night felt terrible till 2:15 a.m. Tuesday and here I am on Tuesday night, Dave Hufde of KSBY reported that Thursday will be a dry day, and I'm already debating of whether to go 'cachin!!

I definitely gotta get my geocache fix at least once a week, even at the expense of my health

All this confirms my heartfelt belief, that we are ALL crazy in some ways. It's just that most of us are crazy in socially acceptable ways and don't go shooting up people or walking down main street in our birthday suit. But Jim, you are almost certifiable. :)

Well, back from Tallahassee and a nice visit with my daughter and four grandkids. Had a good time and did some geocaching most days. My daughter and her kids really enjoyed geocaching and before I returned I helped them place their first cache. Tallahassee has about half the density of caches that we have in SLO county but way more parks and places to hide them. Tallahassee has the most parks of almost any city I have ever seen! But 3/4 of their caches are micros! Even when there is plenty of hiding area for a full size cache??? I don't understand. I had to go through many caches in my PDA to find the regular caches because the kids were disappointed in micros. (I'm not a big fan of them either.)

When I have more time I will have to tell you about a few of the more fun ones we found.

I definitely gotta get my geocache fix at least once a week, even at the expense of my health AND SNOWSKIING IN UTAH!

Felt myself gettin' sick on March 25, and was resting, but got stir crazy in the afternoon and went and did an exhausting climb/pounding downhill to SLO Highest in the afternoon. The next day, my wife's boss wanted to go to Pt. Sal, and learn the game, sooo we all went out there and I let them find my new cache, "Karaline's 1st Point Sal Cache" and Panorama. Way sick the next 3 days, missed work one of them, then went and did Irish Hills with my daughter on March 30 'cause I felt a little bit better. Flew to Utah the next day to go skiing with my other daughter one day and to ski with my Son-in-Law on the other day. Raging fever on Friday night, too sick to ski on Saturday :lol: Didn't feel much better on Sunday, (also did not ski), but in the late afternoon, I rounded up the kids and Suebee and we went and did some easy caches as far as walking was concerned, (2.5 miles roundtrip, flat), but tricky camo jobs:) Too sick on Monday to ski, flew back late Monday night felt terrible till 2:15 a.m. Tuesday and here I am on Tuesday night, Dave Hufde of KSBY reported that Thursday will be a dry day, and I'm already debating of whether to go 'cachin!!

Definately you've got the "itch" that inspires us POCers to keep on keepin' on! Hope you're feeling better now Jim.

OP

Glad you're home safe & sound there Geo_cats! From reading your posts its sounds like we should be expecting a couple "interesting" caches from you some time in the future.

Great article you emailed around last night too. I'd like to use some of it next month in the Osher class.

After all these years I see that there is a geocaching group in my area. How does one become a member of PO Cachers? :P

Posting here is a great start! :) I don't see it now, but when you post a note in a topic, you can "subscribe" to it and get one email when someone posts here.

Us POCers are just a loose-knit group that typically gets together at events in the area every season or so. Nothing is planned right now, but set up a pocket query to search for events in our area and have it run once a month.

Sometimes we coordinate group hikes and we're headed into the prime hiking season so keep an eye out.

Glad you found us.

L'Oreo

I just subscribed to the topic. Thanks for the tip. Now I can watch for any loose-knit events (which are the kind I prefer, I'm very loose-knit myself - kinda like a really bad crocheted sweater :D )

This forum is new to me so if I make any faux paws (there's one now!) I apologize.

I'm going to Disneyland next week and I noticed there are some seemingly fun visual/multi caches down there. So this visit is going to be different and interesting compared to other times. I'm going to look for some TB's in SLO and see if any of them have a desire to head to Disneyland and CA.

Hello Everyone My handle as you can see is Nomyar, I have been caching for about a year now, and just stumbled on this group and would like to be a part of the POC Group, Look forward to meeting some of you espeacially Oreo Pony. Happy Caching. :lol:

Welcome Nomyar! Hey, I remember you! You found one of my more electrifying caches, didn't you? I remember your name - cute.

Glad you found the forums and in particular THIS one. Only took a year :D Makes me wonder how we can bring more folks to the forums and to the more social aspect of geocaching.

Do you do Pocket Queries or hand entered?

Hello Everyone My handle as you can see is Nomyar, I have been caching for about a year now, and just stumbled on this group and would like to be a part of the POC Group, Look forward to meeting some of you espeacially Oreo Pony. Happy Caching. :lol:

Welcome Nomyar! Hey, I remember you! You found one of my more electrifying caches, didn't you? I remember your name - cute.

Glad you found the forums and in particular THIS one. Only took a year :D Makes me wonder how we can bring more folks to the forums and to the more social aspect of geocaching.

Do you do Pocket Queries or hand entered?

Hi Oreo Pony

Yes I did find that cache, that is a great one. No I do not do Pocket Queries, I am not a premium member yet, one of these days I will be. I found the forums a while back but just hadn't found this one.

Thanks Geo_cats for turning me onto Gollum's Grotto!! Everyone who hasn't done this one should definetely do it, even if you're afraid to go in...at least take a look.... of course if you go in, you'll be amazed at how the area gets larger and larger and you can stand up and there's a curving passage way off of a chamber, and, and, and.....!!!!

Thanks Geo_cats for turning me onto Gollum's Grotto!! Everyone who hasn't done this one should definetely do it, even if you're afraid to go in...at least take a look.... of course if you go in, you'll be amazed at how the area gets larger and larger and you can stand up and there's a curving passage way off of a chamber, and, and, and.....!!!!

I'm not a fan of micros, but when a cache comes with such high recommendations it's hard to resist. I'll grab my husband and some coins and try to find Golum's Grotto when I get back from Vegas. I went to Disneyland last week with plans to do a virtual, multi-cache at the park, but I was having too much fun on the rides to actual do any hunting. The next day I did a virtual, multi-cache at Downtown Disney, which is free and I highly recommend it. The hunt let me to the discovery of an outdoor fireplace and sitting area that nobody knows about at the California Grand Hotel. Next weekend I'm going to Vegas to play in a volleyball tournament. I grabbed a TB, who's destination is to have a picture taken in a casino, but isn't it illegal to take pictures in casino's? Does anyone know anything about that?

I'm not a fan of micros, but when a cache comes with such high recommendations it's hard to resist. I'll grab my husband and some coins and try to find Golum's Grotto when I get back from Vegas. I went to Disneyland last week with plans to do a virtual, multi-cache at the park, but I was having too much fun on the rides to actual do any hunting. The next day I did a virtual, multi-cache at Downtown Disney, which is free and I highly recommend it. The hunt let me to the discovery of an outdoor fireplace and sitting area that nobody knows about at the California Grand Hotel. Next weekend I'm going to Vegas to play in a volleyball tournament. I grabbed a TB, who's destination is to have a picture taken in a casino, but isn't it illegal to take pictures in casino's? Does anyone know anything about that?

Hi slmslo

yes it is from my understanding that it is illegal to take pictures inside of casinos, but you could always ask the people at the front desk, they would be able to tell you.

. I grabbed a TB, who's destination is to have a picture taken in a casino, but isn't it illegal to take pictures in casino's? Does anyone know anything about that?

Hi slmslo

yes it is from my understanding that it is illegal to take pictures inside of casinos, but you could always ask the people at the front desk, they would be able to tell you.

Thanks nomyar! That's a good idea. I'll do that.

Hey everyone I came into a stash(75) of small plastic containers (used for taking water samples). they are maybe 1 inch by 4inch and would make for good micros. If anyone would like some let me know. Was think of making a cache of them. Or better yet let have a picnic and I will pass some out there.

and what's with the web page. Seem a bit out of date.