Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

We're back....

Right? Seems like GCing on the Central Coast dropped off again. But for a trickle of travelers through, we don't have too many new cachers in our area. Economy? Fuel prices? Humph! I think folks need a creative and fun outlet in times of media frenzy. Join me and let's get the word out about geocaching on the Central Coast.

I'm on the OSHER schedule to give a talk and lead a hike at Cal Poly on the 18th to the members of OSHER. And I'm going to reserve a conference room at the atascadero library for the 25th of Oct. for a meet n greet.

Anyone care to join me at either, pm me.

Edited by Oreo Pony

HOWDY! Well, my caching has been spotty this past 9 weeks. I thought we'd cache in each state (17) as we passed through, but there was SO Much to see and do that we didn't always time to hunt down a cache. Sometimes we hunted, didn't find and just let it go at that. BUT we did find our first Canada cache, some nice ones along Route 66, and a bunch in Washington that have been on my list for years.

I notice my caches here had some spurts of visitors while I was away. Someone also placed a cache about 300 yards from my front door in the private park here. I know they didn't seek permission (I've been forced onto the HOA board...ugh!), but I'm not likely to complain! :(

Geo_Cats- you got a new 5th wheel!? You lucky... uh... Did you see the trailer we scored JUST before we took off for our trip? It's about 13 feet long (including tongue length) with no potty, but it was still a huge step up from our tent livin'! Maybe next time we head out we'll have to take your fifth out for a stretch! :)

Anyone heard from PointSalJim? I haven't heard from him since an e-mail I received in...I think it was August. Can't seem to raise him. Everything alright around here?

The girls and I are sticking close to home after 9,611 miles on the road in 9 weeks or so. If you want to see the pix, check out the blog. They'll be there for awhile (jenpb.blogspot.com)

:D

BooBooBee

Hey there sweetie! Glad you're back! We sure enjoyed your blog. I'm green with envy at your being able to take such a long extended trip. I waannnna gooo!

I just chatted with Jim last Monday and he was headed to Big Sur this weekend and next. He'll probably chat with you early next week.

Well, back to work for me. Take care - Hope to see you soon. OP

Hi BooBooBee! It's great to have you back :laughing: We followed your blog pretty regularly......with all the great adventures that you and your girls were having I didn't want to load you down with e-mails to read. I finally did a couple of nice caches last weekend in Big Sur and hope to do a couple of more this weekend in Big Sur again.

I wasn't able to any caching this summer because I had a High Adventure Trip to Santa Rosa Island to organize and I just couldn't seem to get my scout troop interested in geocaching :lol: then I had the govt. fiscal year end rush to deal with in late August and September.

Hey there Oreo Pony! As part of the Santa Rosa Island thing I had to practice and learn ocean kayaking several times, and have basically enjoyed it, so I unfortunately won't be able to come to the Atascadero Library next weekend because I'm going out to Santa Cruz Island for some cave kayaking with a kayaking friend who went all out to be my kayak leader and keep those boys safe over at Santa Rosa and in Shell Beach.

Geocats: I'm up for a hike or two in November, I'd really like to do that new trail at the south end of Montano de Oro to Pt. Goiter, er I mean Pt. Buchon B)

So, OP, what's up for Saturday. I have it on my calendar but have not seen much about it. Is it just you and I again? That's fine too but hopefully we can get a few others to join us.

Things have been crazy and I have not gotten out like I want to. Maybe more in November.

Thanks for the welcome home! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm still having issues with Groundspeak which does NOT notify me when something posts here. I'm going to try unsubscribing from the topic tonight, and resubscribing. Perhaps that will refresh it. :unsure:

What's this about a hike along the new Montana de Oro trail in November? I may be up for that! Maybe the whole family will be up for it, but I'm available on my own most Fridays, with the whole family Saturdays as well as in the afternoon Sundays, and just the girls and me the remaining days of the week. I suspect this is a fairly easy (flat) trail.

The girls did GREAT on our trip, completing a few relatively long hikes, the last 5.1 miles in Chaco Canyon, New Mexico. Not bad for an ALMOST 6 year old! :) We meandered, explored, snacked, enjoyed the scenery. We had nowhere to be and all day to get there, so that's just about what we did - a 5 hour, 5 mile hike! Nothing like leisurely hiking! :)

Jen

Things have been crazy and I have not gotten out like I want to. Maybe more in November.

What's this about a hike along the new Montana de Oro trail in November? I may be up for that! Maybe the whole family will be up for it, but I'm available on my own most Fridays, with the whole family Saturdays as well as in the afternoon Sundays, and just the girls and me the remaining days of the week. I suspect this is a fairly easy (flat) trail.

Jen

Well I have been told of several people interested in a walk in Montana do Oro south. I'm for it so let's do it. How about Saturday the 1st or Sunday the 2nd? I figure maybe about 10:30am or so to give south county or SM people a chance to drive up.

What say you Jim, Jen, Laurie? Anyone else?

The 8th would work out better for me, but if everyone is going on the 1st, then I'll tell Carlos that I can't make another ride up Little Pine Mountain that he has planned for us on the 1st....frankly I've been sort of dreading that ride again since I did it last February and found the cache....I was so wasted I had to go to bed at 5:30 P.M. on a Saturday! Whatever time works out for everyone is fine with me, but 10:30 sounds pretty good.

The 8th would work out better for me, but if everyone is going on the 1st, then I'll tell Carlos that I can't make another ride up Little Pine Mountain that he has planned for us on the 1st....frankly I've been sort of dreading that ride again since I did it last February and found the cache....I was so wasted I had to go to bed at 5:30 P.M. on a Saturday! Whatever time works out for everyone is fine with me, but 10:30 sounds pretty good.

You'll just have to postpone the Little Pine Mountain thing. I can't make it on the 8th as I HAVE to go camping and play poker all weekend. (All right everybody, lets hear it, AAAHHHHHHHH, poor guy!)

I just talked to OP and Saturday the 1st looks good on her multiple calendars.

Now we need to see if Jen can make it.

I just went online and found the PGE site for the trail and have printed out a release form I will bring for each of us to give to the guard.

I just talked to Jim and he's all for it.

We can meet either at

CADS Coffee House‎ - 1056 Los Osos Valley Rd, Los Osos

or

Starbucks‎ -1230 Los Osos Valley Rd # 1, Los Osos

I'll check their hours and let you know which one. I'm not a big Starbucks fan and will see if CADS is open that time on Saturday. But we have backup for our coffee. And meeting at a coffee shop beats standing around at a trailhead until everyone assembles.

Gosh, this sounds fun. :D

Be sure to bring something for lunch.

I just went online and found the PGE site for the trail and have printed out a release form I will bring for each of us to give to the guard.

I just talked to Jim and he's all for it.

We can meet either at

CADS Coffee House‎ - 1056 Los Osos Valley Rd, Los Osos

or

Starbucks‎ -1230 Los Osos Valley Rd # 1, Los Osos

I'll check their hours and let you know which one. I'm not a big Starbucks fan and will see if CADS is open that time on Saturday. But we have backup for our coffee. And meeting at a coffee shop beats standing around at a trailhead until everyone assembles.

Gosh, this sounds fun. :D

Be sure to bring something for lunch.

THIS SOUNDS GREAT TO Me! (Particularly the coffee house somewhere other than Starbucks - I like to shop locally.) What time?

Jen (BTW - I still don't get notified when something's posted here.) :laughing:

I figure to be there at 10am and all the rest can meet us between 10-10:30 at CADS. I will call them in the morning to be sure they are open.

They are open and they are located next to the pizza restaurant in the Vons center.

We'll have to watch the forecast for Saturday. May only be cloudy but possible showers.

Hey Jen, wahappens if you hit the RSS at the bottom of this pg? Too much info? Its a thought. L

I tried it. You get Groundspeak notices about technical stuff related to the forum program, but nothing from this particular forum. Good idea, though. Too bad they don't have RSS for each thread! ;)

GeoCats gave me a ring, so Mr. B, Baby Boo, Eekuh and I are ready for Saturday morning's jaunt. It's drizzling now (can we really call it rain?) but I'm holding out hope for a wonderful morning - or at least coffee with friends in Los Osos!

Jim - I'd offer a ride, but we're not coming straight home. We have a bunch of errands (gift shopping) to do on our way (via Morro Bay, SLO and Pismo). I suspect we won't be home 'til dinnertime, no matter how short our geojaunt is.

THANKS, Friends, for keeping me in touch!

BooBooBee :)

What a relaxing nice walk today! THanks, GeoCat, for encouraging us all to get out there. The girls and I will return another day to walk the whole route. Who knows...maybe we'll even get with it and bring some caches to place (or at least our GPSr)! :)

I was telling GeoCat about GooTech's diabolical caches and he had a great idea! Let's all get together down this way for a Big GooTech Hunt. GT has 88 caches, most of which I suspect are in the Santa Maria Valley. Some are easier than others, but most are, well, they call him Dr. Evil around here! It'd be fun to take you to some of our favorites, then hunt down the others together.

Anyone up for it?

BooBooBee

I was telling GeoCat about GooTech's diabolical caches and he had a great idea! Let's all get together down this way for a Big GooTech Hunt. GT has 88 caches, most of which I suspect are in the Santa Maria Valley. Some are easier than others, but most are, well, they call him Dr. Evil around here! It'd be fun to take you to some of our favorites, then hunt down the others together.

Anyone up for it?

BooBooBee

I'm all for it. Sounds like diabolical fun. :)

Anyone up for it?

BooBooBee

I'm all for it. Sounds like diabolical fun. :)

If it falls on a day that I'm in town and I'm not busy with sump'in else, I'd love to delve into the diabolical.

Well let's throw out a date. SLMSLO you go first with all the dates you are available in the next four weeks, say.

HEY! I finally remember to check on here to see if anyone's talkin! STILL can't get Groundspeak to give me the headsup. I give up. I'll just try to remember to check in. (It'd be nice if these discussions could automatically post to the Poison Oak Cachers blog, too. Blogger notifications WORK for me.)

ANYHOOOOOO...next four weeks?! Are you NUTS, OP? In two weeks we're talking turkey (and guests), then it's that rush rush rush of the holiday season. I vote for January. OH! How about New Year's Day (not an early start) or Jan. 3 (the first weekend in January, at any rate), getting our new year off to a good start?

BBB

Well let's throw out a date. SLMSLO you go first with all the dates you are available in the next four weeks, say.

HEY! I finally remember to check on here to see if anyone's talkin! STILL can't get Groundspeak to give me the headsup. I give up. I'll just try to remember to check in. (It'd be nice if these discussions could automatically post to the Poison Oak Cachers blog, too. Blogger notifications WORK for me.)

ANYHOOOOOO...next four weeks?! Are you NUTS, OP? In two weeks we're talking turkey (and guests), then it's that rush rush rush of the holiday season. I vote for January. OH! How about New Year's Day (not an early start) or Jan. 3 (the first weekend in January, at any rate), getting our new year off to a good start?

BBB

Sorry u got no response from me. I've been celebrating my 10yr wed anniversary. Left for vegas on the 3rd, then to Scottsdale. Got in lots of geocaching along the way. Now I need to log my visits. But first my response to this chain. BBB's right - I'm swamped w/holiday madness right now. But, actually, the weekend post thanksgiving is looking wide open. So is the weekend of Dec 6th. what do you think about that?

Sorry u got no response from me. I've been celebrating my 10yr wed anniversary. Left for vegas on the 3rd, then to Scottsdale. Got in lots of geocaching along the way. Now I need to log my visits. But first my response to this chain. BBB's right - I'm swamped w/holiday madness right now. But, actually, the weekend post thanksgiving is looking wide open. So is the weekend of Dec 6th. what do you think about that?

Since i sing with a chorus, we're pretty busy through the holiday season with performances here and there. Dec. 6 is a traditional holiday event with my Dad and his new wife. Thankgiving weekend itself involves non-cahin' visitors at our house. Dec. 13 weekend it's a holiday gathering in SO Cal. THen we're talking the weekend before Christmas and, I don't know about you, but I KNOW I'll be rushing around trying to get the last of everything done.

So...if you opt for Dec., I'll have to bug out. The first weekend in January is on for me, the next two off, all through Feb (except V Day) is on.

Jen

So...if you opt for Dec., I'll have to bug out. The first weekend in January is on for me, the next two off, all through Feb (except V Day) is on.

Jen

Your schedule is like a negative of my schedule. The 1st week of Jan is my bday and as much as I'd like to spend it geocaching, I never know what my significant other has up his sleeve. How does 1/24th look for you?

<snip> I've been celebrating my 10yr wed anniversary. Left for vegas on the 3rd, then to Scottsdale. <snip>

And you didn't tell me you were coming into town? Not that I wanted to intrude on your anniversary, but I would have made sure you took your bide to this cache for A Special Memory

I'm sure going to do that next time. I forgot you lived in Henderson until I went to "I got sand in my shoes, too", which I still haven't logged my visit. Sure enjoyed that jaunt. Didn't get sand in my shoes, but the cache had a compass! We'd been looking all over vegas for a compass with no success, and lo & behold, your cache had such a cute little compass that was actually functioning. But, 'A Special Memory' would have been more appropriate, I'm sure. BTW, that cache sounds familiar - its not in a wedding chapel, is it? About 5 years ago I was in vegas for a volleyball tournament and in between games my friend and I looked for a cache that was close by. After searching all around, we asked a limo driver if he knew about the cache and he grinned and took us inside the chapel, where he presented us with a cache decorated as if it was a wedding dress. This was my friends first geocaching hunt and she was so thrilled by all this. Was that yours?

<snip> I've been celebrating my 10yr wed anniversary. Left for vegas on the 3rd, then to Scottsdale. <snip>

And you didn't tell me you were coming into town? Not that I wanted to intrude on your anniversary, but I would have made sure you took your bide to this cache for A Special Memory

I'm sure going to do that next time. I forgot you lived in Henderson until I went to "I got sand in my shoes, too", which I still haven't logged my visit. Sure enjoyed that jaunt. Didn't get sand in my shoes, but the cache had a compass! We'd been looking all over vegas for a compass with no success, and lo & behold, your cache had such a cute little compass that was actually functioning. But, 'A Special Memory' would have been more appropriate, I'm sure. BTW, that cache sounds familiar - its not in a wedding chapel, is it? About 5 years ago I was in vegas for a volleyball tournament and in between games my friend and I looked for a cache that was close by. After searching all around, we asked a limo driver if he knew about the cache and he grinned and took us inside the chapel, where he presented us with a cache decorated as if it was a wedding dress. This was my friends first geocaching hunt and she was so thrilled by all this. Was that yours?

Yes, that would be the cache. Folks love that one. That one is owned by the NGA (Nevada Geocaching Association) where many of us were involved in making that one happen.

Standing offer: If you (or anyone else) happens to come out to Las Vegas and has a full day to spare, I can take you out in the GJTB for some remote desert caches.

Bad news in the geocaching community. I don't know if any of you heard, so I'll copy the e-mail I received from Rosco Bookbinder, CA Racetramp Steve's brother. If you can help out, please contact him directly through GC.com. Link provided below.

"Hello there,

My name is John, (user name Rosco Bookbinder)

brother of Steve (Ca Racetramp). If you haven't heard, Steve passed away on

Nov. 1'st of a heart attack. He will surely be missed by his family and

friends. I believe I met you at the Posion Oak picnic at the Atascadaro Park a

number of years ago. If not, I do remember your name from the caching I did

while down there and I know Steve was a geo friend of yours. I'm sorry to have

to write to you under these circumstances. Steve's wife Clarice doesn't have

the desire to take care of all the caches that Steve had either planted himself

or had adopted from African Queen. I was going to post a message on each cache

that if anyone wanted to adopt them to let me know. I would appreciate any help

you might be able to afford in either letting someone you know that may be

interested in the caches or what ever through your local club or info circuit.

One of them needs some work on it already and I hate to just archive it. It's

the GPS Accuracy Station.

Again I'm sorry to have to write to you like this but living in Spokane, Wa.

it's a bit hard to do much from here other than a lot of text messages and

either archiving or what???

Thanks for anthing you can help with,

John (Rosco)

Rosco Bookbinder's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ae...7527555fa"

Steve was an awesome friend to geocaching. He and his computer knowledge will be sorely missed.

He taught me a lot about code writing, answered all of my questions and pointed me in the right direction when he didnt know the answer. I believe this logo and the first POC website were started by him. He encouraged locals to use the logo to give our area's caches distinction. It's worked. Sorry John for your loss.

f690751b-70ee-4d40-b11d-4e2575464971.jpg

Steve was an awesome friend to geocaching. He and his computer knowledge will be sorely missed.

He taught me a lot about code writing, answered all of my questions and pointed me in the right direction when he didnt know the answer. I believe this logo and the first POC website were started by him. He encouraged locals to use the logo to give our area's caches distinction. It's worked. Sorry John for your loss.

f690751b-70ee-4d40-b11d-4e2575464971.jpg

That is very sad. I'm sure I met him, at least at the Atascadero Park event that he went to. I don't know exactly who he was, since I'm fairly new, but it sounds like he was one of POC's pioneers and contributed greatly to POC. How is the adoption of his caches going? Is any help needed?

That is very sad. I'm sure I met him, at least at the Atascadero Park event that he went to. I don't know exactly who he was, since I'm fairly new, but it sounds like he was one of POC's pioneers and contributed greatly to POC. How is the adoption of his caches going? Is any help needed?

I've volunteered to take three down here. I believe OP has volunteered to pick one up, haven't you OP? Anyone else up for adopting a local cache? :(

Hello everyone, I am new in this.

My homebase is Lompoc and I found a cache in the Purísima Mission that is no longer listed at www.geocaching.com.

Here it is: 34° 40' 15.64'' N, 120° 25' 3.54'' W

It is well and still in location...what to do?

Ambrysus.

Weird. Perhaps the finder abandoned it and took it off GC.com. Lots of people come and go from this area close to Vandenberg. Maybe you could adopt it! ;)

Perhaps contact on of the administrators, like Marko Ramius, and ask for their input.

OH! And WELCOME! :D

I've volunteered to take three down here. I believe OP has volunteered to pick one up, haven't you OP? Anyone else up for adopting a local cache? :wub:

I adopted three: Celtic Hills - which Steve had adopted from Snow White and Two Random Dwarves; Nipomo History Lesson and the GPSr Accuracy Check Station. I need to do some maintenance on them it appears and will attempt to do so this weekend.

I tried to see which caches were left to adopt, but was unable to run a check.

I adopted three: Celtic Hills - which Steve had adopted from Snow White and Two Random Dwarves; Nipomo History Lesson and the GPSr Accuracy Check Station. I need to do some maintenance on them it appears and will attempt to do so this weekend.

I tried to see which caches were left to adopt, but was unable to run a check.

I adopted 2 in Nipomo, Jocko's Juxtaposition (Steve adopted from African Queen) and Code ****Cache. The latter requires me to develop a webpage. I'm working with his brother to get this maintenance done, but I'm having a problem with time.

I checked and there are still some caches that need adopting. I went to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page and entered CA Racetramp in the "Hidden By User" search field.

Just want to say that BooBooBee's GooTech-a-thon last Saturday was very challenging and fun! I got to experience SLMSLO's and BooBooBee's keen minds in action and got to know SLMSLO a little bit more :laughing: The food and prizes were a real nice extra treat when we were finished. Thanks BooBooBee for all of your hard work and dedication in getting this event together.

Heading down to SLO this weekend to visit the Mission San Luis Obispo for my son's school project (must be some sort of State requirement to make a faux mission out of shoe boxes :bad: ) and was looking at doing some hiking in Montana de Oro SP on Sunday before heading home.

Are there any "must do" caches in the Park that we should hit?

Anything involving a loop hike (4-8 miles and up to 2,000 vertical is generally OK), and lots of views is the type of thing we usually like. Any wildflower reports would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

aka Touchstone

Heading down to SLO this weekend to visit the Mission San Luis Obispo for my son's school project (must be some sort of State requirement to make a faux mission out of shoe boxes :D ) and was looking at doing some hiking in Montana de Oro SP on Sunday before heading home.

Are there any "must do" caches in the Park that we should hit?

Anything involving a loop hike (4-8 miles and up to 2,000 vertical is generally OK), and lots of views is the type of thing we usually like. Any wildflower reports would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

aka Touchstone

On your way into town, you can pull off for Stage Coach Road. Great view of the valley from up there. Next time I am home I may even place a cache up the hill overseeing this one.

Just want to say that BooBooBee's GooTech-a-thon last Saturday was very challenging and fun! I got to experience SLMSLO's and BooBooBee's keen minds in action and got to know SLMSLO a little bit more :D The food and prizes were a real nice extra treat when we were finished. Thanks BooBooBee for all of your hard work and dedication in getting this event together.

:laughing::unsure::ph34r:

Aw, shucks! :D Thanks, PSJ, for the compliment, and to everyone who took part in the day. It's always fun to see the groups coming together. As always, I had more plans that I could make happen - maybe next time! :D

Just wanted to say 'Hi" and thanks for the caches in the local area.

Knew about GC'ing, but never had the oportunity to try it out until recently.

Got hooked on the hunt and bought a 60csx. Now my youngest (16) is going out with me to search.

Hope to see some of you out there (I think I may have in passing)