Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

Share your thoughts, suggestions, opinions so we can get the ball rolling for one next year!

Wow...this looks really impressive! I'd be keen on something like this, though I'm not much into the competition. (I find it tough to balance my competitive spirit with parenting responsibility, so I maintain that child-safety issue as my priority...go figure!) STILL, I'd love to take part in any way our family could. Certainly we'd be up for some hunts, perhaps even helping place the hides and helping to think up games for others, plus we're ALWAYS up for s'mores!

I know some other members of POC have mentioned an interest in a group cachin' camp weekend. Anyone? Anyone? :(

Wolf Grrl - The Poison Oak Cachers are having an event this Saturday to survey / gather opinions of the the local geocachers on a number of different geocaching topics. I will add your post to the questionnaire and report back next week. Otherwise, I'm always game for a get together.

BooBooBee - Me & mine are going to Pinnacles on the 8th with the group from Northern CA, how about you & yours?

L

Wanted to send a note to our fellow P.O.Cachers since we will be unable to attend the event tomorrow. We will miss all you guys! Caching has been great fun here because of all of you! We will miss trying to beat dadbo and Mrs.Heck for the first to finds! We will also miss grumbling at GooTech Hides lol!! This is where we started geocaching and it will always hold a special spot in our heart.

We are hoping to go out a few more times to finish up a few caches in the area.

Thank you for placing such great hides for us to find!

Look out Illinois the LeffertsFamily is coming!! :blink:

LeffertsFamily

I see no one has checked in for a few days so I thought I better see if there are any diehard cachers lurking about.

The gathering at Atascadero library went very well and everybody learned something. There were discussions about GPSrs, waypointing, bookmarks, PDAs, Cachemate and GPXsonar, online programs, geocoins and much more. I was torn between several discussions and wished I could clone myself to listen to everyone. I think we will do more of these. OP wants to start off the May 4th picnic with a meet at the library and then to Stadium Park for eating and caching.

FYI, I compiled a comprehensive list of cache bookmarks of favorite local caches. If you want to check out the list, go to my profile and click on bookmarked caches.

Bookmarks are a great way to learn about where to locate the better caches, especially if you are going out of the area and are limited on time. I'm soon to go to Yuma, AZ and Tallahassee, FL and I have been able to gather a nice bunch of caches to check out this way. When you go to a bookmark list you can create a Pocket Query that includes all of them. You can easily build a nice list of caches quickly.

;)

Well I'm off tomorrow to visit Yuma AZ and Tallahassee FL to see daughters, g-kids and do some caching. I've preloaded my trusty Garmin with many geocaches, loaded my laptop and printed out a few interesting ones I really want to check out. Should be fun.

BTW, if any POC would like to borrow my audio book on cassette tapes of, A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson, let me know. This is a humorous and educational story about hiking the AT, Appalachian Trail. I know OP will echo this, it is a very good and funny book.

Well, ta ta for now. Catch you in about 10 days.

And don't forget, the picnic is on May 4th. Mark your calendars.

Have a good trip you two. ;);)

This is a humorous and educational story about hiking the AT, Appalachian Trail.
... Trail, Trail, Trail. :D

Bill Bryson is an excellent author and I frequently recommend his books. This one is a good one too: A Short History of Nearly Everything.

This is about our upcoming event at Stadium Park. I have been checking but we have had a very small response to our picnic but events have conspired to make this bigger and better than I thought. How about some ice cream and drink venders? Maybe a porta-potty or two? Not enough for you? How about a band?

No, geo_cats didn't win the lottery. ALPS, Atascadero Land Preservation Society has scheduled a picnic the same day, same time, same place!!

So us geocachers will have to gather together in one portion of the park. Look for the yellow, green, blue and orange balloons (geocache colors).

So this will be a fun filled day of eating, geocaching and music. B)

So if you were hesitant to come because of a lack of a potty, that's now solved.

Or if you thought it might be too strenuous to walk the 1/4 mile to the park, then I will inform you that Marge Mackey, who is in her 80s, will be there as she is organizing the ALPS picnic. B)

Hope to see you there. :laughing:

Yes there are two picnics that day, same place, same time. But it should not be a hindrance but add to the festivities. There's plenty of room at the Park. Just look for the geocache colored balloons and you will find us.

Also, though OP didn't write about it here, she has the room at the library booked for a pre-picnic gathering. "A local group of geocachers is gathering Sunday, 9 am at the Polin-Martin Room to talk about/learn more about geocaching. "

See GC1BAH1 Event - Cache Gear Up on May 4th

Well the picnic at Stadium Park and the Gear Up on May 4th gatherings have come and gone.

While not well attended the participants had fun. Especially at the picnic. Who could have guessed that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt would attend! When Brad and Angelina came up the path asking where the geocache picnic was, well you could have knocked us over with a Magellan. I thought OP was going to swoon when Brad gave her a big kiss. (To keep from falling over by grabbing his ears was a bit of fast thinking OP.) And then when Angelina gave all the guys a kiss, well that was almost better than discovering a new cache.

Things settled down later and OP's young colts found the two hidden caches set out just for the picnic and claimed their prizes.

Then OP was going on about the log book my granddaughters put in my newest cache, Hundred Acre Wood - Pooh's House, and I had no idea what she was talking about.... we then hiked back to the cache and found out that they had found another unlisted cache only about 10 feet from mine!! Someone had placed a cache, apparently, right about the time I had mine listed. And of course it is too close to another cache to get authorized. I've tried to find out who's cache it is but have not found out yet.

We then went back to the stadium and relaxed and listened to the band playing and just enjoyed the wonderful, gorgeous day at Stadium Park.

Just letting everyone know that the Pt. Sal Panorama Cache is back!! The road to Pt. Sal Beach is now legally open again to the beach for hiking and biking. I'll be placing another cache in that area soon! Wish I could have been at the Geocaching event that you guys had on Sunday, I'm planning on being at the June 14th event!

Have a good trip you two. :D:D

This is a humorous and educational story about hiking the AT, Appalachian Trail.
... Trail, Trail, Trail. :D

Bill Bryson is an excellent author and I frequently recommend his books. This one is a good one too: A Short History of Nearly Everything.

I read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" about 2 1/2 years ago on OP's recommendation and thought that it was definitely Bryson's best book so far!!!

Well the picnic at Stadium Park and the Gear Up on May 4th gatherings have come and gone.

While not well attended the participants had fun. Especially at the picnic. Who could have guessed that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt would attend! When Brad and Angelina came up the path asking where the geocache picnic was, well you could have knocked us over with a Magellan. I thought OP was going to swoon when Brad gave her a big kiss. (To keep from falling over by grabbing his ears was a bit of fast thinking OP.) And then when Angelina gave all the guys a kiss, well that was almost better than discovering a new cache.

Kisses.jpg

Then OP was going on about the log book my granddaughters put in my newest cache, Hundred Acre Wood - Pooh's House, and I had no idea what she was talking about.... we then hiked back to the cache and found out that they had found another unlisted cache only about 10 feet from mine!! Someone had placed a cache, apparently, right about the time I had mine listed. And of course it is too close to another cache to get authorized. I've tried to find out who's cache it is but have not found out yet.

100acrebig.gif

Adventurous day!

Just letting everyone know that the Pt. Sal Panorama Cache is back!! The road to Pt. Sal Beach is now legally open again to the beach for hiking and biking. I'll be placing another cache in that area soon! Wish I could have been at the Geocaching event that you guys had on Sunday, I'm planning on being at the June 14th event!

Congratulations Jim - you're namesake's back! And you have me to thank for it :-) Well, sort of... We have a high-dollar client who was going to put up a stink about the trail opening right next to a piece of their property. The attorney working on the case prepared a letter that was going to cause a lot of delays no doubt. I explained to him about how my friend "Jim" would love to hike there again & how I'd love to be able to go there myself someday - legally. He came back with his letter revised and said "I thought about what you said and tamed the letter down a bit." :D

ps - I came across some cool aerials of pt sal - I'll post them later.

OP

Congratulations Jim - you're namesake's back! And you have me to thank for it :-) Well, sort of... We have a high-dollar client who was going to put up a stink about the trail opening right next to a piece of their property. The attorney working on the case prepared a letter that was going to cause a lot of delays no doubt. I explained to him about how my friend "Jim" would love to hike there again & how I'd love to be able to go there myself someday - legally. He came back with his letter revised and said "I thought about what you said and tamed the letter down a bit." :blink:

ps - I came across some cool aerials of pt sal - I'll post them later.

OP

OP, you r awesome!!! I read about the property owner in the newspaper who wasn't pleased and then it sort of went off the radar....I had no idea that 'twas cause of your gift of persuasion. Thanks!

Howdy Strangers! Nice to catch up again. Swim season is over, so I'm almost back to sanity...saw OP today near her workplace...haven't caught up with PSJ in ages...nor have I seen many of you since the rainy pizza gathering.

Don't know what I have to do to get this forum to keep sending me notes, but I'm trying again...

Jen

This will be a great event. I believe Team Geo-Rangers (7,000+ finds) will be there, too.

We can't make it. We'll be at Live Oak Music Festival...family tradition, don't you know.

Have a great time!

Jen

jenpb.blogspot.com

poisonoakcachers.com

www.BestFamilyAdventures.com

I don't usually do this, but I had to share this e-mail PointSalJim sent me today. Anyone noticed how much he's changed since he picked up geocaching? Well, it's not JUST the caches...

"That's cool that you rode your bike to Old Orcutt on Friday to take care of some errands..i see that you also did some caching you triple multi/multi tasker.......Whenever time permits I always try to walk or ride or hike to my destination, take the stairs instead of the elevator, climb the East Face of Whitney instead of hike the traditional trail, paddle my surfboard to Hawaii....yikes !I better get started if I am going to make Lois's graduation on the 21st."

If you have a challenging route and need a hiking, biking, exploring partner, drop Jim a note...he's up for just about anything!

Jen/BooBooBee

jenpb.blogspot.com

www.BestFamilyAdventures.com

www.poisonoakcachers.com

Hello everyone,

I am *sort* of new to caching. I just moved back to the area and have found somewhere around 10 caches on the central coast. I love the hides in this area.

I just wanted to say hello and get to know the people who have done and are doing such a wonderful job of keeping the geocaches in this area going strong.

I have especially enjoyed the caches of OreoPony. Thanks for the interesting history of our area.

I look forward to meeting other geocachers while out hunting.. but I guess cachers are more elusive than condors. :D

--Joferd

I have especially enjoyed the caches of OreoPony. Thanks for the interesting history of our area.

Thank you very much Joferd. Glad to have another cacher on the coast! We'll have a meet-n-greet sometime in the next month or two if you're interested, be on the watchout for something in the north county one Saturday soon. OP

I'd love to go for a hike with you this weekend, GC, but I'll be at ....drumroll please... STUNT CAR DRIVING SCHOOL! ;) Can you believe it?

Parents and hubby pooled resources to send me in honor of my Big Birthday. :D

Jen/BooBooBee

Anybody up for a hike this weekend? I'm getting too fat and lazy, I need a hike.

Anybody up for a hike this weekend? I'm getting too fat and lazy, I need a hike.

Yikes, :D , I need a hike, too. I only know of a couple trails, and i need to expand my trail knowledge of the area, so if you come up with the location, chances are very good that it will be new and interesting for me. I must be in Pismo by 3:30 on Saturday, and Sunday morning I'm going out of town, where I will be getting no exercise, again :D . So if Saturday morning works for you, maybe around 9:00, then I might even be able to convince SLMSLO to go along. What do ya say?

STUNT CAR DRIVING SCHOOL

Drum roll ha! We knew it was just a matter of time until your parents sprang for Stunt Car Driving School. It's just what we've been expecting from you. :DB)

Yikes, :D , I need a hike, too.
but I can't on Saturday. Gotta family reunion beginning at 10:00 in Avila.

Have fun though!

Did anybody go hiking this weekend? How was it?

The slmslo crew and I went for a nice hike in the Cerro Alto area. Visited my two caches on the trail then went to an interesting spot I found while googleearthing the area. We placed a cache there, not listed as yet, and then went up to Butterfly Grove and ate our lunch then visited the cave. It was a lovely day, a nice hike and we missed your sparkling personality but we made the best of it and had a great day.

We encountered a couple of muggles from Bakersfield at the grove and I think we convinced them that geocaching will be their next hobby.

We are thinking of another hike in a week or two. Keep your dial tuned to this station. :D

Did anybody go hiking this weekend? How was it?

I took the jeep out on some dirt roads, does that count? As it was 115 we kept our hiking to under .25 miles from parking.

:D Yep. That counts! Double smilies for showing sense ( :anicute::anicute: ) while GCing. I, on the other hand should get double something] for climbing around on rocks, at night, by myself, when nobody knew where I was! I got the cache though! :anicute:

Hello all!

I haven't been around much. I've been busy getting ready for a move to Prague, Czech Republic and haven't searched for caches for awhile!

I need a favor from someone...

I'm leaving anytime between August 25th and the end of September. I've got 2 caches out there, one of which I'd really like to keep going. The other one, it doesn't matter. The multi in downtown PR is the one I'd like someone to take over. The other one, I'm not even going to be going up that way, so even if no one adopts it, it will still be there.

Please let me know through my email on my profile as I sporadically get notes from this board.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how much info you have on the region, but a friend of ours Igi will be staying with us (here in Vegas) on Sept 13th & 14th. He lives in Slovakia, about 400 miles away from Prague.

Otherwise, I have a sister and nephews who could help me maintain a cache in Paso Robles if nobody else is willing to adopt it.

The multi in downtown PR is the one I'd like someone to take over.

I'm game. PM sent.

Does this mean I need to make special effort to find it? I normaly don't load multi or puzzle caches while travelling.

Yep. And on your way from Nipomo to Paso, stop by Avila Bay Estates and do the Innocent Avila multi I've got. :rolleyes:

OP

The multi in downtown PR is the one I'd like someone to take over.

I'm game. PM sent.

Does this mean I need to make special effort to find it? I normaly don't load multi or puzzle caches while travelling.

Yep. And on your way from Nipomo to Paso, stop by Avila Bay Estates and do the Innocent Avila multi I've got. ;)

OP

I will have to plan on that one. Last time I spent any time in that area, I was riding my 10 speed from AG to SLO on 227, that was a regular stop on the return trip through Shell Beach.

I would like to invite the Poison Oak Cachers to come over and participate in our 2008/2009 Kern County Cachers Travel Bug Race Start Line Event and Taft Light Pole Sprint on October 18, 2008.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-b0039bb74c80

Even if you guys can't make it over, we would still love to have your TBs in our road race. You do not have to be present to start a racer and have them compete. You can just mail your entry over.

If you are interested we hope to have you particiapte. The more the merrier and happy caching.

I was looking at my calendar and discovered that this weekend is Labor Day weekend! (When you work as much as I do you kinda lose track of days, weeks, months.) What year is it anyway?

Anyway, I didn't want to lay about at home because my boss would make me work without overtime. (When you work for yourself you have an a__h_le for a boss.) So I called out to Lake Margarita to see if they possibly might have a space for my new 5th wheeler. They must've had a cancelation because they had a primo spot open.

So, if anyone is interested in coming out to the lake, going for a hike or two or just keeping me company :unsure: (I'm learning how to be a bachelor once again :ph34r: ) and sharing a beer or glass of wine, come on out. I will be at Osprey #1 next to the tree.

I would love for a bit of company, believe me. Let me know if you want to come out. I'm driving out on Friday evening and staying until Monday PM.

I would like to invite the Poison Oak Cachers to come over and participate in our 2008/2009 Kern County Cachers Travel Bug Race Start Line Event and Taft Light Pole Sprint on October 18, 2008.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-b0039bb74c80

Even if you guys can't make it over, we would still love to have your TBs in our road race. You do not have to be present to start a racer and have them compete. You can just mail your entry over.

If you are interested we hope to have you particiapte. The more the merrier and happy caching.

Thanks for the invite! We'll bring the get-together up at the next POC gathering. OP of the POC

I was looking at my calendar and discovered that this weekend is Labor Day weekend! (When you work as much as I do you kinda lose track of days, weeks, months.) What year is it anyway?

Anyway, I didn't want to lay about at home because my boss would make me work without overtime. (When you work for yourself you have an a__h_le for a boss.) So I called out to Lake Margarita to see if they possibly might have a space for my new 5th wheeler. They must've had a cancelation because they had a primo spot open.

It sure was a beautiful weekend, A. I'm glad you got your primo spot. Wish the kids and I could have come out - Hubby was on a "Labor Day" painting frenzy (before the rains come don't you know). Great weather to be outside & we got a lot done. I even hiked Pine Mtn. early Sunday morning just to get in some lung exercise.

I've reserved the Atascadero Library conference room for Saturday Sept. 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 (or is it 6:00?) Anyway, I'm going to write a note of invitation to all the local frequent flyers - we've got a lot of new cachers in the area it seems. Hope to see you there.

OP

It sure was a beautiful weekend, A. I'm glad you got your primo spot. Wish the kids and I could have come out - Hubby was on a "Labor Day" painting frenzy (before the rains come don't you know). Great weather to be outside & we got a lot done. I even hiked Pine Mtn. early Sunday morning just to get in some lung exercise.

I've reserved the Atascadero Library conference room for Saturday Sept. 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 (or is it 6:00?) Anyway, I'm going to write a note of invitation to all the local frequent flyers - we've got a lot of new cachers in the area it seems. Hope to see you there.

OP

It was a beautiful weekend at the lake. I didn't do much hiking but brought my bike along and did some riding and enjoyed a ride out Rocky Trail for aways. I turned around before the real climb. I'm not a masochist.

When I was there last time in my hiking I found a big pond that was part of the lake, just beyond a road and linked by culverts, that I thought might be a good spot to try for sunfish. Sunday I went there after hearing others were not having much luck and tried drowning a few nightcrawlers. I did ok for being out of practice for fishing. In about 4 hours I managed to catch and save 9 sunnies. I fumblefingered 3 good ones that managed to get away and I threw back about 5 or 6 that were too small or were bullheads.

I even remembered how to filet them like my folks taught me and had sunfish for supper Sunday and cooked up the rest Monday night for Rikki and I. Yumm!

I'll put the tech meet at the library on my calendar.