Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

EVERYONE WHO LIKES REMOTE CACHES IN GREAT LOCATIONS READ THIS!!

-SNIP!-

We are DEFINITELY going back next Saturday, Jan 19.

DANG! We really want to do this one with you, particularly if SueBee's coming along. But we'll be out of town 19th. Can you make it the 26th instead?

I have Jeep and tow rope, winch (and even shower). Happy to help any way I can!

EVERYONE WHO LIKES REMOTE CACHES IN GREAT LOCATIONS READ THIS!!

-SNIP!-

We are DEFINITELY going back next Saturday, Jan 19.

DANG! We really want to do this one with you, particularly if SueBee's coming along. But we'll be out of town 19th. Can you make it the 26th instead?

I have Jeep and tow rope, winch (and even shower). Happy to help any way I can!

We're open to the 26th, I just hope that the weather will comply. Last night on the KSBY News, it seems that they said that we are going to have about 3 weeks of dry weather. I just thought we would take advantage of this dry spell before the forecast changes. The 26th would give us all a chance to burn off all that Pizza that we are gonna consume the night before at the Geocaching Pizza Party at Giovanni's :D

we had a father daughter bowling thing this saturday, but have not paid for it so we are unsure if they will get to do it. SO we can do either date. The 26th works better for us as well.. but we are flexible.

So, the 26th it is! It looks like so far we have BooBooBee, LeffertsFamily, and Suebee and I. We will have to figure out a rendevous point, especially if some cachers from the north come like Geocats, LostOsos, Oreo Pony, Naturesprite, and others decide to come. Maybe meet somewhere in Arroyo Grande Village?

BooBooBee pointed out that this will be a good activity following the CarboLoading Geocache Pizza Event the night before on the 25th. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...49-002fd86ec1c5

Edited by pointsaljim

I'm reading these posts but not sure whether that weekend is open yet. Also would like to make the pizza thing if possible.

BTW, if anyone is interested in an inexpensive way to go paperless caching, I have an IPAQ for sale on Craigslist here locally.

Craigslist

The latest plan now is that Naydog and some friends want to go on the 19th, so I have suggested that Suebee and I go with them, but go to my Pine Ridge View cache which is a 4.6 mile roundtrip hike. The starting point is about 1 mile further up the road and there is no good way to hike from Operation Skywatch to Pine Ridge without backtracking down the Avenales Observation Rd 1st. Then on the 26th, the rest of the geocachers such as BooBooBee, LeffertsFamily, Suebee and I again would go to Operation Skywatch and What in the World caches which would still hopefully be unfound caches so that it could be a group 1st to Find! This is an approximately 4 mile round trip cache unless BooBooBee ferries everybody to the top in her jeep :laughing:

This is an approximately 4 mile round trip cache unless BooBooBee ferries everybody to the top in her jeep :lol:

I think we could get us all up there on the Jeep if we do something like this... heh-heh

viet7697.jpeg

Hey, my son actually did the overcrowded jeepney thing in the Phillipines for 2 years. I really wanted to send him a GPS so he could do cachin' over there, but SueBee reminded me that he was supposed to stay focused on the mission that he was serving. He now in fact DOES have my good GPS'r over in Hawaii, even has a geocaching account, but has yet to actually go find a cache!

This is an approximately 4 mile round trip cache unless BooBooBee ferries everybody to the top in her jeep :lol:

I think we could get us all up there on the Jeep if we do something like this... heh-heh

viet7697.jpeg

You crack me up BooBooBee!

Hey! Thanks for visiting some my out-lying caches - glad you found them alive and well. Sounds like you and the girls really enjoyed the Doggy Do Park cache too. 'bout time you hit that one. We've only been talkin about it for the past five or six POC events. Isn't it the coolest? CYa L

I'm sorry I cannot attend either hike. Gylfie's got her 4H Shooting Sports meeting at the range on the 19th and I'm hiking with SLM slo on the 27th.

We missed you today OP, and will miss you next week:( Suebee, Riley, Naydog and Reo, had a very beautiful afternoon of checking up/finding our Pine Ridge View cache a WAY up Huasna. The cache was very much in-tact and we did find a few petroglyphs to boot. We also tried to find the What in the World cache, but had to give up when we were only 0.14 miles away, because it was pretty much dark and were looking at a solid wall of bush. We came from the Pine Ridge View cache side today, so next week we will try it from the Operation Skywatch side.... We did a enjoy a very nice moonlit walk/hike back to the vehicle:)

Edited by pointsaljim

So glad you all had a good hike. Posting at midnight though? LLLLOOOOONNNGGG day, huh?

I had a good five-mile ride (walked the bike uphilll really) to the top of the Salinas Dam again today. I already had to replace my Dam cache, Leslie Lee cache and my Three C-MB cache - and they were just published Thursday a.m.!

Friday night looks like it's going to be CRAZY - 35+ Yeah!

So glad you all had a good hike. Posting at midnight though? LLLLOOOOONNNGGG day, huh?

I had a good five-mile ride (walked the bike uphilll really) to the top of the Salinas Dam again today. I already had to replace my Dam cache, Leslie Lee cache and my Three C-MB cache - and they were just published Thursday a.m.!

O.P, if you rather do the hike on the 26th, I can switch up and work it out. But you said you had something going on the 26th, so I'll still plan on the 27th at Santa Margarita, unless you say otherwise. I hope there will still be some pizza left when I get to Giovanni's at 7-ish. I'll be coming from Pioneer H.S. after ref'g a girl's basketball game. I'll be in my uniform to save time. I'm sure with this wild group I might need my whistle.

Rikki and I both hope to attend the pizza fest. Wow!, lots of people coming.

I have a recommendation for you avid cachers to help others to find the good ones. Create a public bookmarks link in your 'My Accounts' page on the right side. (For premium members only). Mine is at Geo_cats Bookmarks

If more people made bookmarks of their favorite caches it would be a big help to other cachers, especially out-of-towners who don't know the area or who places good caches and who places turkeys.

When I am in other areas I would love it if people had bookmarked the best caches.

When you create your bookmarks don't be shy, include some of your own caches if you think they are exceptional.

C'mon guys, lets see some bookmarks. :)

O.P, if you rather do the hike on the 26th, I can switch up and work it out. But you said you had something going on the 26th, so I'll still plan on the 27th at Santa Margarita, unless you say otherwise.

You're right, slmslo - I have the Weavers Guild Annual Tea on Saturday the 26th. However the 27th is off for hiking Grey Pine. Too wet. I called the Ranger Station today (788-2415) and they closed the trails for the weekend.

Santa Margarita Lake forecast:

Thursday the 24th: Chance of a Thunderstorm

High: 45°F Low: 40°F

Friday the 25th: Rain Showers

High: 52°F Low: 36°F

Saturday the 26th: Rain Showers

Sunday the 27th: Rain Showers

Oh Oh! :o What does this mean for our Huasna hunt? Will they close the road? If not, I'm up for it in the rain. Adds to the adventure. :D

so there is more rain forcasted on friday and saturday .... so what will happen to the geocaching on the 26th?

Geo_Cats Im working on setting up our bookmarks anyone is welcome to check our profile and look at the bookmarks we currently have. ;)

Good job! I printed them out for some time I'm waayy down south there to check out.

Looking forward to meeting you at the pizza meet and greet.

Oh Oh! ;) What does this mean for our Huasna hunt? Will they close the road? If not, I'm up for it in the rain. Adds to the adventure. :D

I will try to check and see if the gate is open tomorrow before the Pizza Party. If it is we're game, but we think that we would need to hitch a ride in BooBooBee's Jeep as I feel that some of those creek crossings will probably be at least 2 ft. deep and a minimum of 10 ft wide. Whatcha' say BooBooBee? What about Riley, can she come...Labs loooooooove water!

I will try to check and see if the gate is open tomorrow before the Pizza Party. If it is we're game, but we think that we would need to hitch a ride in BooBooBee's Jeep as I feel that some of those creek crossings will probably be at least 2 ft. deep and a minimum of 10 ft wide. Whatcha' say BooBooBee? What about Riley, can she come...Labs loooooooove water!

The Jeep seats four, so we'll have to see who's coming. If I bring the kids and husband, well, that just about does it for passengers, unless you go with the aforementioned "hangers-on" method! ;) I'll know by pizza whether DH and children want to go along. (They're fair-weather cachers.)

=============== PG&E DCPP Weather Forecast for Thursday UPDATE 01/24/08 =========

ATMOSPHERIC CONDITION:

A cold upper-level trough passed our area at 14:30 (2:30 pm) this

afternoon giving gusty southerly winds and periods of moderate rain.

Rain showers and a chance of thunderstorms will develop later this

the evening and will continue through tonight.

The evolving weather pattern is very similar to that of the 1991

"March Miracle". A low pressure system moving southward out of

the Gulf of Alaska is expected to stall west of Diablo Canyon where

it will entrain moisture from the tropics and intensify to 996 mb

(29.41 in/Hg).

This weather system will maintain a continuous southerly flow over

the region at mid and upper levels of the atmosphere and tap into

subtropical moisture on Friday, bringing the potential for very

heavy rain beginning Friday afternoon through Sunday morning,

especially along our coastal areas.

Snow levels will rise significantly on Friday through Saturday to

7000 feet, but will drop but down to 2,000 feet on Sunday. Heavy

snow totals are expected in the Sierra.

This entire event will produce fresh gale to strong gale (39-54 mph)

southerly winds and heavy rain. At this time, another 3 to 5 inches

of rainfall is expected with this system (Friday through Sunday).

Note: The heaviest rainfall should occur on Saturday afternoon

through early Sunday morning.

A break in the weather is forecast on Monday through Tuesday, then

another cold front will give rain on Wednesday.

=============== PG&E DCPP Weather Forecast for Thursday UPDATE 01/24/08 =========

ATMOSPHERIC CONDITION:

At this time, another 3 to 5 inches

of rainfall is expected with this system (Friday through Sunday).

Note: The heaviest rainfall should occur on Saturday afternoon

through early Sunday morning.

A break in the weather is forecast on Monday through Tuesday, then

another cold front will give rain on Wednesday.

So much for the weatherman. Today started out with blue skies and high atmospheric clouds, which looked very non-threatening. Did you guys go to Huasna? I also want to say, even though I got to the pizza party late, I thoroughly enjoyed my hour of conversation and pizza. If what they tell me is true, the event was a HUGE success. Thanks BooBooBee for setting it up. It was great to see everyone again! I'm looking forward to a geo-hike soon. If you didn't do Huasna today, how about scheduling it for 2/9th???

So much for the weatherman. Today started out with blue skies and high atmospheric clouds, which looked very non-threatening. Did you guys go to Huasna? I also want to say, even though I got to the pizza party late, I thoroughly enjoyed my hour of conversation and pizza. If what they tell me is true, the event was a HUGE success. Thanks BooBooBee for setting it up. It was great to see everyone again! I'm looking forward to a geo-hike soon. If you didn't do Huasna today, how about scheduling it for 2/9th???

We DID get out to Huasna, and WHAT A SPECTACULAR DAY! It really couldn't have been better. Not too hot, not too cold, just a slight breeze now and again 'til we returned to blustery civilization. The rain had cleared the air so the views were infinite! We kind of wished we'd headed to Miranda Pine once we laid eyes on it...the road was COVERED in snow all along the ridge. Still, I wouldn't have traded the day.

If you get a chance to hit Operation Skywatch, I'd certainly go for it again. Lots of bushwhacking for What in the World, but we found a better (less-bushwhacking) route back.

Thanks to all who came to pizza last night! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE TURNOUT! I'm glad we stuck around to chat afterward because a coupla cachers did come in after fulfilling their professional obligations. (I guess SOMEONE around here should be responsible...and I'm not exactly volunteering for THAT role!) I think what REALLY made it was the great turnout, everyone generously sharing for the raffle, and warm food on a cold night, oh, and did I mention the friendly people?

Rikki & I went out today and found OP's new caches at Stadium Park. It was a lovely little hike and reminded us how lucky we are to live here in Atasadero.

We discussed having a geomeet picnic in Stadium Park in the spring. It would be a fun venue and allow the out of towners to cache the mountain. I figure a few of us locals could sponsor it and create a few activities while cachers could come and go to find the caches in and around Stadium Park.

I figure a good month would be May. A good day might be Saturday the 3, 17, 31 or Sunday the 4, 18. The other weekends are Mother's day or Memorial day and are to be avoided if possible.

How about it? OP, you game?

I don't think all the listed TBs went thropugh at the event. But, you may say to yourself, "Aaww...What does a dawg know anyway" :ph34r:

Yeah, I noticed a lot of the TBs on the printed list cycled through somehow without being added to the printed "discovery" list. Didn't know if that was because they actually didn't make it to the event, or they just didn't make it to the list...

It's alright...we'll find them on the hunt! :)

Jen/BooBooBee

www.BestFamilyAdventures.com

I figure a good month would be May. A good day might be Saturday the 3, 17, 31 or Sunday the 4, 18. The other weekends are Mother's day or Memorial day and are to be avoided if possible.

May is a GREAT time to meet in Atascadero! My dad's getting married on May 3, so that's out for me, but we'll be up that way anyhow, so May 4 would work for us! So would the 31, and perhaps 17. (We'll probably be headed up to the Sierra the 18th for the week.)

Is there some way I can help?

Jen/BooBooBee

May 4th looks good on my calendar too.

And BBB, we can use all the help you can give... what with your recent success of 60+ event attendees. :ph34r::)

On another note, I am considering a March 1st event at 4:00 pm at Players Restaurant in Atascadero. North County is in need of a meet-n-greet and a sharing session regarding how we are all caching... i.e., paperless being the goal.

And other information as well. For instance, I found a GSAK Macro on Clyde's forums that puts the cache description into the notes section of an ipod. (Helpful for those times when I forget my Palm)

That got me thinking how much information could be learned if we had a nice afternoon session of "How do you do? (Geocaching)" We could bring our Palms, laptops & GPS (and leave the travel bugs at home).

I'm not totally committed to the 1st of March, but am throwing that out there to stir up discussion.

Rikki & I went out today and found OP's new caches at Stadium Park. It was a lovely little hike and reminded us how lucky we are to live here in Atasadero.

We discussed having a geomeet picnic in Stadium Park in the spring. It would be a fun venue and allow the out of towners to cache the mountain. I figure a few of us locals could sponsor it and create a few activities while cachers could come and go to find the caches in and around Stadium Park.

How about it? OP, you game?

Sounds like fun. I will keep May in Atascadero in mind and see what the Viking Clan thinks. Mrs CV has a Birthday May 11. If near that day we may not be able to make it.

I don't think all the listed TBs went thropugh at the event. But, you may say to yourself, "Aaww...What does a dawg know anyway" ;)

Yeah, I noticed a lot of the TBs on the printed list cycled through somehow without being added to the printed "discovery" list. Didn't know if that was because they actually didn't make it to the event, or they just didn't make it to the list...

It's alright...we'll find them on the hunt! :huh:

Jen/BooBooBee

I can tell ya what happened to me....

I dropped off all my travelbugs (that were logged into the event) into one of the ammo cans on the front table. I didn't know I was supposed to list them on the discovery list. By the time I figured that part out, some of them were circulating around the room ( I couldn't find them). So they didn't get onto the list.

:huh:

May is a GREAT time to meet in Atascadero! My dad's getting married on May 3, so that's out for me, but we'll be up that way anyhow, so May 4 would work for us! So would the 31, and perhaps 17. (We'll probably be headed up to the Sierra the 18th for the week.)

Is there some way I can help?

Jen/BooBooBee

If we are somewhat agreed, lets figure on the 4th of May but with a raincheck in case of serious rain. If you can think of some activities for the younger cachers while some of us local folk try to figure out a good gpsr oriented game to play in the park.

Stadium Park is an awesome park right in the heart of Atascadero but is totally undeveloped except for trails. So attendees will have to be prepared to sit on the ground, haul in anything they need and pee in the bushes. :D

Right now there are three fairly easy caches to get near the park, one that is a pretty strenuous on top of the mountain and several on the other side of the mountain.

If we are somewhat agreed, lets figure on the 4th of May but with a raincheck in case of serious rain. If you can think of some activities for the younger cachers while some of us local folk try to figure out a good gpsr oriented game to play in the park.

Stadium Park is an awesome park right in the heart of Atascadero but is totally undeveloped except for trails. So attendees will have to be prepared to sit on the ground, haul in anything they need and pee in the bushes.

Right now there are three fairly easy caches to get near the park, one that is a pretty strenuous on top of the mountain and several on the other side of the mountain.

May 4th sounds just fine. The hike to the top isn't too steep.

Here is a profile of up the "across the mountain trail" up and "white path" down:

elevProfile.jpg

Trail distance: 1.61 miles

Elevation min: 800 feet, max: 1,300 feet

Accum. height uphill: 574 feet, downhill: 538 feet

Difficulty level: Easy

Time: one hour 11 minutes

Ends at start point (loop): Yes

Coordinates: 234

Brought to you by Wikiloc

I can tell ya what happened to me....

I dropped off all my travelbugs (that were logged into the event) into one of the ammo cans on the front table. I didn't know I was supposed to list them on the discovery list. By the time I figured that part out, some of them were circulating around the room ( I couldn't find them). So they didn't get onto the list.

:)

Yeah...sorry about that, VK. I didn't know about the discovery list. I'd never seen those before...didn't even know what "discovering" a TB was! Well, I'm always learning SOMETHING new. That does explain, however, where the TBs went. I believe the visitor from Connecticut ended up with a fistful of TBs, so they'll get some miles on them at any rate.

There were some other things that were dropped in the cache containers that may have been better served as individual prizes. I suppose, as organizer, I should have spent less time visiting and more time organizing the swag/prizes up front. A good thing to know...for next time. :lol:

Thanks for your contributions, though!

And other information as well. For instance, I found a GSAK Macro on Clyde's forums that puts the cache description into the notes section of an ipod. (Helpful for those times when I forget my Palm)

That got me thinking how much information could be learned if we had a nice afternoon session of "How do you do? (Geocaching)" We could bring our Palms, laptops & GPS (and leave the travel bugs at home).

I'm not totally committed to the 1st of March, but am throwing that out there to stir up discussion.

Well, GC.com/forums has let me down again. I guess I should just make this page my homepage so I can keep up!

OP sent me a note about the March 1 event. Good thing, because i missed out on ALL this discussion. Unfortunately I can't be there 3/1 due to previous commitment (something about coaching a gaggle of kids, driving them to the meet and back again...I dunno...maybe they'd rather be cachin'....) :lol:

May 4 should work for me for the other event.

BBB

Well, GC.com/forums has let me down again. I guess I should just make this page my homepage so I can keep up!

BBB

Maybe your spam blocking software or your internet provider is blocking the notices. I get most of them but sometimes I fail to get a notice.

If your browser allows tabs I would create a homepage that opens several tabs, one being the forums.

Edited by Geo_cats

Maybe your spam blocking software or your internet provider is blocking the notices. I get most of them but sometimes I fail to get a notice.

If your browser allows tabs I would create a homepage that opens several tabs, one being the forums.

Good guess re: spam blocker, but I've checked there and nothing's in the spambotbox It's been an ongoing problem. (For instance, I didn't get a notice about your post.)

I do use tabs, but as this is a family shared computer, I usually set it up with a range of activities for the girls, so they tab through the pages as they complete each...something fun in math, language arts, art, science...the internet is just a TREASURE trove, isn't it?

I'll just whine...it gets more attention! :laughing:

Ooops! I posted this in the wrong area! Let's try this again, to keep it in order...

I'm not sure whose idea it was, but like so many things POC, a POC website has been born through the efforts of multiple members.

OreoPony got so excited after our last gathering that she secured the web address. While my page building skills are elementary, I was energized by our last gathering, too, and have decided to offer my rudimentary pages to get us off the ground. What the heck! The page can always be redesigned, updated and upgraded as our skill progress. smile.gif There's also an associated blog that will be open to POC members. To become one of the authors, drop a line to OreoPony or me. Members who are active in local activities, active hiders, active seekers and active posters to this forum will all be considered.

So...check it out!

poisonoakcachers.com

Some of the links are still dead because, well, I haven't created the pages yet! But I was SO excited to share the news, I thought I'd let you know...NOW! smile.gif

BooBooBee

It looks great Jennifer! You and OP have done a very nice job with this. We can all ooh and aah over it at the March event.

Thanks, SLO Trekker! The site is still in progress, with changes being made just about as often as my obsessive soul allows. If you have any suggestions for the site, just let us know.

Should we have our own forum in place there, or should we continue our forum presence here?

What else should be on the site?

Our storage space is relatively large, so the possibilities are vast.

BooBooBee/Jen

Hi there,

I hope you don't mind me crashing in on your forum. I'm Wolf Grrl from Central Valley Cachers. I wanted your input on something. I've already posted this on our forum.

Texas Caching Regions put on a Texas Challenge every year. I hear so many great stories about them. There hasn't been one person that hasn't had a good time. Each year a different region hosts/plans/organizes. It's pretty cool. They will have coins and tshirts made up to sell. They have hunting teams where each region has a team of cachers that will go find the caches at the event. The organizers of the region can not tell their home team where those caches are. There are trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. It's a big competition between the regions. There is a silent auction. There is Camp Little Cachers (I just made the name up) where people volunteer for the day (shifts of course) to have activities and crafts to keep all the little cachers busy so moms and dads don't have to worry about them. There is so much more.

Why not have California do a California Challenge? We would have to decide how to divide the state up and form a committee which I would be more than happy to be a part of. I think it would be a blast and definitely a worthwhile event. Is any one gamed? How can we spread the idea and get how our fellow Californian Cachers feel about the idea? I do not know how to insert hyperlinks into these forums so I just copied and pasted the event page and the forum from Houston.

Share your thoughts, suggestions, opinions so we can get the ball rolling for one next year!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b2-69d14b83670b

http://web.hgcs.org/forum/index.php?topic=5031.0