Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

urban spot for the cache. It is a 4 ballsize tennis ball can and I was thinking of getting a metal cap and throwing down a pipe, but I can't find any around downtown to put it in! Any suggestions?

Also, is the POC site still active? In recent news, they are still talking about the Nov. 2005 event!

As far as an urban cache goes I don't know off hand but I suspect that if you followed the creek up or down a ways you would find a mini park along it's path that would work for you.

As you can see the forum here is pretty inactive and the POC site is not been updated in a long while. The few of us that seem to keep active log in here once in awhile to let others know what's been going on.

Recently OreoPony conducted a geocaching class at Cal Poly for Osher and then the following week she, PointsalJim and Rikki and I led a geohike up reservoir canyon trail. I had placed two caches up there in the spring in anticipation of this class. We then placed a class cache and I see two more caches have been placed further up the trail. I need to go get those two and also find SLO Highest which was a DNF the last time I went up there. Anyone want to do the hike with me next weekend?

Rikki and I placed a micro a couple weekends ago in Los Osos. We usually don't like micros but this site is the former site of a cache much liked by many of us. It was placed by the Frozen Dinner Boys and then after a few years got muggled and never replaced. We thought that was a shame so we placed our own there after it was archived and there was not activity by the Frozen Dinner Boys for over a year. Check it out, it is Sweet Springs Nature Reserve

Then last week I climbed a trail I hadn't been up before at Cerro Alto and placed two caches. Oreopony did a FTF on the lower one but the upper one is still a virgin.

Now that summer is over I hope we see more local action and maybe someone will put together a picnic, pizza meet or a hike to participate in.

I need to go get those two and also find SLO Highest which was a DNF the last time I went up there. Anyone want to do the hike with me next weekend?

Howdy, stranger!

The girls and I were talking about that ridge just today. Erica, the 7 year old, said she'd like to go up there. Now, I don't know how you feel about hiking with little ones along. We're game, and our best days for caching are weekdays with a return to Orcutt deadline of 4 p.m. three days a week.

GeoCats, can you make the trek on a weekday? Anyone else?

Jen/BooBooBee

I need to go get those two and also find SLO Highest which was a DNF the last time I went up there. Anyone want to do the hike with me next weekend?

GeoCats, can you make the trek on a weekday? Anyone else?

Jen/BooBooBee

Wow, BooBooBee is either a late sleeper or an early riser - your message posting says 3AM!

I'd like to do this hike if GeoCats hasn't already done it. This weekend wasn't do-able. Actually weekdays are better for me - or Sundays.

If you guys are all for it, maybe Wed. morning around 10-11 to do the hike?

Yes, I can do that. Now where would we meet, exactly?

How long do you think the hike (round trip) will take? (I haven't studied up on those caches in awhile.)

I need to be in A.G. by 1. Possible?

And we ARE talking about THIS Wednesday, are we not?

Ohhhh...I'm so excited!

How long do you think the hike (round trip) will take? (I haven't studied up on those caches in awhile.)

I need to be in A.G. by 1. Possible?

And we ARE talking about THIS Wednesday, are we not?

Ohhhh...I'm so excited!

The hike would start at the trailhead at the end of Reservoir Cyn road and looking at Topozone maps the hike is about 1.7 - 2.0 miles to SLO Highest. I would say that if we met at 10AM and hiked to SLO Highest first then did the caches in reverse order (SLO Highest, Sore Thumb, 101 overlook, Cacher's Canyon Peak, Olli, GPSr Blues, and Barking) then you could gauge your time and leave at any time and skip the lower caches to seek out another day. Then you could do the hike and get to your appointment.

What say? I'm on for it if you guys are.

The hike would start at the trailhead at the end of Reservoir Cyn road and looking at Topozone maps the hike is about 1.7 - 2.0 miles to SLO Highest. I would say that if we met at 10AM and hiked to SLO Highest first then did the caches in reverse order (SLO Highest, Sore Thumb, 101 overlook, Cacher's Canyon Peak, Olli, GPSr Blues, and Barking) then you could gauge your time and leave at any time and skip the lower caches to seek out another day. Then you could do the hike and get to your appointment.

What say? I'm on for it if you guys are.

I'm in for this Wednesday.

The hike would start at the trailhead at the end of Reservoir Cyn road and looking at Topozone maps the hike is about 1.7 - 2.0 miles to SLO Highest.

OK...so as usual I'm looking at this in a rush. So...er...you want to hike to SLO Highest, etc. not from SLO High (or SLO Junior High) but from the Reservoir canyon side? So, hike up Reservoir Canyon, then to the ridge, and back down and around. Is there a loop trail for this? I'm not seein' it. (Not that we always NEED a trail...) Er...ahem...

I'm on for Wednesday. See you where ever you say, GeoCats, at 10 a.m. :anitongue:

Please e-mail me off list and I'll send you my cell phone number.

J/BooBooBee

OK...so as usual I'm looking at this in a rush. So...er...you want to hike to SLO Highest, etc. not from SLO High (or SLO Junior High) but from the Reservoir canyon side? So, hike up Reservoir Canyon, then to the ridge, and back down and around. Is there a loop trail for this? I'm not seein' it. (Not that we always NEED a trail...) Er...ahem...

I'm on for Wednesday. See you where ever you say, GeoCats, at 10 a.m. :blink:

Please e-mail me off list and I'll send you my cell phone number.

J/BooBooBee

There is a trail to the ridge top from Reservoir Canyon. Pointsaljim hicked it a few weeks ago and he said it is definetely easier than from the H. school side. Plus a good part is in the shade so we can enjoy it more.

Pack a lunch for a top of the world picnic.

I have not heard yet from slmslo whether he will be there also.

I sure was hoping to be able to go with you all on this group hike. We have a huge amount of filings this week and I can't leave my office mates to struggle through it without me.

Have fun. Weather looks to be much cooler for the hike - perfect timing!

(BTW - slmslo is a lady & yes BooBooBee is a bat, er, nightowl)

L'Oreo

I sure was hoping to be able to go with you all on this group hike. We have a huge amount of filings this week and I can't leave my office mates to struggle through it without me.

L'Oreo

Well I apologize slmslo, I shoulda checked your profile.

Gosh OP, I didn't know you were such a workaholic. Too bad, we would have enjoyed your company.

L'Oreo

Well I apologize slmslo, I shoulda checked your profile.

Gosh OP, I didn't know you were such a workaholic. Too bad, we would have enjoyed your company.

I'm just getting around to reading these messages - So I'm late in posting, but not too late to express what a great time I had with the BooBooBee clan and Geocats. Sorry you couldn't make it OP. Hello to Ricki, too! The Kiva (sp.?) at the overlook, near SLO Highest was the most interesting artifact. Does anyone know its history? Was it made by the native Americans, I wonder? Alan- I'm going to order Assembling California right now. I'm looking forward to the next geocaching adventure.

I agree, it was a fun hike. I really enjoyed Valery and Erica. I was most impressed with their hiking ability and stamina. I see they spend little time parked in front of the TV.

I too was intrigued by the stone seat, Kiva, or whatever. Someone or someones really put a lot of time and effort into that.

Thanks, Booboobee and slmslo, for hiking with me and sharing the fun. Where to next?

I agree, it was a fun hike. I really enjoyed Valery and Erica. I was most impressed with their hiking ability and stamina. I see they spend little time parked in front of the TV.

I too was intrigued by the stone seat, Kiva, or whatever. Someone or someones really put a lot of time and effort into that.

Thanks, Booboobee and slmslo, for hiking with me and sharing the fun. Where to next?

Got so busy with work and surfing that I didn't check into the forums for about 10 days or so and I missed out on the group activity:( Glad that you all had fun!!! I actually did this hike right after the OLLI class that I a participated in with OP and Geocats back at the end of August and felt that this was an easier, but still STRENOUS way to go to SLO Highest.

BooBooBee: Thanks for posting all the nice pics of the junk art farm! I took a bunch of pics of the junk art farm myself the day that I hiked this trail, but now that your's are so nice, I won't have to post mine.

Geocats: Remember when Riley was struggling just going up East Cuesta Ridge back in April? Well, believe it or not, she actually made it up to SLO Highest from the HARD side, (Lizzie Dr.), about 4 days before the OLLI Class with my son and I.....we we're real whipped ourselves, 'cause we had done a CRUX workout JUST BEFORE!

We could to one of the caches in Montano de Oro or do the trail that starts in Los Osos and goes to the North Side of Hazard Canyon. You can actually make a 4 1/2 mile loop out of it if you are willing to walk along Pecho Canyon Rd. on the way back. Also, we could do an assualt on Cerro Alto, in fact now that Geocats has stated that he has placed a cache higher up, I'm probably gonna go get it real soon, group activity or no group activity.

Of course, if anyone wants to do some spectacular geocaching, there is always Big Sur!

Edited by pointsaljim

I'm looking for caches that take some time to get to. I was thinking of hitting all of these at once:

Barking, GPSr Blues, OLLI, Canyon Peak, Sore Thumb, 101 Overlook

I'm doing the SLO series another time so those aren't included.

Would it be best to start at 101 Overlook and end with Barking? Or the other way? How far is that hike? Who would want to do it again with me? :laughing:

Also, what are some other ones that are worth doing? 2-3 miles max roundtrip?

Thanks!

Its about 4 miles round trip to 101 Overlook. The first mile & a half are gradual incline - 300 feet elevation gain from the parking spot to Cacher's Canyon Peak.

When the trail heads up the hill, there is one spot on the trail that is kinda narrow & cobbly, but do-able. The elevation gain (I checked out Google Earth) is 700 feet from Cacher's Canyon Peak to 101 Overlook.

Unless you spend ALL of your time caching, you've heard that GeoWoodstock VI will be in Wheatland, California, just north of Sacramento, on Saturday, May 24, 2008. In order to make this the biggest and best GeoWoodstock ever, we're asking for help from our geo-neighbors. We're looking for sponsors, sponsor contacts, geo-swag vendors, donations for the silent auction, raffle, registration bags, etc. Contact GWVIsponsors@gmail.com if you can help us out here.

We're also going to need many volunteers. It's a great way to meet people, so if you have special skills we can use now or are willing to give us a couple hours of your time on the day of the event, please contact us at website below.

You can register for this monumental event, volunteer, or get more information (like what the heck is a GeoWoodstock), at GeoWoodstockVI.com.

thanks! Bill and Debby

Fund-raising committee

I don't know why I keep falling off this list! Perhaps that's why it keeps dying out! I suggest we renew, revive and otherwise reinvigorate our previous members to help develop our POC forum again.

FORTUNATELY, PointSalJim is a great guy who contacted several people off list to let us know about Miss Heck's gathering in Orcutt. What a great party she put on. We all bought our own pizzas and drinks, then fell into easy conversation with old faces and new ones as well. I can hardly wait for the next gathering and, after a couple of VERY slow years caching, am excited to get involved in the game again. Heck, I've even gone back out (WAY OUT) to maintain some of my own caches - a chore I'd been sorely behind on completing!

So, what say you all? When would you like to get together again? What works best for everyone/anyone?

I don't know why I keep falling off this list! Perhaps that's why it keeps dying out! I suggest we renew, revive and otherwise reinvigorate our previous members to help develop our POC forum again.

FORTUNATELY, PointSalJim is a great guy who contacted several people off list to let us know about Miss Heck's gathering in Orcutt. What a great party she put on. We all bought our own pizzas and drinks, then fell into easy conversation with old faces and new ones as well. I can hardly wait for the next gathering and, after a couple of VERY slow years caching, am excited to get involved in the game again. Heck, I've even gone back out (WAY OUT) to maintain some of my own caches - a chore I'd been sorely behind on completing!

So, what say you all? When would you like to get together again? What works best for everyone/anyone?

Well, I'm pretty much freed up now except for Tuesdays and Thursdays in the early afternoon, Thanksgiving weekend and Dec. 21-24.

I'd love to meet my fellow central coast cachers!!!

Well, I'm pretty much freed up now except for Tuesdays and Thursdays in the early afternoon, Thanksgiving weekend and Dec. 21-24.

Sorry, I had a little trouble with my brain. I sent 2 dupes of the previous message.

After the 13th of November, I'm getting pulled back into full time employment, until I can find and train an office manager for a dental office. Anyone have any leads on a good candidate. Previous experience not required, just a desire to learn. The office is in Atascadero.

So, that means I'm only available weekday evenings and Sundays. But I'd sure like to attend anything you set up.

Too bad I missed Miss Hecks party. I had to leave town that night so it wasn't possible. I'm glad it was a good turn-out. My ears are always open for hanging-out events with geocachers.

I will be gone from Nov 20 - Dec 2. Other than that, any days except Sundays work for me: Week days from 4 P.M. on, all day on Saturdays.

Alrighty then!! Who wants to go caching on Christmas?? The family thing is happening on Sunday, so Xmas is gonna be free and clear! After a breakfast at Denny's, I was thinking of heading out towards Naci/San Antonio Lakes and doing some of the ones in that area. Or maybe a trip to some Morro Bay caches...

Any takers??

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I read and posted here. Like BBB I keep getting knocked off the forums notification and just forget about logging in. :santa:

I'm up for a POC get together. Whether indoors or out, evenings or weekend day, doesn't matter. I'd be glad to meet on a mountain top somewhere or in a warm restaurant. Whatever. :santa:

If you're up for a pizza fest waaaayyyy up here in North County I would be glad to put it together and we could bring our newest toys to show and tell plus bring our clever, cute, camoed cache containers (hows that for alliteration?) to demo for all to enjoy.

Hope everybody has a happy Thanksgiving. We're thankful, always, that we live here on the central coast and have so much to be thankful for. :santa:

I just checked my options and I am still set up to receive posts when this forum gets posts but I don't get them for some reason. I do get notices from Southwest posts that usually have nothing to do with us hereabouts. So, what say we collect a list of POC email addresses to send to whenever we are thinking of an outing or get together? I will post mine here but am adding spam front and back that you need to remove before saving. I get just so much spam these days I try to avoid more.

spamAlan.a@pacbell.net spam

I can't do Christmas day but the last 3 weeks in December are looking good for doing some kind of event, SLMSLO is shutting down the office for a remodel and that gives me some free time. I'm usually not available on weekends, but weekdays are good. I'm not afraid of the grade - North County works for me.

I'm not having trouble with my subscription to POC, I get notified okay, but if you want to put me on a separate list: aimslo@charter.net

There you go!

I'd really like to do a group geocaching event...something that requires at least a 2 hour hike or a drive to some remote place that I'd normally be hesitant to go on my own....maybe to BooBooBee's 3 caches that are along Sierra Madre Rd. Last year on Dec 23, I got the place to myself, nice and cool weather and some fantastic sunset shots. Check out BooBooBee's "S"ky High Cache and "P"ining for Miranda for pics. I didn't have time to go for the other cache she has in the area.

If not that, then maybe a mystery cache....

I'd really like to do a group geocaching event...something that requires at least a 2 hour hike or a drive to some remote place that I'd normally be hesitant to go on my own....

That sounds like a great idea. Now that I have my assignments for December I can tell you exactly what days would be good for me.

Wednesday, the 19th and the last 2 weekends in December (i.e. 22, 23, 29, 30). So if y'all can fit into that narrow space, I'd love to join in, but if not, I'll be sad, but I'll live.

I'd really like to do a group geocaching event...something that requires at least a 2 hour hike or a drive to some remote place that I'd normally be hesitant to go on my own....

That sounds like a great idea. Now that I have my assignments for December I can tell you exactly what days would be good for me.

Wednesday, the 19th and the last 2 weekends in December (i.e. 22, 23, 29, 30). So if y'all can fit into that narrow space, I'd love to join in, but if not, I'll be sad, but I'll live.

I'm available for the last 2 weekends in December!

I'm tellin' you, it stinks when technology DOESN'T work. I'm still signed up for hte notices, but haven't gotten ANY of these. GOOD THING I checked in!

We're available the last weekend of December. How 'bout a New Years' Eve (almost) mystery blowout cache day? I like PointSalJim's idea. I hear HE has a nice cache out Huasna way.

I've had "Baby Bessie" and "Schoolhouse Rock" on my "to do" list forEVER. They're virtuals, though, and I don't know what kind of time we'd need to do them 'cause I haven't looked at them in a long time.

Or how about all those along Irish Hills (like "Ambiguos")?

Or, further south, "Extreme Cache". (Could we pick up "Wind Cave" on the same day?)

I'd like to consider going out to Manzana Schoolhouse (GCAE55). It and Baby Bessie are in the San Rafael Wilderness. I have read about them at the Santa Barbara Hikes website.

It sure would be great to go with a group of us - the cache page says its 8 miles one-way from the trailhead. The "trail reports" say six hours, so...

Check out Bryan Conan's map of the area. I bought his paper map, but the interactive one is waaaay cool. BTW, click and drag a square to zoom into an area & F5 (refresh) to get the whole map. Brian Conant's interactive map

If others are interested, we should read up on it as much as we can and make plan of attack. If not this trip, then another time. But definately a POC Hike to be. Thanks BooBooBee for reminding me of this cool hiking area.

I'd like to consider going out to Manzana Schoolhouse (GCAE55). It and Baby Bessie are in the San Rafael Wilderness. I have read about them at the Santa Barbara Hikes website.

It sure would be great to go with a group of us - the cache page says its 8 miles one-way from the trailhead. The "trail reports" say six hours, so...

If others are interested, we should read up on it as much as we can and make plan of attack. If not this trip, then another time. But definately a POC Hike to be. Thanks BooBooBee for reminding me of this cool hiking area.

I might be interested in a springtime attack on these caches and an overnight stay but to attempt this 12 hour hike at this time of year would not be fun IMHO. Even if you left the trailhead at 8 AM, which would mean us north county folk would need to get up at 5AM to make the drive, it would still mean walking back in the dark, cold and tired and then a long drive home. :(

Hate to throw cold water on this hike but I think it might be a bit more to bite off than most of us weekend warrior hikers could chew. :D

I might recommend several other hikes that aren't as long and would avoid walking in the dark.

One, would be the hike on East Cuesta to High Lowe Mountain then hike down to Miner's Lettuceand Rinconada Mine and take a van parked there back to Cuesta Grade trailhead.

Or

Take the West Cuesta road starting at R.B.C. and hiking to Geico Caveman and Hikerbees then hike down to Cerro Alto campground where we would stash a van to haul everyone back to the start. I've done this hike and it is just short of 11 miles and is fairly easy hiking with only a short stretch that is somewhat steep and has 6-8 caches along the way.

Or other thoughts would be to make a longish hike in Irish Hills or Montana de Oro.

Just some ideas for discussion. :(

I might recommend several other hikes that aren't as long and would avoid walking in the dark.

One, would be the hike on East Cuesta to High Lowe Mountain then hike down to Miner's Lettuceand Rinconada Mine and take a van parked there back to Cuesta Grade trailhead.

Or

Take the West Cuesta road starting at R.B.C. and hiking to Geico Caveman and Hikerbees then hike down to Cerro Alto campground where we would stash a van to haul everyone back to the start. I've done this hike and it is just short of 11 miles and is fairly easy hiking with only a short stretch that is somewhat steep and has 6-8 caches along the way.

Or other thoughts would be to make a longish hike in Irish Hills or Montana de Oro.

Can you drive from Cuesta grade all the way to Cerro Alto campground?

Or

No, you have to drive down 41 and leave a car there then drive to Cuesta grade and walk to the car. Like I said, I've done that and it was a nice hike.

No, you have to drive down 41 and leave a car there then drive to Cuesta grade and walk to the car. Like I said, I've done that and it was a nice hike.

That sounds like a good hike. Can we do that one?

Have Backpacked out to School House many times but not in the past few years. I have been to the grave site and know of another grave further on up the trail. It's not a bad hike but I would be a push for a one day out and back. best time to go would be April or early May after that it gets hot. there are several creek crossing on the way. Mountain biking might be an option.

Edited by LOSt OSOS

I'm thinking that the Cuesta Hike to Cerro Alto Campground sounds like a GREAT New Year's Eve Hike! Not too far out of the way, should be nice clear outstanding views of the Morros and Morro Rock. And I like the idea of doing it one way with the shuttle cars.

The Huasna Rd. to Pine Ridge would be another nice hike, it's just that I can never get a straight answer from the Rangers as to whether the road is open beyond the wooden bridge.