Best kid-safe bug repellent?

CacheScouts

(I did a search first, but couldn't find anything so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered)

Just started geocaching last weekend and we all loved it! However, we're still suffering the bug bites in spite of the bug spray we used. They got us under our clothes even! Any tips for a safe but effective product, as well as tips on applying it for maximum effectiveness? I'd prefer to avoid DEET if we can, although I've read that concentrations of 10% or less are considered safe for kids. Thanks!

Since you are not hunting animals, for adults you can use good flea and tick collars around your ankles, or if you are cheap (like me), dip a rag in some kerosene and tie it around your ankles (be aware this could cause you grief if you smoke or if there is some freak mishap).

I use Avon Skin So Soft for my daughter (she is 6). It is a recommended bug deturent used by many summer camps accross the nation (it does work rather well).

Good luck

"Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?"

Deep Woods Off is 100 percent DEET. Most of the other bug sprays only last about 20 mins. OFF will last 10 hours.

I spray a bit on the back of my neck and a few sprays on my calves. As long as you don't let OFF into your eyes, mouth or nose it's safe. I also take a shower and do a tick check as soon as I get home.

The research shows that DEET isn't as dangerous as you have been led to believe. I wouldn't use it on a child 8 and under. The key is to not put it anywhere that your hands will come in contact with it.

The other thing you might try is Citronella plants. I grow them on my deck and have no bug problems. It grows like a weed so you could take some leaves with you and rub it on the kids every 20 mins or so. The oil in the leaves is what keeps the bugs away.

The latter is as safe as it gets. But the oil will only last 20 mins or so. If you forget to re-apply it you will get buggy again.

Good luck. check for ticks and learn the proper way to remove them. Tweezers near the mandibles , don't squeeze the body and pull straight up.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I've tried this a few times, and it seems to work.....however, it may not appealing for everyone! Eating some raw garlic a few hours beforehand tends to put off the mosquitos. They don't dig the odor too much. Not many people will want to go near you.....but, neither will the mosquitos!

C3P2,

Welcome!! It is always great to see new geocachers in our area!!

It is interesting that you brought up the bug issue. We have been geocaching in north Texas all spring without a problem, then ran into what must have been a major infestation of chiggers last weekend. My ankles look like I have leprosy or something!! With that in mind, I picked up a couple of bottles of permithrin for our geocaching clothes when I was at REI earlier this week. Hopefully that will help solve the problem in the future.

You probably already saw it, but there is an excellent discussion of a number of bug issues at the following thread: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3810966883&m=7210915314&p=1

It is very long and is originally directed more specifically to ticks, but there seems to be a lot of good information there.

Good luck. I hope you have as much fun as we have had. I would guess that if you are not being deterred by the bugs you may be as addicted to geocaching as we are!! icon_biggrin.gif

Happy caching!

Alchemist2000

C3P2,

Welcome!! It is always great to see new geocachers in our area!!

It is interesting that you brought up the bug issue. We have been geocaching in north Texas all spring without a problem, then ran into what must have been a major infestation of chiggers last weekend. My ankles look like I have leprosy or something!! With that in mind, I picked up a couple of bottles of permithrin for our geocaching clothes when I was at REI earlier this week. Hopefully that will help solve the problem in the future.

You probably already saw it, but there is an excellent discussion of a number of bug issues at the following thread: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3810966883&m=7210915314&p=1

It is very long and is originally directed more specifically to ticks, but there seems to be a lot of good information there.

Good luck. I hope you have as much fun as we have had. I would guess that if you are not being deterred by the bugs you may be as addicted to geocaching as we are!! icon_biggrin.gif

Happy caching!

Alchemist2000

I use Avon Skin so Soft. It is a bug repellent as well as a sunscreen and contains no deet. I have used it for 2 summers now and swear by it! icon_biggrin.gif You can order it direct from Avons web site.

Happy geocaching

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

I use Avon Skin so Soft. It is a bug repellent as well as a sunscreen and contains no deet. I have used it for 2 summers now and swear by it! icon_biggrin.gif You can order it direct from Avons web site.

Happy geocaching

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

We very much appreciate all the tips and advice. I think we're about healed from all the bites from last time - finally!

We've picked up a few different things to try and hopefully we'll find something that works for us.

Alchemist2000 - thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that one. Made my skin crawl, though, reading about all those ticks. Are there lots of ticks around here?? icon_eek.gif If there are, we got lucky that first weekend not to get them. I only remember getting ticks as a kid when we visited my East Texas relatives - yuck (the ticks, not the relatives)!

C3P2 (Children-3, Parents-2) icon_smile.gif

We very much appreciate all the tips and advice. I think we're about healed from all the bites from last time - finally!

We've picked up a few different things to try and hopefully we'll find something that works for us.

Alchemist2000 - thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that one. Made my skin crawl, though, reading about all those ticks. Are there lots of ticks around here?? icon_eek.gif If there are, we got lucky that first weekend not to get them. I only remember getting ticks as a kid when we visited my East Texas relatives - yuck (the ticks, not the relatives)!

C3P2 (Children-3, Parents-2) icon_smile.gif