What Do Your Sig Cards Look Like?

PC Painter

I think the sig card idea is great. I'm considering two different ones. One to tell the cache finder that they're welcome to take the card...and one for the cache owner, as a thanks for the cache, to put in their collection.

I'm planning on putting the scarab in my avatar on it if it's not too expensive. So... can some of you describe yours, what info you have on them, post pics of them, and tell me where you got them? Please? Thanks!

I've placed more than 50 caches over time. Since I only need one card you could probably get by with one design.

If a card stays in a cache for any length of time they tend to get worn out.

If you say "I put a sig card in the cache" the owner can zip over and snag it if they haven't found it in the other 400 caches they have found in the last year or so.

As for what my sig card looks like... I'm still working on it... I used to use a Trading Card as my Sig Item. That got traded around and torn up. Only one person that I know of added it to their collection. So I gave it up.

Thanks for the replies so far. Here's the front of the card I'm designing...

sigcard1a.jpg

On the back I'll have it plain white, with the info on it. I'm hoping it'll look cool enough that people will WANT to take it, and not think I left it to stay there.

I'm going over to that site now, to check out the pics.

I use two sig cards.

One is a "Thanks for playing, glad you found my cache" card, (there a number of them placed in each cache for finders to take), the other is one that says "I found your one!"

(meant for the original cache hider if he wants to take it when he/she does maintenance)

I made them up using CorelDraw, printing in colour, folded them to make double sided and laminated them in plastic. Theyt are a bit larger than the standard business card.

Each one is unique. I am a sem-pro wildlife and nature photographer, putting a different animal picture on the back of each card. Makes them kinda special, IMHO.

If I knew how to place an image in a post I'd show you! :blink:

I use two sig cards.

One is a "Thanks for playing, glad you found my cache" card, (there a number of them placed in each cache for finders to take), the other is one that says "I found your one!"

(meant for the original cache hider if he wants to take it when he/she does maintenance)

I made them up using CorelDraw, printing in colour, folded them to make double sided and laminated them in plastic. Theyt are a bit larger than the standard business card.

Each one is unique. I am a sem-pro wildlife and nature photographer, putting a different animal picture on the back of each card. Makes them kinda special, IMHO.

If I knew how to place an image in a post I'd show you! :blink:

Living in such a unique area, you could do a wildlife series of say, 5-10 animals including their pictures. Include a prize at the end for people that get all of your cards.

I make my signature items out of wood. They are mini animal silouetts. Each one goes into a plastic bag along with my "Cirtificate of Authenticity" It is then identified as, "a genuine trade item found in a geocache in the Mojave Desert of Southern California." I'm working on a sig card declaring my visit to a cache.

Edited by rebapac
I'd be happy to insert my sig card photo here if I could figure out for the life of me how to post an image. When I try with the "IMG" button here, it asks me to plug in a URL, not an image. ::shrug:: :blink:

That's because it has to be loaded on a web site. One that your service provides, or you can go after a freebie service that will allow it. This forum references the web location to place it in the thread. That's a space saver for Groundspeak for otherwise useless junk that can get posted in these forums.

Please note: I'm not implying any pictures posted in these forums are junk, but you have to draw the line someplace and there's a lot of goofy stuff that does get posted.

Here's the backside I'm planning...

sigcard2bsm.jpg

Not that I'm a knit picky type of person, but you should have it say "CA" instead of "Ca" :(

Oh, and to answer your question, I am making my own signature cards - not designing them, making them. As in glue, paper, scissors, rubber stamping, etc... using the image in my avitar as the main image.

I'm going to do a cache where most of the swag is sig items, and I'm going to put five special magnet versions in there for people.

Edited by fly46
Here's the backside I'm planning...

sigcard2bsm.jpg

Not that I'm a knit picky type of person, but you should have it say "CA" instead of "Ca" :(

Oh, and to answer your question, I am making my own signature cards - not designing them, making them. As in glue, paper, scissors, rubber stamping, etc... using the image in my avitar as the main image.

I'm going to do a cache where most of the swag is sig items, and I'm going to put five special magnet versions in there for people.

Doh!

Since the What do they look like part is pretty well covered and mine is in one if not all of the sites, I get mine done at VistaPrint since the printing is "free" and you only pay about $5 for shipping on 250 cards. It takes about 2 weeks for them to come that way. However, they're a quality print that doesn't run when wet, which means that I can write when and where I dropped a card when I feel like it.

Of course, free means that they'll try to get you to add a carrying case or a glossy finish or upgrade shipping. But, still it's all been worth it to me.

Since the What do they look like part is pretty well covered and mine is in one if not all of the sites, I get mine done at VistaPrint since the printing is "free" and you only pay about $5 for shipping on 250 cards.  It takes about 2 weeks for them to come that way.  However, they're a quality print that doesn't run when wet, which means that I can write when and where I dropped a card when I feel like it.

Of course, free means that they'll try to get you to add a carrying case or a glossy finish or upgrade shipping.  But, still it's all been worth it to me.

I get around that "running" problem with my ink jet printed cards by clear coating both sides. Works pretty good. The cards act like they have car wax on them and the water just runs off.

Edited by TotemLake
I get around that "running" problem with my ink jet printed cards by clear coating both sides.

Clear coating with what? What do you use?

We laminate, and then write the cache find number in Sharpie Pen.

Clear coat spray from a craft store. It's bendable and foldable once it is dry. I put two coats on each side. You can get it in different finishes. I find the plain clear gloss is the best for my purposes.

Here's the card we use, with mini ammo box attached.  We laminate them to best 'weather' the elements  :P .

I thought of using the laminator, but that means one more thing I gotta have on hand and manage. I also use the clear coat to protect the key tags I make. It's pretty tough stuff. I've dropped the tags before and noted they don't take a scuff as they do when they are without the clear coat.

So I make a batch of both, set them on a card board sheet and spray them down. At room temperature, they're dry in minutes.

Edited by TotemLake

im not real artistic, and kinda lazy. so mines real basic.. i started with the handle bd_chris since im a bus driver. but went to using my amateur radio call sign. so theres about 20 or so cards out there i guess with the name bd_chris on them, all new ones have my callsign on them, still has the bus in the background though and a pic i grabbed from a webcam and gc logo.. anyways here t is below..

kf6jax_cachecard.jpg

I just created new cards today. I am a big White Sox fan and I have a few hundred misc. baseball cards (All White Sox) around so I decided to put them to good use. I created the image below and printed it on a 2x4 sticker. I just stick it to the back of the baseball card. Incorporates two things I love. Cachin' and baseball.

sigcard.jpg

:lol:

I read of this today and it kinda goes along with something I've been thinking about. I'd like to make a SIG coin using wooden nickle blanks (about the size of a 50 cent piece) but haven't figured out a good way to put a color transfer on them.

Anyone have an idea how to do this with not too much fuss and bother? I can either use a color inkjet or a color laser printer for the design. I have both types of printers.

:D

I just had my first 10 sigcards copied and laminated, it cost me a whopping $3.00

half of that was for the cardstock color copy that merged two sheets into one. They look good we will now see how they hold up in a cache environment.

For the next batch I will just print what I want on both sides of my "proof" thereby saving the color copy charge. have fun!

I just created new cards today. I am a big White Sox fan and I have a few hundred misc. baseball cards (All White Sox) around so I decided to put them to good use. I created the image below and printed it on a 2x4 sticker. I just stick it to the back of the baseball card. Incorporates two things I love. Cachin' and baseball.

sigcard.jpg

:lol::D That's great! :D:D

Hmm... This is a good idea; I'm going to start doing this. I don't want to pay to laminate or to get clear coat (unless it's cheap), so I'll just make it out of card stock. I may decide to attach mini plastic dragons to the cards. (I may also make them out of address labels for micros.)

Clear coat is basically the cost of a spray can of paint.

Hmm... This is a good idea; I'm going to start doing this. I don't want to pay to laminate or to get clear coat (unless it's cheap), so I'll just make it out of card stock. I may decide to attach mini plastic dragons to the cards. (I may also make them out of address labels for micros.)

Clear coat is basically the cost of a spray can of paint.

Yep, and it goes on just as easily.

Next time you're in WalMart go to the craft section... It's usually in the same isle as their acryllic paint.

I'm planning to start my sig cards soon... A little bit of hand written message, a stamped on image, a bit of card stock... Oh yeah, and glue... Should work out rather well.

Those of you who have pics of your sig cards but can't post them, email them to me: youropinion@yahoo.com and I will post them for you.

laugh if you must! I was visiting with another geocacher last night, and had a brain storm(or brain fart you be the judge) I asked him if he knew the size of a standard sports card, he couldn't recall for sure, so I checked it seems some time ago the "standard size " was changed to 2-1/2" wide and 3-1/2" high, so I made a template using those dimensions in my handy office suite, it looks like it work for "sig cards" just fine (geocaching is often referred to as a sport right?)

post your feedback.