at least i'm consistant!

Project Pardalis

It is my observation that 99% of Caches that are not found are there and we just look in the wrong place.

Just remember if your GPS says accuracy of 15 feet that is 15 feet in any direction and if the person hiding it had 15 or 20 feet accuracy then it could be 30-40 feet from where you think it is. First look around for the obvious then start looking in a search pattern. You might not find all of them but you will find most of them.

Keep on Caching it’s a blast.

icon_biggrin.gif

Pat in Louisiana

I never get lost. I simply investigate alternate destinations.

It is my observation that 99% of Caches that are not found are there and we just look in the wrong place.

Just remember if your GPS says accuracy of 15 feet that is 15 feet in any direction and if the person hiding it had 15 or 20 feet accuracy then it could be 30-40 feet from where you think it is. First look around for the obvious then start looking in a search pattern. You might not find all of them but you will find most of them.

Keep on Caching it’s a blast.

icon_biggrin.gif

Pat in Louisiana

I never get lost. I simply investigate alternate destinations.

I always recommend looking for 1/1's first. That way you can get the idea of how they are hidden and what to look for before heading out to the more difficult caches.

The only problem with this theory is that the 1/1's are often Urban Caches and more likely to turn up missing. I always try check the website before heading out to see if anyone has posted a no find on it.

If you still have trouble you might check out the forums for your reigon and see if the locals can recommend a few for you that they know to be good.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

i just got my first cache, but it took two tries, trusted my new gps to much but was within 10ft. of it twice the first time, the owner gave me a hint and found it with now trouble the seceond time. boy did I feel stuipd, start circling around, your gps and there's acc.level have to be added to each other. hope this helps,,, good hunting icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

stonefinder

i just got my first cache, but it took two tries, trusted my new gps to much but was within 10ft. of it twice the first time, the owner gave me a hint and found it with now trouble the seceond time. boy did I feel stuipd, start circling around, your gps and there's acc.level have to be added to each other. hope this helps,,, good hunting icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

stonefinder

A method I use when getting within a reading of 100ft is to start walking very slowly. This gives the unit time to adjust. When your within 75ft or so.....look where the arrow is pointing and take a visual fix.

after that, stop relying on the GPS so much as your instincts. Ask yourself.......where would I put it in this area?

I hope this helps.

Happy geocaching

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

well out of 5 caches we've located 2. one of the caches we haven't been to find we've gone to 6 times, just can't find that one. one of the other ones i just don't think is there because the spot gets alot of traffic(it a short cut for school kids). one thing for sure though, my kids (8 yrs and 3 yrs)LOVE hunt for "treasure"!!!

cc

I am new to looking for caches as well. However, on my first attempt, I discovered that the Easy GPS program didn't seem to to get the right coordinates or I was entering them wrong, and I was miles off. Therefore, manually entering the coordinates and verifying them has helped a great deal.

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derilicts. Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent.

-- Calvin Coolidge (13th President)

First do caches that have been found before. My very first cache attempt was by someone new and they had really screwed up the coordinates.

Also make certain you have good sattelite reception. Sometimes people love to plant them in a forest and that also could make their coordinates way off. If I don't have a minimum of 4 strong signals I won't place the cache there.

But previous advice about using your instincts is good. When I'm close (within 50 feet) I just start looking for a good place to hide something. Usually a dead giveaway is bark, rocks or wood stacked neatly. After awhile it's funny how obvious some places can look.

I myself try to get new users to go out with me for a few hours. If you know someone in your area with experience try to hook up with them. It's great fun helping new cachers out.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

The only cache I've failed at was in Hawaii, the cache owner wanted you to go up someone's driveway and through their backyard. I never could find the right driveway and even if I did I wasn't going through someone's yard w/o permission. My last two successes were both hidden behind large chunks of bark on an old stump. Awesome job of hiding something in plain sight........